• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Because I know we love to talk about Rian Johnson.

It's a great back and forth interview about him working on Knives Out, but the interesting bits his him and the interviewer discussing Star Wars and their first experiences:

Uproxx: So I'm just going to make a statement.
Rian Johnson: Okay.

Apropos of nothing.
Yeah.

Younger people are surprised to learn The Empire Strikes Back wasn't the consensus "best Star Wars movie" until maybe even the '90s. It was polarizing for quite some time.
Right.

The trajectory of The Last Jedi reminds me of that.
I'm a little wary to talk about that, because I don't want to sound like, I don't know, like I'm defending anything or something.

I don't think you have to defend anything.
So, I'm a little wary that even I answer one question about it, and not on you, but then a thousand other outlets suddenly pick it up and it's like, suddenly, it looks like it's just all talking about Star Wars.

Right. As opposed to everything we just talked about before this.
That's the thing. But, as a kid, I distinctly remember being disappointed by The Empire Strikes Back.

Was that the first one you saw?
That was my first one.

Me, too. Because you couldn't just "watch Star Wars" like now. It's whatever was in the theater at the time.
I think my dad took me when I was really young to see A New Hope. Yeah, no, I remember, especially in the context of Return of the Jedi, which as a kid I adored. And so, yeah, I remember very vividly. But then Empire slowly became my favorite one. Look, man, same about you, we were in our twenties when the Prequels came out.

The weird thing about Empire was I had the toys before I saw it. All the older kids had been telling me how fun the original Star Wars is. Then Empire is released and my parents take me and it's like, what the hell was that?
Luke gets symbolically castrated by his father.

As a little kid it's like, I thought this was supposed to be fun?
Yeah. It sticks. That's why that's the one that, even though at that time I had that reaction to it, it stuck in me and it resonated with me. I remember the Prequels, that acrimony of the prequels. I think people forget exactly the tenor of the danger. We remember because we were in the thick of it. So, I mean, I don't know. I think that anything with a passionate following always has a passionate following and Star Wars is that, even more so. You can't be angry at one side of it when it's also the reason the positive is so passionate, you know? It's all part of the same thing and it always was like this basic thing. That's why I love it.

I just thought it was an interesting perspective from people who grew up in that era. Of course, I expect people to misinterpret with what is being said especially with Rian saying he was disappointed by Empire as a kid. But again it's interesting to hear more stories and examples of people not initially liking Empire when it first came out.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm a little wary that even I answer one question about it, and not on you, but then a thousand other outlets suddenly pick it up and it's like, suddenly, it looks like it's just all talking about Star Wars.

It's funny because he said the same thing in that podcast he recently did.

Then during it he spoke about how George and others thought outside the box and moved forward from their inspiration and then thousands of outlets made it seem like he said he was moving Star Wars forward.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Drive-by trolling
Glad he has the feeling that he has to defend the last Jedi because it's fucking gutter trash

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was curious to know just how hated/disliked The Empire Strikes Back truly was on release and found this great article:

This bit makes me laugh because I believe that Kylo lies to Rey about her parents but it does show the two movies have some similarities:

Is Luke related to Vader? Most think so now that Vader came right out and said it. Well, I say, do you believe everything you hear? Vader may have lied just to enlist Luke to his side. Vader would then dispose of Luke once he got what he wanted.

It's really fascinating, I wish there was more content to discover to get an accurate idea of just how mixed things were in the pre internet days. I have to rely on people just saying it was unpopular but I would like to know until what extent. If people had the internet back then would people be doing hate campaigns online also, would they attack the cast and crew and nitpick constantly over everything?

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
I don't think you have to defend anything.

I chuckled when I read this, because it is exactly what just happened with this thread.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for The Last Jedi getting that recognition in 10 years from now. Specially when JJ fucks the ending of the sequel trilogy.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that the only reason Yoda is even in Jedi is because a psychiatrist told George that kids needed to hear that Vader was Luke's father from someone they trusted, otherwise they would believe Vader was lying.

A psychiatrist essentially killed Yoda because Empire was too shocking for kids.

OP
OP
Ryan.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was curious to know just how hated/disliked The Empire Strikes Back truly was on release and found this great article:

This bit makes me laugh because I believe that Kylo lies to Rey about her parents but it does show the two movies have some similarities:

It's really fascinating, I wish there was more content to discover to get an accurate idea of just how mixed things were in the pre internet days.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the reason George included the bit where Luke asked Yoda if Vader was his father was because people thought Vader was lying and they didn't believe him.

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
Returning to topic, I apparently missed when the Knives Out trailer initially released and it was such a treat to see it after seeing all the positive buzz coming out of TIFF. Looks so zany and with that and this "American modern" take, I can't wait.

But, based on the interview answer, did he really film the entire thing in 5 weeks? Or was that only Daniel Craig's bits?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

Right. As opposed to everything we just talked about before this.
aheh

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Returning to topic, I apparently missed when the Knives Out trailer initially released and it was such a treat to see it after seeing all the positive buzz coming out of TIFF. Looks so zany and with that and this "American modern" take, I can't wait.

But, based on the interview answer, did he really film the entire thing in 5 weeks? Or was that only Daniel Craig's bits?
Sounds like the whole shoot took 5 weeks. which, impressive, but also not totally unheralded for a film with limited locations and sfx (I assume, I don't know anything more than what I saw in the trailer)

Future Gazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
People thinking that TLJ is going to be another Empire and that in 5-10 years everyone is going to come around on it are completely delusional.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
People thinking that TLJ is going to be another Empire and that in 5-10 years everyone is going to come around on it are completely delusional.
Yea it is because people already came around to The Last Jedi while a completely delusional but loud group of people think it's a heavily divisive film despite so much evidence to the contrary.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
people are going to the love the shit out of TLJ if the upcoming movie is a complete fucking disaster (which is quite plausible)

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. That's just how time works. Kids who grew up with the prequels are already calling them underappreciated masterpieces. Unless ep. 9 is the best movie ever TLJ will be remembered as the high watermark of the sequel era.

OP
OP
Ryan.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Well a lot of Era has started thinking the prequels are better than they actually are so crazier things have happened.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rian is a genius that gave us the 2nd best Star Wars movie ever and I cannot wait to see Knives Out. Looks great.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I chuckled when I read this, because it is exactly what just happened with this thread.
To be fair, it was also the OP's direct intent, so it wasn't as if the OP posted about Knives Out and a Star Wars circle jerk of love and hate erupted — yes, I know that has happened before and will happen again.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt TLJ will ever be regarded as highly as ESB.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Rian Johnson is a talented film maker but I have to disagree with the interviewer's position that TLJ's perception will change as the years go by. ESB may have surprised people with its much darker tone compared to the original but as a movie it was very well crafted and its various plot threads were actually interesting. TLJ sadly failed at the very basic level of combining its various character arcs with a compelling story. It had constant tone and pacing issues, it wasted a ton of screen time on unimportant elements instead of strengthening the interesting ones and it failed at taking advantage of the (not many) original and interesting ideas that TFA had (Finn).

I am interested in watching his new trilogy if it ever happens but time will not erase the issues that people have with TLJ.

Oct 26, 2017
But, in the end, it sounds like what Johnson really wants to do is make more murder mystery movies, with Daniel Craig's Benoit Blanc returning, a la Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot. And that sounds like a pretty great thing.
Please. Yes. I want more Craig hamming it up.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Yea it is because people already came around to The Last Jedi while a completely delusional but loud group of people think it's a heavily divisive film despite so much evidence to the contrary.

I have no qualms with people disliking The Last Jedi. I have big issues with the logic used to dislike it. Everyone who attacks Rose and Rose's line about saving those we love has a serious misunderstanding of what Star Wars is about, at a thematic level, that suggests they are incapable of understanding and appreciating the films.

And at that point they need to accept Star Wars isn't for them and move on.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you feel the need to repeat this schtick 20 times per thread should tell you that the film was, in fact, divisive.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I grew up thinking The Phantom Menace was the best just because of the Duels of Fate. Being a kid born in the 90s meant being a fervent defender of the prequels until Episode III released and then rewatching them for the 1,000th time and for some reason having it suddenly click in your head that they were dog shit. On the bright side, 2006 was when I finally embraced the undeniable greatness of Empire.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Last Jedi just isn't worth thinking about this hard. It's ok to shrug and move on with your life.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ESB was my favourite as a young adult, watching it for the first time in the late 90s, TLJ is still a disaster if I think back to my young self, its not going to be remembered fondly like ESB. It retroactively harms the OT for me.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up thinking The Phantom Menace was the best just because of the Duels of Fate. Being a kid born in the 90s meant being a fervent defender of the prequels until Episode III released and then rewatching them for the 1,000th time and for some reason having it suddenly click in your head that they were dog shit. On the bright side, 2006 was when I finally embraced the undeniable greatness of Empire.
Yup.

It just recently clicked for me that ROTS is totally shit too lol.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I seriously doubt fans of the Star Wars are going to wake up one day and think TLJ is a good film. It fails on so many levels that repeat viewings only make the movie's flaws even more obvious. There will always be those on Era who champion TLJ but I'll just keep on ignoring them, the same way I ignore people who tell me Episode 3 was a good.

Oct 25, 2017
As a kid Empire was my least favourite and Jedi was my favourite

I will echo this, I loved RotJ as a kid because it had the cool green lightsaber reveal, tons of lightsaber action, force lightning, han and leia doing cool stuff, a giant space battle and the heroes finally win. I didn't care for the ewoks much as a kid but i didn't hate em like i do now.

As a kid Empire was just a lot of talking and the heroes lose all the time.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously doubt fans of the Star Wars are going to wake up one day and think TLJ is a good film. It fails on so many levels that repeat viewings only make the movie's flaws even more obvious. There will always be those on Era who champion TLJ but I'll just keep on ignoring them, the same way I ignore people who tell me Episode 3 was a good.

Lol didn't you call RJ a cunt in the previous thread?

I wonder what kind of peeps you consider "fans of the star wars".

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry "fans of star wars" is a rather poor way of saying it. I really just meant the general consensus isn't going to suddenly change because a few years go by.
If we go by "general consensus", the movie got a "A" cinemascore.

And i doubt most who people (who watched TLJ) go on videogame forums to discuss TLJ.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for The Last Jedi getting that recognition in 10 years from now. Specially when JJ fucks the ending of the sequel trilogy.

I'm not sure that it will. Empire was groundbreaking but, like Rian said, it wasn't "fun". It was about the Empire bouncing back from the loss of the Death Star by proving they never needed one. It's not a necessity at all, it's just a convenience.

To go from a fairy tale movie like A New Hope to a surprisingly dark tale of the bad guys proving why they're the ones ruling the galaxy is quite the tonal shift, yet it was a necessary one. It made the payoff in Return of the Jedi much greater because the bad guys had proven themselves a tangible threat that the heroes were still able to overcome.

In contrast, The Last Jedi seems extraneous. Very little happened in that movie to begin with and it introduced nothing new either. It may be a beautiful movie but it's also an unimportant one, one that seems to have very little relevance to Rise of Skywalker.

Every single major development that could have happened was walked back before the movie ended (effectively making Luke's death the only important thing to happen in the whole movie) and now Palpatine is back so, assuming he's the mastermind behind the First Order, Ben proclaiming himself as Supreme Leader is kinda... irrelevant?

Just seems a lot like The Last Jedi is actually an epilogue to The Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker is its true sequel. So isn't it more likely to be remembered for being "pretty but pointless" rather than "needed but not known"?