• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I've learned a lot in this thread.
They put on a good spread though.
1*L4NexfGo_zxYY-M6OZjjoQ.jpeg

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Does OP knows that there isn't a single Disney character which name remains the same in all countries?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Man that intro was a mainstay in my childhood.

Chip & Chap are way better names than Chip 'n Dale.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds incredibly stupid, but has a country ever dubbed over another countries show or movie despite them speaking the same language? I'm American and I can't think of any examples but has America ever did that to a English show? Or has Spain ever did that to a Mexican show?

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
In French it's Tic et Tac, rangeurs du risque.

And the Sailor Moon theme is nightmare inducing:

Oct 27, 2017
The best examples of names being different when translated are the pun names from the English Asterix and Obelix books.

What are they in other languages?
They did in Italy, and they did something very funny with Obelix' catchphrase. "Ils sont fous ces romains" became "Sono pazzi questi romani", with the first letter of each word emphasized, giving a whole different meaning to the Roman SPQR motto.

Asterix2.jpg

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Besides: Seriously? In every, I am not overestimating, single language "名探偵コナン Meitantei Konan" is translated into "(Renowned) Detective Conan" except for thai, were it translates into "little super detective Conan".

What did the US do? Case Closed. WHAT?!

That's not as bad as renaming characters right?

Jimmy Kudo (Shinichi Kudo),
Rachel Moore (Ran Mori),
Richard Moore (Kogoro Mori),
Eva Kadan (Eri Kisaki),
Hiroshi Agasa (Herschel),
Kazuha Toyama,
Harley Hartwell (Heiji Hattori),
Serena Sebastian (Sonoko Suzuki),

George (Genta Kojima),
Mitch (Mitsuhiko Tsuburaya),
Conan Edogawa,
Anita Hailey (Ai Haibara)
Amy (Ayumi Yoshida).

This is just a tiny list, that's not even 1/4 of the cast. Unlike Chip'n Chap these are clearly cultural influenced animation which could not take place like that just snywhere in the world but clearly in Japan.

Iirc Sailor Moon had a similar problem with americanization.

best intro ever:

Last edited:

Gold Rush

Nov 29, 2017
Cookie Monster is called Krümelmonster in Germany, which apparently translates to "crumb monster".

His name in India, Biscuit Badshah, sounds way more dignified.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
This thread is incredible. I keep laughing each time I read a different country's version of the show title. I'm also quite surprised Chip and Dale was aired in so many different countries.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory:

Chip fancies himself as a Harrison Ford/Indiana Jones type (the hat and leather jacket).
Dale fancies himself as a Tom Selleck/Magnum P.I. type (the Hawaiian shirt).

And Tom Selleck was almost Indiana Jones. He won the part, but he was already contracted to play Magnum. George Lucas and Steven Spielberg tried to buy his contract, but CBS refused to sell it. Harrison Ford was their second choice to play Indy.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Besides: Seriously? In every, I am not overestimating, single language "名探偵コナン Meitantei Konan" is translated into "(Renowned) Detective Conan" except for thai, were it translates into "little super detective Conan".

What did the US do? Case Closed. WHAT?!

That's not as bad as renaming characters right?

Jimmy Kudo (Shinichi Kudo),
Rachel Moore (Ran Mori),
Richard Moore (Kogoro Mori),
Eva Kadan (Eri Kisaki),
Hiroshi Agasa (Herschel),
Kazuha Toyama,
Harley Hartwell (Heiji Hattori),
Serena Sebastian (Sonoko Suzuki),

George (Genta Kojima),
Mitch (Mitsuhiko Tsuburaya),
Conan Edogawa,
Anita Hailey (Ai Haibara)
Amy (Ayumi Yoshida).

This is just a tiny list, that's not even 1/4 of the cast. Unlike Chip'n Chap these are clearly cultural influenced animation which could not take place like that just snywhere in the world but clearly in Japan.
Apparently they were concerned about legal trouble or confusion with Conan O'Brien and/or Conan the Barbarian. As for the character renaming, that's all TMS as I understand it. They desperately wanted to market Detective Conan to kids in the US, even after it was clear it would definitely not air in a kids time slot, and for Japanese studios at the time, that means renaming characters.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Ritter des Rechts actually doesn't translate to Rescue Rangers but Knights of Justice.

And let's be real, that's badass. Who wants to be a ranger if you can be a fucking knight.