• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
americans don't actually give a fuck about foreign intervention, the war economy is designed to minimize the impact on privileged as little as possible, the poor that are sent off to war are either 100% bought into military culture or so alienated by the system that they don't vote.

foreign policy ranks near the bottom of things voters are concerned about come election time. and liberals are very jaded about any promises to pull out of ongoing campaigns post Obama.

it won't hurt Trump at all, or very little and if Iran respond with on-the-soil attacks in the US it will absolutely help him (I don't think Iran will do this)
While it's true that foreign action generally ranks close to the bottom of the electorates concerns (unfortunately) that doesn't mean it's not without consequence. The protracted state of affairs in the ME as a result of the Bush administration was absolutely behind some effective campaigning. While people may not go to the voting booth expressly to vote for a candidate who says they won't get involved you can bet it factors in to people's decision when voting against someone who's doing so. The problem with many voters being ill informed doesn't really extend to "we're running up a huge bill and putting servicemen at risk for a war that's not our problem". That sort of rhetoric can be effective and in this case it could be positive for those of us who would like to see trump out of office

All that aside, I was just trying to illustrate that despite what some people seem to think, a majority of Americans are not in favor of military action generally speaking. That point still stands

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Care to tell anyone here how you are right?

You never heard of this guy before and nobody believes you have done so.

Never have you backed any of your claims.

There is a high probability most people here have never heard of this guy before. I haven't. Suddenly he's the no.1 bad guy because CNBC says so. Not Trump. Or Putin. Or Kim. Or Xi. Or the Saudis. But the no 2 guy of Iran people never heard of is apparently worse than all those.

Bunch of bullshit and you know it.
You seem to be misinterpreting my post. He is the highest profile person of significance that isn't a head of state that is also about as bad of a person as it gets. And yes, I knew exactly who he is, as there has been tons of reporting about him over the years.

And to compare Trump's stupid ass to this guy shows that you likely have no clue who Soleimani is.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
So what happens if Iraq wants to throw US out?
One of the defining features of a nation state is the ability to reject an unwanted foreign presence. If Iraq wants the US out, either the US gets out or critically undermines any concept of Iraqi sovereignty (and encourages other nearby states to do whatever they like in Iraq in furtherance of their own interests).

stew

Dec 2, 2017
ENVct4QWoAAVH70

*barf*
Yeah... What's the ranking like? Who's the new number one now? What's going to happen to him? How does it work? Fuck off media for trying to legitimize it.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
far from me to support the theocratic authoritarian regime of Iran, but this assassination looks very wrong, and more and more I can see that their need for nuclear weapons is real and legitimate

we live in a world were the most powerful nation has a mentally unstable president which can order a drone to kill a government official from another country at an airport in another country and they are not even officially at war with Iran? and it's all good...

also I know people here are mostly negative towards this strike, but I was checking reddit where in general the comments are more anti Trump and I noticed a very high support for this assassination going by upvotes/downvotes,

escalating the conflict with Iran might be the boost Trump needed in difficult times...

since the US nowadays can fight wars with drones and at a distance, I think the anti war movement is going to struggle to gain traction compared to when more soldiers were dying!?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
This thread when americans sleeping vs this thread when americans are awake is wild

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Sure is going to be funny seeing Trump on the golf course every weekend while a fucking war is raging.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
far from me to support the theocratic authoritarian regime of Iran, but this assassination looks very wrong, and more and more I can see that their need for nuclear weapons is real and legitimate

we live in a world were the most powerful nation has a mentally unstable president which can order a drone to kill a government official from another country at an airport in another country and they are not even officially at war with Iran? and it's all good...

also I know people here are mostly negative towards this strike, but I was checking reddit where in general the comments are more anti Trump and I noticed a very high support for this assassination going by upvotes/downvotes,

escalating the conflict with Iran might be the boost Trump needed in difficult times...

since the US nowadays can fight wars with drones and at a distance, I think the anti war movement is going to struggle to gain traction compared to when more soldiers were dying!?
a tweet I came across said it best, does anyone think Kim Jong Un is regretting their decision toward nuclear proliferation instead of US diplomatic cooperation?

Doubtful.

And that signal will be interpreted similarly to any regime that feels they have an adversarial relationship with the US. America is not a trustworthy broker and your self determination is best served by producing the greatest deterrent you can. Republicans continue to be the largest threat to world safety there is. Whether it is climate policy or military.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Twitter has some real big 2003 energy going on right now. Feels like high school all over again with the way pols talk about a new conflict to come. It's good times guys, watched friends ship off to come back ruined then later have a few commit suicide so that'll be fun for the kids. What's old is new again.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Imagine being the President thats gets us kicked out of a nation we've spent almost 20 years dumping money and blood into for little reason because of an itchy trigger finger, putting a nice pointless cap on this entire shitshow

May 25, 2019
London
If you guys think the media is bad right now, wait until pro-war influencers start popping up on YouTube and Twitch. The streamer demographic is exactly who the US government wants enlisting

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When will American citizens finally take on the streets? What else needs to happen before you do something?

I hate to say it but the ordinary American people take some responsibility for the heinous actss of their government over the last decades. You keep watching and watching and complaining on twitter while your government commits one war crime after the other

The average American doesn't give a single shit about this killing. What you see on Twitter is a very specific and small part of the American electorate. Fact of the matter is as long as oil prices stay stable and the economy keeps chugging, Trump can do stuff like this with little push back.

