• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this is current, but it should be similar to these settings:
jyegltjxn6kn2.jpg

Your post sounds like you were trying to enable it for speakers.

Thank you! My DAC does work in USB mode on the PS5, and this XSX setting made DTS:X work immediately via HDMI and then optical from my TV to my DAC! Thanks for the tips, this is game changing.

Really regret my 7X purchase but I guess they can be a Christmas gift now :')

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I purchased the X2HR but I'm trying to figure out which DAC/Amp to buy. The one in the OP seems a bit too pricey. Would this be a good option instead?

Are you wanting to use it with the PS4/PS5? If so then I'd avoid it.

It's also pricey, but the Sound BlasterX G6 is a great option if you're wanting to use it for consoles and music since it works with PS4/PS5/Switch/Xbox 1/PC due to having both USB and optical inputs and does have Dolby 5.1 output through optical as well.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I just got the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, also open back, and man, what a difference this makes compared to closed headphones. It sounds so much better and more natural. Was using the MMX 300 headset before, which is also great, but closed.

I definitely prefer open. It's also noticeable more comfortable for your ears over longer periods of time.
I literally couldn't stand the DT990's after about an hour of listening to them, the over-emphasized treble actually hurt my ears which was a first for me.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Did the same thing OP but with my Sony WMX-CH007Ns, a similar boom mic and my rechargeable amp, I can also activate the noise cancelling on them too. Yet to try my old fidelios

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I literally couldn't stand the DT990's after about an hour of listening to them, the over-emphasized treble actually hurt my ears which was a first for me.

I agree, I sent my pair back and ended up getting some Tygr 300's for my PC. They really tuned out the signature murder treble and spikey highs that most Beyers suffer from on the Tygrs, so maybe worth looking into if you want to try them again.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I agree, I sent my pair back and ended up getting some Tygr 300's for my PC. They really tuned out the signature murder treble and spikey highs that most Beyers suffer from on the Tygrs, so maybe worth looking into if you want to try them again.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm super happy with my Sennheiser 58X's though and I'm hoping the X2HR's that I ordered earlier today will be a nice complimentary piece for those times I want open-back with a little extra bass.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Are you wanting to use it with the PS4/PS5? If so then I'd avoid it.

It's also pricey, but the Sound BlasterX G6 is a great option if you're wanting to use it for consoles and music since it works with PS4/PS5/Switch/Xbox 1/PC due to having both USB and optical inputs and does have Dolby 5.1 output through optical as well.
Yes I'm planning to use it with the PS5 as well. Why should I avoid it, and why do you recommend the Sound BlasterX G6 instead? The Sound Blaster is almost 2x the price of the Fiio.

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yes I'm planning to use it with the PS5 as well. Why should I avoid it, and why do you recommend the Sound BlasterX G6 instead? The Sound Blaster is almost 2x the price of the Fiio.
Many people report low volume on the E10K when used on the PS4/PS5, whereas something like the Sound Blaster is designed with the consoles in mind and doesn't suffer from the same issue. In addition, the G6 has higher sound quality and also works on the Switch whereas the E10K does not if that matters to you.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Many people report low volume on the E10K when used on the PS4/PS5, whereas something like the Sound Blaster is designed with the consoles in mind and doesn't suffer from the same issue. In addition, the G6 has higher sound quality and also works on the Switch whereas the E10K does not if that matters to you.
Gotcha, yeah I would like to potentially use it with the Switch as well. Will look into the G6 then.

gooie

Oct 27, 2017
How do the X2HR compare to AKG K702s? I have some original X1's but with 3rd party pads on and they don't have the soundstage of my K702s but I wouldn't mind swapping if the X2HR are better.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
How do the X2HR compare to AKG K702s? I have some original X1's but with 3rd party pads on and they don't have the soundstage of my K702s but I wouldn't mind swapping if the X2HR are better.
So I'm no expert and haven't personally listened to either yet (although I have the X2HR's on the way) but from what I've read the K702's are much more neutral and focused on being analytical whereas the X2HR's have more of a "fun" sound signature and would work better for things like movies, games, and some genres of music.

Edit: Also the X2HR's are supposed to have a great soundstage.

Last edited:

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, getting decent headphones changes things so much. My go-to recommendation to people who want good closed back headphones are the Beyer DT770's, they're really deceptive in how good their soundstage is for a closed back, and they really shine when you go for the high impedance models. 250 ohms is fine for my audio interface on my workstation but for my TV it definitely needs a bit more power.

