• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
People on twitter talking about WWIII are quite disgusting.

One of the outcomes of this strike is pretty clear to me: Iraq will become the battlefield for the US-Iran conflict. Those people suffered long enough. Now they're probably going to suffer through another conflict.
I'm so angry and sad.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly kinda surprised Ortega hasn't tried cozying up to the US, given that he's pretty much a right-winger at this point. But I guess the US will never forgive the Sandinistas, regardless of the actual politics of their leader.
America is crazy like that, seriously, once you're on the shit list you're not getting out of it.
A lot of countries tried to play nice with America, even Iran, and you see how well that went.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
SA about to get us to mess up another one of their enemys I guess, as they sit back and get rich. Meanwhile USA magically is able to print up tons of money out of nowhere (non of the cons are going to question how we are going to pay for it) and thousands of americans will die, as well as probably at least a million civilians.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Yeah, this is one of those times where people have to be pragmatic about this. The first response should be about the human cost that this could leave not just on US troops, but more importantly Iranian citizens and citizens of the ME. Soleimani was an awful human being, but unfortunately for politicians who don't want to see us get into a senseless war, this isn't the time or place to bring that up since it only helps drum up war.

A large part of that likely had to do with it being the last US war fought by conscripts instead of purely recruits.

I'm honestly kinda surprised Ortega hasn't tried cozying up to the US, given that he's pretty much a right-winger at this point. But I guess the US will never forgive the Sandinistas, regardless of the actual politics of their leader.

Gotta remember the right-wing is falling into step with Trump, and if you let them go with the Democrats being weak on America's enemies, its a big potential wedge issue. Gotta defuse that, and acting like killing Soleimani wasn't right will not be good with the American people.

Like I stated before, Trump is likely to get a upswing in approval from the military, Soleimani led the Iranian operations against U.S forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, and America's boner for its military is as strong as ever, so this isn't just something seen as "starting " shit but its also finishing what Soleimani waged against American troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Jun 20, 2019
My friend, nothing the dems say is gonna deescalate killing their number 2 guy.

And if mean words hurt you maybe you shouldn't be a national leader.
De-escalate within the United States. WE are the notorious warmongers. All good people on this country have a responsibility to raise their voices against this as loudly as possible. Turning the guy almost literally no one in the United States has ever heard of before into a Call of Duty villain is NOT THE WAY TO DO THAT.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
You can think people are bad people and NOT want to assassinate them for completely rational reasons like escalating a situation to the point of war.
of course, it's just very odd to bring up the point that he was a heinous person when you're trying to argue he shouldn't have been killed. It doesn't really help your argument.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think the different way Americans talk about the generals and spooks of counties they don't like is a pretty big contributing factor why you get support for such wars.
David Petraeus have more innocent blood on his hands than this guy, but America never call him a "shadowy master assassin".

Military and covert affairs are shitty, dirty business, but it's the shitty function of the state. The US is trying to put a supervillian face on it so it can pretend it's not an act of war.

Biggavell

Banned
Dec 26, 2019
people criticizing Warren are being disingenuous. What would you have had her say? That this was a tragedy and the death of a principal actor within the ranks of an army we are presently in a stalemate with is worth mourning? She laid blame at the feet of the man she's running to unseat, the one who commands the army she would oversee if she wins the presidency. Her response was diplomatic and appropriate.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Not sure what to make of this but there was a NYT opinion piece regarding hypersonic missles published today (well Jan 2) with this quote:

What if the former commander of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, Qassem Soleimani, visits Baghdad for a meeting and you know the address? The temptations to use hypersonic missiles will be many.

Just a coincidence I suppose but startling to see just hours before it actually happens.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the different way Americans talk about the generals and spooks of counties they don't like is a pretty big contributing factor why you get support for such wars.
David Petraeus have more innocent blood on his hands than this guy, but America never call him a "shadowy master assassin".

Military and covert affairs are shitty, dirty business, but it's the shitty function of the state. The US is trying to put a supervillian face on it so it can pretend it's not an act of war.
I think it's important we understand there are bad people and that no going around killing them all is not what we do.

If Kim Jung Un died tomorrow I'm not gonna tone police the dems for spitting on his grave. But I will expect them to not justify going to war over it.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
De-escalate within the United States. WE are the notorious warmongers. All good people on this country have a responsibility to raise their voices against this as loudly as possible. Turning the guy almost literally no one in the United States has ever heard of before into a Call of Duty villain is NOT THE WAY TO DO THAT.

