• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It kinda makes me a bit miffed when people act like the act of moving is just something you, you know, do.

I'm very attached to my home and parents, I guess its a lot easier if you had shitty parents.
It's a stupid cultural thing ingrained in Americans from the past. I don't see it as much anymore but it's still there. Having been born and raised here I always found it weird when I heard my peers insist on abandoning their parents as soon as possible (not even getting into the topic of not taking care of parents when they're older instead of putting them in a nursing home). I'm Eastern European and that concept was always foreign to me. I'm always welcome st my parents' place. I don't live there anymore but I could definitely go back if I wanted to. And I fully expect to house them any way I can when they're ready to retire.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only recently out of this arrangement and it's soul destroying even with all the money that can be saved.

Cannot imagine going back to that as I near 30 other than a short period between two places or if one of us needs to be a Carer for the other. I see my mum regularly so it's not like I wanted to be rid of her, just needed my own space.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how someone could even cope with that. I couldn't wait to get out of my Dad's house when I graduated high school because it was a religious, conservative household. I lived in my mom's house until I was 19 and then moved out. I can't possibly fathom living with them as an adult because they were both such challenging people to deal with (and still are.)

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not shocked by this. As the years go by the cost of living has continually been going up with wages/salaries not keeping pace.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't me but that's the way it fucking should be. Give your children a leg up in life. Traveling and meeting friends from other countries and seeing how for many of them being in their twenties and having their parents home as a home base was a great boon. I have a son now. If he's not on drugs, a loafer, etc. I got him. We'll sit talk about what he needs to get ahead if he want's or can't afford to be anywhere else.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
God damn do I wish that was rent here in NYC.

Median income here is a lot lower, less than 10 years ago you could get a 3 bedroom house for 800 or less a month. Wages haven't increased at all with the increase in rent. Which has nearly doubled in a short time. We also have basically no public transportation, everything is reliant on owning and maintaining a car.

New universal park is going to make it even worse shortly. Too many investment properties that focus on short term rentals for tourists.

Comparing everything to new York York or San fransisco is reductive. Even though it's fucked or at least falling apart all over the country

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Question for those of you that are in this adult living with parents situation how do you feel about that? I am someone that wished I could have lived at home longer to save up money so staying at home longer seems like a really smart idea if you can.

It's not ideal but I would probably be on the street without their help. I'm making gains to get my own place though.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Things were a lot different in the mid-90's when my girlfriend and I moved into our own apartment when I was 21, and could afford it on our minimum wage jobs. Now, my daughter's 20 and I'm happy to provide her a home base as she goes to college and for as long as she needs. Though with the way rent is going in this town, I'll probably need her to help out within the next year or two.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
I'm almost 28 and live with my mom because I actually make more than her and she can't pay the rent by herself. Financially, we're roommates. Where we live is in the middle of town with convenient access to everything and I'm only minutes away from work. If not for these situations, I would've moved out and lived with friends years ago.

For the time being, I'm saving up what I can, helping her to keep afloat, and trying to move up in my workplace so I can eventually leave. We get along great and the living situation is fine, so I'm mostly cool with it, it's just the prospect of dating doesn't feel so great.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Honestly shocked at how few people live with room mates at 26.

I just turned 30 and moved out at 23 after I got my first job. I didn't have enough money for a bed after paying first/last/security, so I slept on an air mattress for two months.

When I look at my savings and student loan balance, I sometimes wish I had stayed at home longer, but I would have been miserable there. I also don't know how much I care about owning a home, but that's also because I would pay 800k for something comparable in this area...

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Median income here is a lot lower, less than 10 years ago you could get a 3 bedroom house for 800 or less a month. Wages haven't increased at all with the increase in rent. Which has nearly doubled in a short time. We also have basically no public transportation, everything is reliant on owning and maintaining a car.

New universal park is going to make it even worse shortly. Too many investment properties that focus on short term rentals for tourists.

Comparing everything to new York York or San fransisco is reductive. Even though it's fucked or at least falling apart all over the country
Not comparing. I'm simply speaking for myself in that I wish I could be paying that here in NYC.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shoutouts to those working 40 hour weeks but just not making enough to survive on your own.

But I think social factors play a huge role too. My little brother will be 26 next year, lives with our parents, but spends all day on the internet. Not gonna make money or find a partner doing that...

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Approaching 30 in a few years and I'm still living with my single mother...
It's fucking miserable and I don't how I can ever change my situation unless I become a millionaire.
My mother has nobody else but me, to take care of her in her old age and I could never have the courage to ever send her to an old folks home.
I'm fucked.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I do consider living with your parents at 26 to be a sad thing. None of my friends have lived with their parents since their early 20s (22-23 ish), and I am talking about friends in 3 contintents (Latin America, United States and Europe).

In latin america is common to live with your parents until you marry.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In latin america is common to live with your parents until you marry.

Used to be I guess, but I don't see it in my circle of friends. Most of them move out a couple years after college. My younger sister did too although a bit older at 25. The only friends I know that lived with their parents where people building houses that wanted to save money while their house was being built, so they moved in after construction started.

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
My parents kicked me out of the house when I was 17. Seems they didn't think that dealing pot qualified as "gainfully employed"...

My wife and I told my three kids that I would pay for their tuition as long as they did well in school (decent grades, not suma cum lauda) until they completed their chosen degree or finished a Masters, and after that they were on their own... AND they were out at 25 with six months flex to get things sorted, whether they were done school or not... two of the three of them finished school while living in their own place (but without student debt)...