I'd also say that there's a huge rabbit hole when it comes to trying to get that perfect sound and honestly I've started to take a step back from that, especially in regards to music production. Even if you get yourself a great pair of headphones, the sound will always be altered in some way that you can nitpick. The DT770's have boosted sibilance and bass, the M50x have a lot of sub bass and treble, my ol' Sony headphones lean "tinny", while modern Sony's have a somewhat "dulled" sound and I... can go on. I have used equalizer software to flatten them but as time goes on the more I'm starting to just bypass it. If you like how it sounds, if their sound profile helps you enjoy/work with sound and you find them comfortable, that's all I'm starting to really focus on nowadays.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I purchased the X2HR but I'm trying to figure out which DAC/Amp to buy. The one in the OP seems a bit too pricey. Would this be a good option instead?

Even with the volume issue on PS4/PS5 with DAC's, the 10K should enough to drive the X2's. The X2's are incredibly easy to drive so you don't need a lot of power. I was using the FiiO E17 on my PS4/5 to drive my X1's without any issue. I believe the 10K the E17 have the same amp in them. The E17 does offer gain options though and I usually used the mid-gain option which gave it that extra power. You can also find the E17 for relatively cheap on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/FiiO-E17-A...962393&hash=item3b400babfa:g:CQUAAOSwg9hdHsqa

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for the stupid question. Complete tech noob here. So I have a Sony WH-1000XM4, mostly just for listening to Spotify during my commute to and from work. If I were to use this headset with my PS5, for the best audio, would I connect it to my TV via bluetooth, or plug it directly into my Dualsense? I believe the PS5 doesn't support bluetooth headset without a dongle, so I don't think I can connect my headset directly to the PS5.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, getting decent headphones changes things so much. My go-to recommendation to people who want good closed back headphones are the Beyer DT770's, they're really deceptive in how good their soundstage is for a closed back, and they really shine when you go for the high impedance models. 250 ohms is fine for my audio interface on my workstation but for my TV it definitely needs a bit more power.

I'd also say that there's a huge rabbit hole when it comes to trying to get that perfect sound and honestly I've started to take a step back from that, especially in regards to music production. Even if you get yourself a great pair of headphones, the sound will always be altered in some way that you can nitpick. The DT770's have boosted sibilance and bass, the M50x have a lot of sub bass and treble, my ol' Sony headphones lean "tinny", while modern Sony's have a somewhat "dulled" sound and I... can go on. I have used equalizer software to flatten them but as time goes on the more I'm starting to just bypass it. If you like how it sounds, if their sound profile helps you enjoy/work with sound and you find them comfortable, that's all I'm starting to really focus on nowadays.

Yeah the 770's look really good but I've heard that about the beyer where the lower impedence sets sound 'muddy'. I was looking for a pair of headphones that would be pretty versatile, with the X2HRs being 30 ohm I can drive them with the Astro mixamp or even the PS4 controller without issue. Heck they also work great on the Switch or even my Retroid Pocket 2.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I actually got the same headphones you got OP just a couple months ago based on the recommendation of a friend.
Absolutely love them

Jirotrom

Jan 2, 2018
Ended up buying the headphones listed in OP and this...

Amazon.com: EPOS | Sennheiser GSX 1000 Gaming Audio Amplifier / External Sound Card, with 7.1 Surround Sound, Side Tone, Gaming DAC and EQ, Headphone amp Compatible with Windows, Mac, Laptops and Desktops.: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: EPOS | Sennheiser GSX 1000 Gaming Audio Amplifier / External Sound Card, with 7.1 Surround Sound, Side Tone, Gaming DAC and EQ, Headphone amp Compatible with Windows, Mac, Laptops and Desktops.: Computers & Accessories

thoughts on this mixamp?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
And here I am, thinking that an upgrade in headphones for me would be replacing my $5 Miniso headphones with a new $5 Miniso headphones that still outputs sound to both ears.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

Yeah the 770's look really good but I've heard that about the beyer where the lower impedence sets sound 'muddy'. I was looking for a pair of headphones that would be pretty versatile, with the X2HRs being 30 ohm I can drive them with the Astro mixamp or even the PS4 controller without issue. Heck they also work great on the Switch or even my Retroid Pocket 2.
Although I already have a MMX300 (32 Ohm) which is supposed to be nearly identical to the 770, I just got a pair of 80 Ohm 770 and 250 Ohm 990.

