• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

Huh, #2 in Iran foreign affairs, I may be underestimating who he is. Posting this to provide insight on Soleimani.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"This is actually really bad because Trump did it without congressional approval BUT" is absolutely the wrongest foreign policy take and it's endemic of our political apparatus for decades.

no. The take is not "the US should have unilateral power to extrajudicially execute foreign state officials as long as congress approves and we put them on a terror list beforehand "

talk about missing the point
It's also factually wrong. Trump has congressional approval to do that under AUMF.
Pretty much all the Democrats believe that Obama should have had that power, their issue is not principled even on that dumb legalistic level, it's that Trump killed the wrong Bad Guy.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I think the American public (at this time) is not for another war. They are worn out on wars. Heck even my Dad said the Iraq war was a mistake and he is a Republican.

The only way that public opinion is swayed towards pro-war is an attack on American soil or overseas directly at American citizens by Iran.

I could be wrong, but that is just my gut reaction tonight.
There's that, but on the other hand, the anti-war activism really subsided after the Bush years. With things like drone strikes, wars have morphed into things that can easily be ignored. People just accept the "war on terror" as something that's always gonna be there in the background. I find it hard to be optimistic.

Without looking at Wikipedia or something, I'm pretty sure the US is currently engaged in conflicts that I'm not even aware of, and that's just how it goes now.

And even then, I don't really know what a new anti-war movement would even do. Do people even have it in them anymore?

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tulsi will approve of it and support troop mobilization. Civilians don't seem to understand that most of the services want to do this shit. It's only when it goes super bad they rebel. Vietnam was really the last and honestly only time that happened.

This. I read both books by Nate Fick and Evan Wright and the one universal was how much soldiers loved war but hated leadership.

giphy.gif

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assassination as an alpha move that will disrupt countries and kill masses. What a great move to get reelected.

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
Just as all GOP congress members signed a petition for the Supreme Court to reconsider Wade v Roe.
There's a couple of Dems in there as well lmao.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
The Republican party, playing the role of the Nazis but in the 21st century, supports a level of conservatism that the public actively rejects, and will suppress them to continue their aims.

Much like with Hitler, they're relying on the populist to keep it "normal," but as we've seen with Ukraine, there's no leash. Just like with Hitler, all you need is the right event to take place and the mask is completely off.

In this moment, they're worse than Iran and worse than the person we just bombed. They're declaring this as an act of "freedom" and getting the same know-it-all-know-nothings to repeat the same lines of American liberation that they did during Iraq. They've even pushed a fake ass story justifying the attack, that there was a "planned attack" and he had to be assassinated in advance of it going into action.

They're a fucking doomsday cult and just within the first week of this decade, their love for bombing middle eastern countries and denial of climate change have the world ablaze. Worse than ISIS, don't @ me.

hard agree with all this!

Oct 26, 2017
Drone warfare also removes any reported agency from US troops and there aren't US troop casualties to constantly fixate on and tally. People still have Obama blinders on and they've just transferred them to Biden.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I really don't think America has an appetite for a war with Iran and I can't imagine the Republican party honestly believes otherwise. The Trump-GOP relationship has always seemed like a tiger by the tail - dangerous to hold onto, but more dangerous to let go, so I guess they've gotta hold on for as long as they can. But ultimately they're more interested in exploiting their control over all three branches while they can, and weathering the Trumpism storm.

But if this isn't just saber rattling - if it's an honest attempt to provoke escalation - I'm thinking there's no one at the wheel anymore. I think Trump might have managed to excise and marginalize anyone capable of steering him away from obvious bad decisions.

Saber rattling?

We just assassinated Iran's top military leader.

