• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a movie where the characters act like normal people and when someone does something dumb another character says something about it.
I disagree

they plan to run, but then decide, nah, we're going to voluntarily stay in the area and go places red might be. Also, when the daughter is told to run, she runs for a bit and then willingly puts herself in a vulnerable position by looking under the vehicle. THEN she runs back home where for all she knows Red and the rest of the red family still are?

Oct 2, 2018
Great movie. Had to tell the fucking twat next to me in the cinema to stop talking. I leaned right into their personal space and said "YOU BETTER STOP TALKING". They did.

movie: 9/10

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a Rorschach test on how one takes speculative fiction? Showcasing how narrow or open they are about how a film should or could convey themes?

Cubo

May 14, 2018
I thought this was bad. I hate when movie characters are plain stupid or make stupid decisions/ things just because the script need those things to happen. And in this film EVERYONE did it, it was awful!!

Because of that I felt almost nothing forma the scene that should supposedly be the most tenseful in the movie, because you could tell that nothing was actually going to happen.

I did enjoy the humour in the film, and how Peele pretended to make a social commentary through a horror film. The idea was neat and it could work, but I needed the actual script and characters to make sense for me to be fine with it. As it is, it ended up as a good idea with a bad execution.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
This movie was fucking awful. What a stupid, almost slapstick tone basically all throughout.

100% my ass.

Get Out was way better, and I even thought that movie was overrated.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Had to tell the fucking twat next to me in the cinema to stop talking. I leaned right into their personal space and said "YOU BETTER STOP TALKING". They did.

I thought the movie was awful but I had this exact experience except the douchebag couple refused to shut the fuck up.

Does this movie bring out assholes who want to give their commentary the whole movie? That dickhead apparently never heard of whispering.

I just ended up passive aggressively mocking him through the rest of the movie. Dude was a fucking brick wall and didn't get it. I switched seats, came back, asked if he was gonna talk the whole movie, etc, etc. Asshole didn't care.

What a crappy experience.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Just saw it last night and absolutely loved it. Not like any of the cast gave a bad performance, but Lupita Nyong'o was absolutely fantastic all throughout it. Been real fun seeing her show up in so many big movies over the last few years.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I was left bemused by the whole thing. If there was a message I just couldn't quite get it, and my final determination was that a lot of the stuff was just there to look weird and unsettling rather than having any real meaning. Once the film lost me there, the giant plot holes became impossible to ignore. I thought get out was a good movie but a poor horror movie, this was just overall poor for me at least.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I was left bemused by the whole thing. If there was a message I just couldn't quite get it, and my final determination was that a lot of the stuff was just there to look weird and unsettling rather than having any real meaning. Once the film lost me there, the giant plot holes became impossible to ignore. I thought get out was a good movie but a poor horror movie, this was just overall poor for me at least.

The weirdness alone made it entertaining enough for me but the messaging and plot holes left me with little to take away.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe use your time to think about everything in the film and what allegories it may have been serving in the current climate.

Just walked out of the film and I thought the film's message was worn pretty well on its sleeve. But fuck me some of you need to learn to see the forest.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Loved Get out so was excited to watch this. Can't remember being as disappointed in a movie as this.

I genuinely can't believe that this is sitting on that high a tomato score.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I genuinely can't believe that this is sitting on that high a tomato score

Yeah I truly don't know what it is people are apparently seeing from this movie beyond the "deep" themes, and the lead's acting.

Plot and tone completely ruin whatever it is they're going for.

Does the movie even actually make sense? Impossible to suspend my disbelief over such a ridiculous story. And I understand when some movies wanna be deeply metaphorical like Mother! but that movies knows what it wants to be much more than this does.