The 770 sound much worse than the MMX and the 990. Maybe it's due to the difference in impedence, I don't know, but I'm going to return them. The MMX has way! more oomph and better sound overall, and so do the 990.

Would be interesting to listen to the 32 and 250 Ohm 770.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Even with the volume issue on PS4/PS5 with DAC's, the 10K should enough to drive the X2's. The X2's are incredibly easy to drive so you don't need a lot of power. I was using the FiiO E17 on my PS4/5 to drive my X1's without any issue. I believe the 10K the E17 have the same amp in them. The E17 does offer gain options though and I usually used the mid-gain option which gave it that extra power. You can also find the E17 for relatively cheap on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/FiiO-E17-A...962393&hash=item3b400babfa:g:CQUAAOSwg9hdHsqa
Would this also work with PC and Switch?

Also follow up - do I even need a DAC/Amp? Everything I'm reading online indicates these headphones are easy to drive, so I'm thinking maybe I don't even need a DAC/Amp?

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

I haven't tried the 16 or 32 ohm versions, but the 80 ohm version definitely isn't muddy. I used to use it with a mixamp and was happy with it.

Moksha

Jan 29, 2019
I had a slightly smaller budget than OP, but I also went with Phillips.

The SHP9500 which retails for around ÂŁ150, but can be picked up on pretty significant discounts sometimes. I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for something a little cheaper.
I also combined them with the V-Moda BoomPro mic, which so far has been excellent. Lot's of good feedback on the clarity and isolation of my voice. The headphones are open-backed but so far no one has commented on the mic picking up leaking audio.

I basically picked up what was recommended in this video, which is a good watch if you're interested in the headphones.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017

thoughts on this mixamp?

Prior to getting my Audeze Mobius the GSX 1000 was my gold standard for virtual 7.1. I did end up returning it though after getting the Mobius.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

thoughts on this mixamp?

I use the GSX1000 on PC paired with the Senn HD58XX headphones. It's brilliant and the 7.1 mode is incredible. I was skeptical, but the moment I tried it and toggled It on and off was downright magical. Pushes the soundstage so far out and gives it life.

I have not tried it on console however.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

thoughts on this mixamp?
IMO, this is overpriced and the SoundBlaster one is a better deal. Or that Turtle Beach mixamp.

Separately thanks to this thread I got a pair of Philips X2HR, a pair of Beyerdynamics DT 990 Edition 600 Ohm and a pair of Byerdynamics DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm on the way. Read that you don't want to go for 80 or 32 Ohm Beyerdynamics on DT 990 series as they are a bit muddled? Not sure.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD6xx I am going to be comparing to. After going open air with those, I can't go back to fully closed headphones for comfort if I can help it! Going to be running these off a newly arrived Schiit stack (Modi 3+ / Magni Heresy). I am going to send 2 / 3 above back though :P.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't tried the 16 or 32 ohm versions, but the 80 ohm version definitely isn't muddy. I used to use it with a mixamp and was happy with it.

I'm really just saying what I see in the amazon reviews since I haven't tried them yet. But even 80 ohm is too high to drive with mobile devices like the Switch and whatnot. Not to say that it's not worthwhile for a certain type of setup, with the right DAC. But I do like the flexibility on the X2s.

thoughts on this mixamp?

Looks fine but as all the bells and whistles only work on PC (the 7.1 vritual surround sound especially) I would stay clear personally as I wanted something more versatile than that. The turtle beach one will work with PC, XBOX, PS4 and PS5 (with USB audio it seems that the Elite Pro works on PS5 but you lose the chat balance feature, which honestly, is fine if you use party chat as you can adjust the party chat volume on the PS4/PS5 system).

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I'm really just saying what I see in the amazon reviews since I haven't tried them yet. But even 80 ohm is too high to drive with mobile devices like the Switch and whatnot. Not to say that it's not worthwhile for a certain type of setup, with the right DAC. But I do like the flexibility on the X2s.
You could drive 80 ohm with a portable battery based headphone DAC like FiiO Q1.

