• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
So how much do they "leak" if I plug a microphone in to these?
For instance if I play and talk with my friends on Discord or wherever.

They look super comfortable and I was on my way to upgrade anyway from my Hyper Cloud to something anyway.. this might be the way forward.

Pegasos123

Oct 28, 2017
Outside of like, the actual hardware that plays the games (like transitioning from PS3 to PS4) my recent change in audio setup has been the most noticable change in my hardware that I've used to play games, in the past 10 or so years.

I tend to spend a lot of money on gaming tech. In terms of headphones, over the course of this generation I've bought or borrowed the following:

Hyper X Cloud IIs (probably my favourite wired closed back of the gaming headphones)
Steel Series Arctis Pro with Game Dac
Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless
Penrose X (more expensive than, and worse than Arctis Pro)
Astro A40 with mixamp
Astro A50 with wireless base station (my favourite of this lot, though by a fairly small margin)
Playstation Gold / Platinum and Pulse (these are the worst by a mile)

Of these I generally prefer the Arctis Pros or A50s, but after some time I felt like they were missing something. While these headphones offer on the whole, adequate sound reproduction, what they all do really poorly is their soundstage, they all sound narrow, as if the sound is all squashed together and because of this I find that you miss a lot of detail. Everything sounds muddy, blurred together.

So, I fancied trying something new. Posted on here about how I felt about my headphones and a user recommended the Philips Fidelio X2HRs. I looked into some reviews and they looked great, so I picked up a pair for £150.

Also note that I know that this setup isn't unique or unheard of, but I think a lot of folks aren't aware of the difference you can get from a good pair of non-gaming headphones, so I wanted post about my experience.

These are the Philips Fidelo X2HRs, recommended by ERA user dralla. These were £140 on amazon.

fidelio-x2hr-design-medium.jpg

These headphones don't have a mic, so I'm pairing them with the v-moda boom pro. £30 on amazon.

preview.jpg

and they're driven by the Astro Mixamp to provide split control of game and chat audio, as well as simulated 7.1 surround sound. I got this ages ago with the Astro A40s, but it's £140 on amazon now. There might be better DACs for PS4, but I couldn't find any others that split the chat audio, and the EPOS gaming DACs aren't fully featured on the PS4, so the Astro still seemed like a strong option. These won't do justice to headphones that require higher impedence (like the beyerdynamic 80 or 150 ohm), but the impedence on the X2HRs is actually 30, so this is a perfect fit.

71O6iAUuB7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

With this setup, I immediately noticed a whole host of improvements that I wasn't getting out any of the existing gaming brands. This is despite all of those headsets having pretty good reviews.
  • The soundstage is so, so much better. It more closely resembles the audio experience that you would get from being present in the game-world, with the sound emerging from the sources around you. In the other headphones, it really just feels like all the sound is just playing in your ears. It feels artificial by comparison.
  • The mic quality is considerably better. At first I was concerned that because these are an open back pair of headphones, the audio would leak into the mic, but I was able to tune the sensitivity of the PS4 mic (in the PS4 settings) so that this isn't happening. My friends say the sound is better, more personal, closer to my real voice.
  • I think that one of the issues with non-gaming headphones is that they often lack bass, favouring a more neutral sound. But this isn't true with the X2HRs, the base reproduction on par with any of the gaming headphones, but at the same time this is paired with clear treble and mids, giving you all the detail without missing out on the punch that gaming scenarios often provide through explosions and whatnot.
  • The audio clarity and separation is much improved. Individually everything sounds clearer and more pronounced, and because of the sound stage it doesn't feel like everything is overlapping. I can pick out footsteps happening alongside an explosion, even when they're co-orring in the same direction. On Wipeout 2048 I could hear the engines of the ships flying along side me, and I was genuinly picking up sounds that I'd never heard before in the game.
I'm going back to loads of my older games and replaying parts of them to see all the detail I was missing before. It's a really lovely experience.

I had my girlfriend listen to a few games and compare the Fidelio's with some of the gaming brands, and her shorthand assessment was 'they just sound worse in comparison, like all around worse'. She's not an audiophile (and neither am I) so she doesn't have the vocabulary to describe the difference but her general sentiment was that she preferred the X2s by a mile. For me the difference is more noticable than any recent upgrade with my equipment that I've experienced.

