• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, the 2020 LG OLEDs are out already (BX/CX) but they don't look like much of an upgrade over the B9/C9:

www.flatpanelshd.com

LG CX OLED review

LG CX is the successor to LG C9. In addition to HDMI 2.1 and webOS, LG CX features Filmmaker Mode, HGiG, three VRR systems & more

cool, thank you, I didn't know that. Depending on prices and what not, maybe I will just get last year's model. Is Free Sync or any of the other features for the CX predicted to be important for next gen? I'm pretty clueless

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, the 2020 LG OLEDs are out already (BX/CX) but they don't look like much of an upgrade over the B9/C9:

www.flatpanelshd.com

LG CX OLED review

LG CX is the successor to LG C9. In addition to HDMI 2.1 and webOS, LG CX features Filmmaker Mode, HGiG, three VRR systems & more
I do want to chime in and say LG has horrible software support for their TVs. This is why I am personally waiting for a CX price drop because I doubt the C9 get any meaningful updates now.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
If you are ok waiting a while, I bet you can get a 55" oled fro under $1k before November.

I do want to chime in and say LG has horrible software support for their TVs. This is why I am personally waiting for a CX price drop because I doubt the C9 get any meaningful updates now.
What kind of updates are you looking for? I am a big fan of the smart tv features on the LG tvs compared to other ones I've tried. I would recommend blocking a few IPs on your router to prevent the stupid ads in the menus though.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd definitely wait if you can. Plus who knows what is gonna happen with console launches in the coming months with the pandemic.

Shit could get pushed to 2021 for all we know.

Personally I'd just try and wait as long as possible, and just keep an eye out for new sets and or deals with hdmi 2.1.

Oct 28, 2017
We just got an LG C9 and it destroys our 2017 Sony Bravia LED in every way.

Not only the picture but also the software - the Bravia's Android OS was a laggy, buggy POS.

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
I'm still waiting before we know what exactly next gen games are capable of before buying a 4K tv.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
This isn't the only place I've asked for advice on this, but it's the only one that seems to take gaming into consideration which makes it valuable for me. Otherwise, yeah I'm usually silently wishing my friend's would let me calibrate their TVs (at least they let me turn off motion smoothing).

The main things I'm looking for are good color accuracy, decent HDR presentation, good low light viewing, and low input lag when calibrated. Since I'm new to 4K and HDR I'm not sure what else I need to consider. I know I need hdmi 2.1 or better, HDR 10 and Dolby Vision support, at the very least.

Part of the reason I have the budget is because I'm also upgrading my sound system. I don't use headphones, and sound bars never quite hit the quality level I want. I currently have a 5.1 surround sound system with an A/V receiver and powered subwoofer, but I need a new one that supports 4K and HDR pass through, and I'm going for Dolby Atmos support, and already locked down my choices for that equipment.

Because of my space I'm limited to the 50-60" range. I'd love to be able to go as big as possible but my space is smaller, and I'm really comfortable with 50" at optimal viewing distance.

Once I have the space for it I definitely would like something in the 75-80" range and can relegate whatever I'm getting here soon to my bedroom lol. Thank you for the suggestions!
Haha, ok. So I guess I had you pegged wrong. :)

How close are you sitting? I feel like you could probably still do 65" at 4k resolution. I feel like 4k is mostly wasted at larger sitting distrances.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
For your budget, TCL 6 series. If you can wait though, just get a 55 inch B9/C9 LG OLED later this year. On slickdeals, I've seen them as low as $1000

Do not listen to people trying to recommend a Sony set over LG for gaming. There is objectively no reason to... unless you're a massive fanboy.

It was like the same shit where people on the boards were specifically suggesting Sony smart phones when there were again... objectively much better choices at the time.

Like what? Just stop it.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, right now Costco has a 55" C9 for 1450 and it comes with a 3 year warranty and a 150 Costco card. I want to cave but I shouldn't

edit: well maybe that's not such a good deal

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
slickdeals.net

Slickdeals: Searching for "LG OLED 55"

Slickdeals: the best coupons, deals, bargains and offers to save you money. Community driven bargain hunting with thousands of free discounts, promo codes, freebies and price comparisons.

Look how many past deals there have been. I think that later this year, when no one is buying anything because the economy is shit and they are clearing inventory, you will see 55 inch LGs start hitting the $900-$1000 range at major retailers. The $1000 pricing was coming from authorized resellers, but at Costco I think it only got as cheap as $1200 (but with a ton of goodies like 3 year warranty + Costco $100 gift card)

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely an LG OLED. That hype is real. I would have gotten one if I knew what to do with my 4K Samsung 55".

Col.Asher

Nov 10, 2017
I recently had an ancient Mitsubishi 65" DLP go kaput on me, so I went with a samsung 4k 65" led for 600. So far it's been great

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
If you are ok waiting a while, I bet you can get a 55" oled fro under $1k before November.

