• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
as they should be. USA conducting such an attack in iraq without informing them first is a huge insult to iraq's sovereignty, regardless of how they feel about iran.
If I remember correctly the prime of minister of Iraq was informed. He said that he wanted to stop the USA from doing so, but they did not listen to him.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
That's irrelevant, your read on the situation isn't gonna be different depending on where you live, unless you're accusing me of bias and not speaking the truth then that's a different matter.

It's extremely relevant, Iraq is a country split on sectarian and tribal lines. I would bet that my friends and their family who all hail from Kadhimiyya(and some of them currently live there) have a completely different read on the situation than you do.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's extremely relevant, Iraq is a country split on sectarian and tribal lines. I would bet that my friends and their family who all hail from Kadhimiyya(and some of them currently live there) have a completely different read on the situation than you do.
This isn't a Sunni and Shia thing, the cities that protests have been happening are all Shia cities, it's the Shia that speak against Iran's intervention, Sunnis were already against them so it wouldn't make a difference.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019

And how is his bias any different than your bias as a (presumably) left-leaning America who hates Trump and Republicans?

By the way this isn't about attacking you or your views. It's just that the "you're biased" argument is useless: we're all biased by our experiences and background. His views as a (presumably) Sunni Iraqi aren't rendered invalid just because his life experience led him to those views, just as your life experience led you to yours.

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The US isn'g going to "destroy" Iran unless Iran does something incredibly stupid and equally unlikely.
yeah, just like the US wasn't going to "destroy" Iraq unless Iraq did something incredibly stupid like have weapons of... oh, wait...
Russia basically said it was illegal (the last country on earth that should say a country is doing something illegal),
i think you'll find that's actually the US

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And how is his bias any different than your bias as a (presumably) left-leaning America who hates Trump and Republicans?

By the way this isn't about attacking you or your views. It's just that the "you're biased" argument is useless: we're all biased by our experiences and background. His views as a (presumably) Sunni Iraqi aren't rendered invalid just because his love experience led him to those views, just as your life experience led you to yours.
I'm Kurdish btw, I pretty much have no stake in this fight (hell some would also label me as a traitor) other than hoping for a better country, one that benefits its people instead of others.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a Sunni and Shia thing, the cities that protests have been happening are all Shia cities, it's the Shia that speak against Iran's intervention, Sunnis were already against them so it wouldn't make a difference.

That was pre-US illegal extra judicial killing. The situation has completely changed in both Iran and Iraq the past 48 hours. You have to realize that not everyone was either in the Pro-Iran or pro-US side, I'd say most Iraqis were actually ambivalent about either side and most likely distrusted both, but the assassination has changed the situation and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those people in the middle have now chosen a side(I would guess against the US).

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I suggest looking at Iran from Google maps to see how big it and Iraq are. Iraq further has a war going on at the western border due to Syria.

This is exactly how I wanted to spend the first weekend of the year. Studying borders and reading up on the last comparable conflict:
The agressor roles were "reversed" the last time, which will make the new conflict only worse.

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That was pre-US illegal extra judicial killing. The situation has completely changed in both Iran and Iraq the past 48 hours. You have to realize that not everyone was either in the Pro-Iran or pro-US side, I'd say most Iraqis were actually ambivalent about either side and most likely distrusted both, but the assassination has changed the situation and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those people in the middle have now chosen a side(I would guess against the US).
Which illegal killing? Of Soleimani and Al Muhandis? 2 people which were responsible for killing hundreds of Iraqis? People couldn't care less about them, the protesters didn't become pro Iran when hashid soldiers were killed in an airstrike before those and sure as hell won't do now for criminals, they also aren't pro US but US killing these militia leaders are welcomed, they are pro Iraq only and don't want their country to be a war zone between Iran and US.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The one thing this assassination did was unite the pro Iranian and anti Iranian shia factions in Iraq.

They are calling for the expulsion of the US from Iraq, if not politically then by violence. Either way Iran gets what they want. Trump's shortsighted decision was an L for regular Iraqis any way you look at it.

And if we're talking about anecdotal experience, every Iraqi I know is either extremely angry or worried about the consequences of this assassination.

Also, neither Trump or US brass give a shit about Iraqis. This was literally the "far out" option the Pentagon gave Trump, and he decided to do it because it might give him political points. Dude's in Florida right now playing golf.

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The one thing this assassination did was unite the pro Iranian and anti Iranian shia factions in Iraq.