We were fortunate in that we had the foresight and the means to plan well in advance for our childrens' educations (and it helps to live in Canada, of course)...and thank heavens for it because I love my kids to pieces and would die for them without hesitation but there is no way in hell I'm living with any of them as adults!!!

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Raises hand! 27 and with parents and I don't give a FUCK! I make close to 90000K and live with parents. Saving loads of money.
Of course I pay them money, but who gives a shit. That money is going back into our family and not some sick fuck who charges ridiculous prices for rent.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Raises hand! 27 and with parents and I don't give a FUCK! I make close to 90000K and live with parents. Saving loads of money.
Of course I pay them money, but who gives a shit. That money is going back into our family and not some sick fuck who charges ridiculous prices for rent.

Just curious, what's your endgame in this situation? With that salary, and a good savings I'd assume, you could easily buy a house. And do you find that it affects your social life?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, screw that noise. You couldn't have paid me to live with my parents in my late 20's or 30's. Unless you have no sex life, and don't care about personal space/privacy living at home at that age would be a nightmare. It does explain why the average 30 year old these days acts like a teenager, because they're still living at home with the same dynamic and doesn't experience the growth and maturity that having to be ones own provider brings. It's no wonder so many of you are miserable.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
there's no shame, Americans in their 20s, to still live with your parents...

99% of (single) adults in their 20s still live with their parents here in singapore....(during to the unique housing situation).

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes but what about independence and learning valuable life skills?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It kinda makes me a bit miffed when people act like the act of moving is just something you, you know, do.

I'm very attached to my home and parents, I guess its a lot easier if you had shitty parents.
A lot of people go away to college and learn how to be independent and then want to continue that life. Also, a lot of people have moved around home to home prior to college, I am not sure I know anyone that has parents still in their childhood home.

No reason to get miffed about it.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I got super lucky and was able to move out at 22 completely on my own, I can't imagine how hard it is for kids now almost a decade later.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it. I'm 34 and didn't leave my parents house until I was 29. My gf and I have been living together ever since. I'd probably still be there if I didn't meet someone I cared enough for that made me want to do better.

Jan 4, 2018
I'm 24 and live with my father.

Although, I don't live at home. He replaced a roommate of three years who left after college graduation so that I could keep staying at this two bedroom.

I suppose you could say that my parent lives at home with me

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It's fine in Asia as long as you're still working.

Most people I know do move out the moment they have a stable relationship with someone.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
And those old farts wonder how they managed to buy a house and go to college with one job. It's obviously that young people are super lazy (while working multiple jobs)

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
It costs too damn much and people are marrying later because if struggling with jobs and getting their lives in order...and living with parents hinders dating as well because of the still present stigma.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
i mean, having room and food for free feels good man

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I'm 31 and I didn't move out until my late 20s. Honestly, it still feels like the smartest move from a financial standpoint. Even paying my own way at my parents' place, it was still cheaper than living on my own. As a result, I had a decent amount saved up and have a (reasonably) comfortable safety net now, even if my place is super small and I'm still very stingy with my money.

(Granted, I like having a small place. Less to clean.)

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Kicked out by my mother at the age of 17. Was homeless in CA for 3 months. Shit was traumatic. I knew I was never going to be able to afford anything in the Bay Area: uni, rent,a car, etc. so I made sure to get into a law programme in Europe. Best decision I have ever made.
Go back home and sue her. Retribution time mama!!

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
It's only going to get worse cause it's not like wages are increasing an even remotely decent rate, versus cost of living and general inflation. Then add in student loan debt? Gen Z gonna be big fucked too.

This country celebrates a meger 1.5% average wage increase like it's something amazing.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Hell I wish I could live at home until I was 26, I would have saved so much money.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not both? My wife and I lived with her parents for almost our entire 20's.

Now we're in our 30's and built a house that we can't call a duplex for zoning reasons, but it's basically a duplex. Really nice to have built-in babysitters, and I know they're happy to avoid spending their twilight years in an old folks home.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
In my country everyone lives with their parents for life usually. The son is considered good if he sticks with his parents in their old age. If theres two sons then usually its nuclear family with the parents living with one of them(or living with both by continuously changing in a certain timeframe). Living with only spouse also happens but its not that widespread.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Checkmate atheist, I'm a realtor. This paperwork is bulletproof. 😎
TsMpEgP.gif

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people go away to college and learn how to be independent and then want to continue that life. Also, a lot of people have moved around home to home prior to college, I am not sure I know anyone that has parents still in their childhood home.

No reason to get miffed about it.

I just mean like, people who talk about how easy it is to move.

mentalfloss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Those solid middle-class jobs are getting harder and harder to get, or what used to be solid middle-class jobs (file clerks, manufacturing, teachers) are now solid lower class jobs that barely pay a living wage. Folks at the top pulled up the ladder after they reached management. Now they need workers but aren't hiring and are using "lean" bullshit to justify working what few workers they have left to the bone for pennies.

I guess what I'm saying is your kids better have connections, or it doesn't matter how well they budget or plan.

Well yea, I'm not going to assume it's going to be easy.

That's why I prepare them early.

They need to be social, outgoing and make those connections.

They need to identify something they are skilled at, specialize in that role and make money off of it.

At the same time, they need to identify where they can save when others spend a lot of their income with relative value - marriage, travel, cars, more kids.

All of these things are completely within their control to manage and as a parent, it's my responsibility to help them identify those opportunities.

If I rest on my laurels now then it will just compound later when I will have less wherewithal to be able to help.

Last edited: