• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Like I said, it's considered inherently counterproductive (and obviously immoral) in modern military doctrine.

But Trump is an idiot and completly without morals, so you're right, why would that stop him.

He just says the quiet bits loud. These will be things that are obviously faux pas to say publicly but not behind the curtains.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Source to what?
To how the US used the term "Viet Cong base area"?
I'm basing it mostly on reading books about the war, but you can see from this wiki list -

These are areas where the US thought there is VC activity, not a specific actual bases where Vietnamese were getting weapon training, which is not something the US was ever really able to find.
Source for the rationale behind this particular bombing. But I do understand what brought you to that conclusion.

Either way, we've gone off topic.

He just says the quiet bits loud. These will be things that are obviously faux pas to say publicly but not behind the curtains.
I mean, obviously there are irrational people who believe irrational things in the military, but even divorcing morality from the discussion, specifically targeting cultural sites for the sake of destroying cultural sites would be called incredibly dumb and self-defeating by the vast majority of military strategists in the world, those in the US included.

Last edited:

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Even Trump doesn't have the balls to attack Iran cultural sites.

I don't think there's anyone left in the White House to stop him if he decides to do it. And all it would take is one phone call from Putin, or even just a snide Twitter remark from a political figure in Iran and he'd do it as a "show of strength."

I don't give Trump enough intelligence or sanity to credit him with thinking, "This is a dumb move," and I don't think any "Adults" are left to control him if he orders this.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I don't think there's anyone left in the White House to stop him if he decides to do it. And all it would take is one phone call from Putin, or even just a snide Twitter remark from a political figure in Iran and he'd do it as a "show of strength."

I don't give Trump enough intelligence or sanity to credit him with thinking, "This is a dumb move," and I don't think any "Adults" are left to control him if he orders this.

Well Putin is on Iran's side.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Source for the rationale behind this particular bombing. But I do understand what brought you to that conclusion.

If you are interested in the way targets were selected in the Vietnam war, any book that cover it from the white house and/or air force perspective will do. The US didn't have good intel at all, especially not about where the VC were. They picked points on the map and said "hmmm could be here" and leveled them.

Anyway, I tried to tell my best understanding of the My Son bombing and at least in rough terms what my thoughts on this are and how I came to arrive to them. I'm not an expert, I just went there, randomly, and then read everything I could find about it, which is not a ton.
Not sure you'd want to read a footnoted paper on this, I'm fairly certain I don't want to write one.

Also for real, you just learned about it, right? aren't you even a bit worried of finding yourself downplaying a really bad war crime? even if it's just a bit?
I mean I could be wrong, I get it, but I could be right, right?
I don't think you're doing it intentionally, but I think this instinctive habit of trying to see if maybe America is not really that bad in that war thing is something we need to fight.
This is Nixon we're talking about here.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If you are interested in the way targets were selected in the Vietnam war, any book that cover it from the white house and/or air force perspective will do. The US didn't have good intel at all, especially not about where the VC were. They picked points on the map and said "hmmm could be here" and leveled them.

Anyway, I tried to tell my best understanding of the My Son bombing and at least in rough terms what my thoughts on this are and how I came to arrive to them. I'm not an expert, I just went there, randomly, and then read everything I could find about it, which is not a ton.
Not sure you'd want to read a footnoted paper on this, I'm fairly certain I don't want to write one.

Also for real, you just learned about it, right? aren't you even a bit worried of finding yourself downplaying a really bad war crime? even if it's just a bit?
I mean I could be wrong, I get it, but I could be right, right?
I don't think you're doing it intentionally, but I think this instinctive habit of trying to see if maybe America is not really that bad in that war thing is something we need to fight.
This is Nixon we're talking about here.
Chikor, I'm not doing any of that. You have come to a conclusion on a historical event based on your own feelings and interpretation of the event, and I have said your conclusion may be correct. I am not assuming it's incorrect, but if you want me to just say you're right without any direct evidence, I'm sorry, I personally can't do that. I don't know what the rationale was for this particular bombing, and when I say I don't know I mean I don't know. That's not providing cover for the United States, I'm just not the kind of person that makes definitive statements on very specific historical events without something to base that statement on. If I were to write a textbook on the Vietnam War, I could not make the argument you are making in it.

Additionally, if you are correct about the My Son bombing, well then that action would have been against US military policy, and I already have said several time that violations of military policy happen and the US has destroyed cultural sites in the past. So I don't know what larger point you are trying to make that I haven't already concede.

Anyway, if you want to continue the conversation, lets take it to PM.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chikor, I'm not doing any of that. You have come to a conclusion on a historical event based on your own feelings and interpretation of the event, and I have said your conclusion may be correct. I am not assuming it's incorrect, but if you want me to just say you're right without any direct evidence, I'm sorry, I personally can't do that. I don't know what the rationale was for this particular bombing, and when I say I don't know I mean I don't know. That's not providing cover for the United States, I'm just not the kind of person that makes definitive statements on very specific historical events without something to base that statement on. If I were to write a textbook on the Vietnam War, I could not make the argument you are making in it.