The Republicans are doing that already. If it were just Democrats doing it, sure shut them up, but Republicans have a vested interest in promoting Soleimani as such, and I hate to say it, Americans will listen to the military, and the military has been banging on about Soleimani forever, and will likely sway most Americans into believing hes basically a COD villain.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people criticizing Warren are being disingenuous. What would you have had her say? That this was a tragedy and the death of a principal actor within the ranks of an army we are presently in a stalemate with is worth mourning? She laid blame at the feet of the man she's running to unseat, the one who commands the army she would oversee if she wins the presidency. Her response was diplomatic and appropriate.

we are not at war with Iran

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to me how America can just get away with anything. Like shit it's 2020 and we still talking about extrajudicial assassination of another country's top military commander? Crazy shit.

And if you call it out, you're siding with the terrorists! Not saying anybody here did that - and if they did, they're a shitheel, just saying - but that's the conservative argument right now.

Let me take this time to illuminate the rest of us as to what the party that's always wrong on everything is saying about this.

Jun 20, 2019
people criticizing Warren are being disingenuous. What would have had her say? That this was a tragedy and the death a principal actor within the ranks of an army we are presently in a stalemate is worth mourning? She laid blame at the feet of the man she's running to unseat, the one who commands the army she would oversee if she wins the presidency. Her response was diplomatic and appropriate.
No it fucking wasn't. No one knows who this guy is. She has no obligation to say anything at all about who he was or what he did, just state that killing some nobody in Iraq is going to get people killed with no benefit at all to anyone. That's both the truth and not laced with American imperialist propaganda.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
And if you call it out, you're siding with the terrorists! Not saying anybody here did that - and if they did, they're a shitheel, just saying - but that's the conservative argument right now.

Let me take this time to illuminate the rest of us as to what the party that's always wrong on everything is saying about this.

it's always so funny to see the difference between right wing criticism of democrats and left wing criticism of democrats

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

they are running for presidency if one of them win, to be someone that didnt called the general a terrorist murderer will be better received by the iranian government for peace talk.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017

How Democrats posture now will determine how the public consciousness interprets this event.

40% ofRepublicans will be galvanized because they are braindead morons longing for the comfort of fascistic leadership, but the rest are going to be influenced on where the battle lines are drawn.

prefacing their remarks by leading with a capitulation to the Republican rationale is exactly what normalized and help lead to casual support for attacking and invading Iraq amongst the broader public. It is the trap Democrats have always fallen into on issues foreign and domestic. But on this, the stakes couldn't be higher.

Tone policing does matter; and if it isn't nipped now the narrative will be a bi-partisan consensus that this assassination was justified because he was a bad guy, but disputed only on the grounds of whether it was a tactical mistake. But Americans think with their emotions and the result will be majority support in favor and Fox News and the rest twisting the words of Democrats as in support of their moves but too dovish/petty to go through with it or credit Trump. The same exact nonsense Bush pulled. To which the only response moderates will presume to take is to gain their bonafides by out signaling one another about how bad this guy was and how tough they are in fact on terrorism/Iran.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's important we understand there are bad people and that no going around killing them all is not what we do.
100% agreed.
It's crazy how all got used to the idea that if there is someone that the president of the US think should be killed in a drone strikes, they can just do it.
It's crazy, not that the US didn't kill people before, but it was generally done in secret and not exactly on legal ground.
This is a law that congress passed without reading when they freaked out after 9/11.

Jun 20, 2019
I suspect you might find you are a teensy bit wrong on that point.
Almost literally no one in the US can name the current President of Iran off the top of their head, much less a random general. If I had started a thread an hour before the strike about this guy the general response from Americans on Era would be, "who?"

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Trump tweets that haven't aged poorly and let everyone know what his plans are by projecting it on someone else number 492732

18PL7L3.jpg

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We cannot pretend to want to be pragmatic about the Middle East, acknowledge that our forever war was actually maybe kind of bad, and then sit here and convince ourselves that the American public needs to be coddled with imperialist rhetoric to excuse an act that in the reverse situation we would be carpet bombing another state for.

that's that American exceptionalism that even when we're wrong, at least we had good intentions. Constantly holding the world to a standard we refuse to hold ourselves to.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
No it fucking wasn't. No one knows who this guy is. She has no obligation to say anything at all about who he was or what he did, just state that killing some nobody in Iraq is going to get people killed with no benefit at all to anyone. That's both the truth and not laced with American imperialist propaganda.
Please look at the post I made below. It is absolute untruth this guy was a nobody. He was one of the highest of the highest in Iran. Hes well known to the American military and foreign policy establishment. Saying hes a nobody would be the dumbest and most negative ending to Warren's campaign ever.

Huh, #2 in Iran foreign affairs, I may be underestimating who he is. Posting this to provide insight on Soleimani.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody should be sad about Solemani's death. He was a monster and the world is better without him in it.

