• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

It's a good feeling that things are trending in the right direction, but doesn't mean we should let our guard down at all.

More here: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/ways-covid-endemic-analysis/story?id=83257551&cid=social_twitter_abcn

Recently, an update to the national COVID-19 strategy was released, designed to manage the virus so most Americans can return to daily life without disruption. The country is moving to a new phase in which the COVID-19 threat changes from "pandemic" to "endemic." That means the virus will likely continue to circulate within the population, but at low rates or seasonally. The updated strategy should fill us with optimism. But we should couple that with a healthy dose of caution.

"As we move toward a COVID-controlled life, it'll be ever-important to assess for real-time changes in the virus and its community impact because we know just how unpredictable this virus can be,
" said Dr. Atul Nakhasi, an internist at the Martin Luther King Jr. Outpatient Center in Los Angeles.

Case Numbers

In Los Angeles County, where Nakhasi practices, public health officials have developed an alert system designed to signal the risk level of the virus. If the number of new cases stays below 200 per 100,000 people, then the risk level remains low.

Though vaccination plays a key role in keeping case numbers low, it's not the only way to get there. Most people who become infected with COVID-19 develop some level of immunity to the virus. Widespread infections combined with vaccinations have led one group of scientists to determine that 73% of Americans are, at least for now, immune to omicron, the dominant variant. They say that percentage could increase to 80% by mid-March.

Hospitalizations

If we see hospitalizations continue to decrease and remain stable, that will suggest endemicity. The CDC has pivoted away from case numbers to focus on hospitalizations. That's because, even if the overall reported number of cases stay low, an increase in hospitalizations could indicate that the virus has mutated and the risk of infection may be increasing rapidly.

"A new phase of the pandemic requires a recalibration of metrics that directly highlight true population impact," said ABC News contributor and Chief Innovation Officer at Boston Childrens Hospital John Brownstein, P.h.D.

"While cases have uncoupled from severe illness, hospitalization numbers will continue to be a robust indicator that public health can rely on," he added. "Though not the most timely (measure), hospital capacity will continue to reflect risk levels in communities and help guide decisions on mitigation efforts."

Wastewater Samples

Yeah, it's gross, but the wastewater that flows through our sewer systems can tell us a lot about diseases that might be circulating in the community. In fact, data from the CDC's National Wastewater Surveillance System showed that 70% of wastewater facilities found that virus levels had decreased compared to two weeks ago -- another sign COVID-19 cases are on the decline.

Wastewater samples are especially important because people shed the virus when they are in the early stages of infection. That means we can identify rising infection rates even before people begin to show symptoms. Dr. Ted Smith, an associate professor of environmental medicine at the University of Louisville School of Medicine, said that "wastewater concentrations are dropping in North America." Though he cautions that infection rates typically drop in the spring and summer, "the genomics is supportive of a tamped situation."

Should still practice caution:

As we move into the endemic phase of the virus, many people will be tempted to think COVID is a thing of the past. If only it were so. For one thing, every community is different. Vermont's vaccination rate is around 80%, while Alabama's is closer to 50%. Residents of these two states are facing two very different scenarios in the months ahead.

Likewise, even in cities like Los Angeles, Nakhasi warned that "it's really important for us to recognize the disproportionate impact this virus has had on our under-resourced and vulnerable communities and prioritize their health, well-being, and life as we prepare for the next surge." Also, just because fewer of us are getting sick, doesn't mean we shouldn't take smart precautions like washing our hands and continuing to get booster shots when recommended.

"We are in an endemic phase when cases, hospitalizations, and deaths have reached a steady state,"
said Dr. Megan Ranney, a practicing physician and dean at Brown University's School of Public Health. "Remember, though, that 'endemic' is not the same as 'not dangerous.'"

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
As we move into the endemic phase of the virus, many people will be tempted to think COVID is a thing of the past. If only it were so. For one thing, every community is different. Vermont's vaccination rate is around 80%, while Alabama's is closer to 50%. Residents of these two states are facing two very different scenarios in the months ahead.
I've said this before but it really is crazy to me how vaccinations have effectively balkanized the US. I am not gonna pretend to be a virologist so hopefully this is true, but new variants popping up is always gonna be a fear, I think.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sad that my family caught it right at the tail end of the pandemic. I've felt sluggish and brain-addled for almost two weeks and I don't even know if I have it or not.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Ya, we're down to about 30000 people hospitalized for COVID in the country and the drop has not slowed, still dropping about 30% a week. It's a very good sign and the lowest we've been since July of last year. Even better because we know that a lot more people than last year are now hospitalized "with" COVID instead of "from" COVID. Which while not insignificant (those there "with" COVID still have to be isolated and kept away from other patients, and are a risk to spread it to others such as their medical teams), is still the better of the two.

