• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
by that token it seems you could compare any shows they worked on with this show? maybe this show is more like that episode of King of the Hill with Buckley's Angel

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not suggesting people are making the comparison because they know these two creators worked together. They're making the comparisons because the two have similar comedic styles and it comes across in the shows.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The show's tone is pretty uneven. I made it through 3 episodes and there's really nothing compelling me to watch the next one.

The show's premise is great -- a guy deals with his own personal hell of living on his girlfriend's account within a digital afterlife that exists 10 years from now in our capitalist dystopian society. His only guide on this journey is Nora, a customer service rep trying to navigate the hell of real life while working at the company running the simulation.

But the execution isn't that great. I see what it's trying to do, but it's just not hitting the mark, and I feel like this has already been done better elsewhere.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny and very entertaining, but it's hard to say I'm invested on what is happening from episode to episode.

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
Finished it today, it's decent... it does deal with some cool themes but the rewatch quality is nowhere close to The Office or Parks and Rec.

Sep 28, 2018
I like the premise but I'm not a fan of the things I've seen Robbie Amell in (The Flash) or get the vibes that he is a likeable actor (weird comment, I know).

Would watch this if it was a different actor.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Just got through the first episode, this is so fucking charming. The effects are pretty dreadful but that's to be expected. Some of the comedic timing is a bit off plenty of jokes still land. It's so damn easy to love. I adore all the little details too, things like the glitches, framerate drops and the hair. It's also got Christine Ko from Dave so that's another bonus.

Definitely going to stick with it.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
The lead actor is boring AF, and some of the things that happen in regards to uploading make zero sense.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
My wife and I like it. We are 4 eps away from finishing but so far so good. If you're the type that gets hung up on the tech details of everything, then you'll probably hate it. It's quite predictable but we're enjoying the ride anyways.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I really like it but my one complaint is that I hate, hate, hate his shitty friend. I wish the show was a bit more focused on his relationship with the kid. I think there's a lot strong material to mine there than all the wasted time with his "friend" who brings absolutely nothing to the table.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I enjoyed it, and in the end I wanted more.

Was disappointed that the last episode was only around 20 minutes long.

The main charcter was a little boring, but I found the parts with 18 year old stuck in a 12 year old body and his horny friend funny.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Based on the thread title I built up in my head a series about Scene Groups and Piracy. Now I've underwhelmed myself :(

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
"Coming Mom, just fucking with dead people."
That is one of the funniest fucking things I have ever seen.

Mar 29, 2018
Interestingly, this could actually be the answer to the Fermi's paradox. Why live in the real world when you can live a thousand lifetimes in a simulation. Alien civilizations would willingly plug themselves in, their entire civilization go into the voids of space to get rid of the civilization-wide excess heat in the most efficient way possible and never to be seen again. Just waiting for the heat death of the universe while an individual can live an infinity of lifetimes
This has been my take for a long time. By the time an alien race develops spaceflight capability, they'll have no need to travel to other planets because they'll probably be so far advanced they'd have everything they need and probably be able to see very far/gather data very far - and probably have "transcended", i.e. become a digital race.

We can already see TODAY that by the time we have a colony set up on Mars or whatever we'll probably be close to or at mind digitisation.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Only one episode in but I like it so far. The two leads have good chemistry and the world, while not original, is interesting.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I was so into this that I watched the entire season in one sitting, just finished up now.
So when Ingrid says she uploaded, the implication here is that she killed herself, right? Because holy fuck, that's some heavy shit. Seems like the show is going to do a Sex Education thing where the main romantic pairing get separated at nearly every juncture when they're about to get together which means S2 will likely be stuffed with "will they, won't they" which I'm not looking forward to. Just give me that pairing, their chemistry is too good.

rezuth

Nov 5, 2017
I had no idea about this show, fantastic news!
I would also like to remind people that the first season of his shows are often very uneven.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No shit... After the media.blitz for it this past week I watched the trailer and thought it looked so lame, but I'll have to check it out if it comes highly recommend

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I realize setup and themes are different but honestly I'm having a hard time shaking the Daniels-Schur connection and find myself unable to avoid comparisons to the Good Place. If this came 5+ years after the Good Place maybe my head would be in a different spot.

Ryhian

Jan 23, 2018
I've watched 2 episodes so far and am somewhat enjoying it. Definitely has a hallmark movie/series type vibe with the mediocre acting and the way it's shot.

Will watch at least another one or two to see if it improves or becomes more interesting.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I've watched a Prime exclusive show. Carnival Row was the last, I think. I'll have to give this a shot.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I'm really liking this and don't feel like the comparisons to The Good Place are fair. Like I said, I didn't finish the final season of that, but from what I saw it was more of something that humans didn't know about, an actual heaven or hell like place that they would end up in.

This is more Black Mirror with a comedic slant. Nothing mazing, but aa pretty harmless watch with some cool ideas.

The effects are the only thing that bother me. Would've been nice to see a higher budget. I like all the actors though.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished it. It's mediocre fun. By the end, the characters grew on me, and I wanted to keep wa There are some cute moments, but this is by no means a "good" show.

OP
OP
Magic-Man

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I was so into this that I watched the entire season in one sitting, just finished up now.
So when Ingrid says she uploaded, the implication here is that she killed herself, right? Because holy fuck, that's some heavy shit. Seems like the show is going to do a Sex Education thing where the main romantic pairing get separated at nearly every juncture when they're about to get together which means S2 will likely be stuffed with "will they, won't they" which I'm not looking forward to. Just give me that pairing, their chemistry is too good.
Yep, she totally killed herself. Or her father killed her, but that would be kind of weird.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked that they gave some depth to Ingrid by showing her terrible family and having her bond with the niece. I enjoyed the show overall even if the tech was ridiculous.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
so far its ok, but completely souless. The epitome of background tv. The whole exposition scene to lay the ground work that he was
murdered
was so eye roll inducing it hurt, the show runners treat the audience like children and are heavy handed as all hell. I get why they do it, but hate it.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
DOES ANYBODY HAVE RICE?!?!??

This show is fucking great.

Also, I hated all the shit Andy Allo did with Prince, but she's absolutely fantastic in this.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
I've tried a couple more episodes, and my opinion after the first episode has only been reinforced.

This is a soulless, weak, repetitive, clinical, terribly acted show.

I've no idea what you all are seeing in it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wife suggested we give this a go and just binged the first 7 episodes, absolutely loving it so far.

The characters are all great, it's really funny and has a lot of fun with the premise and also with a forward look at society and how it evolves from where we currently are. It also has some very serious and heartfelt moments that bring it all together.

You could say it's a little predictable but I don't think it hurts it at all considering it's still really engaging and the characters are all developing nicely as it goes on.

Looking forward to watching the rest of the season.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's a LOT of themes the show tries to explore, and I'm not sure they're themes well-suited to a almost purely comedic framing. For instance, the aspect of how even the afterlife, YOUR afterlife, has you at the mercy of your bereaved family and spouse who pay the bills for it
except those who amassed enough personal wealth to exist there strings-free
is an intriguing one and will keep me invested, but the tone does feel a bit off for what they're trying to explore. And the idea that even afterlife is commoditized and segmented by corporate platforms feels like it could have been an important capitalist critique, but this isn't the right show to do that in when all that topic is used for is to goof on the world the characters exist in, like
the wildly stupid corporate mergers like Oscar Meyer Intel.
It's Black Mirror with precisely ZERO sharp edges to it, and I don't know if that works yet.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
The corporate synergy stuff is completely toothless. It's there for in-show advertisement and cheap jokes like "Panera bought Facebook, whaaaat??"

I guess that could change in the back half, but I haven't seen it yet.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
While I've enjoyed the show, the themes and a subjects the show tries to explore with it's comedic timing are completely off sometimes. Like some of this stuff is not funny but is treated like it is.

I'll give it that it slowly improved over time

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I'll watch it when I have more time. I have a million shows to catch up on.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
There's a LOT of themes the show tries to explore, and I'm not sure they're themes well-suited to a almost purely comedic framing. For instance, the aspect of how even the afterlife, YOUR afterlife, has you at the mercy of your bereaved family and spouse who pay the bills for it
except those who amassed enough personal wealth to exist there strings-free
is an intriguing one and will keep me invested, but the tone does feel a bit off for what they're trying to explore. And the idea that even afterlife is commoditized and segmented by corporate platforms feels like it could have been an important capitalist critique, but this isn't the right show to do that in when all that topic is used for is to goof on the world the characters exist in, like
the wildly stupid corporate mergers like Oscar Meyer Intel.
It's Black Mirror with precisely ZERO sharp edges to it, and I don't know if that works yet.

The corporate synergy stuff is completely toothless. It's there for in-show advertisement and cheap jokes like "Panera bought Facebook, whaaaat??"

I guess that could change in the back half, but I haven't seen it yet.

How do you both feel about Idiocracy? It bears many similarities in regards to how it addresses corporate influence and control of society.

I ask because it may be that that approach just isn't to your respective personal tastes rather than it not being an approach that works.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I watched this today, all of it, and I usually dont do that, so I really liked it

It reminded me of....

88c7e8789d669531eb51b2390567ef5f4e936677.jpg

A tad uneven, but fun. I would recommend. If they get to do a Season 2, it should be great, as they would have to do less explaining how the world and tech works and just have fun with the setting.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How do you both feel about Idiocracy? It bears many similarities in regards to how it addresses corporate influence and control of society.

I ask because it may be that that approach just isn't to your respective personal tastes rather than it not being an approach that works.
For that last sentence to make sense, Idiocracy's approach to the subject would have to work as more than just a cheap throwaway joke, according to your sentence. And naw dude, it really REALLY doesn't. It's not even terribly original, it's a blatant rehash of the same throwaway joke from Demolition Man back in 1993 and has very little new or meaningful things to say.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
For that last sentence to make sense, Idiocracy's approach to the subject would have to work as more than just a cheap throwaway joke, according to your sentence. And naw dude, it really REALLY doesn't. It's not even terribly original, it's a blatant rehash of the same throwaway joke from Demolition Man back in 1993 and has very little new or meaningful things to say.

Both Idiocracy and Upload make more use of it than just one throw away joke. The specific framing of corporate influence on society, mergers and rebranding, and how that comes to exert enough control on society as to actually mold it is a theme throughout.

The largest difference is Idiocracy suggests that it will corrupt all of society while Upload suggests that it will become an extension of class warfare.

The mega-corporation mergers are just one aspect of an ongoing theme that even connects to the main "mystery" of Upload.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love the show. I think i would Suicide out of an Upload pretty quick if I was in his or Dylan's situation. You are owned, a living doll. Horrible.

And if you somehow got into a place like where the show is set but had no funds... yeah boring real quick.

And the 2Gs? That's just pure hell. Who would want that or do that to person? A family member...