• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
100 for pleasure, 500 for saving.

The 100 for pleasure is a HomePod Mini. I got one for Christmas, so I just had to get a second one.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Right into savings just like I did with the last stimulus check. Maybe pay a chunk of my credit card bill.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Mostly books and fitness equipment. I think I'm set for videogames for a while.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Stocks. I wouldn't qualify if I were a single-filer. Only reason I'm getting anything is because my wife is a full-time student and we file jointly. A couple of months from now and we'll be well-over the joint filers income limit.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
House prices went up like crazy but rent went down?
A lot of people have been moving away from the Bay Area during the Pandemic, and fewer have been moving here - with the high cost of living, if you aren't working or are working from home this is a bad place to be. Especially with the high/dense population making it more likely to get sick. So rents have been dropping quite a bit without new renters.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people have been moving away from the Bay Area during the Pandemic, and fewer have been moving here - with the high cost of living, if you aren't working or are working from home this is a bad place to be. Especially with the high/dense population making it more likely to get sick. So rents have been dropping quite a bit without new renters.
So home prices have decreased there too?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
36c.jpg

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Nothing because I don't get one since I can 100% work from home and make too much to qualify. At least my taxes can go to helping those who aren't as lucky as I am.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Going into my checking account for bills/mortgage, assuming I even get it.

Assuming my mortgage refinance goes through in the next few weeks, THAT will ease up some money for me and I might finally be able to start saving for some non-necessary stuff.

If that happens, my wishlist is:
  • New, quieter microwave. Needed one for ages now.
  • Switch Pro??? If it's real and comes out this year, I'm definitely going to want it.
  • 4KTV. Probably wait another year or two for HDR and HDMI 2.0 stuff to be worked out a bit, and hopefully for OLED prices to go down a bit more.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So home prices have decreased there too?
Not sure, but I rented an apartment 3 weeks before lockdown, and the next-door apartment to mine, same size/layout, is $250 cheaper per month right now. (I had bad timing, I moved to a really expensive apartment because it was a 5 minute walk from work...3 weeks later, I had no commute, could live anywhere)

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
We're fortunate enough to be financially stable, so all of our stimulus is going to local food banks and other non-profits. Same thing we did with the last stimulus. If you want to help too, you can hit up whatever your local Feeding America organization is, or look for something else local.

Did you know? Even if you take the standard deduction this year, you can ALSO deduct up to an additional $300 on your taxes this year if you do a bit of donating to legit nonprofits.

Special $300 tax deduction helps most people give to charity this year – even if they don’t itemize | Internal Revenue Service

IR-2020-264, November 25, 2020 — The Internal Revenue Service today reminded taxpayers of a special new provision that will allow more people to easily deduct up to $300 in donations to qualifying charities this year.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure, but I rented an apartment 3 weeks before lockdown, and the next-door apartment to mine, same size/layout, is $250 cheaper per month right now.
Well I hope people move back there next year because they have ruined housing prices here, I could have built a house last year for 150k now it will cost me 180k to build

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Definitely my credit card bills. Christmas wasn't cheap for me this year, gotta soften the blow somehow.

stressboy

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I are just taking a few hundred each to play with, so I am getting an nvidia shield pro. The rest to bills.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Real talk, you should sit on it until february.

I feel like tax time is going to be a real haymaker for people this year.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
We're fortunate enough to be financially stable, so all of our stimulus is going to local food banks and other non-profits. Same thing we did with the last stimulus. If you want to help too, you can hit up whatever your local Feeding America organization is, or look for something else local.

Did you know? Even if you take the standard deduction this year, you can ALSO deduct up to an additional $300 on your taxes this year if you do a bit of donating to legit nonprofits.

Special $300 tax deduction helps most people give to charity this year – even if they don’t itemize | Internal Revenue Service

IR-2020-264, November 25, 2020 — The Internal Revenue Service today reminded taxpayers of a special new provision that will allow more people to easily deduct up to $300 in donations to qualifying charities this year.
You are a good person. Kudos to you.

I am seeing so many posts about how "I'm going to buy a new soundbar" or "new parts for my computer" or even just "I'm putting it into savings", all of which means those funds were not necessary for that individual in the midst of a pandemic and speaks, in my opinion, to how checks to everyone may not be the best option. It's somewhat of a shame.

With that said, it's their money, so go forth and be merry I suppose.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm going to buy a standing desk and chair. Then put the rest in savings. Should be getting 1800 (ex wife owes me like 9k in child support so I get every dime the government ever gives her.)

Oct 25, 2017
I am seeing so many posts about how "I'm going to buy a new soundbar" or "new parts for my computer" or even just "I'm putting it into savings", all of which means those funds were not necessary for that individual in the midst of a pandemic and speaks, in my opinion, to how checks to everyone may not be the best option. It's somewhat of a shame.

It's primary function is stimulus via increased consumer spending.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
PS5. Had money in savings for it back in October but then had to blow it on new tires/brakes. As soon as I can find one, I'm jumping into next gen.

Or prostitutes.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Probably savings, maybe some new tires and an alignment for winter.

But isn't the $600 negated by the fact that we'll pretty much have to pay back what wasn't taken out of our paychecks for social security and taxes these last couple of months?