Feels a bit like Peele's up his own ass with this one a bit.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
This movie has more plotholes than swiss cheese.

you know what? it buggged me, but then I realized, the movie is supposed to at times
or at least when it comes to the explanation, the person narrating (red) what happened, is only guessing and is mentally compromised

Last edited:

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017

Deleted member 24112

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It was fine and fairly entertaining for the most part. Some good performances and I enjoyed some of the comedic moments. Jordan Peele knows how to move the camera and use music effectively. The ballet sequence was excellent with the use of the Michael Abels' score. However, the movie was nowhere near as clever or as thoughtful as it thought it was. For a movie that is ambiguous about what it's trying to say, it sure loves to spell out the premise with a Scooby-Doo style exposition dump that does not make sense even within the logic of the world Jordan Peele created. It's unfortunate that the media is obsessed with calling Jordan Peele a visionary horror auteur after two movies. Two! He's an excellent director with a good eye for detail; however, I hope he improves on his craft and continues to experiment and not fall victim by his own hype. He should see M. Night Shyamalan as a cautionary tale. 6/10

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to say that you have to like this movie because of it, but its very clearly a work of magic realism, or at least its much closer to one than Get Out was. Trying to unpack the literal logic is going to be an exercise in frustration, what's important is how the cohesive experience washes over you, and it worked really well for me

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
You're watching movies wrong. Watch less Cinemasins (and their ilk).

I never watch that shit and I'm not the type to shit on movies; this movie just has a terribly inconsistent tone and it veers off into far too goofy and nonsensical territory.

This movie having some "deep themes" and subtexts doesn't excuse the lack of compelling storytelling, tension in a supposed horror movie, or just basic logic.

Allegorical movies like Mother! are done far better. It can stand to take itself seriously for more than 30 seconds at a time.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I enjoyed it. It's been said a lot already but Lupita's performance was excellent. The final confrontation between Adelaide and Red was beautifully shot. It was funny at times (especially Fuck Tha Police) but it never ruined the tone for me. Fantastic soundtrack as well.

Last edited:

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
User Warned - Derogatory Language
For the life of me I can't comprehend HOW this movie gets so much praise? WTF is going on? The movie completely falls apart in the 3rd act and it has plot holes en mas!

The first 2 acts are amazing. It was really tense and it held the audience in suspense and I really wanted to know what was going on!? It had a HUGE disconnect at one point where the whole audience in my theater didn't react as expected,.. I would think?

When the big red guy is on the boat and he moans like a retard. The whole theater burst out laughing. I don't believe it was meant to be funny?

Here's some of the questions I have post watching the movie:
the good ol' switch-a-roo. I called this when the parents were saying that they just wanted their little girl back. That she hadn't said a word. Sure, it could have been trauma of being lost and seing you double but knowing what genre movie this was, as soon as they said that, I leaned into my girlfriend and said, "I guess they switched".

And the twist was DUMB! Do NOT tell me that RED choked out that little girl and dragged her into the underground to take her place, and she would magically forget? And her son looking funny at him in the end made no fucking sense. Sure, she acted like a wild beast killing people but that could be a normal response in a life and death situation. At the end of the day she is STILL his real mom. He came out of that woman.

Red said they wanted to make a statement and hands across america is a pretty big one. She wanted people to know that they existed. But why kill people? Why not do the statement and make people wake up and realize whats going on? And on top of that, it takes a hell of a lot of people to make a chain of people across america. So the underground area must have been a LOT bigger than just Santa Cruz. And how did they even get out? If they're tethered to the people above?

Which brings me to the next point. Red explained that the underground was man made. That the tethered was created to control the people on top like puppets. What!? It's the people below who are controlled like puppets?
She said that they were given up on and that the tethered had been abandoned. How did they get food then? Sure the rabbits could (and are) banging like crazy, but they need to be fed too.

I have a lot more on my mind but this must be it for now.

Get Out was way, WAY, better in my opinion.

oh and a final tidbit that annoyed me...
When Adelaide is handcuffed to the coffee table trying to reach the fire poker. Just move the coffee table closer. You can clearly see it's a wooden frame with a glass top. It's not solid steel welded to the floor....