The only downside to this setup is that because they are open back, they leak audio into the room. So if you share a space with someone then they're going to hear what you're playing (at a reduced volume, but still they'll hear it). When I'm playing sound at 100db my girlfriend probably hears it at around 20 db when she sits 6 feet away on the sofa. This is the same experience that you get out of something like the Astro A40s/A50s, but much louder than closed cans like the X Cloud II's or Arctis Pro's. That aside though, I don't think there's any reason I'd ever go back, everything is just miles better.

Just thought I'd make a thread about this since I see a lot of folks considering audio setup upgrades with next gen and whatnot, but truthfully, you can get a much better audio experience if you steer clear of the typical gaming brands. Of course, devices like the Pulse Wireless are quite cheap and wireless, which comes with its benefits too.

I have the Philips Fidelio X2 ... are they any different from the Philips Fidelio X2HRs?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The Fidelio X2HR are an excellent choice, very good value right now - so it's a great recommendation.
Checking the Philips site, for my location at least, seems to indicate that they've been discontinued now - so I wouldn't hesitate if you want a good deal on some very nice open-back headphones for gaming, movies, or music, before they disappear.
The X3 are more than double the price and are not even rated as highly - especially for gaming. Unfortunately with headphones, successors are not always a clear improvement on the older model. There are a handful of models over the years that I've regretted passing on, now that I can no longer get them.

So, would you recommend me to get a DAC/AMP and a V-Moda mic in addition to the Sony XM3 headphones I already own instead of a new dedicated headset?
I would generally not recommend it. Being Active Noise Cancelling headphones, they have their own Amp/DAC built-in.
Of course you can only use the DAC when wireless, since there's no digital input. I wish they did support a 3.5mm optical connection though.
The amplifier is used at all times when they are switched on - and you should try to avoid double-amping by connecting an amplified source to another amplifier.

That being said, it may still be your best option for the sake of convenience.
In theory, a line-level output; e.g. using an RCA to 3.5mm cable, should be preferable for ANC headphones since they are already amplified.
In practice, my television is a double-insulated (two prong) device with no earth connection - so connecting my ANC headphones (Bose QC20/QC35-II) to its line-out results in a very loud ground-loop (50Hz/60Hz hum) when the headphones are switched on.

When I connect the headphones to my grounded headphone DAC/Amp, this flips around.
The RCA line-out from the DAC is very quiet - though there is still a faint hum if I'm listening for it when nothing is playing, while the headphone output has a less-subtle hum which only disappears if I hold onto the metal connector of the 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter I'm using. Both are much quieter than using the TV's line-out though.

The ANC headphones are only actually silent when being used wirelessly, connected to a portable device, or switched off. But switching them off disables the DSP so the frequency response is much worse.
I could be mistaken, but I don't recall this being an issue with the older Bose QC25, which could only be used wired. That might indicate these newer designs are not really intended to be used wired to home devices these days, even though it's an option.

Note: this is not fixed by using a typical inexpensive 3.5mm hum/ground loop isolator.
Grounding/isolation does not behave intuitively and you can't simply fix issues like these by isolating all connections. Adding an isolator can often make it much worse.

I'm really happy with my XM3 for general use though and I've actually been using them wired to the DS4 and Dualsense much more now than my headset. I know I'm probably not getting close to the maximum out of these headphones this way but it honestly sounds a lot better on PS5 now than it did on PS4 and I'm ok with that quality. It even sounds better like this than my Arctis do.
The best thing you could do for audio quality would be to avoid sending the audio through a wireless controller.
I would start by trying your TV's headphone output connected to the included 3.5mm cable. Unfortunately that means no Tempest audio with the PS5 right now though, since it's not supported over HDMI.

Ultimately the most convenient option that works well may be a DAC/Amp, but I wouldn't recommend spending a lot for ANC headphones. There's no great way to set things up right now.
Hopefully Sony will enable 3D Audio (for headphones) over HDMI via an update soon, as that would greatly simplify the setup for headphones if you intend on using them with all sources and not just the PS5.

Thankfully the Dualsense drives the headset well enough unlike the DS4 so I haven't bought an amp.
Please note that playing loud is not the same thing as being driven well.
Just about anything can play lower impedance headphones loud (≤75 ohms).
But low impedance headphones require a current-based amplifier to be driven well.