Deaths are also finally starting to drop in a big way. The high day last week (which has a lot to do with reporting patterns, not necessarily that this one day saw a random amount, every week has a high day on Wednesday) was only 1955. The week before it was over 2700. The week before was over 3100. They're coming down fast. You have to go back to early December to find a time it was lower and the rate of decrease seems to be increasing, we'll likely see that continue to drop significantly.

Dropping mask mandates likely won't make a huge difference either, considering huge portions of the country haven't had them in forever anyway. Not to say it won't have some impact, but probably not huge.

We're in a relatively good place. Hopefully that continues.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bet this comes as a big relief for the people who did absolutely nothing.

Isn't that like, a staggeringly high percentage of Americans?

Living in Canada has felt like living in a different world rather than a different country these past 2 years. My province is JUST easing restrictions now 2 years later. Seems like most US states were "over" COVID after like 6 months, and then you've got the Florida's of the world that never gave a shit for even 6 days.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017

Living in Canada has felt like living in a different world rather than a different country these past 2 years. My province is JUST easing restrictions now 2 years later. Seems like most US states were "over" COVID after like 6 months, and then you've got the Florida's of the world that never gave a shit for even 6 days.

Will probably see a thread about Florida in the Summer while media will continue to pretend it went away

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This whole situation has been a fucking embarrassment from Day One. Good luck, everyone.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

It varies a LOT based on where you are. My state has really good numbers and had a ton of mask mandates. We had a lot of people try to come in to where I work without masks and sure enough, a huge chunk of them were from a specific adjoining state.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It varies a LOT based on where you are. My state has really good numbers and had a ton of mask mandates. We had a lot of people try to come in to where I work without masks and sure enough, a huge chunk of them were from a specific adjoining state.

Fair enough. And in all honesty I just have lots of bitterness about the selfishness of people everywhere. Even in Canada with all our mandates I saw lots of people on social media in our community who never changed a single goddamn thing in their lives. And then of course they are the same vocal minority of assholes who complained the whole time about the restrictions and their "freedoms". Hard not to be bitter when you follow all regulations/mandates and basically live like hermits for 2 years while your neighbors can't go a weekend without going to a party or going on a trip.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for this to be over with in Ontario. I'm personally fine keeping restrictions and following them, but I'm just tired of being abused by customers for enforcing government health mandates.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
our community covid level finally went from HIGH to MEDIUM

keeping my mask on until we hit LOW

and probably beyond that

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Still keeping up mask wearing practices and social distancing when I can, and will likely do so for the rest of this year.

Oct 27, 2017
Like I get the idea of it becoming endemic but I think it's a bad idea to try to shift public perception to that. We have no guarantee a variant won't come out in 4 months during peak summer like delta that infects at an even higher rate. You have like no protection after 4 months with pfizer booster right?

So unless we start being allowed to have boosters every 4 months, we're just going to see that 73-80% immunity drop over time right?

We're on like the 4th or 5th time we're pretending as a country that the worst of Covid is behind us and it's shown us each time that's foolish.

I understand why it might have low numbers except during certain times of the year but i have no confidence we will see less than 400-600k deaths per year in the US this year or 2023. Why would I when immunity clearly wanes fairly quick, in months?

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Like I get the idea of it becoming endemic but I think it's a bad idea to try to shift public perception to that. We have no guarantee a variant won't come out in 4 months during peak summer like delta that infects at an even higher rate. You have like no protection after 4 months with pfizer booster right?

So unless we start being allowed to have boosters every 4 months, we're just going to see that 73-80% immunity drop over time right?

We're on like the 4th or 5th time we're pretending as a country that the worst of Covid is behind us and it's shown us each time that's foolish.

I understand why it might have low numbers except during certain times of the year but i have no confidence we will see less than 400-600k deaths per year in the US this year or 2023. Why would I when immunity clearly wanes fairly quick, in months?

Immunity from infection wanes, but protection against significant disease/death stays very high well beyond that time. It also doesn't drop to zero against infection, even beyond those 4 months there's still some protection.

It also gets harder and harder for new variants to take hold with how infectious the current one is. Not impossible something else comes along, but unless it has significant escape from vaccine/past infection or is even more infectious its not going to make a major difference.