Last edited by a moderator:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I enjoyed the movie. It's the first horror film I've gone to see at the theater since the US adaptation of Ringu, or The Ring. I was a pre-teen back then and the premise/visuals/actual scares were enough to traumatize me out of the entire genre for a few years, and I've been extremely tepid about doing the horror film genre at all since -- I pick and choose my horror films super carefully. I know horror fans look at The Ring and mostly see trash, but hey, I was a wuss before The Ring and I've been an even bigger wuss ever since.

That said, I liked Get Out and went into this based on appreciation for Jordan Peele. Dude is talented as hell as an entertainer. Us doesn't break the streak for me, but as a horror film, I guess I didn't really come away super satisfied -- I came away from Us with a feeling of it being more like a dark comedy with a facade of horror operating under scenes of tension. Like, the movie seems to deliberately ease its tension all the time, and I remember having my sense of humor evoked way more than a sense of dread. None of the humor came from a sense of lackluster acting, writing, or filming though -- all of that felt superb. It just felt like it was written to be pretty damn funny. I almost feel like Peele wanted to emphasize his talents from sketch-writing and blend it into an elaborate (or at least, more elaborate than typical horror) horror premise. I kinda felt like the film was subverting itself from becoming horrifying at nearly every opportunity that it could. As someone who's fucking adverse to horror, this approach was a lot more engaging to me, and ultimately more satisfying as a film. And not one second of the supposed "dark comedy" felt like it was slapstick acted, like it was all acted and presented straight-faced by a really great cast, and even then I attribute a sense of intentional subversion. It felt like the theme of the movie was to kinda flirt and almost laugh at existential crisis -- to sort of face it down and fight back against the bleakness of questioning the validity of ones own existence (or perhaps even flirting at the horror/futility of contemplating it at all?). I feel that I'd need to watch it a few more times to really pick and grab at well defined evidence, though -- that's just a single-viewing cursory glance at how I read the movie.

As far as contemplating scientific reasoning and disastrous outcomes, I don't think that's really the film's intent. I think there's a more abstract question being asked by the film's premise, not a plausible exploration of the application of science gone wrong. I think trying to point out plotholes in the premise is kind of a wrong read of the movie. I also don't feel like I noticed or retained enough from my single viewing to really offer up any other type of read with confidence and examples that enforce it.

Alas, the film was advertised as spoken of as a horror film, but as a huge fucking wuss when it comes to horror films, I kind of associate the distinction with a sense of dread or disturbance that follows in its viewing. I suppose I can admit that the film left me thinking a lot about existential crises since my viewing, but I'm failing to really go anywhere I haven't really gone with those thoughts already. Like, naturally, the physical manifestation and witnessing of an identical doppelganger would throw most people -- myself included -- into question about the validity of their existence, and perhaps likewise for the doppelganger assuming a likened sense of self-awareness. It makes sense to me that that meeting could turn violent. What I didn't expect when I went into the film was for it to almost feel like some of the characters either lacked enough self-awareness to care about the existential implication or were sternly self-aware enough to face it with what I perceive to be a relative sense of calm. There were points of where it felt like characters became vulnerable, but then just when things begin to escalate and the stakes seem to be at their all-time most dire, it feels like there's a radical turn in attitude and capability that's almost darkly funny without being overtly slapstick about it -- and I thought that was pretty damn awesome subversion of my own expectations.

Spoiler tag to reference scene where I began to see the stakes escalate but there's a huge turn in the principle cast's approach to their situation:

When the Tethered versions of the principle cast are outrun and the principle cast enters the white family's home and the film portrays the first on-screen casualties of any of the Tethered. It felt like the family was walking into a trap, but at that point they had successfully outrun their own Tethered doppelgangers and then began to take a stern stand against the white family Tethered that were hiding in the house. From then on, it feels like the family has the upper hand in my eyes, a real momentum turn that didn't lose the tension but began to feel almost comedic how competent they were at dealing with the scenario as the film starts to show that the Tethered can actually succeed at killing. Again, it does this all without the characters really acknowledging the turn in their favor -- I think the music playing over the fake Alexa is a tad slapstick, but none of the characters are really buying into that expectation.