Additionally, even though AV Receivers can typically drive most headphones loud - even high impedance ones - they generally have very low quality headphone outputs.
The output impedance is generally very high, as they use a low-cost circuit to step down the amplifier output.
You would get much better quality by connecting a dedicated headphone amplifier (very low output impedance) to the AVR's pre-out connection. There should be no need for a DAC.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I already have Cloud IIs on the way but after seeing all the praise the X2HRs get I just placed an order for them on Amazon, I am an impulse buyer I guess! But I love goooooood sound. I suppose I can use the mic from the Clouds on the X2HRs so no need to buy another one.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So how much do they "leak" if I plug a microphone in to these?
For instance if I play and talk with my friends on Discord or wherever.

They look super comfortable and I was on my way to upgrade anyway from my Hyper Cloud to something anyway.. this might be the way forward.

So I was surprised but it isn't leaking into the v-moda mic for me, even when my sound is all maxed out in the headset. I had to set the sensitivity of the mic quite low so that it only pics up my voice, but other than that it's working fine. Discord also has some better noise cancelling tech than the PS4 parties, so while I've not used it with discord, it works fine on PS4 and should be even better on discord with RTX voice or discords own noise cancelling software.

Curious how these work on ps5/xsx

If you have an optical throughput in your TV, it should be the same experience. Otherwise it's a bit of a faff unfortunately. You either need to split the HDMI and cover it to optical, but then you lose HDMI 2.1 features because there are no 2.1 splitters at the minute. Or, you could skip the mixamp and just plug them into your controller.

Not too bad of a compromise for the time being though I think. Since with 2.0 you can still get 120 fps at 1080p, or 40k/60, you just miss out on 4k at 120fps, which is a shame but I doubt many games will support that output anyway. We should see some 2.1 adaptors soon. At the minute the easiest one to use is probably the one Astro themselves are selling.

HDMI to Optical Adapter - Playstation 5 | Logitech G

Shop HDMI Adapter for Playstation 5. Enables full game voice balance on ASTRO Gaming devices that require an optical port. HDMI to Optical Adapter

Somewhat related, but if Astro release a PS5 compatible C40 controller I might buy that at some point, because a little known fact is that the controller itself features a built in DAC. When I was playing stuff on PS4 the audio quality from the C40 was infinitely better than from the regular PS4 controllers.

I have the Philips Fidelio X2 ... are they any different from the Philips Fidelio X2HRs?

Small differences in comfort. The earpads are more 'padded' on the HR, and there's something different about the headband too.

Also, there are some minor cosmetic differences.

No differences in audio. Essentially the same pair of headphones.

Supposedly they also fix some build quality issues with the X2, related to how the earpads are glued on and such. But I don't know much about that and if you haven't noticed it it's probably a non-issue.

Wow, I already have Cloud IIs on the way but after seeing all the praise the X2HRs get I just placed an order for them on Amazon, I am an impulse buyer I guess! But I love goooooood sound. I suppose I can use the mic from the Clouds on the X2HRs so no need to buy another one.

I don't think the cable on the cloud II's is removable? If not you would need the v-moda mod mic or similar alternative, the cloud 2 mic wouldn't work because it doesn't give you both audio and mic within a single cable, I think they are separate?

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got any opinions on Logitech G Pro X (second gen)? Someone gifted me for them for Christmas but said I could just swap them back if needed for something else. I believe they're good for virtual surround sound and I'll use them primarily for PC (I have Sennheisers for PlayStation which I'll prob continue to use as the virtual surround sound only works on PC).

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's amazing how many people spend thousands on TVs, monitors and graphics cards and then pair it with built in speakers or an extremely mediocre to poor gaming headset.

Audio is 50% of the experience.

Vega

Oct 28, 2017
Bought a Philips SHP9500 for my PS5 and OMG. First time on my life trying proper headphones and it's totally a game changer. They have a quite low impedance, so Dualsense drives them more than ok. Missing the speaker+haptics combo though :(

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
Word op. I've got around $2200 wrapped up in my headphones/amp/DAC for my pc and it's been worth every penny.

playing something like Skyrim with really good sound is incredible.

