• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck soleimani, the world is a better place without that POS war criminal. This however shouldn't have been carried this way. Iran probably won't engage in a direct conflict with the US, instead they'll use their proxies everywhere in the region and the entire region will go to shit. Thanks Trump, I guess?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It started with me defending Warren and Biden from the inevitable Dems suck and guess what.

We managed to turn it into rhat. And also me apparently being for this because I dared argue killing a commander in a warzone wasn't a war crime.

I guess I'm cancelled!
There is no reason why it had to escalate past Warren and Biden. I don't understand how you were compelled to argue about war crimes based on that starting point. And most of the conversation hasn't been about Warren and Biden because that wasn't really the stuff you were saying that people took issue with, it was the war crime stuff that upset people.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Oh and let's not forget the 'Hezbollah sleeper cells lying in wait on US soil ready to be activated at a moments notice' because you know, life wasn't hard enough for brown folks and Muslims in 2019 so let's ramp it up and make everyone a potential threat.

You would need to have your head in the sand if you dont believe that Hezbollah has some sympathizers in North America at the very least. Reason number 2 million why this was such a dumb ass dumb fuck move with no thought put into it whatsoever.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no reason why it had to escalate past Warren and Biden. I don't understand how you were compelled to argue about war crimes based on that starting point. And most of the conversation hasn't been about Warren and Biden because that wasn't really the stuff you were saying that people took issue with, it was the war crime stuff that upsets people.
Because that comment was in reference to "the Dems justfifyng war crimes"

Which I said we should not get stuck on. Trump did the bad thing.

Instead let's wail on Biden and Warren for a single sentence.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
He isn't. What is wrong with you lot?

Simply posing the idea that this will come back and bite us in the ass big time is world ending for some it seems.

This will cost lives and it's arrogance to think it can't happen on our turf.

Everyone's got a problem when I bring innocent Americans into it. Nobodies got an issue with the innocent Iranian's and Iraqi's who have to deal with this bullshit for the years to come.🤔

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I dumped missiles onto that airport, so it's technically now a post hoc warzone! I'm clean!

tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Simply posing the idea that this will come back and bite us in the ass big time is world ending for some it seems.

Everyone's got a problem when I bring innocent Americans into it. Nobodies got an issue with the innocent Iranian's and Iraqi's who have to deal with this bullshit for the years to come.🤔
Brown people aren't human to these lot I swear. The concern for a perceived blowback is actually more scary than continued war with the ME.
The perspective here is fucked. And they have the gall to finger wag and concern troll about you 'rationalising' terrorist attacks.

I dumped missiles onto that airport, so it's technically now a post hoc warzone! I'm clean!

tenor.gif
lmfao, right?

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019

I'm not sure this is the response Donnie wanted. In fact, I'm certain he has no idea what the blowback could be or even has a plan in place. Funny that a moronically evil person killing a beloved monster just makes things worse for all the people in harm's way.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Those are not moral arguments! They're political and strategic and utilitarian ones. It is impossible to argue this was a guy who made the world a better place and who should be walking around a free man. Which is why you don't try.
Yeah, they are that too.

And nowhere did I say they should argue this is a guy that makes the world a better place. But prefacing your arguments by conceding the moral, political, and strategic justifications of the war mongers is not benefiting your oppositional argument. It simply aides the war mongers in pointing to you, and having the media as well, that their narrative justification is agreed upon while the only thing needing to be debated is your contention, which will be continually poisoned and massaged by the propaganda arms. As is already happening.

It's the same broken logic that has had Democrats unable to gain rhetorical traction on pretty much any of their domestic agenda for decades because they wrongfully keep thinking that conceding core framings and arguments to their opposition will give them cover when it really just muddies, unfocuses, and eventually is used to under cut their own arguments. Directly by their opposition and indirectly by the way the MSM defaults the Overton window in covering and framing the conversations.

Except in this case, the stakes are literally life and death.

Oct 26, 2017

I'm not sure this is the response Donnie wanted. In fact, I'm certain he has no idea what the blowback could be or even has a plan in place. Funny that a moronically evil person killing a beloved monster just makes things worse for all the people in harm's way.

