• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this just a joke? I can't find anything to back it up

It's a reference to a different disney property, the simpsons. Also sort of a circular joke, because worker and parasite in the simpsons is making fun of the late 1960's Tom and Jerry cartoons, which were outsourced to eastern europe and feature bizarre animation. Those tom and Jerry episodes are referred to as the Gene deitch era and are extremely unpopular.

Last edited:

Knugen

Avenger
Nov 30, 2017
Sweden
Oh, you mean Piff & Puff: Räddningspatrullen
drake-meme.jpg

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Sie lösen jeden Fall, was sie auch tun (They'll solve every case, no matter what they do)
Das Böse hat nie Zeit sich auszuruhen (Evildoers won't have time to rest easy)

Last edited:

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Because Chip N Dale is in reference to a famous cabinet maker

chip n chap make no sense in that context and actively lose a large cultural reference in the process
Oh thats the reference. That's a relief. I had an inkling it wasn't really referencing male strippers but not that committed to googling it myself.

... ugh went down a Chip and Dale search rabbit hole. Why reference a cabinet maker, that's so random!

Slv

Oct 26, 2017
Latvia
Ah, good old Frank Zander singing that song! ♫ ♫ Hey, jetzt kommen die Hero Turtles ♫ ♫

Also... why would anyone call one chipmunk Chip and the other one... Dale?? Chip and Chap only makes sense.

By the way, I only now realised that "Käpt'n Balu und seine tollkühne Crew" is simply TaleSpin in English :O

GOAT intro song:

Oh yeah, this was my jam, this is how I learned German, while on a trip in Germany I actually got the Vol. 1 OST, which also had this song, and it was cool knowing that the person singing the intro song vas also German Goku's VA! By the end of the trip everyone was sick of me playing this CD on repeat xD

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The Dutch Knabbel en Babbel (literally: Nibble and Tattle) intro is godlike.

P-p-p-p-pak ze dan! (G-g-g-g-get them then!)

Rescue Rangers!

K-k-k-k-kom eraan! (C-c-c-c-come on over!)

Wat een helden! (Such heroes!)

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
names are often changed in languages with latin script from english because we pronounce the alphabet differently.

for example, in german we would never pronounce "dale" like in english

to actually get it naturally across to a german, you'd have to use something like däle which is more closer to how we'd pronounce it with english alphabet pronunciation. but it's often better to give a different name instead.

it's the same reason why other germanic languages for example have the same names for the renaming, because our pronunciation for letters are closer (especially common between Danish and German)

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. I always thought it's a reference to chipmunks. Are they woodworkers or something?
I'm pretty sure they're not woodworkers.

"Chippendale" is the word's most famous cabinet maker (some people know his name, others don't, it's entirely likely that children watching the cartoons didn't know the name, but their parents likely did).

"Chip" is a perfectly good name for a chipmunk. But when the second chipmunk is "and Dale", the second name doesn't make as much sense until you realize that it's "Chip and Dale" or "Chippendale".

It's like if you have a ninja who's name is "Nin", and their partner is named "Tendo". The names sort of work on their own, but then you realize that the writer was trying to make a "Nintendo" pun. The two ninjas don't need to play videogames, and some might say the pun would be too forced if they did play videogames.

(BTW, "Chippendales" is also the name of a group of male strippers who rose to fame later, which changed the context of the "Chip and Dale" naming pun.)

Jun 6, 2019
I'm pretty sure they're not woodworkers.

"Chippendale" is the word's most famous cabinet maker (some people know his name, others don't, it's entirely likely that children watching the cartoons didn't know the name, but their parents likely did).

"Chip" is a perfectly good name for a chipmunk. But when the second chipmunk is "and Dale", the second name doesn't make as much sense until you realize that it's "Chip and Dale" or "Chippendale".

It's like if you have a ninja who's name is "Nin", and their partner is named "Tendo". The names sort of work on their own, but then you realize that the writer was trying to make a "Nintendo" pun. The two ninjas don't need to play videogames, and some might say the pun would be too forced if they did play videogames.

(BTW, "Chippendales" is also the name of a group of male strippers who rose to fame later, which changed the context of the "Chip and Dale" naming pun.)

I get it, but it's obvious they should have been "Chip N' Munk". Why bring Chippendale into this? There is literally no connection.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
but what has he got to do with the Rescue Rangers?

because it's a cultural reference. It's like asking why Biggs and Wedge are so named in several final fantasy titles even though no Final Fantasy title is remotely similar to Star Wars(Kingdom Hearts gets there though).

chip and dale also wear costumes in reference to main characters in Spielberg movies as well.

Jun 6, 2019
because it's a cultural reference. It's like asking why Biggs and Wedge are so named in several final fantasy titles even though no Final Fantasy title is remotely similar to Star Wars(Kingdom Hearts gets there though).

chip and dale also wear costumes in reference to main characters in Spielberg movies as well.

But it's not relevant to Chipmunks, what the Rescue Rangers do, or anything the target demographic cares about. It's completely random. Except for the sharing of Chip between Chipmunk and Chippendale, I guess.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
but what has he got to do with the Rescue Rangers?
I think you're looking a bit too deeply for meaning behind the pun.

"Chip" is a normal given name (which was more popular back in the 1940's when these characters were created). So is "Dale" (it means "valley", as in, over hill and under dale). I don't think that "Munk" is an actual given name.

When you consider a name for a chipmunk, "Chip" is a fairly obvious, uninspired choice. But then the second name, "Dale", is a swerve that comes out of left field. Why "Dale"? There doesn't appear to be any reason behind calling a chipmunk "Dale". It seems like a completely random name. Until you line their names up as "Chip 'n Dale", and their combined name becomes a semi-famous name (Chippendale). Chip's name isn't so uninspired anymore. Dale's name isn't so random anymore. The two of them (you now realize) were named after some famous guy. There doesn't have to be any deeper meaning behind it. It's a subtle pun. One that you could go your whole life without realizing.

Calling two chipmunks "Chip" and "Munk" would be way too hamfisted and obvious. It hardly even qualifies as a pun.