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Really interested in a pair of X2HRs as they are 50% off at a local shop. Question for the OP though, how would you rate them compared to the Astro A40? I have a bunch of headphones at the moment (Astro A40, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Arctis Pro with GameDAC and HyperX Cloud II), and I actually think the soundstage on the A40 is pretty good. I have never used a pair of open-back headphones though, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use headphones often for gaming but a good set, plus vmoda boom mic is the way to go for sure

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also interested in new good headphones to go with my new TV and gaming setup, but I'm not sure how I would get them to work with my PS5, Apple TV 4K and gaming PC. Currently I'm using the Beats Studios via Bluetooth on my ATV4K and via the jack on Xbox/DualSense controller respectively. It's comfy and it works just fine, but audiophiles ITT are probably fuming reading this and I imagine it would be dumb to upgrade to better headphones if I continue using them that way. However I have no clue how I would use them properly. Like, I really don't. Something involving HDMI? Or over my TV (LG CX)? Cable management is another concern.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Could you or anyone compare these two? I am planning to buy one of these but I am torn between the two. The wireless would be more convenient but if the audio quality is much worse then I would stick with the cable one.

I haven't tried these side by side but from memory they sound and feel, roughly the same.

Personally I would stay away from steel series for two reasons:

1) The overall quality, and particularly the sound stage is not great at all. It was using the steel series pro wired setup that encouraged me to find something new, as I was continually disappointed with the sound. I find the Hyper X Cloud IIs are easily better if you want a closed pair, and the Astro A50's too. The only reason I hadn't been using the X Cloud II's lately was because I left them in my office and my office is locked down. The mic quality is also not as good as the X Cloud II's.
2) They really force you into their ecosystem. You can't the DAC with anything else because Steel Series use some weird proprietary cables.

I think if you're in this position where you're looking to spend £200-300 on an audio setup your best bet is either

a) Follow my setup in the OP, it's a lot better than the wired steel series and doesn't lock you into their ecosystem.
b) Get the Astro A50's instead, if you look here you can see they have a considerably better sound profile than the Arctis Pro Wireless

In general I don't know where all of the recent Steel Series praise has came from. I think they're really disappointing for the price point.

Liquaron

Nov 14, 2020
I use the AKG 712 Pro with the Topping NX4 amplifier on my PS5 & Series X. It's just magic!

I also tried the Pulse 3D and the 7x. They had no chance. The difference was night and day.

windupcrow

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
I like the sound of the Fidelio, but unfortunately they are too heavy/uncomfortable for me. I recommend the AKG 712 as alternative.

I have a pair of K712s and my concern for them with gaming is that they are very picky with their amplification, and they aren't the most dynamic or exciting listen. The Fidelio X2s have quite a bit of punch.

I would take the K712s for more of a mix of music, movies and games though.

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
I fell down a headphone rabbit hole myself earlier this year. Ended up getting a pair of X2s and a cheap FiiO E07k DAC that sound great together. Listening to music, I've heard things I've never noticed in old favorite song before.

I've used the two together once or twice on my PS5 through the controller port when my wireless cans died. Sounded good, but I'm sure that's not the best way to use them. How do you have everything set up? I imagine the DAC/AMP is close by for volume control, but now does that all come together sitting on a couch 10 feet away from the TV?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I just got the x2s last week and they are worth it just for comfortability alone. I could wear them for hours. As far as sound goes, I agree, the clarity upgrade over my cheap gaming headset was huge. I hope they last me a long time because they are amazing.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I fell down a headphone rabbit hole myself earlier this year. Ended up getting a pair of X2s and a cheap FiiO E07k DAC that sound great together. Listening to music, I've heard things I've never noticed in old favorite song before.

I've used the two together once or twice on my PS5 through the controller port when my wireless cans died. Sounded good, but I'm sure that's not the best way to use them. How do you have everything set up? I imagine the DAC/AMP is close by for volume control, but now does that all come together sitting on a couch 10 feet away from the TV?

I play like 3 feet from my monitor, so that's a big factor for me.

Otherwise I could see it being a pain. Personally I don't keep my PS4 next to the monitor I play on, I keep it next to our router at the side of my sofa. So in your case what I would probably do is hook the PS5 up next to wherever I'm sitting then just run a single HDMI cable to the TV. But it depends on the individual setup of your living room as to what's possible.

At first glance it has great but I have no idea what the audio is like coming out of it as I've not tried it.

Last edited:

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Should I bother with a DAC if I can plug directly into my receiver?

