• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

JALALABAD, Afghanistan (Reuters) - A U.S. drone strike intended to hit an Islamic State (IS) hideout in Afghanistan killed at least 30 civilians resting after a day's labor in the fields, officials said on Thursday.

The attack on Wednesday night also injured 40 people after accidentally targeting farmers and laborers who had just finished collecting pine nuts at mountainous Wazir Tangi in eastern Nangarhar province, three Afghan officials told Reuters.

Angered by the attack, some residents of Nangarhar province demanded an apology and monetary compensation from the U.S. government. "Such mistakes cannot be justified. American forces must realize (they) will never win the war by killing innocent civilians," said Javed Mansur, a resident of Jalalabad city. Scores of local men joined a protest against the attack on Thursday morning as they helped carry the victims' bodies to Jalalabad city and then to the burial site.

Horrible news. For Afghan civilians America must appear to be pure evil. For some this must be the only thing they know about America. The amount of civilian casualties is insane to look at, it's pretty much the same every year. It's like these innocent lives are just accepted as a part of warfare.

afg-civilian-casualties.jpg

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory generalizations and attacking other members, history of similar behavior
PoliEra and their pragmatic and condescending tone on anyone anti war ----

please defend this.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
I wish peace to people within and beyond the afghan borders. Nobody should go through this horror.
I'm sure this won't help radicalize anyone
Well, you can't put this on incompetence anymore. It's either a lack of will, funding, organization or all of the above. It might also be done on purpose, I guess. The question would be then why?

In any case, we should name the responsibles and make sure they never are in charge of such affairs.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Americans are sending Americans to a country a 14 hour flight away to kill the people of a country that quite literally pose no actual threat to America.

Of fucking course America is evil. It's just "LaWFUl" evil.
Easy to be "lawful" evil when you make the laws, you are the judge, you are the jury, and you are the executioner.

Oct 28, 2017
This is exactly why I am open minded toward Tulsi Gabbard despite her flaws.

I don't see any other Democrat actually changing these disgusting tactics except for possibly Bernie.

Innocent people are fucking dying directly because of us. How is this issue not more important to more people?

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
American imperialism at work and it is quite bipartisan. With the exception of a few democrats, the party at large won't make a big fuss about it.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
One on the biggest stains on Obama and the fact that it is still happening is sickening. Legitimately such a terrifying tactic. Mini death robots that kill you from the sky.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could you imagine if China had drone strikes in the US trying to kill terrorists but "accidentally" bomb a wedding every month? Would you just say 'dems the breaks when fighting terries' or would you devote the rest of your life for payback?

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Just checked WaPo (nothing,) CNN (nothing,) Fox News (nothing,) and NYTImes (below the fold, headline starts with "dozens killed by Taliban and possible drone strike.")

Fucking amazing. The US military evaporated 30 human lives by mistake and it's barely a news story. Any shithead who ever described jihadis as being "evil" should have the read outloud the names of each of these 30 people.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What the hell does this have to do with your original assertion that blowback is bullshit?

Because Pakistan is where we dropped over 400+ bombs in drone strikes over the course of a decade and is empirical evidence of the effects of drones on a population for an extended amount of time that happened to be over a decade? Pakistan tribal region/Afghanistan border is literally what "The Drone War" was.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about that, if they were innocent then why are they in Afghanistan being killed by drones huh answer me that

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
9/11 was what then exactly?

It definitely happens. Just because it doesn't occur in every circumstance doesn't make it bulkshit.

I never called it bullshit

9/11 wasn't blowback... blowback is unintended consequences from an intelligence operation. IE: Drone strikes are creating more "terrorists" and organizations than it's actually dismantling.

The intent of 9/11 was very obvious and those involved knew the US would go on the offensive, that was their intention.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I never called it bullshit

9/11 wasn't blowback... blowback is unintended consequences from an intelligence operation. IE: Drone strikes are creating more "terrorists" and organizations than it's actually dismantling.

The intent of 9/11 was very obvious and those involved knew the US would go on the offensive, that was their intention.
Eh yeah I dunno, there's truth in what you're saying as well.

I just wish we'd stop obliterating entire family lines on the regular. Innocents dying in the name of continuing our military-industrial complex and purposely keeping that region unstable. Our country is fucking rotten, most of us can agree there.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Someone controlled the drone right? That coward fuck killed 30 people so charge him. Manslaughter is manslaughter even if some asshat with 30 medals tells you to do it.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh yeah I dunno, there's truth in what you're saying as well.

I just wish we'd stop obliterating entire family lines on the regular. Innocents dying in the name of continuing our military-industrial complex and purposely keeping that region unstable. Our country is fucking rotten, most of us can agree there.

If you want to end the MIC, you need to make it so representatives and senators don't find incentives to lobby for defense contracts for their constituents and those people don't vote in the other guy when they say no to juicy deals for their states/districts.

MIC isn't endless wars, it's insane and pointless military budgets for things the military doesn't even request.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
If you want to end the MIC, you need to make it so representatives and senators don't find incentives to lobby for defense contracts for their constituents and those people don't vote in the other guy when they say no to juicy deals for their states/districts.

MIC isn't endless wars, it's insane and pointless military budgets for things the military doesn't even request.
You mean to me the nearly 700 trillion billion dollars might not be necessary?

God, imagine what our country could be if that money was spent on infrastructure and programs.