Additionally, if you are correct about the My Son bombing, well then that action would have been against US military policy, and I already have said several time that violations of military policy happen and the US has destroyed cultural sites in the past. So I don't know what larger point you are trying to make that I haven't already concede.

Anyway, if you want to continue the conversation, lets take it to PM.
I don't know what to tell you, and I have no idea why you seem to be angry at me.
Let me try again, I was there, his is a pretty common tourist destination, it's a day trip from Da Nang. This is really something that most vanilla itineraries will have and not VICE EXTREME TRAVEL at all. They have a museum there. They have a lot of Vietnam war museums in Vietnam. I read the story there, never heard about it, I got interested and I decided to read about it as much as I can to see if it checks out, and I think that it does.
Are we only allow to talk about stuff we learned from wikipedia here?

And I get it that you need to take me at my word that I'm not making shit up, but what do I say which is outrageous?
I feel like all I'm saying is "Nixon did a war crime" and it's coming across like I'm saying the moon landing is faked.
Do you want like photos of passport stamps?

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know what to tell you, and I have no idea why you seem to be angry at me.
Let me try again, I was there, his is a pretty common tourist destination, it's a day trip from Da Nang. This is really something that most vanilla itineraries will have and not VICE EXTREME TRAVEL at all. They have a museum there. They have a lot of Vietnam war museums in Vietnam. I read the story there, never heard about it, I got interested and I decided to read about it as much as I can to see if it checks out, and I think that it does.
Are we only allow to talk about stuff we learned from wikipedia here?

And I get it that you need to take me at my word that I'm not making shit up, but what do I say which is outrageous?
I feel like all I'm saying is "Nixon did a war crime" and it's coming across like I'm saying the moon landing is faked.
OK.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Trump tweets in response to Iranian threats

I know we've been desensitized and beaten down by this shit, but just stop and take a breath for a moment. If I had told you 5 years ago that the President of the United States, right after ordering the assassination of Iran's top general, would threaten to obliterate 52 Iranian points of interest if they retaliate... via Twitter- would you have believed me?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I know we've been desensitized and beaten down by this shit, but just stop and take a breath for a moment. If I had told you 5 years ago that the President of the United States, right after ordering the assassination of Iran's top general, would threaten to obliterate 52 Iranian points of interest if they retaliate... via Twitter- would you have believed me?

The US president commiting a war crime on twitter is probably the most 20's thing ever too

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Trump has his news grabbing story for the next 6 months. Impeachment ain't shit if this keeps up. And it will keep up. He also gave Bolton some motivation to stay out of it. He can't testify while masturbating to Iran regime change.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

The thing is this may make them pause and think what they actually will do. Trump is fucking insane and they know he would probably bomb everything if given any reason.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is this may make them pause and think what they actually will do. Trump is fucking insane and they know he would probably bomb everything if given any reason.

Madman theory didn't work for Nixon, and I don't think it'll work for Trump either.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trump is a madman though, thats the problem.
I'll bet you all the Iraq war ghouls they have there are pushing him to "show strength". All those dickheads believe that it's important for other countries to believe that the commander in Chiefs has nor morals that will stop them from unleashing the full might of the US military.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Trump is a madman though, thats the problem.

He's also a moron. You don't tweet details about a hypothetical military response to an action that hasn't taken place. The Iranians have probably already guessed what the majority of the 52 targets are. Personnel and assets are already being moved, and air defenses are probably already being buffed up at some of those sites.

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
Unlike the other conquerors, Emperor Cyrus' tomb has stood untouched for over two and a half thousand years. He could have never imagined its explosive demise at the hands of a grotesquely stupid and orange liar throwing a tantrum on a magical service allowing leaders of nations to scream at each other across the globe.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
After reading the New Yorker article on the guy from 2013 it just underscores how complicated all this shit is.. Generally not in favor of interventionist foreign policy, but when Iran is trying to influence countries in the area like Syria (sounds like Qud Force was largely responsible for propping up the Asaad regime in the early part of the Syrian Civil War), Iraq, Lebanon etc. what is the appropriate response? Ideally I'd say we have no responsibility to be involved in the affairs of those countries, but obviously there's a point where it feels morally necessary to do so, ie genocide or use of chemical weapons on civilians.
That being said I don't think assassinating Soleimani was a necessary or prudent measure - seems the intel indicating an imminent attack was pretty thin and I don't think it'll have much effect on the Iranian regime's actions anyway.. Just put more people in danger.
Sanders 2020.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
After reading the New Yorker article on the guy from 2013 it just underscores how complicated all this shit is.. Generally not in favor of interventionist foreign policy, but when Iran is trying to influence countries in the area like Syria (sounds like Qud Force was largely responsible for propping up the Asaad regime in the early part of the Syrian Civil War), Iraq, Lebanon etc. what is the appropriate response? Ideally I'd say we have no responsibility to be involved in the affairs of those countries, but obviously there's a point where it feels morally necessary to do so, ie genocide or use of chemical weapons on civilians.
That being said I don't think assassinating Soleimani was a necessary or prudent measure - seems the intel indicating an imminent attack was pretty thin and I don't think it'll have much effect on the Iranian regime's actions anyway.. Just put more people in danger.
Sanders 2020.