Also, I currently use a Phillips SHP9500 / vmoda combo that I plug directly into controllers. I sit about 10 ft from my media center. Tbh, I'm kinda over cables and I've been looking for high quality wireless headphones (open or closed back)

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I have this and haven't moved it to my ps5 yet but I wonder if I'm better switching it from its virtual surround to just really good stereo what do you use?

So I'm using the Astro Mixamp Tr which is the same thing, and on the Astro's it has a button that enables or disabled virtual surround sound.

So I'm getting virtual surround sound pumped into my Fidelio 2Xhrs, and in general I think it sounds really good. I tested this on Apex Legends recently by placing a thermite grenade down and turning the camera and it would very accurately indicate which direction the sound was coming from. Much more so than from Stereo.

But sometimes I find that the virtual surround sound dullens some of the sound. So in something like say, Wipeout 2048 where I don't need virtual surround sound, or Tetris Effect, I'm switching back to stereo for those.

If I remember correctly you can't plug any headphones into the Arctis game dac, so I would say you could do the same thing there but I don't think so.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Should I bother with a DAC if I can plug directly into my receiver?

Also, I currently use a Phillips SHP9500 / vmoda combo that I plug directly into controllers. I sit about 10 ft from my media center. Tbh, I'm kinda over cables and I've been looking for high quality wireless headphones (open or closed back)
Probably not. I don't think you'd see a meaningful improvement from a dedicated headphone DAC/AMP unless you're spending some serious cash. Even though AVR receivers are designed to drive speakers, they mostly do a good job with headphones too. At least in my experience.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
I currently have HD558s, and they were an incredible buy. However I'm thinking of upgrading to a new pair. I was thinking of HD599s, but I'm not certain. Anybody have any recommendations?

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
It's amazing how many people spend thousands on TVs, monitors and graphics cards and then pair it with built in speakers or an extremely mediocre to poor gaming headset.

Audio is 50% of the experience.
but shit is frustratingly confusing :( i don't understand anything about audio tech, i literally have speakers from my family's very first PC from '95 or something hooked up to my current PC, and they've been kinda broken since day 1 lol.

i've just been listening to gaming audio from my TV the past decades as well, mostly. i have some Sony BT headphones for PS4 that i rarely use, but they do sound quite nice, battery life is dreadful though.

if i want to get good audio from PS5 when i finally get one, what the hell do i buy? what are good speakers for a new 4K tv if i get one of those too? and good headphones with all the Tempest and whatever support features needed?

it feels really daunting for such a luddite like me.. i feel like an idiot and too old just reading about this stuff. then there's the VR stuff to figure out too, new headphones have to work with PSVR as well..

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Still see no reason to upgrade my Audeze Mobius right now. Planar magnetic headphones at a budget price. The quality is phenomenal.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I went down this rabbit hole a few years back with the original fidelio x2s cuz I wanted to see what openback headphones sounded like. As far as I know most gaming catered headsets are closed.

The sound was nice but the setup if you wanted a mic and amp ended up being the deal breaker for me. I didn't like having all the cables about in my living room setup. Ended up going back to wireless to avoid the clutter. I have an a50 gen 3 what sounds good enough for me. Are the pulse 3ds that bad? Was thinking of ditching the a50s cuz I can't seem to get the chat and audio mix to my liking and didn't want to pay $40 for a dumb hdmi adapter.

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
Currently have a pair of Phillips SPH9500's that I had got a few years ago on sale for $60. Needed to get used to them being open-back, but they feel SO much better than the last few pairs of headphones I had used (mainly some Logitech something-or-anothers, and PlayStation Pulse Elites). Went with just the headphones, without an external dac/amp, until just recently, when I wanted to use them on my PS5 without needing to shuffle wires around. Added in a SoundBlasterX G6 (plus an audio mixer), and they sound better than they ever have before. Was toying around with maybe getting something else (and the X2HR's seem sweet), but not sure if the actual difference in sound quality would be worth the price, especially as the SPH9500's are still going strong. I did have to replace the ear pads a few months ago, as the stock ones eventually fell apart, but I order some cheap but decent pleather/velour pads with memory foam inserts, and they feel amazing all over again.