May 14, 2021
Seeing my daughter back in school and then being able to hang out with her friends again has been a blessing. I'll still mask up in stores fora few months but the days of masking outdoors for me are over.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

No protection? That's not even remotely true. Just because immunity goes down doesn't mean it's 0 or even close to 0.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanna throw a big ass barbeque the next nice day.

Congrats to all that have endured. Shit's been tuff.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
The whole long-covid thing combined with "endemic" and "yearly" is not comforting to me at all. I know too many fully vaxxed people who are suffering from long covid to be breaking out the champagne. Who at this point is actually worried solely about hospitalization/death?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
The whole long-covid thing combined with "endemic" and "yearly" is not comforting to me at all. I know too many fully vaxxed people who are suffering from long covid to be breaking out the champagne. Who at this point is actually worried solely about hospitalization/death?
Me.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Why do people get consoled by "this disease that's killing thousands per day? It's here forever now!"

What am I missing?

Like yeah I get "lower rates", but thats still pretty fucking contagious and deadly.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1892 American died of covid yesterday.
The strategy of getting Americans to be okay with an absurd amount of preventable death has been a resounding success.
We did it, we beat covid!

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I've said this before but it really is crazy to me how vaccinations have effectively balkanized the US. I am not gonna pretend to be a virologist so hopefully this is true, but new variants popping up is always gonna be a fear, I think.
Nah, it's just a symptom of the division that's been there all my life. It's gotten worse in the last decade for sure, but it's been nasty since I was a kid.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, we're fooling ourselves into thinking that it's "over" for a few months before the next nightmare variant comes along, except next time we won't even try any mitigation measures.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Why do people get consoled by "this disease that's killing thousands per day? It's here forever now!"

What am I missing?

Like yeah I get "lower rates", but thats still pretty fucking contagious and deadly.
It was pretty obvious early on that endemic was always going to be the best outcome of this whole thing. If things had been properly locked down in the first couple of months, maybe it could've been eliminated, but that ship sailed. The best outcome at this point is that the virus continues to mutate into less deadly forms over time.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
People are celebrating the lifting of the mask mandates at places across the state. They are just done. Can't wait for my daughter to get the vaccine when she turns five. I'll continue to get boosted and see how it plays out.

Good luck to all and your families

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
1892 American died of covid yesterday.
The strategy of getting Americans to be okay with an absurd amount of preventable death has been a resounding success.
We did it, we beat covid!
How low is acceptable to you? 0? 100? What about influenza? The flu can be fatal. It killed 28,000 people in the 2018-2019 flu season. COVID is here to stay. Should we mask forever because there are still transmissible illnesses that are potentially fatal?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
To be fair, that wouldn't end it. That would just make it less likely she'll get hospitalized. EVERYONE can get it, I've had it twice. Once unvaccinated, another while vaccinated.
And if everyone got vaccinated and wore masks it would end, actually.

But the point was quoting ElectricBlanketFire agreeing that these people wanted to do nothing to actually end the pandemic.

Like the venn diagram of anti mask people and anti vaccine people is a fucking circle.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
And if everyone got vaccinated and wore masks it would end, actually.

But the point was quoting ElectricBlanketFire agreeing that these people wanted to do nothing to actually end the pandemic.

Like the venn diagram of anti mask people and anti vaccine people is a fucking circle.
How are you defining end? As in zero cases end? How does that happen when masked and vaccinated people such as myself caught Covid?

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
How are you defining end? As in zero cases end? How does that happen when masked and vaccinated people such as myself caught Covid?

Because masked and vaccinated people are far less likely to catch or spread it. Not 0 chance, the chance has actually gone up a fair amount since Omicron came around, but far less likely. It wouldn't immediately make it disappear, but if everyone was masked and vaccinated it would keep dropping until it eventually might actually die out.

We're not going to get that low though with large unvaccinated groups and no masking. We can get low, but the rate of transmission won't drop enough for us to ever get to 0 with this many people still unvaccinated and masking ending. That said, we're at a point that without forced vaccination which simply isn't going to work in too many places we weren't going to get there anyway.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
Because masked and vaccinated people are far less likely to catch or spread it. Not 0 chance, the chance has actually gone up a fair amount since Omicron came around, but far less likely. It wouldn't immediately make it disappear, but if everyone was masked and vaccinated it would keep dropping until it eventually might actually die out.

We're not going to get that low though with large unvaccinated groups and no masking. We can get low, but the rate of transmission won't drop enough for us to ever get to 0 with this many people still unvaccinated and masking ending. That said, we're at a point that without forced vaccination which simply isn't going to work in too many places we weren't going to get there anyway.
Agreed.