• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Iran can't and won't retaliate directly against the US anyway so no American should be worried in that regard, US allies tho, yeah they're gonna have some fun times.

Americans should be seriously worried right now. You clearly underestimate Iran if you think that they neither can nor will retaliate directly against US soldiers and citizens.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the kind of bullshit I hate. Because there probably won't be a way tomorrow. That would hurt Trump's approval. No, he's just permanently damaged US relations in the region forever and probably gotten more Americans killed in current and future war. But a percentage that I fear is over 50% won't care. They'll just see Trump sticking it to Iran and since there is no war tomorrow, everyone complaining is overreacting.
I kinda wonder what the Google Trends for "Does Iran have nukes" were, and how many people Googled that to decide if this is a big deal or not

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
You were present for it, but you weren't interacting with it. The media wasn't going to prepare you for actually interacting with grown adults who simply couldn't believe that the Bush admin was bullshitting. For how there was a massive, toxic wave of bullshit pressure pushing on politicians across the country to go along with the BS because of how much of the public was terrible and getting suckered. You needed to encounter that crap firsthand to understand the difference between then and now.

You mentioned "moral arguments" earlier. The thing is, the argument against doing this is not a moral one. It is a realpolitik/utilitarian one. Just like Iraq II. This is why everyone's conceding the moral argument (this guy was a monster) before launching into the arguments against doing this, because there isn't a "moral" argument for inaction available. If you attempt to argue morality, you will lose, because there's no possible way to argue that the world would be better off with this guy freely walking around if you could just teleport him to a jail cell on mars with the push of a button without any other consequences.

He is not older than me. I was in college as that disastrous march to war happened, watching it play out in slow motion with no ability to affect change in the slightest. Reliving that shit today is incredibly unpleasant.

Bush didn't start pushing to invade Iraq until after 9/11. His approval before it is irrelevant to the context here.
A moral argument does not need to rest on first capitulating to a war mongers narrative.

the counter moral argument is simple, it avoids catering to American Exceptionalism and Republican capitulation and simply makes the case that extrajudicial assassination was dangerously escalatory, breaks international law that threatens our own self interest and security, puts American lives at risk at home and abroad, including at the embassy in Iraq that is at the center of this tinder box, goes hand in hand with a policy abandoning our non-proliferation agreements that has pushed us closer to another unnecessary and avoidable war that will cost trillions in treasure and countless lives. Leave the "he deserved to die" appeals at the door and it already goes without saying that hewas a bad guy. And when bad faith pundits press you that is when you can get indignant and point out the obvious but pivot back to the central contention here.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, a region must be declared a warzone.

Iraq is a declared warzone. Syria too.

Iran is not. US is not.
You can't just go and say "I declare warzone" and start killing people, this is not how this works, this is not how any of this works.
You can declare war, but the US has not done that, not with Iraq and not with Iran.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You just go and say "I declare warzone" and start killing people, this is not how this works, this is not how any of this works.
You can declare war, but the US has not done that, not with Iraq and not with Iran.
No the countries don't declare it a warzone. Another body does.

Hence why Russia has actual soldiers in Syria but "patriots" in Ukraine.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
No, a region must be declared a warzone.

Iraq is a declared warzone. Syria too.

Iran is not. US is not.
It is always fascinating seeing the predictable way people start arguing softly something and by the sheer act of doing so will strengthen their resolve and dig in harder and harder.

You started by slightly defending the rhetorical prefacing, with sustained opposition you have slowly just started defending the entire operation.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A moral argument does not need to rest on first capitulating to a war mongers narrative.

the counter moral argument is simple, it avoids catering to American Exceptionalism and Republican capitulation and simply makes the case that extrajudicial assassination was dangerously escalatory, breaks international law that threatens our own self interest and security, puts American lives at risk at home and abroad, including at the embassy in Iraq that is at the center of this tinder box, goes hand in hand with a policy abandoning our non-proliferation agreements that has pushed us closer to another unnecessary and avoidable war that will cost trillions in treasure and countless lives. Leave the "he deserved to die" appeals at the door and it already goes without saying that hewas a bad guy. And when bad faith pundits press you that is when you can get indignant and point out the obvious but pivot back to the central contention here.
Those are not moral arguments! They're political and strategic and utilitarian ones. It is impossible to argue this was a guy who made the world a better place and who should be walking around a free man. Which is why you don't try.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is always fascinating seeing the predictable way people start arguing softly something and by the sheer act of doing so will strengthen their resolve and dig in harder and harder.

You startedby slightly defending the rhetorical prefacing, with sustained opposition you have slowly just started defending the entire operation.
I said this was the wrong action to take. I never said killing a commander of irregular forces was a war crime.

Oct 25, 2017
Its insane not only is that poster just doubling down on that take but also name calling others and defending war crimes to boot. Shit is wild in here.

Gotta love it, especially coming off the embassy thread where a handful of middle eastern and muslim posters got banned for expressing their anger about US foreign policy and the cowardly moderates here to excuse it.

24 hrs later and we got folks being cool with war crimes and shit in the name of pragmatism. Someone even mentioned we should wait for the polls aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

These people are fucking insane

EDIT: Oh and let's not forget the 'Hezbollah sleeper cells lying in wait on US soil ready to be activated at a moments notice' because you know, life wasn't hard enough for brown folks and Muslims in 2019 so let's ramp it up and make everyone a potential threat.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No the countries don't declare it a warzone. Another body does.

Hence why Russia has actual soldiers in Syria but "patriots" in Ukraine.
There is no international warzone designation body.
Seriously, that's not how any of that works. What the US did is an act of war, and undeclared one, which make it illegal by many definitions of the term, but this term is pretty meaningless because there is no real enforcement mechanism for it, and even if it was, no one can force the US to do shit it doesn't want. It least not by legal means.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love it, especially coming off the embassy thread where a handful of middle eastern and muslim posters got banned for expressing their anger about US foreign policy and the cowardly moderates here to excuse it.

24 hrs later and we got folks being cool with war crimes and shit in the name of pragmatism. Someone even mentioned we should wait for the polls aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Get out of here.

I never said I was cool with it and you people are just putting words in my mouth now.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting for a single notable politician to say that we're partially to blame for 9/11. By which I mean that we've been fucking up the middle east for so long, that it's no wonder people there grew to hold such a grudge against us and our culture, and a few of them decided to take out their anger on us.

But it's political suicide, so it will never happen.

Sanders said this in 2016 during the primaries. He then went on to explain the concept of blowback and was thoroughly booed.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
Has the Iraqi government commented on the attack yet?

I know they were deeply unhappy with the US over the last airstrikes and warned it would need to consider their relationship with the US.

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: Oh and let's not forget the 'Hezbollah sleeper cells lying in wait on US soil ready to be activated at a moments notice' because you know, life wasn't hard enough for brown folks and Muslims in 2019 so let's ramp it up and make everyone a potential threat.
ME posters got banned in the embassy thread? For real?
What of the people who're rationalising/downplaying this shit happening real time?

Us Muslims and Middle Easterners are about to have a fantastic decade...

Oct 25, 2017
Get out of here.

I never said I was cool with it and you people are just putting words in my mouth now.

I'm not cool with it and it's very bad but let me type out a whole bunch of posts explaining why it's not THAT bad and you know if an airbase is used for military purposes then what's the big deal I don't get it but y'know i'm not cool with it but i'm going to keep downplaying it because i am very smart and logical unlike the Chapos

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hunter, buddy, just give it up. You're so off of your original point that you're arguing semantics. If you want to make a case that we shouldn't shame Democrats for their statements on Soleimani then come at it from a different angle.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: inflammatory commentary in a sensitive thread
I think it's fair that when you make 50+ posts downplaying the severity of it, some people may think you're cool with it. Like you can see where people are coming from, yeah?
It started with me defending Warren and Biden from the inevitable Dems suck and guess what.

We managed to turn it into rhat. And also me apparently being for this because I dared argue killing a commander in a warzone wasn't a war crime.

I guess I'm cancelled!

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hunter, buddy, just give it up. You're so off of your original point that you're arguing semantics. If you want to make a case that we shouldn't shame Democrats for their statements on Soleimani then come at it from a different angle.
And yet that very thing is happening.

Oct 25, 2017
In a thread where a war is breaking out, some would prefer to cry about ''chapos'' or those ''lefty's going at it again''.
Have some perspective please.

Status
Not open for further replies.