• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta be living in some weird bubble because all the scuttlebutt I get told about from people is so-and-so's daughter/son/coworker/friend is fresh out of college / getting married / just bought a huge house / having a baby, blablabla. I don't think I could name a single person I know of now or that I grew up with that lives or lived with their parents into their 20s but apparently it's the majority of people in this country.

I sent my kid to college a few weeks ago and I'll be damned if she's moving back in here when she's finished with school unless there is just some catastrophic event that makes it absolutely necessary...

Even if she's swimming in debt and no job gives a livable wage?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I gotta be living in some weird bubble because all the scuttlebutt I get told about from people is so-and-so's daughter/son/coworker/friend is fresh out of college / getting married / just bought a huge house / having a baby, blablabla. I don't think I could name a single person I know of now or that I grew up with that lives or lived with their parents into their 20s but apparently it's the majority of people in this country.

I sent my kid to college a few weeks ago and I'll be damned if she's moving back in here when she's finished with school unless there is just some catastrophic event that makes it absolutely necessary...

But why? Not everyone can finish college with a living wage, even if there's no debt.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017

Depends on her job. She could become a public school teacher.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I moved out for Uni when I was 18, came back for summers, then spent a year in my Mum's house after Uni, left again when I was 22 and then never looked back.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if she's swimming in debt and no job gives a livable wage?
But why? Not everyone can finish college with a living wage, even if there's no debt.

Those would be scenarios we'd have to look into at the time if and when they occur. I wouldn't have a problem with her living here for a short period and getting her footing for a bit until she can wrangle up some friends to live with but I would do so with that implicit stipulation that this is temporary and in no way permanent.

MathLx

Oct 27, 2017
Living with roommates forever baby!

But really, I see no problem living with your parents when it's the best option. I would probably live with my parents if I worked in the city they live in.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India

As someone from Asia, this opinion is so out there for me, like it sounds like legitimate science-fiction stuff. Real questions: do you just dislike living with her or something? How do you plan to be cared for in your old age?

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
I wonder what happened in the early 10s to ruin every young persons lives? A lost generation.

Oct 27, 2017
Thank the rentier class (mostly baby boomers and older gen x) in this rentier economy.

When it is more profitable to buy capital and rent access to it, why would you actually do productive work that creates new value and resources?

Boomers have played the economy and their own children's futures into the ground.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on her job. She could become a public school teacher.

That would be an amazing outcome to be honest and set her up right out of the gate. I've pushed that as an idea but she has no interest. My wife will be making close to 6 figures soon teaching public school, with a pension to boot.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
In Taiwan this has been a long-standing thing, btw. As well as in nearby countries. Gotta have the kids at home because family is the most important thing and someone has to take care of Mom and Dad when they get old. A daughter or first-born son leaving home before marriage is especially weird here. And yes the dating scene is hard because of this.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone from Asia, this opinion is so out there for me, like it sounds like legitimate science-fiction stuff. Real questions: do you just dislike living with her or something? How do you plan to be cared for in your old age?

I don't DISLIKE living with her, but I also feel like her just falling into old habits isn't going to help her grow. She definitely needs to get out there and handle the world on her own. Which college will definitely help with via small steps, I always tell people the most important thing I learned at college was just being independant and taking care of shit on my own.

As for who takes care of me? I'd like to think my kids would have SOME notion to do stuff for me but I also have had to put my own parents in a nursing home after trying to take care of them myself and finding out just how difficult that is. So I wouldn't begrudge them for that, I plan on having the means in place at least so they don't have to pay for it and put a burden on them.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
33, live with parents. I pay a good portion of the rent and help the family. No love life, the most affection I get is from online people. I have multiple sclerosis and my MS doctor prefers I live with people.

It's not so bad but I'll probably never get married because I'm undateable. I feel like I could totally be roomies with a significant other though. That'd be the only way to get me out of here, I think. Good luck with that though. There are plenty of guys out there who have their shit together and live on their own my age. I'm not even close to being a catch!

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
That Orlando statistic is too fucking true

Jobs down here pay shit and rents are consistently $1300+ for a 2 or 3 bedroom

As a single dad it's a fucking disaster down here. I live in a place with 6 of us.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i am not living with my parents ever again if i can help it - moved out at 23 which was already pretty late feeling to me

Oct 25, 2017
Rent is a fucking scam and people move out for no reason other then societal pressure to get reamed with debt for the rest of their life.

In other countries historically it's been seen as more normal to live in a family house or with family for a very long time.