They are calling for the expulsion of the US from Iraq, if not politically then by violence. Either way Iran gets what they want. Trump's shortsighted decision was an L for regular Iraqis any way you look at it.

And if we're talking about anecdotal experience, every Iraqi I know is either extremely angry or worried about the consequences of this assassination

All militia leaders in Iraq were pro Iran already, Muqtada himself visits Iran every once in a while, of course they are worried because these idiot militia leaders are gonna turn the country into a war zone for Iran.

WoodensBalls

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
User Banned (2 Months): Racism and Hostility; Account in Junior Phase
I have far more insight on the country than any of you do since i fucking live there, yes I can very much say people in general don't want Iran in Iraq and despise them, anti government protests have been going on since October, the same protests that chant against Iran and their leaders.

"But he's pro US" oh the horror, fucking Iran militia have been massacring people in the country without anyone batting an eye, if US is the one who can get rid of Iran then I'm pro US yes.
The protests were mainly about people being tired of the rampant corruption going on and because none of the reforms which were promised back in Abadi's administration hadn't been implemented with the same corrupt people holding position in the government. Iranian influence wasn't even one of the big points of the protests until you had rogue elements, both from security officers, militias and protesters causing trouble which then lead to anti-Iranian protests. Either way it was never primarily about Iran but about the average joe in Iraq wanting basic fucking rights which they weren't getting despite all money from oil. Only US and the white man's media and people like you spouting their propaganda said it was about Iran. I don't expect less about someone who didn't mind US bombing young men from half across the country fighting in the frontline against ISIS at the Syrian border (they didn't only kill them but ISF as well). You talk so much about Iranian interference (which yes is very real and quite bad enough) that you forget US violated Iraq's sovereignity when the prime minister asked them to not carry out an air strike and wait for Iraq to find the responsible actor since there was no proof the militia did it (especially when the area is rife with ISIS activity and they fire rockets at bases all time). Then they violated it again by not only assassinating a high profile foreign official at an official invation by the government in a civilian airport (you know...an airport used by civilians from your own country you claim to care about) but also a very high profile member in Iraq's own governemnt which the US claims to be an ally of. Yet you have the nerve to talk about Iranian interference in Iraq. Fuck off with that bullshit and take your Kurdish nationalist anti-Shia Sunni supremacy talking points with you. The average joe here is not familiar with your talking points but I know exactly what you stand for, you guys are easier to spot than a typical right-wing extremists in the western world. It doesn't matter how much you hide behind "I'm an Iraqi "(which you probably don't see yourself as like the majority of Kurds in Iraq) and "I live here". I see right through you.

FYI, pro-Iran militias aside, now you have the prime minister + politicians on most spectrums, anti-govt protesters, media, ppl interviewed on the streets, Iraqi media, Sistani (who is generally very much against Iranian influence) and non-Iranian backed PMU factions, nationalistic movements and even the Mufti mourning the death of them and calling them martyrs. Guess the protesters one don't fit your narrative very much does it? Considering how united the response seem to be from all factions in the country I guess that means Iraq will be out real Iraqis soon for you, woops! Go apply for US citizenship and enlist for their terrorist military since you love them so much. Meanwhile the rest of us hope to get some peace and not have these two countries destroy an already extremely fragile staiblity after the defeat of ISIS.

Regards,
A fellow Iraqi living much of his time in Iraq.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The protests were mainly about people being tired of the rampant corruption going on and because none of the reforms which were promised back in Abadi's administration hadn't been implemented with the same corrupt people holding position in the government. Iranian influence wasn't even one of the big points of the protests until you had rogue elements, both from security officers, militias and protesters causing trouble which then lead to anti-Iranian protests. Either way it was never primarily about Iran but about the average joe in Iraq wanting basic fucking rights which they weren't getting despite all money from oil. Only US and the white man's media and people like you spouting their propaganda said it was about Iran. I don't expect less about someone who didn't mind US bombing young men from half across the country fighting in the frontline against ISIS at the Syrian border (they didn't only kill them but ISF as well). You talk so much about Iranian interference (which yes is very real and quite bad enough) that you forget US violated Iraq's sovereignity when the prime minister asked them to not carry out an air strike and wait for Iraq to find the responsible actor since there was no proof the militia did it (especially when the area is rife with ISIS activity and they fire rockets at bases all time). Then they violated it again by not only assassinating a high profile foreign official at an official invation by the government in a civilian airport (you know...an airport used by civilians from your own country you claim to care about) but also a very high profile member in Iraq's own governemnt which the US claims to be an ally of. Yet you have the nerve to talk about Iranian interference in Iraq. Fuck off with that bullshit and take your Kurdish nationalist anti-Shia Sunni supremacy talking points with you. The average joe here is not familiar with your talking points but I know exactly what you stand for, you guys are easier to spot than a typical right-wing extremists in the western world. It doesn't matter how much you hide behind "I'm an Iraqi "(which you probably don't see yourself as like the majority of Kurds in Iraq) and "I live here". I see right through you.

FYI, pro-Iran militias aside, now you have the prime minister + politicians on most spectrums, anti-govt protesters, media, ppl interviewed on the streets, Iraqi media, Sistani (who is generally very much against Iranian influence) and non-Iranian backed PMU factions, nationalistic movements and even the Mufti mourning the death of them and calling them martyrs. Guess the protesters one don't fit your narrative very much does it? Considering how united the response seem to be from all factions in the country I guess that means Iraq will be out real Iraqis soon for you, woops! Go apply for US citizenship and enlist for their terrorist military since you love them so much. Meanwhile the rest of us hope to get some peace and not have these two countries destroy an already extremely fragile staiblity after the defeat of ISIS.

Regards,
well said

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I never thought I'd be insulted passive aggressively for being a Kurdish on a Era but here we are, that's obviously a bait alt account, just another to ignore.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All militia leaders in Iraq were pro Iran already, Muqtada himself visits Iran every once in a while, of course they are worried because these idiot militia leaders are gonna turn the country into a war zone for Iran.

Im not talking about the militia leaders, Im talking about the political parties (which have militias themselves). You probably already know this, but the militias and politicians in Iraq are intrinsically tied. Many of them were very much against Iran's influence in the country, that is not so anymore.

WoodensBalls

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
there are so many groups (specially shia groups) who are far more OK with iran's presence there than US's. do you consider them iraqi people or not?
i'm sure those groups you mentioned have killed far less iraqis than the US, yet you seem ok with the US. how does that make any sense?
the problem is you extrapolate your own views as the general view of the iraqi people, when it's clearly not the case. it is a view, but not THE view.
It's not a general view. He's adopting typical talking points used by many Kurds and neo-Baathists which robs Iraqis (mainly Shia) of having any kind of agency or capability to think for their own interest or whom they want to form alliance with. It's deeply rooted in a Sunni supremacy ideology which has always regarded Shia Arabs as puppets of Iran or "Persians" or other derogatory terms which also happen to be the same view groups like AQ, Al Nusrah and ISIS have. It's how they've been able to justify oppression and genocide for centuries of them in the post-Islamic Arab world. If you're not against Iran you're an Iranian puppet or a Persian or a Safavid (this is how many Iraqi Shia were killed or deported to Iran by Saddam), and if you're against them you're one of the "good ones" (and you'll be used as disposable trash). Not making any excuses for Iranian inteference in Iraq btw, it's there and exists in many ways but you're never going to get fully rid of it. We're neighbors, share thousands of years of history together which includes religion and culture to some extent as well as demographics to a lesser extent. Iraq will always influence Iran and Iran will always influence Iraq, it's just that Iran happens to be the stronger one around this time.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Im not talking about the militia leaders, Im talking about the political parties (which have militias themselves). You probably already know this, but the militias and politicians in Iraq are intrinsically tied. Many of them were very much against Iran's influence in the country, that is not so anymore.
What? You linked an article talking about people that were and remain pro Iran, who are these people that were against Iran?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a general view. He's adopting typical talking points used by many Kurds and neo-Baathists which robs Iraqis (mainly Shia) of having any kind of agency or capability to think for their own interest or whom they want to form alliance with. It's deeply rooted in a Sunni supremacy ideology which has always regarded Shia Arabs as puppets of Iran or "Persians" or other derogatory terms which also happen to be the same view groups like AQ, Al Nusrah and ISIS have. It's how they've been able to justify oppression and genocide for centuries of them in the post-Islamic Arab world. If you're not against Iran you're an Iranian puppet or a Persian or a Safavid (this is how many Iraqi Shia were killed or deported to Iran by Saddam), and if you're against them you're one of the "good ones" (and you'll be used as disposable trash). Not making any excuses for Iranian inteference in Iraq btw, it's there and exists in many ways but you're never going to get fully rid of it. We're neighbors, share thousands of years of history together which includes religion and culture to some extent as well as demographics to a lesser extent. Iraq will always influence Iran and Iran will always influence Iraq, it's just that Iran happens to be the stronger one around this time.
yeah, i'm well aware at the racism and marginalization that goes on against shias in other countries. they've been so marginalized in the past that now some see them reclaiming some relevancy in the societies that they're hardly minorities in as a threat.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Which illegal killing? Of Soleimani and Al Muhandis? 2 people which were responsible for killing hundreds of Iraqis? People couldn't care less about them, the protesters didn't become pro Iran when hashid soldiers were killed in an airstrike before those and sure as hell won't do now for criminals, they also aren't pro US but US killing these militia leaders are welcomed, they are pro Iraq only and don't want their country to be a war zone between Iran and US.