I wish I could kind of elaborate more on why I feel like that feels like such a significant moment and a huge tonal shift, but that's the point to me where it feels like the film completely changed.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I thought this was bad. I hate when movie characters are plain stupid or make stupid decisions/ things just because the script need those things to happen. And in this film EVERYONE did it, it was awful!!

Because of that I felt almost nothing forma the scene that should supposedly be the most tenseful in the movie, because you could tell that nothing was actually going to happen.

I did enjoy the humour in the film, and how Peele pretended to make a social commentary through a horror film. The idea was neat and it could work, but I needed the actual script and characters to make sense for me to be fine with it. As it is, it ended up as a good idea with a bad execution.
I agree with you. I suppose after Get Out, I was expecting more from Peele. I'm still interested in Peele's upcoming take on Candyman, although he is a producer for that one, I believe he is one of the writers and is heavily involved.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it but the last act didn't work for me and could see the last shot of the film coming a mile off

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Very disappointing. Well made in some ways. First two acts were very good. Comedy was great in parts.

But none of it comes together. The themes are uneven. The logic is stupid even for a horror film. The plot twist at the end you can see a mile off and actually does not have a huge impact on you as it does not mean a lot in the grand scheme.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The movie should have ended when they killed the fake white family, after they watch the news and decide to run, everything after that I just did not care.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Movie was wonderful.
The C.H.U.D. in the opening combined with the whole tunnels thing, foreshadowed so much of the film for me. Loved the subtle commentary on oppression the movie provided.
. I went to see it in a theater filled with teens and it was hilarious how most of them sounded confused as fuck when the credits rolled.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

That intro theme is like straight out of Nier/Nier Automata. Magnificent

My first thought was Ghost In The Shell: Making of Cyborg. Similar, not same beats, it's like they could have been on the same soundtrack or something. I never played Nier or heard the similar familiar track though.

Oct 26, 2017
Loved it. I think this'll be more like Unbreakable than something like Get Out or Sixth Sense where people will appreciate it more overtime.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Good movie, but I can't possible get scared when it uses
"Fuck da Police" by NWA
for one of its major scenes. It's quite the mood whiplash.

Plot twist was so obvious it would have been better without it tbh. It's the kind of story decision that takes me out of the movie and makes me feel the writer wanted a twist for the sake of having a twist.

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got to see it a couple nights ago. The girlfriend an I were super excited. We loved Get Out, and had kept from hearing anything at all about Us.

It ended up being rather disappointing. My girlfriend straight up doesn't like it, while I think it's disappointing but still worth watching.

I thought the premise was great, but felt the second half just didn't live up to the first. I honestly think it would have been better if they explained less, since
1. unexplained stuff is creepy and cool
2. I feel like the explanations just open it up to thinking about it too much, and then stuff falls apart. I usually am pretty good about suspending disbelief, but I felt like it opened itself up to questioning.

I also felt the twist didn't really add much.

Overall I think it could have been a lot better if it had like one more revision to clean it up a bit, but I still enjoyed a lot of individual moments in it.

I'll still go see whatever Jordan Peele puts out next, just because I like how creative the guy is, and Get Out was just so freaking good that I'm all in for a while.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I honestly think it would have been better if they explained less, since
1. unexplained stuff is creepy and cool
2. I feel like the explanations just open it up to thinking about it too much, and then stuff falls apart. I usually am pretty good about suspending disbelief, but I felt like it opened itself up to questioning.

I also felt the twist didn't really add much.

Overall I think it could have been a lot better if it had like one more revision to clean it up a bit
I'll still go see whatever Jordan Peele puts out next, just because I like how creative the guy is, and Get Out

100% this

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw the movie last night, thought it was excellent. I might even like it more than Get Out.

Oh and Jesus Christ Lupita Nyong'o is sooooooooo hot.
My wife and I were discussing this. It's absurd the amount of brainwashing, conditioning, and racism there is in society. Lupita is easily one of the best looking people in Hollywood but racism in society won't recognize that.