Just a lot of really bad people leading to some very bad things for everyone. Very bad day and situation.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You would need to have your head in the sand if you dont believe that Hezbollah has some sympathizers in North America at the very least. Reason number 2 million why this was such a dumb ass dumb fuck move with no thought put into it whatsoever.
Do you know what the US did to Muslims after 9/11?
This is really really dangerous way of thinking and there is really no evidence that Muslims in the US pose any sort of serious danger to anyone.
And please, don't google "bad muslims danger America" and post links here, I'm sure you can find some shit, but the last thing this country needs is a preemptive Islamophobia wave.
Don't worry, if Iran manage to hurt the US back you''re gonna get it anyway.

Oct 26, 2017
It's important. These people are vying for Trumps job and they're currently projecting a tough on terror attitude and that's dangerous as hell.

What the fuck are you talking about. Biden and Warren harshly condemned it with a basic caveat of "this guy was bad."

If a Republican started with a caveat of "well, I love MLK, but *insert tons of racist shit*" would any Republican racist think the guy wasn't a racist?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's important. These people are vying for Trumps job and they're currently projecting a tough on terror attitude and that's dangerous as hell.
It isn't important. They're saying they wouldn't have done it, and the person being horrible doesn't justify that it was done. Open shut. Now let's get back to the actual issue here.

Oct 25, 2017
ME posters got banned in the embassy thread? For real?
What of the people who're rationalising/downplaying this shit happening real time?

Us Muslims and Middle Easterners are about to have a fantastic decade...

Yep, brown folks gotta remember their place and not get too loud or angry because what's a drone strike on a wedding or military contractors torturing and murdering random civilians here or there?

If they didn't want to have their entire country devastated for generations and have to spend their lives worrying about being murdered at any second they should have thought twice about being born in an area that pragmatic liberals could arbitrarily and retroactively declare to be a war zone.

Here I am wondering exactly what kind of "hoodlum shit" you think Islamist terrorists are going to "get up to".

Putting halal labels on bread packaging.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
If I was an usa citizen living in the middle east, I would leave inmediately. Iran cannot defeat the USA, but Israel and SA are their probable victims if they ever feel like doing something big.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): inflammatory false equivalence surrounding victims of police violence
It isn't important. They're saying they wouldn't have done it, and the person being horrible doesn't justify that it was done. Open shut. Now let's get back to the actual issue here.

I'll keep this in mind the next time we get mad at someone going "He's no angel" when a black dude gets murdered by the cops.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck are you talking about. Biden and Warren harshly condemned it with a basic caveat of "this guy was bad."

If a Republican started with a caveat of "well, I love MLK, but *insert tons of racist shit*" would any Republican racist think the guy wasn't a racist?

The problem with Warren and Biden's statements is that leading off with "He was a mass murderer" plays directly into the war machine propaganda. It's a red flag. We need to move away from the justification of these crimes, even if it's a partial justification. Rationalizing the motive for killing Soleimani is dangerous and I believe very telling of what that candidate's foreign policy is going to look like.

Projecting that you're a democrat who's still tough on terror gives me Obama Era flashbacks. I don't care if it was done for the sake of centrists or whatever, it's a bad look and I don't trust that these candidates won't become Obama foreign policy 2.0

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep this in mind the next time we get mad at someone going "He's no angel" when a black dude gets murdered by the cops.
We're not talking about a random person here. Like, if John Bolton had gotten hit by an iranian drone, would someone saying "he's a horrible person, but that doesn't justify what was done?" piss you off?

Oct 26, 2017

How is this at all comparable.

Qasem Soleimani killed thousands of people, which is not remotely similar to any victims of police shootings probably ever.

Secondly, "he's no angel" is used to defend the action of the police. Warren and Biden are adding very basic caveats before condemning Trump's action, exactly the opposite of how "he's no angel" is used.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Warren and Biden's statements is that leading off with "He was a mass murderer" plays directly into the war machine propaganda. It's a red flag. We need to move away from the justification of these crimes, even if it's a partial justification. Rationalizing the motive for killing Soleimani is dangerous and I believe very telling of what that candidate's foreign policy is going to look like.

Projecting that you're a democrat who's still tough on terror gives me Obama Era flashbacks. I don't care if it was done for the sake of centrists or whatever, it's a bad look and I don't trust that these candidates won't become Obama foreign policy 2.0
Soleimani killed thousands of innocents in the region. Calling him out as such while still calling Trump a buffoon for what he really is, is ok.
Fuck the US for doing this man. Just leave Iran alone.
Yes, and Iran should also leave the region alone instead of interfering in every country too. Both countries here are fault, Iran is even worse.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Here I am wondering exactly what kind of "hoodlum shit" you think Islamist terrorists are going to "get up to".
They're pretty clearly saying 'if you support these sorts of acts by the US in other countries, stop acting surprised when they start retaliating in kind.' Nowhere in their initial post did they say they support this.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

that is literally the playbook of almost every modern racist that is practicing or participating in politics.

Except what happens is it is sent as a dog whistle to the base while the msm launders it through their machine and then you get a David Brooks column talking about how maybe Dems should concede there is some truth to the fear about the replacement theory and maybe they should give a mile on the issue so as to get us back to a place of bipartisan compromise the supposed magical middle really want.

In this case, it gets laundered as a bipartisan consensus on the justification for striking him, but a disagreement on the tactics, buffered by the power of right wing news that will inject the question of whether this is TDS or evidence of the Democrats being soft. So the narrative becomes, Dems and Reps agree his death is good, disagree on tactics, but are these just evidence of TDS or dovishness? Horseshoe left gets on Twitter and thinks it's also just the Dems being salty, not that they really think we shouldn't be conducting illegal assassinations and enflaming the tinder of war.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I've been trying not to say shit in this thread because I'm not going to even pretend to know everything about political things going on and I'd rather not say something absolutely wrong that'll embarrass me or something, but absolutely fuck this analogy in particular. These situations are not comparable.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver

Why do you think the caveat was made in the first place? What is the relevance?

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soleimani killed thousands of innocents in the region. Calling him out as such while still calling Trump a buffoon for what he really is, is ok.
Why did they open up their statement with that? Why mention it at all? They could have entirely focused on why what Trump did was stupid or horrific or illegal or whatever. Why mention Soleimani's record at all?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is generating a lot of reports, it is being temporarily locked while we process them.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The actions taken by the Trump administrations in the last few hours are frightening and concerning for everyone, so it's understandable that tensions are running high. Please keep this all in mind when posting and responding to each other in this thread.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The thing that is concerning for Iraqis is that it was done in our country and this could turn it into a zone for USA and Iran to fight each other, with the weak and nonexistent government we have, things probably won't be bright.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell, a targeted assassination in a country that has suffered enough war already is beyond the pale, and stupid. Peace with Iran was in the US's grasp, but religious fanatics and greedy businessmen have once again ruined everything.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and Iran should also leave the region alone instead of interfering in every country too. Both countries here are fault, Iran is even worse.
Are they? We can't exactly demand Iran stop funding its proxies when we supply Saudi Arabia and allow them to arm and fund their proxies in the region. If we want Iran to be a rational actor we have to change the board and give them a rational way forward. Because, in my opinion, in the current climate they are a rational actor, sanctioned by the West, abandoned by Europe on the nuclear treaty after we ripped it up, stuck in a proxy war with Saudi Arabia who started spreading their influence first, if I was them I'd be racing for nukes right now. They're definitely playing a dangerous game but they've been given no way to not play the game.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
At one point, this is going to lead to full scale war if people don't put their bloody heads on.

Of course Trump and the right think that "killing bad people makes bad go away". But when the tension between Iran and the US goes unresolved and indeed gets escalated like this, only further trouble lies ahead.

I'm awaiting the Trump Twitter storm to cement this as a monumentally stupid thing to do in the current situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.