Currently also have a separate condenser mic, but it's kind of annoying, and is a low end one, so doesn't sound that great anyways. I've almost pulled the trigger on the V-Moda a few times, but every time I do, I catch a review saying they didn't last long, which always scares me off. Also, with the way I've got the dac and mixer set up now, not sure exactly what I'd need to do to get the mic to work correctly. Seems like I'd need another mixer to split the mic off, but whatever, probably not worth it at this point.

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
I had headphone fomo like a lot of you. Got a bunch of ~$100 "best bang for bucks" headphones thru the years (Sennheiser, audio technica, beyerdynamic, etc.) Then I got a pair of $450 b&o for $130 and it's just way way way better than sub $150 class headphones I've tried. Knocked the fomo right out of me. I got lucky with the b&o sales but I wound definitely spend big money on one pair instead of getting 3 "good" ones and keep wondering.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's that a got a few years ago for a good price, paired with an Audioengine D1 DAC. I like them, but I find the bass pretty lacking most of the time. I don't really know a ton about headphones, but anyone have any recommendations on if I wanted to upgrade? I mostly use them for gaming and occasionally music. Willing to spend a few hundred if the upgrade is worth it.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Would the X2HRs still make sense if your only option is to plug them straight to the DualSense? I understand the DAC inside the DualSense is a bit better than that of the DS4.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised by your Audeze Penrose comment, I have Penrose and they shit on anything I've tried from Steelseries. Like it's not even close. I've never noped out of a headset as fast as I did with a Steelseries Arctis. They went back into the box minutes later lol.

In fact, Penrose sound better than my Sennheiser HD598's. The soundstage on Penrose surprised me because it's a closed set, but its much wider than I expected it to be. In stereo they're not as wide as my open back Sennheisers, but they're good enough. And when paired with any kind of 3D audio like Atmos or DTS X Headphones (or PS5's Tempest) the sound stage is more than enough and I can pin point things with ease.

These things bring out detail better than any other headset I've tried, and more than my Sennheiser's + Modmic combo. These are easily now my daily drivers. What puts this above everything else Ive tried is the the clarity + bass detail. Open back cans lack bass. Every other closed back gaming headset just has muddy but over-emphasized BRRRRRR boomy bass. Penrose has the most detailed and CLEAN bass Ive heard so far. Like it brings out detail in nuanced bass that I never noticed before. These are my first planar magnetic driver cans I've so I dont know if this is characteristic of that or what, but the QUALITY of the bass is unlike anything else Ive heard. My Sennheisers are awesome at a lot (especially legendary comfort), but since theyre open the bass wasn't there. Detail wise, they're close with my Sennheisers but Penrose pulls ahead slightly. They are no where near as comfortable as the HD598's though, and the mic in wireless mode takes a small hit in quality compared to wired...but mic quality isn't my priority.

They are truly the first pair of wireless headphones that don't sound like crap. I've tried like 6 different wireless sets and returned them all, up until now every wireless set Ive tried sounded worse than budget wired cans. I certainly was not expecting them to outclass my wired Sennheisers. It's Audeze though, not just some gamer accessory brand so I shouldn't have doubted them I guess.

EDIT: Just saw your reply after I posted mine but tagging ya since my post might interest you MorshuTheTrader

Last edited:

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I made the mistake of being convinced to buy nice headphones and now I have like 8+ pairs X_X

gaming headphones are by and large wastes of money

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
I went through an audiophile phase which resulted in a pair of HD600s and an ant lion mic. It was ok but I often noticed the bad quality of music which would otherwise be fine. Such as YouTube which is my main source. For gaming it was good but I wouldn't call it revolutionary.

I've since switched entirely to Astro A50s for everything including listening to music. The convenience factor of being wireless far exceeds any value in improved sound quality imo.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I have DT990 pros 250ohm and they are pretty great. The #1 care for me is comfort, and honestly, I feel weird not having them on at my computer. I put them on even if I don't plan on watching/listening to anything, they warm my ears up haha. I do have them EQ'd since I like a more "fun" curve, but only up to 3db at any hz range.

The major issue with any of the Beyers is the non removable/replacable cord. If you are like me, and kinda sloff around, sleep, whatever at the computer, after years of abuse the cord with go bad at the connection point on the headset and it's irritating. I had to move on from 880s because of that reason.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I went through an audiophile phase which resulted in a pair of HD600s and an ant lion mic. It was ok but I often noticed the bad quality of music which would otherwise be fine. Such as YouTube which is my main source. For gaming it was good but I wouldn't call it revolutionary.