What kind of updates are you looking for? I am a big fan of the smart tv features on the LG tvs compared to other ones I've tried. I would recommend blocking a few IPs on your router to prevent the stupid ads in the menus though.
Getting Airplay 2 wouldn't been nice for C8 users since there was nothing preventing them from doing it. The newest version of WebOS would also be nice. Also, you don't always get apps. The Apple TV+ app is exclusive to the C9. As of last week, you couldn't even get it on the CX. Stuff like that is really frustrating especially when these TVs aren't cheap at all and are a multi-year investment and LG knows that.

Oct 29, 2017
TCL 6 Series, invest the money you saved in a decent sound system or for the new consoles. Great TV and insanely cheap for what it offers

Nov 2, 2017
Picked up a 65" TCL 5 Series for $500 USD and loving it (Im not overly tech savvy and the 6 Series was just priced out our budget).

Games look wonderful and play well (TCL has a great rep with low input lag) and screen is just unbelievable. We have been doing movie night just about every day since we got it, mostly because we are love gathering around this TV.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Vizio M558-G1: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-quantum-2019

TCl 6S/R625: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-r625-2019

These would be comparable sets to what you are asking for and both are $550 at Bestbuy. The Vizio edges out the TCL overall but the TCL does have advantages like better input lag and HDR peak brightness so you cannot go wrong with either. Both offer performance that is competitive to TVs that cost several hundred more, and the Rtings main pages have comparisons at the bottom.

Here is a direct comparison for the two TVs above: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/com...s-tcl-r625/845/1591?usage=10135&threshold=0.1

Oct 30, 2017
The main things I'm looking for are good color accuracy, decent HDR presentation, good low light viewing, and low input lag when calibrated. Since I'm new to 4K and HDR I'm not sure what else I need to consider. I know I need hdmi 2.1 or better, HDR 10 and Dolby Vision support, at the very least.

coming from a plasma you will be disappointed by basically anything other than an OLED in this regard. LCD sets all use local dimming to achieve lower black levels, and even if they have hundreds of dimming zones you're still going to see blooming around bright objects in dark scenes. this is also important for HDR performance, of course.

plasma and OLED only light up the specific pixels that need to be, and it's really hard to go back to anything else if you use your TV in a dark living room. on the other hand, LCDs can achieve higher peak brightness so they can be a better option for brighter environments.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If I buy a tv this year... This will be my first non Sony tv given their dumbass decision to forgo HDMI 2.1 on their somewhat premium LED line (950)... Concensus seems to be LG C9.... Couple of questions

1. 5 or so years ago when I got my last Sony Tv, I tried an LG for Cooke) couple of days... Man no matter the settings, the soap opera affect was atrocious. Hopefully that has changed now?

2. Doesn't look like C9 has full Chromecast built in. Am I wrong?

3. And no Android tv... That's a big feature missing... How's webos?

Any other hdmi 2.1 option u guys recommend? Thinking of a 55"

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
If I buy a tv this year... This will be my first non Sony tv given their dumbass decision to forgo HDMI 2.1 on their somewhat premium LED line (950)... Concensus seems to be LG C9.... Couple of questions

1. 5 or so years ago when I got my last Sony Tv, I tried an LG for Cooke) couple of days... Man no matter the settings, the soap opera affect was atrocious. Hopefully that has changed now?

2. Doesn't look like C9 has full Chromecast built in. Am I wrong?

3. And no Android tv... That's a big feature missing... How's webos?

Any other hdmi 2.1 option u guys recommend? Thinking of a 55"
1. The setting is called TruMotion on LG TVs and you can turn it off completely, select from three presets or adjust it on two 0-10 scales for dejudder and deblur individually so you should be able to customize it to your liking just fine.
2. No, it doesn't.
3. I think webOS is generally considered better than Android TV by reviewers in terms of usability, fluidity and features but Android TV offers more apps. All the usual stuff (Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, Apple TV+...) is there though and you can check out LG's app store here to get a better idea: https://lgappstv.com/

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
coming from a plasma you will be disappointed by basically anything other than an OLED in this regard.
I disagree - most movies use HDR most often for highlights and bright vivid colors, as opposed to super black blacks or detail in really dark scenes. If someone is prioritizing better HDR, best to get a display that can get as bright as possible, and preferably maintain that brightness.

LCD sets all use local dimming to achieve lower black levels, and even if they have hundreds of dimming zones you're still going to see blooming around bright objects in dark scenes.
Not really, in the last year the TV algorithms have really improved blooming. My Samsung Q70 I rarely see blooming at all, and I even have one with large local dimming zones since I got the 49" model. More of an issue are the cases where you have a really, really dark scene with a number of tiny bright spots (outer space with stars). Local dimming can have a hard time making those spots bright without brightening the entire zone, so instead they decide to leave the zone dim, dimming the stars.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The correct answer is LG OLED.