Yes those illegal killings. And those are not my words, they were stated by the UN special rapporteur for extra-judicial executions.

The airstrikes were of a far lower magnitude than what happened on Friday, and creating a war zone between the two countries in Iraq is exactly what the US did by assassinating a uniformed Iranian general in Iraq, a country where both nations are already heavy entrenched in.

Last edited:

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
good riddance

كس أمك واللي جابك ي قحبة و عساك ما تطلع من قبرك يالنكبة. بالتوفيق يا أهل عراق، الشعب العظيم

🙏🏽

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? You linked an article talking about people that were and remain pro Iran, who are these people that were against Iran?
uhhh read the article again.

Populist Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, who casts himself as a nationalist rejecting both U.S. and Iranian interference in Iraq and leads the assembly's largest bloc, mourned Soleimani and called on all sides to behave with "wisdom and shrewdness."

But he also ordered followers to be ready to protect Iraq, days after declaring his willingness to work with political rivals to end the U.S. military presence in Iraq through political and legal means.

Not to mention Sistani and other anti-Iranian clerics coming out against the US. Just because you want to live in your own reality doesn't make it real.

Abdul Mahdi warned that the air strike was "a dangerous escalation that will light the fuse of a destructive war in Iraq, the region, and the world."

Both Sadr and Amiri's camps have signaled their readiness to use violence if politics fail to expel U.S. troops.

WoodensBalls

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

Not to mention Sistani and other anti-Iranian clerics coming out against the US. Just because you want to live in your own reality doesn't make it real.
Not real Iraqis obviously, going by his own logic anyway. Not sure how he's gonna spin around anti-Iranian factions coming out against US but I'm sure he'll have an explanation.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The Gulf War was a direct after-product of the 80s Iran - Iraq War. Another factor to consider. We are already off to the bombing of a US base and the less direct bombing of a US embassy in Iraq. We may get a mixture of both wars at once if this goes on. Trump clearly wants this conflict and can just go around congress (or whatever) it seems, so we are fucked ladies and gentlemen. I am hardly an expert but this is the last thing the wider region needed.

I wonder how ISIS will take this one. Remnants should remain around Syria and Iraq. Trump´s cabinet came close to picking the worst target possible.

Edit: Ayatollah Ali Khamenei literally said "death to Trump" last year. This is how bad this is:

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Again, not a single name in that article was anti Iran in any shape or form.
good riddance

كس أمك واللي جابك ي قحبة و عساك ما تطلع من قبرك يالنكبة. بالتوفيق يا أهل عراق، الشعب العظيم

🙏🏽
ياخويه الإيرانيين ذيولهم هواي بالعراق أبد ميرتاح هلبلد.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, not a single name in that article was anti Iran in any shape or form.

So let me get this straight, you said this:

Yet every shia political, military and clerical leader coming out against the US, in support of Suleimani, with hundreds of thousands protesting and mourning in Baghdad, Najaf, Karabala. So according to you, the Shia cities were protesting Iran's influence yet now, most if not all, influential Shia leaders and cities support booting the US from the country, playing directly into Iran's interests? Not sure exactly the point your trying to prove here, but it seems like the big political, religious, and military factions in Iraq are now united.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
https://en.mehrnews.com/news/154076...ry-action-is-a-military-action-Takht-Ravanchi

"TEHRAN, Jan. 04 (MNA) – Iran's Ambassador to the United Nations Majid Takht-Ravanchi said that the United States has ignited a military war that will be responded by Iran's military action."

