• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Update, more added:

Edit: Audio is loud
youtu.be

Tales from the Crypt - intro (4K)

*Headphone users -- this audio is loud*Taken from the Demon Knight source DVD and scaled up with machine learning. Unfortunately the original full frame 4:3 ...

youtu.be

Goosebumps - intro (HD)

Wow, this one came out phenomenal. Source is the US DVD.Not much else to say here; I'm very pleased with the results -- enjoy!
youtu.be

Monsters - intro (HD)

Based on a decent SD Youtube upload, and put through two passes, here's a squeaky clean (maybe too clean) version of the Monsters intro.Side bar:There's actu...

Takes From the Darkside
youtu.be

Tales From the Darkside - intro (HD)

Taken from the excellent starting point uploaded here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwHte61YC_Q Gave this a double pass through the AI upscaler to pull in...
Freddy's Nightmares

So I have a 30 day trial of Topaz' AI upscaling software and decided to use that time to process old opening intros to horror tv shows that never saw an HD release (or an HD sample on YouTube). For funsies.

I did Tales from the Crypt first (using a Demon Knight source DVD) and the results -- at least on mobile -- aren't bad. The original 4:3 source from the tv show opening couldn't be used due to the horrible combing artifacts, even when taken through a deinterlacing application. So for now, cropped is the best I can do. Enjoy.

Last edited:

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
it's probably already been done before but maybe the buffy the vampire slayer & angel intros?

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I'd need to see before/afters because it didn't seem that spectacular to me. I remember registering for a trial for Topaz AI thinking I'd use it to try to up-res some old videos I had only to realize that it would take literal days to do one video on a 1080.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see if anything can be salvaged from Married With Children. My finacee has asked me to add her DVDs to the Plex server, and holy crap is that show's picture quality really low.

I'd also be curious to see if you could do anything to something from the early SD seasons of Mythbusters.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It does look good, but there's a lot of grain on the source, it seems. It also looks like it only uploaded up to 1440p on youtube.

That being said, would love to see more.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd watch it. It loses a bit of that foggy, fever dream-esque quality that I seem to remember that show having, but watching it in HD would still be an interesting experience.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I have the Nvidia Shield TV Pro and the upscaling for old SD shows can look absolutely amazing. I'm sure it doesn't compare to something rendered separately and given the time to do it right, but being able to do it in real time with just about any source I throw at it is extremely convenient and useful.

OP
OP
Kinggroin

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd need to see before/afters because it didn't seem that spectacular to me. I remember registering for a trial for Topaz AI thinking I'd use it to try to up-res some old videos I had only to realize that it would take literal days to do one video on a 1080.

I have the original DVD release and the Demon Knight DVD, and the intro (especially in the former) look god awful. Super smudgy stuff filled with interlace artifacts, although the original series DVD set at least has it in the correct aspect ratio.

This AI upscaled version isn't great by any means, but it's better than all the stuff I have on hand.

Hopefully we get an official Blu someday.

It does look good, but there's a lot of grain on the source, it seems. It also looks like it only uploaded up to 1440p on youtube.

That being said, would love to see more.

I chose an algorithm that retained the grain in the source. Felt right to do so.

OP
OP
Kinggroin

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If anyone cares, I also added The Munsters.
Goosebumps is being worked on now (holy shit it's current sources are in really bad shape)

youtu.be

The Munsters - intro (HD)

Sourced from POP COLORTURE's amazing colorization found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgmiBjJFOSA Upscaled using Topaz' AI Video software, first to S...

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the awful YouTube compression is making these look worse than the actual outcome from the upscale.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
HBO getting full rights to Tales and remastering it is one of the things I want most in life.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Watched them back to back and couldn't really make out much difference to be honest. I think the source footage itself is too hazy and out of focus in a lot of areas to really tell, especially the opening shot of the house/lawn.

OP
OP
Kinggroin

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And already claimed by NBC/Universal

ROFL. In the US and Canada anyway.
What's wild is that the colorized source is at nearly a million views with seemingly no copyright strikes.

*sigh*

I feel like the awful YouTube compression is making these look worse than the actual outcome from the upscale.

At full res (4K desktop or 1440p mobile) vs the original version posted in the OP, there should be a noticeable difference. But you're still right, YouTube compression does these compares no favors. Doesn't help how poor looking the source was to begin with as well.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I have the first two seasons of DS9 up-scaled. They look fantastic. I'm waiting for a better GPU before I bother with more tho. Takes like 6 hours for an episode on my 1080ti

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
In motion there are a lot of artifacts but during more static shots it does look pretty good. I used Topaz for denoising some of my low light photographs, that capability was pretty decent.

OP
OP
Kinggroin

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Think you'd ever do a full season, or maybe a best-of collection?

Unless it looks completely hopeless that we'd get a Blu-ray release, probably not. Wouldn't be worth my electric bill honestly.

Though I'll likely do my top ten favs.

Doing god's work. This looks fantastic.

Thank you kindly, but the people who come up with these machine learning algorithms are the ones deserving of praise. I'm just doing what any horror fan in my position would (should?) do.

OP
OP
Kinggroin

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
As promised (not as good as I would have hoped, but given the low quality sources floating around, it's at least something)
youtu.be

Power Rangers Season 1 Intro (HD)

Upscaled from SD source ripped from a DVD

Thanks!

I watched it side by side with an OG Res version and it definitely cleans up peoples faces/hair well. It does well on regular scenery, and makes bright graphics pop. Seems the only thing it has trouble with is thin text or really smooth/round objects.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can you do Reboot?
71gE4jOdpoL._RI_.jpg

OP
OP
Kinggroin

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks!

I watched it side by side with an OG Res version and it definitely cleans up peoples faces/hair well. It does well on regular scenery, and makes bright graphics pop. Seems the only thing it has trouble with is thin text or really smooth/round objects.

Yep, agreed. The AI definitely has problems dealing with visual artifacts and anomalies. It doesn't know to clean up stuff like ringing or ghosting or dot crawl, and instead attempts to enhance it.

I'm curious to see if another kind of AI can do a better job here. Something like Ergan perhaps.

If I can I'll update this thread.

Also, looks like this initiative has gained the attention of bigger press
https://bloody-disgusting.com/video...sic-intro-hbos-tales-crypt-glorious-hd-video/

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing this makes me dream of DS9 being completely AI remastered someday.

Last edited:

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking about Tales from the Crypt and old anthology shows, there's a LOT of them filmed for TV that could benefit from this sorta thing. I recall watching a youtube vid about the 80s Twilight Zone episode with the Shadow Man (I think it was directed by Joe Dante) where they said there'd be no way to release such episodes on blu-ray because how they used to film these tv shows back in the day. Seeing those 80s shows, including stuff like Darkroom, Monsters, Tales from the Darkside, Freddy's Nightmares, hell, even extend that into the 90s Are You Afraid of the Dark and Goosebumps, that could be brilliant as fuck!