• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
So, Trump is going to say something stupid to make it worse before noon, or after noon? Any bets?

Idiot's gonna do The Worst Thing Possible as he always does, escalate conflict, and start a war. This will raise oil prices, tanking the """good""" economy. How does he survive besides relying yet again on the post-truthers at Fox News saying he's done the right things and the radical left and the mainstream media are siding with terrorists?

Y'all, the 2020s looks like a decade fucking conservatives rape the planet to permanent harm the world over. We're not even a week in.
His flag tweet is honestly the worst thing he could've posted.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Make no mistake this has 0% to do with us, it has everything to do with Jabba the hut. We really need to be careful. I think we are on the precipice of a dictatorship (not joking, and im sick of people telling me to not over exaggerate)

The American military industrial complex (the arms manufacturers and many politicians) salivate at the idea of a war with Iran. Plenty of them would gladly go along with Trump.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Plausible deniability is probably rule number one in any situation with sleeper cells disrupting shit.

No way this will be your hollywood "Oh no a bomb went off in Times Square, and Iran is taking responsability!" bullshit lol

Whats the point of blowing up a reactor if you don't get the street cred

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As always everyone is implicated like Iraq War, fuck any other narrative that puts this on just the Cheetoh
Exactly. Focusing only on Trump belies that this type of behavior is endemic to the way our country has conducted foreign policy on both sides for years now (granted dems aren't this brazenly stupid about it). But at the end of the day we need to take it upon ourselves to recognize this as a wider issue that needs to fucking stop.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Which dem primary candidate is most likely to support this fuckup?

edit: pleasantly surprised that the frontrunners agree this is bad

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We can win a war with Iran we have bombs. It'll be just like Iraq. That ended quick right?
An Iran war will NOT be like Iraq. First, Iran has ~80 million people, most of whom are loyal to the regime and now with this assassination, it will likely unite the country.

Second, Iran has mastered the ground game in the ME. This will be seen as a religious and nationalistic war for millions of people. Iran is capable of power projection both conventional and especially asymmetric.

Simply put, an Iran war will bring the ME to its knees, in ways we probably dont even know about yet.

Assassinating Suleimani and then bragging about it is probably one of the best ways to provoke the war.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, Trump is going to say something stupid to make it worse before noon, or after noon? Any bets?

Idiot's gonna do The Worst Thing Possible as he always does, escalate conflict, and start a war. This will raise oil prices, tanking the """good""" economy. How does he survive besides relying yet again on the post-truthers at Fox News saying he's done the right things and the radical left and the mainstream media are siding with terrorists?

Y'all, the 2020s looks like a decade fucking conservatives rape the planet to permanent harm the world over. We're not even a week in.

I think we are honestly past the point of the gulf having any real control of US oil prices. I agree with your post otherwise just not the oil prices bit.

koiwai

Jan 10, 2018
the thing i don't understand is why the US is gunning so hard for a war with iran that they already know that they'll lose? obviously it's the profit motive but how profitable is it to get the shite kicked out of you? (that is assuming that this war will actually end instead of just gradually fading out of our collective attention)

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this shit works as a play in Trumps favor for the election this country is lost cause more than I thought.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Democrats (or at least certain Democrat politicians) seem to be going the "it's unacceptable that Trump did this without Congressional approval" route, which is good news. The worst thing that can happen is if Democrats start to go along with the administration, as they did with the Iraq war. It's all going to hinge on how the public reacts. The general public was very gung-ho about war after 9/11, which made it politically untenable for Democrats to come out strongly against the war.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think America has an appetite for a war with Iran and I can't imagine the Republican party honestly believes otherwise. The Trump-GOP relationship has always seemed like a tiger by the tail - dangerous to hold onto, but more dangerous to let go, so I guess they've gotta hold on for as long as they can. But ultimately they're more interested in exploiting their control over all three branches while they can, and weathering the Trumpism storm.

But if this isn't just saber rattling - if it's an honest attempt to provoke escalation - I'm thinking there's no one at the wheel anymore. I think Trump might have managed to excise and marginalize anyone capable of steering him away from obvious bad decisions.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I think we are honestly past the point of the gulf having any real control of US oil prices. I agree with your post otherwise just not the oil prices bit.

Sadly....if oil prices go up, yeah the U.S consumer will hurt but since the U.S started the shale oil and gas fields....rising oil prices benefit Saudi Arabia, the U.S, and other oil producing countries except Iran since probably they will be unable to sell oil in any conflict potential increasing.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tulsi? She opposed the Iran Deal IIRC.

