• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
When I was with my ex, who made fantastic money in a highly sought-after field, I had hope to move with him to Canada or some such, seeing as I'm a targeted minority. However, despite early agreement, he mostly showed no enthusiasm for leaving the place we were at, so plans didn't go much of anywhere. Now that he's dumped me, I'm too poor to afford to move anywhere and cannot work due to disability. So whatever happens, I'm stuck here.

OP
OP
gutshot

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Women always need to have an exit strategy. 4 more years of Trump is domestic violence writ on a nationwide scale.

You can't blame us for not wanting to live out the rest of our years in Handmaid's Tale lite. Also thinking longer term, would you want to retire in a country where the social safety nets have all been crushed to dust?

I'm not going to lie, our urgency to leave was definitely influenced by watching The Handmaid's Tale recently. Like, I don't think the US will become Gilead or anything. But it's not crazy to think we may end up inching closer to it, especially when it comes to a woman's right to choose. As the father of two daughters, I don't want them to have grow up and live in a place like that.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
No exit strategy. Heck, I feel I owe it to people to stick it out and keep voting. If everyone with the means up and left that'd mean the people left behind would have it even worse since there'd be less people voting on their side.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Nope. I'll be damned if I'm going to leave any marginalized community to suffer. There will be plenty of people who can't leave and I plan on helping them. If there's a time to put my beliefs in practice, it's now when it's needed the most.

I don't fault anyone for wanting to leave.

OP
OP
gutshot

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
No exit strategy. Heck, I feel I owe it to people to stick it out and keep voting. If everyone with the means up and left that'd mean the people left behind would have it even worse since there'd be less people voting on their side.

One good thing about the US is you are allowed to still continue voting even if you are living abroad as a dual citizen. We've already voted by mail in this election and we absolutely intend to keep voting in US elections as long as mail-in ballots continue to be accepted.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
With COVID, we couldn't leave the US even if we wanted to.

538 is giving Biden an 80% chance of winning. That and the record breaking numbers of early voters is giving me hope that this nightmare will soon be over.
Trump losing will be nice, and man am I looking forward to breathing easier for a few years, but Trump still has supporters even after all this. And honestly I feel like he's only doing this poorly because a pandemic happened to strike at exactly the wrong time for him.

The next Republican candidate might not quite have Trump's flair for shit-stirring, but he'll also not be so completely incompetent at everything else. So I dunno, we're definitely not out of the woods. And with the SCOTUS in GOP hands for a few decades, possibly deciding to go all in on overturning any sort of progressive legislation... The nightmare might be over soon, but things can still be pretty scary IMO.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Already executed it. Got my US citizenship a couple of years ago to ensure I could return at any point and got a job that moved me back to Spain after 20 years in the US.

It was the best decision Ive made in a long time.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
I can empathize with your deontological perspective but if you and your loved ones are in active danger I don't think you're morally obligated to sacrifice yourselves just to vote in what's already a pretty shitty representative democracy.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
If some Trump supporters break into my house after the election to lynch me someone please for the love of god backup my PS4 saves onto a external harddrive

OP
OP
gutshot

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Already executed it. Got my US citizenship a couple of years ago to ensure I could return at any point and got a job that moved me back to Spain after 20 years in the US.

It was the best decision Ive made in a long time.

How is living in Spain? We are still trying to decide where to permanently settle once we have our Italian passports. Not sure if we will stay in Italy or move somewhere else in the EU.

Nov 17, 2017
I just auditioned for 90 Day Fiancé: The Other Way.

Jokes aside, realistically I can't escape this country so I can only hope my city is liberal enough not to be the epicenter of racist bullshit and if it isn't, move to a US city that is. Besides, even if I could get out of this country, I'd be leaving my family behind to deal with this shit alone which I won't do.

If some Trump supporters break into my house after the election to lynch me someone please for the love of god backup my PS4 saves onto a external harddrive
Yes. Also there's a folder on my computer I need someone to delete without looking at what's inside.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
While I have a job that I can do anywhere, I have kids that I won't be leaving behind.

I don't trust my ex with the kids if I were to leave the country.

So here I stay.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Not with normies. People are too comfortable for that. It's why these "militias" are usually out of shape weekend warrior types cosplaying basically. Look at Kyle Rittenhouse--idiocy personified.

Remember the real Civil War had distinct standing armies that were mobilized. They were trained, had supply chains, barracks, forts, and all that stuff. It's not just idiots in trucks driving to downtown Portland as has been the recent case.

I always laugh at these Civil War fantasies. We're way too soft for that.

Plus those militias aren't going to be coming for white liberals.
And honestly I feel like he's only doing this poorly because a pandemic happened to strike at exactly the wrong time for him.

Because that is what's happening. No President has lost re-election when the economy was good, it has always been in a time of economic crisis where change occurred.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How is living in Spain? We are still trying to decide where to permanently settle once we have our Italian passports. Not sure if we will stay in Italy or move somewhere else in the EU.
Its my home country and I got to move to Barcelona on a California salary so its amazing.