I 100% believe the American beliefs about moving out, apartments and living on your own have just been reinforced for generations to make it seem like rent, landlords and the housing market are good and normal which they are absolutely not

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I miss the security blanket of living at home with my mother, but stepping out and being my own man was liberating. I was 24 when I moved out. Got a one bedroom apartment, one block from my job, so I saved a lot on gas.

Oct 25, 2017
My pet theory supported by nothing in particular is that America Post WW2 was a good economic bubble that allowed families to kick out kids at 18 and the kid turned out ok. Like mentioned before, other places on Earth have adult kids with the parents until marriage. And I bet other places were not top dog for 50 years after the war/didnt have enough economy to sustain the individualistic pattern.

That's not a pet theory and it is supported by a lot. Youre completely right and that's what happened.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I think it's good that people aren't rushing out of the house these days though. People are getting in committed relationships so young, and it never seems to work out.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Living with parents until you get married is pretty much ingrained in Asian culture, and even then there are adults who do get married but still live with whoever's parents have space in their house until the married couple can buy a house.

I'm one of the idiot outliers that lives all by myself, renting an apartment and not saving a damn cent because I like my privacy and freedom, and I have no long-term plan for my future!

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
At the risk of sounding like a total loser I had to move back in with my folks at age 30. I have a full time job and can save a lot of money this way.

It sucks because rent in Japan was ridiculously affordable by comparison

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm one of the idiot outliers that lives all by myself, renting an apartment and not saving a damn cent because I like my privacy and freedom, and I have no long-term plan for my future!

I want to live by myself, but I'm a student and still would need help from my parents, so not really "freedom".

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I've been out of the house since I was 18 but I know it makes financial sense for people who still live near their parents to stay there sometimes. Gotta have better wages and more affordable housing.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I acknowledge that the world is a different place compared to when I lived on my own at that age around a decade ago (where I was able to rent a not nice but not slummy apartment in the general LA area for just under $1000 a month), but I'll maintain that living on my own was a valuable and cherished time of my life.

I learned a lot about taking care of myself during this time.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The American hobby of "kick out your kids as soon as they hit 18 otherwise they'll be useless blobs" always seemed weird to me. Here, if you're working/studying at the same city as your parents there's really no reason to move unless you get married.

It's really frustrating. My GFs parents practically kicked her out and gave her a day to pack.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I am in the minority I guess

My parents live with us (me and wife) in our house which is typical for the average Indian family

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I mostly moved in with my mom because she's in her 70s and have no friends cause my dad was an abusive piece of shit who wouldn't allow her to socialize and she basically has nobody but me. With her arthritis, she's basically one misstep away from falling and dying a horrific and painful death if I don't check in on her everyday. One time, when I was living alone, I went to visit her and she was nearly dead from pneumonia.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Suprised about this.

I moved into my first own flat at 21. Is it because high rent?

mentalfloss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather kids live with their parents than get married that early (or even get married altogether tbh).

That said, once my kids hit 23..

raw

Aug 26, 2019
Honestly, it's a smart decision. I commend my fellow young adults for sucking up their pride and making far better financial decisions than previous generations.

mentalfloss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And if they don't have a well paying job?

That's what I'm preparing them for now.

I lightly joke about how I want them to gtfo but I also show them how much better a life they will have if they can land a solid middle class job early.

They don't need to be rich, they just need a stable income and a solid understanding of budgeting and they'll be fine.

Also, your name is excellent.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Parents of Era, the way things are going your kids will live with you until they are 35.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
-Weddings are expensive.
-Getting 10% for a DP is expensive.
-Paying a monthly mortgage/taxes/insurance/utilities is expensive.
-Having a baby is expensive.
-Daycare is expensive.
-Securing job that covers all that is difficult.
-There are few comfortable salary jobs available that don't require an expensive college degree.
-Student loans can follow you for a decade.

Life is too expensive to build a family around anymore. Certainly not in your 20s.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I don't DISLIKE living with her, but I also feel like her just falling into old habits isn't going to help her grow. She definitely needs to get out there and handle the world on her own. Which college will definitely help with via small steps, I always tell people the most important thing I learned at college was just being independant and taking care of shit on my own.

As for who takes care of me? I'd like to think my kids would have SOME notion to do stuff for me but I also have had to put my own parents in a nursing home after trying to take care of them myself and finding out just how difficult that is. So I wouldn't begrudge them for that, I plan on having the means in place at least so they don't have to pay for it and put a burden on them.

Wow, that outlook is interesting to me. Thank you for sharing.