And whatever you do, don't get a Sony or Android.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buying anything that isn't fully HDMI 2.1 compliant would be a total waste, as some of the biggest benefits with this generation will be delivered by variable refresh. It's going to be a standard feature this upcoming generation, so missing out on all the latency reducing, frame rate smoothing benefits would be a huge misstep.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TCL is a good brand, if you can't wait. I got a 55" from Best Buy about 2 years ago (the P605), and it's been absolutely wonderful.

JMeth

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
I disagree - most movies use HDR most often for highlights and bright vivid colors, as opposed to super black blacks or detail in really dark scenes. If someone is prioritizing better HDR, best to get a display that can get as bright as possible, and preferably maintain that brightness.

Not real in the last year the TV algorithms have really improved blooming. My Samsung Q70 I rarely see blooming at all, and I even have one with large local dimming zones since I got the 49" model. More of an issue are the cases where you have a really, really dark scene with a number of tiny bright spots (outer space with stars). Local dimming can have a hard time making those spots bright without brightening the entire zone, so instead they decide to leave the zone dim, dimming the stars.

While Oleds do not in theory get as bright as LCDs with HDR, their HDR performance is still generally more impactful since their contrast is better and they handle HDR with better precision and without the drawbacks of LCD such as light bleed and blooming. I went from a Sony 930e which was a true light blaster to a C9 and even so the 930e is on paper better for HDR due to its high peak values, the C9 still destroys it in HDR performance. Everything just is much more refined and engaging.

Oct 30, 2017

Not really, in the last year the TV algorithms have really improved blooming. My Samsung Q70 I rarely see blooming at all, and I even have one with large local dimming zones since I got the 49" model. More of an issue are the cases where you have a really, really dark scene with a number of tiny bright spots (outer space with stars). Local dimming can have a hard time making those spots bright without brightening the entire zone, so instead they decide to leave the zone dim, dimming the stars.

right, that's the kind of thing i'm talking about. LCDs also aren't as good for bright HDR content with fine detail in the highlights — for example the contrast when showing light reflecting off a textured surface is much less noticeable even if the peak brightness is higher, because the backlight is still on for the whole area.

i agree that LCDs can be better for some HDR situations, but given OP said viewing in low light was a priority, i think they'd be put off by the blooming compared to plasma and wouldn't value the higher overall brightness as much.

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah, me too. I'm look at 2020 LG OLED, either CX or GX. Don't know much, but don't think there's much difference between the tv so probably go with the cheaper CX

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
right, that's the kind of thing i'm talking about. LCDs also aren't as good for bright HDR content with fine detail in the highlights — for example the contrast when showing light reflecting off a textured surface is much less noticeable even if the peak brightness is higher, because the backlight is still on for the whole area.

i agree that LCDs can be better for some HDR situations, but given OP said viewing in low light was a priority, i think they'd be put off by the blooming compared to plasma and wouldn't value the higher overall brightness as much.
But as I said, there isn't major blooming in modern sets, even in low light situations. That is a problem that has been greatly improved in the last year. Yes, older LCDs had major blooming issues - a friend of mine has a Samsung Q60, I have the Q70, his TV has a big blooming issue, mine doesn't.

Oct 30, 2017
But as I said, there isn't major blooming in modern sets, even in low light situations. That is a problem that has been greatly improved in the last year. Yes, older LCDs had major blooming issues - a friend of mine has a Samsung Q60, I have the Q70, his TV has a big blooming issue, mine doesn't.

it's still noticeable if you're coming from OLED/plasma.

here's a video of the Q70's local dimming:

www.youtube.com

Samsung Q70R Local Dimming

Full review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q70r

not garbage, and this is obviously a stress test, but the difference is clear. even apple's new $6000 "pro" monitor has blooming and problems dealing with highlights in transition, it's just a limitation of the tech.

i'm not saying your TV sucks, i'm saying someone still using a plasma TV in 2020 and who values low-light performance should think twice about LCDs.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're honestly looking at getting a TV to last you a good amount of time, don't compromise due to budget, save a bit more and get a HDMI 2.1 OLED that handles HDR very well, if you buy a cheaper set you'll likely get crappy HDR, no HDMI 2.1 or both.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I recently picked up a dirt cheap KS8000 and it has been great. I'll look into a high end TV once the next gen consoles have been out for some time.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
OLED is the way to go OP. I've had a C7 since June 2017 and I still love watching movies on that thing. Footage looks very natural to my eyes. Nice colors and deep blacks, plus low input latency for when I play a console game.

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
The ST60 is still one my favorite TVs. I've sold a lot of tvs, and the only I've kept is the plasma. The PQ is better than a lot of the newer tvs I've had.