Mar 27, 2019
You can say this was a rash and ill advised and even wreckless move but the more I think about it it is definitely calculated. One it lets high ranking Iranian officials know that the us has eyes on them and will not hesitate to pull the trigger, albeit when they are on foreign soil to skirt an all out attack on their homeland, two it lets Iran know even minor attacks on embassies will be met with deadly force, and three this has the added effect of offing an unpopular military figure who was I believe responsible for thousands of protestor deaths. In short: bold strategy cotton lets see how it works out for them.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
"This is actually really bad because Trump did it without congressional approval BUT" is absolutely the wrongest foreign policy take and it's endemic of our political apparatus for decades.

no. The take is not "the US should have unilateral power to extrajudicially execute foreign state officials as long as congress approves and we put them on a terror list beforehand "

talk about missing the point

Well the whole point is that the Executive should not be able to start a war that the public (as represented in Congress) does not want. Ideally there should be a very high bar for congressional approval of a war, we should default to "no".

The Iraq war showed us the bar wasn't that high. 9/11 also just finished breaking this country's ability to think rationally about these conflicts.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy to me how America can just get away with anything. Like shit it's 2020 and we still talking about extrajudicial assassination of another country's top military commander? Crazy shit.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's even more puzzling to me is how normal and accepted it is by Americans honestly.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
There's that, but on the other hand, the anti-war activism really subsided after the Bush years. With things like drone strikes, wars have morphed into things that can easily be ignored. People just accept the "war on terror" as something that's always gonna be there in the background. I find it hard to be optimistic.

Without looking at Wikipedia or something, I'm pretty sure the US is currently engaged in conflicts that I'm not even aware of, and that's just how it goes now.

And even then, I don't really know what a new anti-war movement would even do. Do people even have it in them anymore?
It's hard to get people to care, because with drone strikes, you can't have anti-war rallying cries like "bring our troops home!". It's a LOT more abstract when you don't personally have family members and friends who have been deployed to wars overseas. At that point, your anti-war movement is reduced to people who oppose war on principle and not because of the personal investment.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just read the DoD statement.

I didn't think they'd straight up cop to an assassination like that.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to me how America can just get away with anything. Like shit it's 2020 and we still talking about extrajudicial assassination of another country's top military commander? Crazy shit.

when you bully half the world into letting you set up military bases in their countries under the guise of protection treaties, they let you get away with anything

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Biden and Warren both basically say this guy was scum but we should have just let him get away with it. Odd take.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

Gotta disagree with you Chikor on Soleimani, he sounds like one of the most powerful people in Iran and the Middle East, his death will be felt hard and not easily replaced.

Lord I can't believe Trump ordered him killed. One thing is for certain the lagging military approval rating for Trump is gonna jump up alot, Soleimani was in charge of opposing the U.S invasion forces in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017

America is blessed with some of the best geography in the world and can get away with a lot of things. Being surrounded by 2 oceans is very useful for that.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can say this was a rash and ill advised and even wreckless move but the more I think about it it is definitely calculated. One it lets high ranking Iranian officials know that the us has eyes on them and will not hesitate to pull the trigger, albeit when they are on foreign soil to skirt an all out attack on their homeland, two it lets Iran know even minor attacks on embassies will be met with deadly force, and three this has the added effect of offing an unpopular military figure who was I believe responsible for thousands of protestor deaths. In short: bold strategy cotton lets see how it works out for them.
You can't bomb countries into not hating you, you can scare them if you're strong and ruthless enough, but if you do it long enough eventually they will find a way to hurt you back.
This line of thinking can only lead to more deaths. Must we really re-learn the ugliest lessons of Colonialism again?

For real, have you ever thought about why there seem to be quite a lot of people in that part of the world that really really hate America?
It's not because they hate freedom, it's because America does shit like this all the fucking time.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Biden and Warren both basically say this guy was scum but we should have just let him get away with it. Odd take.
You can think people are bad people and NOT want to assassinate them for completely rational reasons like escalating a situation to the point of war.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
They're clearly not. Bernie doesn't both sides the assassination.