It took years for a sizeable movement against the Iraq war to even develop, killing an Iranian general is not going to move the needle for most people.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's quite the extrapolation given I don't support this escalation at all.

okay so since we are measuring evil on a buzzfeed scale that is consumable by cretins, here's what I came up with myself as people that are more """"evil"""" than the guy that just got owned

- Upper half of the House of Saud but if I only get one then MBS
- George W. Bush
- Dick Cheney
- Henry Kissinger
- Gina Haspel (Director, CIA)
- Narendra Modi
- Benjamin Netanyahu
- Every CEO of Exxonmobil, BP, Total SA going back to the 1970s (cheating I know, sorry!)

noob-noob

Nov 1, 2017
Boston
User Banned (1 week): Hostility over a series of posts
Yes and he's responsible for literally even more. Iranian's I know and their parents literally happy this happened. This guy is also responsible for the wars in Iraq against the US, and a bunch of groups popping up.

Real fucking talk is a good thing this guy got droned.

How about you and everyone else who knows shit about what's going on outside of your ignorant US bubble stop fucking commenting.

Oh you talked to some Iranians and they were happy? Good for you, you talked to some stupid ass shah or mujahideen supporter who don't give a single fuck what happens to the people of Iran.

It's a good thing he got droned? He's the fucking head of the Iranian armed forces you absolute dunce, is it policy now to assassinate heads of state who we aren't allies with?

I barely got any sleep last night worrying about how I'm going to get my grandmother out of Iran and what would happen to my family who is currently going through their mandatory military service. But it's a good thing he was droned huh, how about you fuck right off from whatever hole you crawled out of you war mongering piece of work.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
First of all Qasem Soleimani was a constant threat to the U.S. and personnel abroad personally directing terrorist attacks against the U.S. and fueling instability inside Iraq. He once planned to assassinate the Saudi Arabian Ambassador to the U.S. inside the U.S. in D.C., I think even he realized that might be a step too far.

HOWEVER, as an official member of the Iranian State who was in charge of their intelligence/paramilitary wing, he was basically carrying out his job. While the Cold War and the War on Terror had muddled the waters between peace time and war time, Solemani was an Iranian State Official. By assassinating him so brazenly and immediately taking credit we're basically announcing that such officials do not carry any sort of immunity when traveling abroad. Such a high level assassination was typically done covertly with no credit taken and hopefully no overt ties linking the host country to the action. But, Trump straight up just bombed the dude and said it was us, deal with it.

Such a brazen move is absolutely mind boggling without any clear indication with regards to any shift in current U.S. Foreign Policy particularly in the Middle East and particularly towards Iran. The move could only inflame tensions in the area, increase hostility with Iran, and place further American lives at risk as the threat of retaliation looms. You'd think such consequences would mean that Trump and his team anticipated all of this and had some plan in place, some announcement regarding U.S. intentions towards Iran and the region, yet we've heard nothing. It's insane.

This also means that high level U.S. personnel traveling overseas can no longer assume any sort of comity when it comes to safety. Any high level diplomat or foreign official traveling overseas, particularly in the Middle East would be open to retaliation by Iran. So, what exactly was the net benefit than removing one head intelligence official who will only be replaced by another?

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When will American citizens finally take on the streets? What else needs to happen before you do something?

I hate to say it but the ordinary American people take some responsibility for the heinous actss of their government over the last decades. You keep watching and watching and complaining on twitter while your government commits one war crime after the other
This is a completely unfair statement to make.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The US can't really fight "wars" at a distance. It can quickly project considerable military force to any part of the planet, but while individual strikes would have major local consequences, they'd have little effect on Iran as a nation (other than terrorising its people). Any war with Iran with the aim of actually defeating Iran (not just blowing some stuff up and self-declaring victory) would need a large number of troops to be deployed (and would likely not be limited to Iran as US assets and personnel throughout the Middle East and elsewhere could be targeted by Iranian forces).

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
A good summary of events by an r/teenagers post.

US killed the second most important figure in Iran and killed the commander of a major paramilitary in Iran.

• As a response, Iran's head has vowed saying "the criminals who did this will face a severe response".
  • Pentagon just issued a warning saying they will proceed to take action to protect America.
  • American governing officials have been ecaved and moved to safe locations.
  • Turkey & other countries are mobilizing soldiers
  • the US is sending paratroopers and is increasing "safety measures" in the middle eastern bases.
  • The value of Gold, Silver and similar stuff is increasing in the stock market.
    • Similar to what happened before previous wars or conflict. Money is safe in commodities because the value won't significantly drop cause there's only a limited supply.
  • All major Russian, American and British news outlets announced that its highly if not certain that Iran will strike back using major force.
  • If Iran is attacked Russia will step in as they have a pact which will mean NATO will step up and mobilize its troop which could result in reserve troops being deployed, basically start a war.
  • Ex and current military members have gone on social media saying there's a huge huge huge chance of a World War 3
    All this is a possibility, not a certainty. Either way boys by the time we turn 25 there's going to be a war that's what history has taught us.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Same day that major new evidence comes out about Trump's impeachment he assassinates a foreign military leader. Wage the Dog taken to a new Trumpian level.

Status
Not open for further replies.