Oh give me a break. Yeah US is in those countries because of morality and shit. Jesus.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sanders 2020.
If you don't think the assassinating is smart, why repeat the justification that the people who did it give for it?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
merica is sponsoring genocide in Yemen. We don't go after bad people because they're bad. It's amazing how 2003 is being repeated even without the fake wmds.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
merica is sponsoring genocide in Yemen. We don't go after bad people because they're bad. It's amazing how 2003 is being repeated even without the fake wmds.
Part of the reason that narrative was so easy to buy is because almost everyone living here has been indoctrinated into the American exceptionalism-nationalism ideology that painted all of our actions as looking out for the world and being the good guys with no nuance. Americans by and large don't think of the US as being an evil country despite our incredibly sordid history since its inception.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
well based on the videos, I think it is safe to say more people came to Soleimanis funreal today than to Trump's inauguration.

Someone post that on twitter. Gotta hurt his ego.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
soleimani's body has been brought back to iran. ahwaz is the first city where they're having a funeral for him.

soleimani-ahvaz-17hjv3.jpg

soleimani-ahvaz-3p4j25.jpg

soleimani-ahvaz-60kmkxa.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
When is the US gonna bomb Saudi Arabia since you know something something evil regime something something influence

America ignores it because it's helping to perpetuate said genocide and profits from it.

Which is why I'm so baffled at so many posts here trying to invoke moral superiority as the reasoning for these bombings

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Yup... dancing in the streets... happy that he was killed.
This admin will say anything for a Fox News soundbite

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
his second funeral is now going on in Mashhad, another city in Iran. tomorrow there will be a bigger one in Tehran (the capital), and then the day after a final one in Kerman (his birth place) where he's going to be buried. each day is a holiday in the respective city so people can attend.

3341203b7jp5.jpg

13981015000810_test_nq8j9a.png

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Trump is doing this shit while the US has never been so isolated diplomatically. Maybe only the Saudis will support him since they want to get rid of their regional rival as well.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
twitter is full of reports that the iraq parliament has voted to expel US forces from the country. waiting for a better source.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Manu Raju @mkraju

Top military adviser in Iran says his country's response to the United States will certainly be a military response "against military sites...It was America that has started the war. Therefore, they should accept appropriate reactions to their actions."​
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/05/middleeast/iran-soleimani-khamenei-adviser-intl/index.html …

"The only thing that can end this period of war is for the Americans to receive a blow that is equal to the blow they have inflicted. Afterward they should not seek a new cycle," Hossein Dehghan said

The only way Iran will negotiate with the US is if Trump is tried in Iran, the adviser tells @fpleitgenCNN. "There is only one way: first Trump must be tried in our own court, he should punished for the crime he committed. Then we could negotiate."​

7:58 AM - Jan 5, 2020

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
I'm feeling both sad and astonished by what is happening.

Assassinating a foreign military leader in a drone strike, and afterwards claiming commitment to de-escalation is like slapping someone and shouting no punch back. There is no way Iran can not retaliate proportionately, since Trump had already backed them into a corner.

If and when they do retaliate, escalation by hitting 52 new targets is completely irresponsible - and now that I think of it, exactly what Trump wants to do.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Manu Raju @mkraju

Top military adviser in Iran says his country's response to the United States will certainly be a military response "against military sites...It was America that has started the war. Therefore, they should accept appropriate reactions to their actions."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/05/middleeast/iran-soleimani-khamenei-adviser-intl/index.html …

"The only thing that can end this period of war is for the Americans to receive a blow that is equal to the blow they have inflicted. Afterward they should not seek a new cycle," Hossein Dehghan said

The only way Iran will negotiate with the US is if Trump is tried in Iran, the adviser tells @fpleitgenCNN. "There is only one way: first Trump must be tried in our own court, he should punished for the crime he committed. Then we could negotiate."

7:58 AM - Jan 5, 2020

Last part is NEVER happening and Iran knows it.

US leadership can conduct all war crimes and no one nowhere will ever hold them responsible.

Jibreel

Oct 25, 2017
They tabled the vote and it is expected within the next hour if i understand correct.

There are reports that Kurdish members of parliament are going to abstain from attending the vote.

If true I continue to be baffled by their decisions when time and time again the US betrays them. This is only going to increase sectarianism against them.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
his second funeral is now going on in Mashhad, another city in Iran. tomorrow there will be a bigger one in Tehran (the capital), and then the day after a final one in Kerman (his birth place) where he's going to be buried. each day is a holiday in the respective city so people can attend.

3341203b7jp5.jpg

13981015000810_test_nq8j9a.png
Basiji

Status
Not open for further replies.