There are other similar ones on the market as well. That said, yeah, if you are looking to drive your headphones natively, 80 ohm or higher would be too much.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
You could drive 80 ohm with a portable battery based headphone DAC like FiiO Q1.

There are other similar ones on the market as well. That said, yeah, if you are looking to drive your headphones natively, 80 ohm or higher would be too much.

Yeah that's always an option.

In general for a home console setup I'm fine with using a DAC, the benefits are worthwhile, but I think for Switch and mobile use, it's a hassle carrying that type of thing around.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Oh no, I have the Penrose for PS5 on pre-order, are they not any good? I am curious about the planar tech.

They're fine as far as gaming headsets go. But they're not any better than what you can get from Astro or Steelseries already. At least, to my ears.

They use the same drivers as the mobius, which you can see analysed in detail here:

www.rtings.com

Audeze Mobius Review

The Audeze Mobius are good gaming headphones with a few unique features that set them apart from the competition. They have a lot of connection options and a cas...

Also you can read about users with these headphones here. Impressions seem mixed:

www.head-fi.org

Audeze Penrose X and Penrose

I found the 3d Audio on the PS Pulse to sound hollow tbh compared to my wired headsets via the controller. Perhaps we can tweak the eq in the app to get the sound more to our liking?

The SHP9500 which retails for around ÂŁ150, but can be picked up on pretty significant discounts sometimes. I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for something a little cheaper.
I also combined them with the V-Moda BoomPro mic, which so far has been excellent. Lot's of good feedback on the clarity and isolation of my voice. The headphones are open-backed but so far no one has commented on the mic picking up leaking audio.

I basically picked up what was recommended in this video, which is a good watch if you're interested in the headphones.

Are you using them with a DAC? I find that on my PS4 controller, without using the DAC (Astro mixamp) they're not too loud. Loud enough to enjoy, but a bit quieter than I like to play typically. That might be a factor, as I don't think they're able to leak into the mic at lower volumes.

Mine do leak into the mic, but only if I don't set any sensitivity on the the mic on the PS4. Once I set the sensitivity up they work great without leak. Worth noting that the mic itself is a bit more sensitive than the one on the Astros and Steelseries too, as it picks up my TV if the TV is too loud, whereas the other two did not. But mic quality on the whole is improved, so it's worth the compromise.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah that's always an option.

In general for a home console setup I'm fine with using a DAC, the benefits are worthwhile, but I think for Switch and mobile use, it's a hassle carrying that type of thing around.

For that use, I'd really just get a bluetooth receiver for the switch and use decent bluetooth headphones for both Switch or a phone. It's not worth messing with the cords on the go, IMO. That's exactly what I do actually. I also wouldn't use open air headphones when on the go either :P.

I mean if you are in a situation where you are stationary when there isn't a lot of noise like a library, study hall or something like that then its a different deal, but otherwise, it's too noisy anyways and a pair of decent headset with ANC is a better bet anyways.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
For that use, I'd really just get a bluetooth receiver for the switch and use decent bluetooth headphones for both Switch or a phone. It's not worth messing with the cords on the go, IMO. That's exactly what I do actually. I also wouldn't use open air headphones when on the go either :P.

I mean if you are in a situation where you are stationary when there isn't a lot of noise like a library, study hall or something like that then its a different deal, but otherwise, it's too noisy anyways and a pair of decent headset with ANC is a better bet anyways.

That's a good option too.

Though with the lockdown I'm not really going anywhere with my switch. I just play it in different spots around the house. I say would, because my switch is actually broken. Girlfriend somehow put the sofa ONTOP OF the switch, destroying the screen. :)

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
That's a good option too.

Though with the lockdown I'm not really going anywhere with my switch. I just play it in different spots around the house. I say would, because my switch is actually broken. Girlfriend somehow put the sofa ONTOP OF the switch, destroying the screen. :)
Dock it? :P But damn, I feel the pain. Accidentally cracked the back and the camera of my phone I do retro gaming with and I am super annoyed at that. Thankfully front screen is ok.

But yeah, with lockdown I ain't doing much so hooking up Switch to dac/amp isn't a big deal either. That said, I still just use the bluetooth and Sony ANC headset pair.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Dock it? :P But damn, I feel the pain. Accidentally cracked the back and the camera of my phone I do retro gaming with and I am super annoyed at that. Thankfully front screen is ok.

But yeah, with lockdown I ain't doing much so hooking up Switch to dac/amp isn't a big deal either. That said, I still just use the bluetooth and Sony ANC headset pair.

It's a switch lite.

RIP.

Allegedly I can get it repaired for ÂŁ100. Half the cost, not too bad, but I'm waiting for a Switch Pro or something.

The Sony headset sounds good, I was thinking of getting a pair of Sony MX1000M4 at some point as I continually hear great things.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
It's a switch lite.

RIP.

Allegedly I can get it repaired for ÂŁ100. Half the cost, not too bad, but I'm waiting for a Switch Pro or something.

The Sony headset sounds good, I was thinking of getting a pair of Sony MX1000M4 at some point as I continually hear great things.
Yep, I have MX1000M2 and it's very very good. XM3 and XM4 are even better. Bose is close as well.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm super happy with my Sennheiser 58X's though and I'm hoping the X2HR's that I ordered earlier today will be a nice complimentary piece for those times I want open-back with a little extra bass.

That's fair, I have a pair of Fidelio X2's and they are my go to "action movie" headphones, you made an excellent choice.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
To those of you in the know, would you say the Fidelio X2HR are better than the Senheiser HD598s I have? I like them well enough but they're kind of... unremarkable, I guess. They sound great but maybe lack in bass. I'm by no means an audiophile or anything. Would the X2HR sound significantly better? I may consider making myself a Christmas gift if that's the case...

A further question, I have a Fiio E10K DAC hooked up to my PC. Would changing it with something else make much of a difference quality-wise? And if so, what would be a recommended alternative? Thanks!

Moksha

Jan 29, 2019
Are you using them with a DAC? I find that on my PS4 controller, without using the DAC (Astro mixamp) they're not too loud. Loud enough to enjoy, but a bit quieter than I like to play typically. That might be a factor, as I don't think they're able to leak into the mic at lower volumes.

Mine do leak into the mic, but only if I don't set any sensitivity on the the mic on the PS4. Once I set the sensitivity up they work great without leak. Worth noting that the mic itself is a bit more sensitive than the one on the Astros and Steelseries too, as it picks up my TV if the TV is too loud, whereas the other two did not. But mic quality on the whole is improved, so it's worth the compromise.

I'm also on PS4, but I'm not using a DAC. I'm a novice with this kind of stuff really, so I wasn't really aware of the benefits until reading through the thread. They're loud enough for me, I guess I did adjust the volume up through the system's settings slightly. I presume that the controller might not have the power to output the sound sufficiently? Am I really missing out by not using a DAC? They already sound great to me.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Would this also work with PC and Switch?

Also follow up - do I even need a DAC/Amp? Everything I'm reading online indicates these headphones are easy to drive, so I'm thinking maybe I don't even need a DAC/Amp?
Yea, it will work on PC through USB and through the aux port for the Switch. They'll sounds a lot better with an amp. Especially compared to the output from the PS4/PS5 controller. You can always try them without the amp and see how they sound to you, before making any decisions.

To those of you in the know, would you say the Fidelio X2HR are better than the Senheiser HD598s I have? I like them well enough but they're kind of... unremarkable, I guess. They sound great but maybe lack in bass. I'm by no means an audiophile or anything. Would the X2HR sound significantly better? I may consider making myself a Christmas gift if that's the case...

A further question, I have a Fiio E10K DAC hooked up to my PC. Would changing it with something else make much of a difference quality-wise? And if so, what would be a recommended alternative? Thanks!
The X2's and the HD598 are very different so one is not necessarily better than the other. The 598's are a more neutral headphone that doesn't emphasize any sound over the other. They'll have more details and clarity in the mid-range/vocals. The X2's emphasize bass and treble and the mids are more recessed and won't feel as close to your ears and they won't have as much detail. They'll also have a much bigger sound stage compared to the 598's. If you like a more neutral sounding headphone with more clarity, stick with the 598's. If you want a headphone that sounds bigger has a lot more 'oomph' in its bass, go with the X2's.

Random_Guy

Nov 1, 2017
I had picked up the pulse 3d headset for PS5 but wasn't really happy with them. After years of open back headphone use (HD598), closed back just feels too claustrophobic. Returning them and got the PC 38X to replace them. Have had them only for a couple days, but far better than the pulse. Not as good as the HD598 for music, but I think the PC38X are better are for games.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, I have the Penrose for PS5 on pre-order, are they not any good? I am curious about the planar tech.

It's a fantastic sounding headset, I have it myself and at first listen I could tell the immediate improvement to basically any other all-in-one headset I've owned/tried.

Here's a review from an audiophile from head-fi, while using the new firmware (which releases to everyone else sometime this week). He even compares it to Audeze's previous headset the Mobius as they're similar but not identical.

The headset is brand new, the X version isn't even released yet, so it has some early quirks to it but Audeze has been fast to address them already, fixing some of our biggest complaints with it with this week's upcoming firmware. I'm actually in contact with Audeze myself to get the firmware early probably today, if you have any questions about it feel free to ask!

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe my ears just suck, but the Wireless Gold's that I've been using on my PS5 has sounded good? (playing God of War and Astro mainly)

I'm still looking for the best solution that can be used for PC/PS5. I would also like the flexibility or something that can be wireless, but has a 3.5mm port as well and good mic quality. Anything thing that fits this bill?

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I am not sure if I should buy a G6 or a FiiO K3 as a DAC/Amp for my phones (X2 and DT770 Pro 80 Ohm). I mostly play games and watch movies with them (ratio probably 90:10 so mostly gaming).

I don't really care for the VSS, Scout Mode or mic features of the G6 (since I don't use VSS or a mic) and it's a bit more expensive than the K3. Any recommendations? I would use them with optical input.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

I'm considering this for PC (or the headphones OP posted) as I don't think wireless is important for when using. For PS5 when I'm not using my speakers, I've been just using Wireless Golds, which I've been fine with. They're actually getting more use because I no longer have the issue of audio randomly cutting out like it did with my PS4 Pro. I'm assuming that the SPH9500 would be a big improvement from a sound quality perspective.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
It's a fantastic sounding headset, I have it myself and at first listen I could tell the immediate improvement to basically any other all-in-one headset I've owned/tried.

Here's a review from an audiophile from head-fi, while using the new firmware (which releases to everyone else sometime this week). He even compares it to Audeze's previous headset the Mobius as they're similar but not identical.

The headset is brand new, the X version isn't even released yet, so it has some early quirks to it but Audeze has been fast to address them already, fixing some of our biggest complaints with it with this week's upcoming firmware. I'm actually in contact with Audeze myself to get the firmware early probably today, if you have any questions about it feel free to ask!
I see, thank you! I have it on pre-order from a UK shop and there seem to be some stock problems. They should have launched late November, but now it just says December. Hoping they get delivered before 2021, otherwise I have to pay import duties due to Brexit I think.

Jirotrom

Jan 2, 2018

Looks fine but as all the bells and whistles only work on PC (the 7.1 vritual surround sound especially) I would stay clear personally as I wanted something more versatile than that. The turtle beach one will work with PC, XBOX, PS4 and PS5 (with USB audio it seems that the Elite Pro works on PS5 but you lose the chat balance feature, which honestly, is fine if you use party chat as you can adjust the party chat volume on the PS4/PS5 system).
Damnit, I'll buy the turtle beach one then, didn't realize it was pc only

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to pop in here and say that I've been testing out my Phillips Fidelio X2HR's all morning after burning them in yesterday and I'm very happy with them so far. Super comfortable, nice bass for open back headphones, and they feel super well built as well. I'll definitely be keeping them to go along with my Sony MDR-1AM2 closed back headphones and my Sennheiser HD58X's since they all fill different niches and I feel like my collection covers pretty much every use case I have now.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I've done some more research and it looks like if I want the best experience for both PC and PS5 this seems to be a great winning combination:

Phillips Fedelio X2HR + V-Moda Boom Pro.

Any thoughts? I really wanted a wireless solution, but looks like the audio experience and comfort would be top tier to the point that I wouldn't care. Besides, if I really do need wireless for certain situations, I still have my Golds.

On PS5 I'm planning on playing a lot of single player focused games. On PC, I'm most likely going to be playing FPS, TPS, and RTS games.

I also own:

Audiotechnica M-50s (permanent spot on head phone anchor under my desk. They have been my main cans for music/gaming for the time being)
Sony WH-1000MX2 (main use when traveling or when needing block out sound when home)
Samsung Galaxy Buds Plus (main headphones when commuting in the city/taking calls/running errands - my go to's).