Welp
He's likely talking figuratively not literally. Iran in no way wants war with the US nor in Iran itself. Iran talks brashly and in extremes similar to North Korea.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
yeah, just like the US wasn't going to "destroy" Iraq unless Iraq did something incredibly stupid like have weapons of... oh, wait...

i think you'll find that's actually the US
Your a fool if you think a Democratic Congress will declare war on baseless information. They country got pimped by bush since we were in our 9/11 feels

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
https://en.mehrnews.com/news/154076...ry-action-is-a-military-action-Takht-Ravanchi

"TEHRAN, Jan. 04 (MNA) – Iran's Ambassador to the United Nations Majid Takht-Ravanchi said that the United States has ignited a military war that will be responded by Iran's military action."

Welp
That's pretty much regular shit talk from the Iranian government. They would never respond directly with their military simply because to do so is suicide and would lead to Iranian leaders being either kicked out of power or pancaked. Above all else, the Iranian government is concerned with one thing and one thing only. Survival.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is not only the extra judicial killings, is the consequences they have on sovereign territories & its citizens, all for the US interests.

Also, any US president is responsible for killing hundreds of inocents all over the world...Should we celebrate their assasination ? Illegal or not ?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So let me get this straight, you said this:

Yet every shia political, military and clerical leader coming out against the US, in support of Suleimani, with hundreds of thousands protesting and mourning in Baghdad, Najaf, Karabala. So according to you, the Shia cities were protesting Iran's influence yet now, most if not all, influential Shia leaders and cities support booting the US from the country, playing directly into Iran's interests? Not sure exactly the point your trying to prove here, but it seems like the big political, religious, and military factions in Iraq are now united.
I don't really understand you, what I said still holds true regardless if there were pro Iran movements recently, do you think every single citizen in those cities have the same views? No, did I say so? No, those military factions you are talking about were always with Iran.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm tired of US imperialism and shit geopolitics. It's always about war, profits and endless suffering. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure my country (Canada) will send soldiers if a war breaks out becase we are allies. It hurts because this conflict is 100% political, i.e. Trump re-election in 2020. He's the worst US president in history bar none. He's also the symptom of a much larger problem: rampant racism and ignorance.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand you, what I said still holds true regardless if there were pro Iran movements recently, do you think every single citizen in those cities have the same views? No, did I say so? No, those military factions you are talking about were always with Iran.

You haven't provided any sort of reference to support any of your claims.

Simple research about your claims on Sadr show what you said was incorrect:

In a statement received by AFP on 15 February 2014, Sadr announced the closure of all offices, centers and associations affiliated with Al-Shaheed Al-Sadr, his father, inside and outside Iraq, and announced his non-intervention in all political affairs, adding that no bloc will represent the movement inside or outside the government or parliament.[17] Several times he has called for all paramilitary groups recognised by the Iraqi state to be dissolved after the complete defeat of ISIL and that all foreign forces (including Iran) then leave Iraqi territory. He surprised many when he visited the crown princes of both Saudi Arabia, for the first time in 11 years,[18] and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in 2017 and earlier and was criticized in some Iranian circles.[8] In April 2017, he distinguished himself from other Iraqi Shiite leaders in calling on Iranian-backed Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to step down and save the country from more bloodshed.[9] Al-Sadr's efforts to strengthen relations between Saudi Arabia and Iraq mirror those of former Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi.[18]

This goes against all of Iran's interests.

Here's his comments/actions after Suleimani's assassination:

Both Sadr and Amiri's camps have signaled their readiness to use violence if politics fail to expel U.S. troops.

Yea...I'd rather believe award winning reporters who are experts on Iran and Iraq than some random dude on the internet claiming otherwise.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm tired of US imperialism and shit geopolitics. It's always about war, profits and endless suffering. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure my country (Canada) will send soldiers if a war breaks out becase we are allies. It hurts because this conflict is 100% political, i.e. Trump re-election in 2020. He's the worst US president in history bar none. He's also the symptom of a much larger problem: rampant racism and ignorance.
Chretien didn't send troops when W. started the current war in Iraq. (Harper was eager to do so.)

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Al-Sadr has long been against Iran, even fighting their proxies.

Anyone that claims otherwise is a fraud

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019

Regards,
So then the general viewpoint of most Iraqis is that the US was unjustified? That's the viewpoint of a large group of Americans as well. I hope the talking heads on fox aren't seen as the End all be all to the American opinion on the subject.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think there's any appetite, publicly or politically, in Canada to join Trump's foolish war that he ignited by pulling out of the JCPOA.

Canada sending troops would be political suicide for the Liberals. Token words of support is the only help that the US is getting from Canada on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.