Any country in Europe could fit the bill depending on your goals. Spain is amazing but Im sure Italy can be quite comfortable

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
There very likely won't be any kind of civil war or revolution. Americans forget how much power is truly held by the rich in this country. They would not allow a revolution or civil war and a few thousand people taking part in protests in several large cities are not going to change that. if tump wins what will happen is a continued steady decline. that's it.

having said that i completely understand moving. i myself am moving but for reasons other than "escaping US". expecting people to stay and "fight" for their country is misguided. let people do what they feel is best for them and their family. but of course let them know if their stated plans are unrealistic or foolish/bound to fail.

Deleted member 73246

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 28, 2020
Four years in the army just to get up and run? Nah, I'll get my family to move to Mexico. My husband and his mom can join them but my ass is staying. I'll be damn if I'm going to let some nazi, home grown terrorist, maggots run me out. Bad thing is I'll stand out since I'm a little on the browner side but hey this homo is not running.

Sep 14, 2019
Nope.

My family and I don't have the privilege to have an "exit strategy."

And even if we did, I think I'd let them go somewhere and stay safe, while I'd stay here and join the resistance or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, we quickly ruled out applying for a work visa when we were looking for ways to immigrate. It's a long and complicated process.

They have jure sanguinis or "citizenship by descent". My wife is a third generation Italian, so we just have to provide documentation proving her ancestry, and she and our kids will gain Italian citizenship.

I could have sworn this law changed to require your direct to be a citizen still.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I do actually lol. I have an interview for a software engineering job in Spain. I'm a dual citizen and one is a former colony and it technically only takes two years of residency to be able to apply for citizenship for former Spanish colonies. I'm mid interview process right now so even if Biden wins and its Dem trifecta, I may be looking to move to Madrid.

If things look better in like 4-8 years, sure I'll come back. I won't be selling my house and Los Angeles will always be home.
Not to be the typical European in these threads taking cheap shots at the situation in the US, but if you want somebody to talk to when you are over here, drop a PM.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
The problem is that human brains are shit for proportion.

People: your loved ones are going to die. You're going to suffer then die. Guaranteed! 1000%.

Compared to that, a budding dictatorship is nothing. Gotta stay and fight the whole way down.

Maybe in 200 years, they'll make a Hamilton-style play about ERA's founding fathers.

Who wants to be in a play?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. This is my country, and it belongs to all of us who want better things for each other and our future. I will go down with this ship, fighting if it comes down to it (although I hope not, I'm a terrible fighter).

OP
OP
gutshot

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I could have sworn this law changed to require your direct to be a citizen still.

There are some caveats that apply. I don't remember all the details but your ancestors have to not have renounced their citizenship before or after a certain date. We thankfully qualified for citizenship but not all Italian-Americans would.

But worth looking into, IMO, for any Americans with Italian heritage. You don't even need to move to Italy. You can apply at a consulate in the US, although you are looking at a year wait for an appointment and then another 2-3 years for the paperwork to process. Moving to Italy gets it done a lot faster, but is obviously a huge life change not everyone can afford.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Donald Trump. Fuck the Republican party. Fuck white supremacists. This is my country and I'm ready to fight these fuckers until one of us is gone. As a straight white man it is incumbent upon me to utilize all 3 of those privileges to fight for everyone else. Could not give less of a flying fuck about these Proud Boy coward motherfuckers.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
It'd fun to think about, but making that decision is hard

I could move to the UK, Aus, NZ, or Ireland tomorrow with my passports and stay there forever. But uprooting your life is a huge undertaking itself, let alone the immigration legalities.

That is probably why I will stay. I don't really believe in this country and it's not my first choice, but my friends, family, school and job are all here.

Oct 25, 2017
There are some caveats that apply. I don't remember all the details but your ancestors have to not have renounced their citizenship before or after a certain date. We thankfully qualified for citizenship but not all Italian-Americans would.

But worth looking into, IMO, for any Americans with Italian heritage. You don't even need to move to Italy. You can apply at a consulate in the US, although you are looking at a year wait for an appointment and then another 2-3 years for the paperwork to process. Moving to Italy gets it done a lot faster, but is obviously a huge life change not everyone can afford.

That explains it. At one point my dad dropped his and reapplied later but it doesn't carry the same weight

That said, Italy ain't no prized gem either. Economics aren't great and boy are they racists. Oh and corrupt as fuck

Oct 29, 2017
Wow just up and leaving? It's kind of privileged to think everyone can leave. We hang in there and not let our country fall to hate.
If we have to stay in our homes then we need to support our neighbors and communities.
no fearmongering

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'll be leaving. I don't think people truly grasp what's at stake in this election. There's no coming back in our lifetimes from a second term of Trump.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I just auditioned for 90 Day Fiancé: The Other Way.

Jokes aside, realistically I can't escape this country so I can only hope my city is liberal enough not to be the epicenter of racist bullshit and if it isn't, move to a US city that is. Besides, even if I could get out of this country, I'd be leaving my family behind to deal with this shit alone which I won't do.

Yes. Also there's a folder on my computer I need someone to delete without looking at what's inside.
God help them if they type "nh" into my search bar 🙊

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I did some research a few weeks back on moving to Sweden. Even if Biden wins, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of leaving the US.

OP
OP
gutshot

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I did some research a few weeks back on moving to Sweden. Even if Biden wins, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of leaving the US.

Yeah, I made my post about being fearful about the upcoming election but that isn't the only reason we want to leave. The US is just not a great country to live in, by many metrics. And I don't see it improving much in the near future, due to entrenched ideologies and systems.