• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
In an alternate universe where Trump gets reelected, the United States becomes the alt-right capital of the world as everyone who doesn't like Trump leaves the nation.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
My wife and I are concerned enough that yes, we're exploring our options in Canada. We're very much in the research stages, but we're looking at things like cost of living, jobs, schools, etc to get a feel for the different cities. The timing is tricky of course, but in 2020 we will both have been at our jobs for awhile so it will make sense to explore options, just now we'll be looking over the border.

There's also the issue of climate change. The long term climate forecast is playing a roll in any decision we make about moving.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
No. I wouldn't leave if he was president for 20 years. My family is here, my friends, established careers where moving is difficult. As much as Trump is a huge POS, I can't think of one single thing he has done that has affected my day to day life or even long term besides tax changes.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of leaving the country, wouldn't it be easier to move to a to state / city that mirrors your political beliefs. Then, in 8 years, it will usually swing back.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't speak any other languages other than American-dialect English, I'm not paritcularly high-talent and feel like I could make a strong enough impression in another culture to make an easy transition, and I'm not well-traveled enough to feel confident in my ability to adapt.

Trump and his completely awful leadership does genuinely worry and frighten me about the future of this country, though, so maybe I guess I'd be pretty close to desperate enough to jump whatever hoops I could for a better future.

Really hope this country can kind of tip itself back onto a good path but I'm losing faith that's gonna be possible almost every week.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I would if I could, me and everyone I know are way to poor to ever be able to leave, but at least I'm in Oregon. Even if it's in a small town full of republicans at least none of there votes will matter for state policy.

Crawl

Oct 25, 2017
What is the European country most welcome to English speaking Americans living amongst them?

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
As a Canadian I hope you guys stay and fight back.. but I expect the Republicans to be cheating shits more than ever in 2020, so I wish you good luck. You're going to have to win by a good margin to even squeak one out if that makes any sense at all.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nope. Very few people would. If all those rich celebrities that threatened it if trump was elected the first time didn't leave regular people aren't going to. It'll suck if he's reelected but hopefully there are more dems in congress to prevent him from doing anything too stupid.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
I was hoping the UK would get their crap together so we could go there.

Overall, being a white middle class dude I think we will be OK. Just going to be preparing in case the shit hits the fan. Might keep an eye on Canada though.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
I will never have the means to leave, so no. Pretty hard for a person with disabilities to ever get out of this shithole.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I've been considering it, but I'd have to figure out some way to get Canada to take me.... hoping my so-so French (still learning!) is enough to get me into Quebec or something. And I'd have to make enough money to still pay student loans. Ugh. So anyway I'd say I WANT to but the possibility of doing so is considerably less.

If I didn't have student loan debt I'd almost certainly have already moved somewhere.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
Thought never crossed my mind. Life is, and will continue to be, okay. Cali is the place to be, and I'm not going to let some out of touch silver-spoon NY trust fund baby ruin my enjoyment of it.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish people would stop saying no one does anything. There are plenty of people who have been trying to make a difference in any way they could. Being handed L after L gets old after a while. And can you really blame someone for giving their all (they they could) and having nothing to show for it but the metaphorical bloody nose to show for it?

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
No. I do plan to get involved locally and help motivate people to get out and vote (Democrat) with as much time as I can possibly spare though.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
In my opinion, emigration is giving up basically and giving up isn't going to be good for the US or the world.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
No, I'm quite comfortable in New York.

Thankfully, it's a state that hasn't been affected too much by Trump's terrible presidency.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
No. That is the kind of thing only rich yuppies say and never follow through on.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
please

i'm not gonna let some garbage-ass piece of filth run me out of my country

fuck outta here

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Most people not even considering the possibility must be white and straight. Because 4 more years of Trump would have negative impacts on minorities.

Wait till the Canadian election this year might get a Canadian Trump.

If you think about Bernier, not a chance he's elected.
If you are thinking about Scheer, well, he's an asshole, but not Trump-level asshole.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm already waiting on my work visa to be approved, but had nothing to do with Trump. I'll still fully participate in the political process.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I seriously consider it every day.

Actually doing it is a lot harder.

please

i'm not gonna let some garbage-ass piece of filth run me out of my country

fuck outta here
Eh, it's more like "why would i want to live in a country that elected that guy TWICE?"

Why would I want to live among those people? This is what my country values?

Why live in a country where mass shootings are so common that they're just any given Tuesday now? Why live with people who are okay with keeping kids in cages? Who want to take away womens right, gay rights, trans rights, etc? Where people don't believe in climate change but do believe in a "hispanic invasion?"

I could go on about racism, education, health care, poverty, etc but my point is that Trump isn't the problem, he's the symptom. This country is trash.

Last edited:

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I've already been living overseas. Was Trump a factor? No. Even though I live overseas, I still vote thus I don't really think I'm "giving up". Plus I get to enjoy cheap health/dental care.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
I applied for a job in New Zealand last month and actually got a call back but the interview didn't go well. If Trump is re-elected I'll definitely be putting more effort applying to foreign jobs.

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
I've already moved out, but i'm right at the border and still work in the US. I didn't move because of Trump though, not entirely, but rather because CA's rent prices are insane.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
And go where? Each country seems to be going through its own craziness for the moment. Not sure where I would go tbh.

Jul 18, 2018
Most people not even considering the possibility must be white and straight. Because 4 more years of Trump would have negative impacts on minorities.

I'm not white and I'm staying.

I'd rather stay here and help contribute to the betterment of people through means of charity, work or other avenues, political or non political ways. Not going to be a coward and hide in fear, it's not like every other country in the world is having their own problems.

Shit, 9/11 was a shit stain of a time in the US and that didn't stop my family from trying to make it work during that hostile era of time.

GWB era was so bad.