Maybe Pete if he thinks it'll help him in the moderate lane?
Tulsi really hates Muslims, but the one thing she's pretty consistent about hating more than Muslims is when American soldiers get killed. So it'll probably be something like "this is good, but if people die it will be bad".

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
average person isn't going to feel sympathy for someone she's calling a murderer and responsible for the deaths of thousands including hundreds of Americans, can't play both sides
On of the greatest tricks the pro-war people managed to pull is to bully everyone who want to be against war to first repeat the pro-war talking point.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
the thing i don't understand is why the US is gunning so hard for a war with iran that they already know that they'll lose? obviously it's the profit motive but how profitable is it to get the shite kicked out of you? (that is assuming that this war will actually end instead of just gradually fading out of our collective attention)

It's part profit, part a show of power, part fueling the jingoism fire to consolidate power stateside. (it's also extremely profitable if you're funneling tax money into your private contractor businesses)

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Which dem primary candidate is most likely to support this fuckup?

edit: pleasantly surprised that the frontrunners agree this is bad
I mean, one thing Biden has been consistent on for decades is repeatedly saying that war with Iran is fucking stupid, at least. Not to mention he opposed the Afghan surge from what the declassified docs say.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Democrats (or at least certain Democrat politicians) seem to be going the "it's unacceptable that Trump did this without Congressional approval" route, which is good news. The worst thing that can happen is if Democrats start to go along with the administration, as they did with the Iraq war. It's all going to hinge on how the public reacts. The general public was very gung-ho about war after 9/11, which made it politically untenable for Democrats to come out strongly against the war.

I think the American public (at this time) is not for another war. They are worn out on wars. Heck even my Dad said the Iraq war was a mistake and he is a Republican.

The only way that public opinion is swayed towards pro-war is an attack on American soil or overseas directly at American citizens by Iran.

I could be wrong, but that is just my gut reaction tonight.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"This is actually really bad because Trump did it without congressional approval BUT" is absolutely the wrongest foreign policy take and it's endemic of our political apparatus for decades.

no. The take is not "the US should have unilateral power to extrajudicially execute foreign state officials as long as congress approves and we put them on a terror list beforehand "

talk about missing the point

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think America has an appetite for a war with Iran and I can't imagine the Republican party honestly believes otherwise. The Trump-GOP relationship has always seemed like a tiger by the tail - dangerous to hold onto, but more dangerous to let go, so I guess they've gotta hold on for as long as they can. But ultimately they're more interested in exploiting their control over all three branches while they can, and weathering the Trumpism storm.

But if this isn't just saber rattling - if it's an honest attempt to provoke escalation - I'm thinking there's no one at the wheel anymore. I think Trump might have managed to excise and marginalize anyone capable of steering him away from obvious bad decisions.

The Republican party, playing the role of the Nazis but in the 21st century, supports a level of conservatism that the public actively rejects, and will suppress them to continue their aims.

Much like with Hitler, they're relying on the populist to keep it "normal," but as we've seen with Ukraine, there's no leash. Just like with Hitler, all you need is the right event to take place and the mask is completely off.

In this moment, they're worse than Iran and worse than the person we just bombed. They're declaring this as an act of "freedom" and getting the same know-it-all-know-nothings to repeat the same lines of American liberation that they did during Iraq. They've even pushed a fake ass story justifying the attack, that there was a "planned attack" and he had to be assassinated in advance of it going into action.

They're a fucking doomsday cult and just within the first week of this decade, their love for bombing middle eastern countries and denial of climate change have the world ablaze. Worse than ISIS, don't @ me.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tulsi really hates Muslims, but the one thing she's pretty consistent about hating more than Muslims is when American soldiers get killed. So it'll probably be something like "this is good, but if people die it will be bad".

Tulsi will approve of it and support troop mobilization. Civilians don't seem to understand that most of the services want to do this shit. It's only when it goes super bad they rebel. Vietnam was really the last and honestly only time that happened.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
You dont have to preface the US literlaly tearing up the iran deal and blowing up iran's people with "well those people are clearly horrible"

Say, "this is fucking bad. full stop"

Oct 26, 2017
"This is actually really bad because Trump did it without congressional approval BUT" is absolutely the wrongest foreign policy take and it's endemic of our political apparatus for decades.

no. The take is not "the US should have unilateral power to extrajudicially execute foreign state officials as long as congress approves and we put them on a terror list beforehand "

talk about missing the point

Exactly this.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, as soon as they see our army at their borders, they'll throw down their weapons and cheer

we will be greeted as liberators

I deleted that because I'm not actually sure, but heavy hot war it would be pretty quick. And you ignored the rest of my admittedly edited post but it ain't the first month that matters, it's the aftermath and how it's handled. Beyond that I hope to god none of this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.