I've since switched entirely to Astro A50s for everything including listening to music. The convenience factor of being wireless far exceeds any value in improved sound quality imo.

This is where I'm at right now. Maybe if I was in a PC type setup where I'm sitting at a desk.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I had headphone fomo like a lot of you. Got a bunch of ~$100 "best bang for bucks" headphones thru the years (Sennheiser, audio technica, beyerdynamic, etc.) Then I got a pair of $450 b&o for $130 and it's just way way way better than sub $150 class headphones I've tried. Knocked the fomo right out of me. I got lucky with the b&o sales but I wound definitely spend big money on one pair instead of getting 3 "good" ones and keep wondering.
I am basically heading in this direction. I do have a pair of HD6xx which are great, but wanted to check out something more.

Got Arctis X just because its so easy to setup but now I am second guessing myself and eyeing higher end gear.

I do have Schiit stack coming in the mail, but that won't accommodate a Mic.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
For you audiophiles out there, are the Sennheiser HD600 still a good pair of headphones, or should I be looking for an upgrade?

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
For you audiophiles out there, are the Sennheiser HD600 still a good pair of headphones, or should I be looking for an upgrade?
If you want to increase your budget by a factor of 3-4x, then there are maybe some better ones (Sennheiser HD800,...)
But honestly: the difference will be rather small for the price increase.
Same with other producers. I think there are alternatives für 2-3x your price that would be an increase, but even those wont be a huge one.
in the same price category? not really anything thats petter, just different.

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised by your Audeze Penrose comment, I have Penrose and they shit on anything I've tried from Steelseries. Like it's not even close. I've never noped out of a headset as fast as I did with a Steelseries Arctis. They went back into the box minutes later lol.

In fact, Penrose sound better than my Sennheiser HD598's. The soundstage on Penrose surprised me because it's a closed set, but its much wider than I expected it to be. In stereo they're not as wide as my open back Sennheisers, but they're good enough. And when paired with any kind of 3D audio like Atmos or DTS X Headphones (or PS5's Tempest) the sound stage is more than enough and I can pin point things with ease.

These things bring out detail better than any other headset I've tried, and more than my Sennheiser's + Modmic combo. These are easily now my daily drivers. What puts this above everything else Ive tried is the the clarity + bass detail. Open back cans lack bass. Every other closed back gaming headset just has muddy but over-emphasized BRRRRRR boomy bass. Penrose has the most detailed and CLEAN bass Ive heard so far. Like it brings out detail in nuanced bass that I never noticed before. These are my first planar magnetic driver cans I've so I dont know if this is characteristic of that or what, but the QUALITY of the bass is unlike anything else Ive heard. My Sennheisers are awesome at a lot (especially legendary comfort), but since theyre open the bass wasn't there. Detail wise, they're close with my Sennheisers but Penrose pulls ahead slightly. They are no where near as comfortable as the HD598's though, and the mic in wireless mode takes a small hit in quality compared to wired...but mic quality isn't my priority.

They are truly the first pair of wireless headphones that don't sound like crap. I've tried like 6 different wireless sets and returned them all, up until now every wireless set Ive tried sounded worse than budget wired cans. I certainly was not expecting them to outclass my wired Sennheisers. It's Audeze though, not just some gamer accessory brand so I shouldn't have doubted them I guess.

EDIT: Just saw your reply after I posted mine but tagging ya since my post might interest you MorshuTheTrader
Nice, sounds pretty much what I'm looking for. Wasn't looking for wireless but that'd be a nice bonus. I'll have to look into them

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017

Nah, I don't think so. Unless you're really, really into it and also have the budget to upgrade the rest of your equipment. Personally it was hard to tell what is "better" vs what is simply "different". The real area of variability is within the sound signature: brighter, warmer, neutral, v-shaped, more bass/less bass, etc. Maybe try experimenting with some other headphones around that price range if you're really itching for something different.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm only using cloud alphas, but I can't imagine playing BRs or FPS without headphones anymore. Spatial audio gives such an advantage.

Nov 20, 2019
I loved that headset (Fidelio X2HR) but the clamp force was too much. But the sound was awesome. I went with another pair of open backs.

Last edited: