• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2019
If it does turn into actual orders, I don't think it matters. They have to respect the chain of command. If he says "Bomb cultural sites and go after civilians too, just for good measure," are they actually going to listen to their conscience when they've already let it go this far?

I don't think anyone could stop that train if it gets to that point. We're long past reasonable minds staying "stop, go no further" and getting results. Trump already knows that even if he broke out the nukes, Fox and 30% of America would cheer him on and claim it's what they always wanted.
They can resign. Theoretically they can decide (as advised by DoD lawyers) that the order is not legal... which also involves resignation.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I still don't think Iran is going to directly make military attacks. They will likely stick to things like cyber attacks. Trump is so mercurial that I don't think he even knows what he is willing to do - I just can't see a direct military attack being worth the risk to Iran.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I'm sure most of us want trump to STFU, honestly, it scares me more when he goes silent. Making absurd threats is par for the course. It's when he goes silent during times like this that I get worried.

This is why killing Suleimani was such a dumb fuck move. US assets will be hit in one way or another. If Trump responds with an extremely disproportionate strike (there is a big chance of this happening) then really that's uncharted territory, even more so than now.

I think it's becoming more and more clear this was done to distract from impeachment and for the 2020 election.

The international community needs to get the fuck off their ass and begin start de-escalating. Offer Iran some economic bones and sanctions relief.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
This is why killing Suleimani was such a dumb fuck move. US assets will be hit in one way or another. If Trump responds with an extremely disproportionate strike (there is a big chance of this happening) then really that's uncharted territory, even more so than now.

I think it's becoming more and more clear this was done to distract from impeachment and for the 2020 election.
I strongly doubt Iran-proper will directly attack US assets. They would want to be able to deny being involved to keep escalation to a minimum.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That's legitimately insane. For all the faults of the United States, it has been military policy basically forever that "cultural significance" is a key reason not to attack a specific target.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any attack from a pro Iranian militia will be interpreted as an attack from Iran it sounds like.
Whenever an American soldier die, the US just bomb shit. Sometime it's stuff that is connected to the death, sometime it isn't, but they always bomb the ever living shit out of everything when it happens.
If American soldiers get hurt, people will die, and if history is any indication, a large number of them are going to be civilians.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Any attack from a pro Iranian militia will be interpreted as an attack from Iran it sounds like.
IMO, cyber still seems like the much more likely attack by them. They can do more actual damage, and it greatly lowers the risk of US military retaliation.

Having one of their proxies target a US bases in no way helps Iran, and the ramifications could be dire. Cyber can cause real damage and it is infinitely less likely to receive US wrath.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Trump is literally begging Iran for a war and it's so obvious, everyone should be able to see right though this shit and our media (as well as the candidates other than Bernie) need to do a better job.

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever an American soldier die, the US just bomb shit. Sometime it's stuff that is connected to the death, sometime it isn't, but they always bomb the ever living shit out of everything when it happens.
If American soldiers get hurt, people will die, and if history is any indication, a large number of them are going to be civilians.
At war we're championing them for doing deeds that may actually be harming the nation, and then if they are killed or injured doing so, the system basically ignores them. I don't understand why anyone would volunteer for our military.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At war we're championing them for doing deeds that may actually be harming the nation, and then if they are killed or injured doing so, the system basically ignores them. I don't understand why anyone would volunteer for our military.
The economic incentives are pretty damn serious. For many people, it's a really good way to move up into the middle class. And don't forget, most soldiers in the military are not in combat roles, and only a very small percentage of them actually see combat.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
It's better that Trumps allowed to tweet because then people are warned and can be appropriately outraged and push back

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Not just that.

The fact that he says he would target sites of Iranian cultural value means that he is threatening to commit a war crime.
Again, it's not just a war crime (which of course is bad enough). It's against US military rules of conduct and, even completely divorced from any moral considerations, is just incredibly counterproductive to any strategic plan.

People respond poorly to having their culture targeted for destruction. It does not pacify them, it enrages them, far more than a forgin power targeting legitimate military targets.

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump's twitter antics have legitimately fucked him over in courts in the past, so I don't mind him getting in his own way on social media.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Unless you live in Laos. Or any other nation on the end of secret conflicts.
I didn't mean to imply that the US never destroyed sites of cultural significance (obviously they have), but targeting sites because of their cultural significance is against policy, and even if done in secrete (which is of course awful), actively advertising that fact is absolutely insane.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Trump often says deranged and dumb shit he thinks is macho but threatening cultural sites is one step away from threatening genocide. It's posturing (in this case) but it's another level of out in the open depravity.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Twitter is a private company that has no duty to the public to provide Trump a pulpit.