They're not both sidesing it. They're countering the conservative talking point that dems are handwringing the death of a terrible person just because it was Trump that ordered it by acknowledging that he was a terrible person.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same justifications were used to remove Saddam. And we just made problems worse.
No I mean someone can be a horrible human being and you can not want to outright kill them.

There is nothing wrong with Biden and Warren saying he's a bad person. They condemned the assassination and escalation.
You can think people are bad people and NOT want to assassinate them for completely rational reasons like escalating a situation to the point of war.
This.

Mar 27, 2019
You can't bomb countries into not hating you, you can scare them if you're strong and ruthless enough, but if you do it long enough eventually they will find a way to hurt you back.
This line of thinking can only lead to more deaths. Must we really re-learn the ugliest lessons of Colonialism again?

For real, have you ever thought about why there seem to be quite a lot of people in that part of the world that really really hate America?
It's not because they hate freedom, it's because America does shit like this all the fucking time.

I'm not disagreeing. We certainly live in interesting times.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Will the press be suspicious of the motive the White House concocts for this assassination?

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I remember back in 2002 when West Wing did a story arc on this where they did it and it gave the President a slow nervous breakdown. We get tweets of American flags and rah rah bullshit.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

Not sure about that, Quds Force isn't responsible for domestic policing or security, Soleimani was in charge of Quds, but it is part of the IRGC which did the crackdown but I think the Iranian people know the difference so I'm not sure if that will go over how you think so.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Will the press be suspicious of the motive the White House concocts for this assassination?
I will say that the non-Fox press already seems highly suspicious so far. I'm really hoping, though not necessarily hopeful, they've learned their lessons.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
average person isn't going to feel sympathy for someone she's calling a murderer and responsible for the deaths of thousands including hundreds of Americans, can't play both sides
Yeah, this is one of those times where people have to be pragmatic about this. The first response should be about the human cost that this could leave not just on US troops, but more importantly Iranian citizens and citizens of the ME. Soleimani was an awful human being, but unfortunately for politicians who don't want to see us get into a senseless war, this isn't the time or place to bring that up since it only helps drum up war.
Tulsi will approve of it and support troop mobilization. Civilians don't seem to understand that most of the services want to do this shit. It's only when it goes super bad they rebel. Vietnam was really the last and honestly only time that happened.
A large part of that likely had to do with it being the last US war fought by conscripts instead of purely recruits.
Nicaragua is the plan B of Venezuela.
Just because the Middle East boys are having fun wars it doesn't mean that the Latin America division is gonna just twiddle their thumbs.
America can multitask!
I'm honestly kinda surprised Ortega hasn't tried cozying up to the US, given that he's pretty much a right-winger at this point. But I guess the US will never forgive the Sandinistas, regardless of the actual politics of their leader.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I mean someone can be a horrible human being and you can not want to outright kill them.

There is nothing wrong with Biden and Warren saying he's a bad person. They condemned the assassination and escalation.

This.

you don't de escalate the situation with another nation by calling their guy you just killed a piece a shit

remember y'all: Iranians have twitter too! They can read just like us.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They're not both sidesing it. They're countering the conservative talking point that dems are handwringing the death of a terrible person just because it was Trump that ordered it by acknowledging that he was a terrible person.
Yes they are.

This is the same cowardly nonsense Dems pulled leading to the Iraq war.

Where you preface everything you say by leading with the Republican taking points. So you legitimize their viewpoints and rationales while leaving the only dispute in the public consciousness your argument.

Bernie has the only correct message here.

But the even better message would be that we as America have no right to break international law and assassinate foreign heads of state. That in this case, doing so is simply escalating the probability of war and doing so without the consent of the American people.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
It really doesn't.

And trying to attack "dems" for this is opportunistic BS especially when 90% of the party doesn't want this. Not calling you out dirrectly but I can already see these type of posts coming.
I feel like you have to make it difficult to take the position you are stating, because of how easy it is for the side in favor of war to force Democrats to rally around the flag in the name of patriotism.

Status
Not open for further replies.