People in the know are shit scared about where things go from here. Trump has not discussed any next steps other than tweeting an American flag. He has demonstrated no signs of competency in minor league foreign relations little alone being able to navigate his Bay of Fucking Pigs.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what to make of this but there was a NYT opinion piece regarding hypersonic missles published today (well Jan 2) with this quote:

Just a coincidence I suppose but startling to see just hours before it actually happens.
This was a conventional missile strike, not a hypersonic weapon. It would be a big deal if it were. Hypersonics have never been used outside a test setting, much less offensively.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Serious question.
I've heard before that the US is itching for war in the middle east, why?
What is it for the US? Just Oil?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I suspect you might find you are a teensy bit wrong on that point.
It's very clear they're talking about the general American public - the people she's supposed to be targeting with that tweet.

The difference in Sanders' message compared to Biden's or Warren's is very clear. His is the statement that doesn't make it sound like the guy had it coming and that the real problem is the way Trump went about it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How Democrats posture now will determine how the public consciousness interprets this event.

40% ofRepublicans will be galvanized because they are braindead morons longing for the comfort of fascistic leadership, but the rest are going to be influenced on where the battle lines are drawn.

prefacing their remarks by leading with a capitulation to the Republican rationale is exactly what normalized and help lead to casual support for attacking and invading Iraq amongst the broader public. It is the trap Democrats have always fallen into on issues foreign and domestic. But on this, the stakes couldn't be higher.

Tone policing does matter; and if it isn't nipped now the narrative will be a bi-partisan consensus that this assassination was justified because he was a bad guy, but disputed only on the grounds of whether it was a tactical mistake. But Americans think with their emotions and the result will be majority support in favor and Fox News and the rest twisting the words of Democrats as in support of their moves but too dovish to go through with it. The same exact nonsense Bush pulled.
Thank you.

Downplaying the rhetoric being used to white wash and put up a soft defense of our own actions is how our foreign policy has become so trigger happy while the public shrug their shoulders. This fucking matters, this is going to result in massive loss of life. Trying to suggest we shouldn't be curtailing this rhetoric now is horse shit.
We cannot pretend to want to be pragmatic about the Middle East, acknowledge that our forever war was actually maybe kind of bad, and then sit here and convince ourselves that the American public needs to be coddled with imperialist rhetoric to excuse an act that in the reverse situation we would be carpet bombing another state for.

that's that American exceptionalism that even when we're wrong, at least we had good intentions. Constantly holding the world to a standard we refuse to hold ourselves to.
^^^

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What a news to wake up to, the civilian protesters are celebrating this news, Qasem was one of the masterminds behind everything happening in Iraq.

Also for those that say what is he doing in Iraq, you need to understand he doesn't come here unless he is about to draw a plan for them, remember when Kurdish Peshmerga had Kirkuk and Iraqi government was demanding them to give it over? Qasim went to talk to Kurdish leaders and days later they retreated from Kirkuk.

This dude is credible and has a lot of sources.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019
Please look at the post I made below. It is absolute untruth this guy was a nobody. He was one of the highest of the highest in Iran. Hes well known to the American military and foreign policy establishment. Saying hes a nobody would be the dumbest and most negative ending to Warren's campaign ever.
I'm saying he was a nobody IN THE US. There is no reason for any US politician to treat him like a notorious criminal when, let's be quite honest here, most of the candidates probably never heard his name before tonight.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Almost literally no one in the US can name the current President of Iran off the top of their head, much less a random general. If I had started a thread an hour before the strike about this guy the general response from Americans on Era would be, "who?"

Fox News and the right-wing are educating the American people right now, and I absolutely believe that they will get their argument through more than you saying that Democrats try and pretend he ain't jack.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Saying someone is bad doesn't mean let's go invade their country.

You can do both.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Whenever America want to go to war it hypes itself by imagining some sort of new technology that is just around the corner and if we don't attack now we will forever miss our window of having an easy war.
You could see it in the lead-up to the Iraq war or whenever Russia is about to roll out a new air defense system.
Historically it was always bullshit and I suspect that the US is not about to lose is military dominance any time soon.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tone policing does matter; and if it isn't nipped now the narrative will be a bi-partisan consensus that this assassination was justified because he was a bad guy, but disputed only on the grounds of whether it was a tactical mistake. But Americans think with their emotions and the result will be majority support in favor and Fox News and the rest twisting the words of Democrats as in support of their moves but too dovish/petty to go through with it or credit Trump. The same exact nonsense Bush pulled. To which the only response moderates will presume to take is to gain their bonafides by out signaling one another about how bad this guy was and how tough they are in fact on terrorism/Iran.
See my other posts.

You can call someone a bad person and not want open warfare. You can walk and chew gum at the same time!

Status
Not open for further replies.