Agreed.

But I'd argue that there's public interest (due to his position) in Trump tweeting as opposed to him not.

Like, he's one of the most powerful people on the planet.

Whether you like him or hate him, there's an interest in what he says.

He doesn't get more powerful through Twitter allowing him to post. And if they blocked him from posting directly, then there'd be nothing stopping him from just releasing it through other means and it still being all over Twitter through secondary reporting.

At least this way, it's a primary source of the POTUS publishing stuff publicly.

Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't mean to imply that the US never destroyed sites of cultural significance (obviously they have), but targeting sites because of their cultural significance is against policy, and even if done in secrete (which is of course awful), actively advertising that fact is absolutely insane.
Mỹ Sơn is perhaps the longest inhabited archaeological site in Indochina, but a large majority of its architecture was destroyed by US bombing during a single week of the Vietnam War.
French scholars investigating Mỹ Sơn at the beginning of the 20th century identified a then still existent edifice distinguished for "its majestic proportions, the antiquity of its style, and the richness of its decoration" as the temple of Sambhu-Bhadresvara constructed by King Sambhuvarman.[14] The edifice, which is known to scholars as "A1", was practically destroyed by US aerial bombing in the Vietnam War and is now little more than a formless pile of bricks.

There was no strategic reason for that, the US was just frustrated and that was a really famous temple.
That was Vietnam's Angkor Wat, only better preserved, and the US turned it into rubble because it was losing the Vietnam war and had no idea what to do.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

There was no strategic reason for that, the US was just frustrated and that was a really famous temple.
That was Vietnam's Angkor Wat, only better preserved, and the US turned it into rubble because it was losing the Vietnam war and had no idea what to do.
Umm, from that article:
The area was part of a People's Army of Vietnam and Viet Cong base area and consequently United States aircraft bombed the region in August 1969.
I'm completely open to the possibility it was targeted for it's cultural significance, but do you have any sources for that? I want to know about this.

Either way, that's obviously abhorrent.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Umm, from that article:

I'm completely open to the possibility it was targeted for it's cultural significance, but do you have any sources for that? I want to know about this.

Either way, that's obviously abhorrent.
"VIet Cong base area" is just what Nixon called the South Vietnam countryside.
This is just the bullshit America said to justify their carpet bombing campaign, they didn't know where the VC are. That attacked was also heavily condemned at the time.

I have been also been there, that place has no strategic importance, it's not in the way to or from anywhere important, nor is it a fortress.
It's just an ancient temple complex like Bagan or Angkor Wat but we never really got to see it because the US was bringing freedom to Indochina.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
"VIet Cong base area" is just what Nixon called the South Vietnam countryside.
This is just the bullshit America said to justify their carpet bombing campaign, they didn't know where the VC are. That attacked was also heavily condemned at the time.

I have been also been there, that place has no strategic importance, it's not in the way to or from anywhere important, nor is it a fortress.
It's just an ancient temple complex like Bagan or Angkor Wat but we never really got to see it because the US was bringing freedom to Indochina.
So, no source, but it's what you think the rational was.

OK, well, it's certainly posssible you are right.

Oct 26, 2017

Sure, but when the consequences for doing so are literally zero what's stopping the mask even going on.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever helps you sleep at night Drew. I don't see a difference. If you haven't noticed countries slicing up Syria for the last few years I dunno what to tell you. Israel's occupation of the Golan heights is now official (rather than unofficial, like how Israel gets away with their other occupations) and named after Trump.

Not to mention America's more 'subtle' ways of imperialism, which is an invasion and regime change to favour themselves.
Wait till you find out what China Ian doing in Africa if you think only America is evil. I don't see anyone praising what's the U.S. Is doing, but using Russia as if they haven't been just as bad for the Middle East is baffling to me. They literally helped prop Assad up.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sure, but when the consequences for doing so are literally zero what's stopping the mask even going on.
Like I said, it's considered inherently counterproductive (and obviously immoral) in modern military doctrine.

But Trump is an idiot and completly without morals, so you're right, why would that stop him.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, no source, but it's what you think the rational was.

OK, well, it's certainly posssible you are right.
Source to what?
To how the US used the term "Viet Cong base area"?
I'm basing it mostly on reading books about the war, but you can see from this wiki list -

These are areas where the US thought there is VC activity, not a specific actual bases where Vietnamese were getting weapon training, which is not something the US was ever really able to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.