• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Outside of like, the actual hardware that plays the games (like transitioning from PS3 to PS4) my recent change in audio setup has been the most noticable change in my hardware that I've used to play games, in the past 10 or so years.

I tend to spend a lot of money on gaming tech. In terms of headphones, over the course of this generation I've bought or borrowed the following:

Hyper X Cloud IIs (probably my favourite wired closed back of the gaming headphones)
Steel Series Arctis Pro with Game Dac
Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless
Penrose X (more expensive than, and worse than Arctis Pro)
Astro A40 with mixamp
Astro A50 with wireless base station (my favourite of this lot, though by a fairly small margin)
Playstation Gold / Platinum and Pulse (these are the worst by a mile)

Of these I generally prefer the Arctis Pros or A50s, but after some time I felt like they were missing something. While these headphones offer on the whole, adequate sound reproduction, what they all do really poorly is their soundstage, they all sound narrow, as if the sound is all squashed together and because of this I find that you miss a lot of detail. Everything sounds muddy, blurred together.

So, I fancied trying something new. Posted on here about how I felt about my headphones and a user recommended the Philips Fidelio X2HRs. I looked into some reviews and they looked great, so I picked up a pair for £150.

Also note that I know that this setup isn't unique or unheard of, but I think a lot of folks aren't aware of the difference you can get from a good pair of non-gaming headphones, so I wanted post about my experience.

These are the Philips Fidelo X2HRs, recommended by ERA user dralla. These were £140 on amazon.

fidelio-x2hr-design-medium.jpg

These headphones don't have a mic, so I'm pairing them with the v-moda boom pro. £30 on amazon.

preview.jpg

and they're driven by the Astro Mixamp to provide split control of game and chat audio, as well as simulated 7.1 surround sound. I got this ages ago with the Astro A40s, but it's £140 on amazon now. There might be better DACs for PS4, but I couldn't find any others that split the chat audio, and the EPOS gaming DACs aren't fully featured on the PS4, so the Astro still seemed like a strong option. These won't do justice to headphones that require higher impedence (like the beyerdynamic 80 or 150 ohm), but the impedence on the X2HRs is actually 30, so this is a perfect fit.

71O6iAUuB7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

With this setup, I immediately noticed a whole host of improvements that I wasn't getting out any of the existing gaming brands. This is despite all of those headsets having pretty good reviews.
  • The soundstage is so, so much better. It more closely resembles the audio experience that you would get from being present in the game-world, with the sound emerging from the sources around you. In the other headphones, it really just feels like all the sound is just playing in your ears. It feels artificial by comparison.
  • The mic quality is considerably better. At first I was concerned that because these are an open back pair of headphones, the audio would leak into the mic, but I was able to tune the sensitivity of the PS4 mic (in the PS4 settings) so that this isn't happening. My friends say the sound is better, more personal, closer to my real voice.
  • I think that one of the issues with non-gaming headphones is that they often lack bass, favouring a more neutral sound. But this isn't true with the X2HRs, the base reproduction on par with any of the gaming headphones, but at the same time this is paired with clear treble and mids, giving you all the detail without missing out on the punch that gaming scenarios often provide through explosions and whatnot.
  • The audio clarity and separation is much improved. Individually everything sounds clearer and more pronounced, and because of the sound stage it doesn't feel like everything is overlapping. I can pick out footsteps happening alongside an explosion, even when they're co-orring in the same direction. On Wipeout 2048 I could hear the engines of the ships flying along side me, and I was genuinly picking up sounds that I'd never heard before in the game.
I'm going back to loads of my older games and replaying parts of them to see all the detail I was missing before. It's a really lovely experience.

I had my girlfriend listen to a few games and compare the Fidelio's with some of the gaming brands, and her shorthand assessment was 'they just sound worse in comparison, like all around worse'. She's not an audiophile (and neither am I) so she doesn't have the vocabulary to describe the difference but her general sentiment was that she preferred the X2s by a mile. For me the difference is more noticable than any recent upgrade with my equipment that I've experienced.

The only downside to this setup is that because they are open back, they leak audio into the room. So if you share a space with someone then they're going to hear what you're playing (at a reduced volume, but still they'll hear it). When I'm playing sound at 100db my girlfriend probably hears it at around 20 db when she sits 6 feet away on the sofa. This is the same experience that you get out of something like the Astro A40s/A50s, but much louder than closed cans like the X Cloud II's or Arctis Pro's. That aside though, I don't think there's any reason I'd ever go back, everything is just miles better.

Just thought I'd make a thread about this since I see a lot of folks considering audio setup upgrades with next gen and whatnot, but truthfully, you can get a much better audio experience if you steer clear of the typical gaming brands. Of course, devices like the Pulse Wireless are quite cheap and wireless, which comes with its benefits too.

Last edited:

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
The X2s with vModa has been the move for awhile. Even when the X2s were $300, they were well worth it.

Aug 30, 2020
I also got a lot of headphone upgrades in the last 10 years, but I was already a headphones fan before that.

I think most interesting is I have headphones that really excel at different things, it's fascinating to hear the differences and/or have varied use cases.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The X2s with vModa has been the move for awhile. Even when the X2s were $300, they were well worth it.

Yeah.

I think the only caveat I would say is that without the mixamp, they're not powered adequately by the PS4 controller. You could buy another game DAC but I don't know how well these work with consoles. I looked into the Senheiser / EPOS brand but their surround sound stuff doesn't work with PS4, and you just end up with stereo sound. I like the virtual 7.1 that's output by the Astro Mixamp, I find it works well with the Fidelio X2HRs especially (more noticable than on Astro's own headphones, oddly).

How are you dealing with the lack of optical in the new consoles?

I'm not playing on PS5 at the moment, just PS4.

But if I were playing on PS5 on a 2.1 compatible TV. I would output optical from the TV itself. As far as I know the LG CX, C9 and C10 have optical out.

As is, I play on a monitor so I'm waiting for 2021 to pick up a HDR, 4K, 2.1 compliant monitor (these don't exist yet).

When I do get my hands on a monitor I will split and convert the HDMI signal to optical, into the mixamp. I am hopeful that you'll see 2.1 splitters sold within the next year. In line with when 2.1 monitors should be available too.

Last edited:

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Better sound is always welcome, and maybe even pretty important for some FPS multiplayer games. Overall I think the jump to 120fps from 60fps and SSD from mechanical drives were way WAY more monumental for me.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
Been using my Hyperx Cloud II's for a few years though have always been interested in a higher quality headset. I feel like I can only get so much plugging something into a ps4/ps5 controller though

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I recently bought mid-ranged Razer and Sony headphones, but they sound so good I think anything beyond would be incremental at best. But I'll look into getting some solid Sennheiser's + DAC if I have enough cash in the near future

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Does anybody have recommendations of a similar priced closed back pair? I wanted something similar to the Fidelo but open backs are a no-go for me.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I went with the HD598s + Boompro a couple years ago because they were 99 dollars on sale whereas the Fidelios were 200. I don't regret it, but I'd still love to hear the Fidelios. Congrats on not getting a gaming headset. They're almost always a waste of money.

Jun 6, 2020
Yeah gaming headsets, like almost all other products/accessories branded gaming are generally pretty low quality. And you're much better off going with a quality open back pair of headphones with a separate mic, and then get a dac/amp stack if you have the money.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I tried a Schiit stack (Magni 3+ and Modi 3) with DT770 pros, but it wasn't worth $300 to me over my old 558s with no amp. I like good audio but I'm just not discerning enough.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
The X2 is so convenient with that boom pro mic. Great gaming headphone.

Does anybody have recommendations of a similar priced closed back pair? I wanted something similar to the Fidelo but open backs are a no-go for me.

My go to closed back headphones for gaming are the Beyerdynamic DT770. I use the Pro (80ohm) version. Super comfortable and decent soundstage for a closed back. Would have to use a modmic for chat with it though which is an extra cable. Might be something more convenient than this.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
I like the sound of the Fidelio, but unfortunately they are too heavy/uncomfortable for me. I recommend the AKG 712 as alternative.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The X2 is so convenient with that boom pro mic. Great gaming headphone.

My go to closed back headphones for gaming are the Beyerdynamic DT770. I use the Pro (80ohm) version. Super comfortable and decent soundstage for a closed back. Would have to use a modmic for chat with it though which is an extra cable. Might be something more convenient than this.

I was thinking about offering the same recommendation but the extra cable is a pain in my opinion. The X2hrs are so convenient with the removable cable... I don't think I'd buy a pair of headphones that doesn't offer a removable cable. It's not just a useful feature for attaching the mic, but a durability thing too. If that cable breaks, which they very often do, you would have to re-wire the headphones. On the Fidelios, you just swap out the cable.

A pair to consider could be the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros.

www.techradar.com

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus review

Get personal with these tweakable over-ear headphones

Since these have a removable cable and therefore pair with the boom pro.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Better sound is always welcome, and maybe even pretty important for some FPS multiplayer games. Overall I think the jump to 120fps from 60fps and SSD from mechanical drives were way WAY more monumental for me.

Yeah I meant really outside of upgrading the internals of the device that plays your games. SDDs are great. The biggest upgrade has got to be just upgrading your GPU. The biggest leap right now is folks who are shifting from PS4 to PS5 etc, or into the 30xx series Nvidia cards.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not playing on PS5 at the moment, just PS4.

Haha, well that explains why your headphone upgrade is the biggest gaming upgrade you've experienced in 10 years. Your console is almost 10 years old!

All joking aside, good audio equipment is a wonderful luxury and one that's often overlooked. Glad you're enjoying your new setup!

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
I have been using Philips Fidelo X2HR for a few years now and its the best buy i have ever done, they are so comfy to use and the sound is really great. I was thinking of getting the X3 the next time when it drops abit in price.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Haha, well that explains why your headphone upgrade is the biggest gaming upgrade you've experienced in 10 years. Your console is almost 10 years old!

All joking aside, good audio equipment is a wonderful luxury and one that's often overlooked. Glad you're enjoying your new setup!

I wrote in the OP outside of like, system hardware upgrades. Obviously an upgrade to something like your GPU is more significant than any accessory. I also have a gaming PC with a GTX 2080 TI, so for what it's worth, when I do get a PS5 I don't expect it to be that significant of a leap in quality from the 2080 TI.

Arguably the biggest upgrade to my actual experience of games over the last 10 years was putting paddles on my controller. It completely changed how I play and interact with shooters, which I play most of the time. In any case, obviously 'biggest upgrade' is very subjective. :)

I have been using Philips Fidelo X2HR for a few years now and its the best buy i have ever done, they are so comfy to use and the sound is really great. I was thinking of getting the X3 the next time when it drops abit in price.

I looked at reviews of the X3s before buying the X2hrs and the X3s aren't viewed as favourably as the X2hrs. They offer a more balanced sound profile which is fine, but there are better sets you can get that offer that within that price point. The Fidelio's are fantastic gaming headphones specifically because they are actually do the base justice.

On rtings the X3s have a 7.5 rating for 'base accuracy' while the X2hrs have 9.2. That 9.2 rating is a big component of what in my opinion makes them fantastic for playing games, and outperforms many much more expensive pairs of open back headphones.

Last edited:

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Oh yeah. Going from the normal gaming stuff to mid range, legit headphones is a big jump alright. The X2HR's might be cheap now, but the X2's used to run you $200-300 bucks. So don't let the new price deceive you. They're a solid, fun pair of cans.

Dec 2, 2017
I'd love some decent gaming headphones, but I spent £300+ on Sony headphones only a few months ago that unfortunately don't work wirelessly with consoles.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yikes idk if I'll ever invest that much in headphones

Well, the Arctis Pro Wireless and Astro A50s run £250-300, so that's about the same.

Plus I coupled this with the mixamp that I bought from Astro perhaps 5 years ago. So the actual spend this year was about £170. I actually think that's cheap, especially when you look at reviews, as the X2's outperform many £300+ pairs.

I'd love some decent gaming headphones, but I spent £300+ on Sony headphones only a few months ago that unfortunately don't work wirelessly with consoles.

I might be dense on this subject but I find it baffling that next gen consoles don't support bluetooth headphones out the gate. It feels like I can pair my bluetooth headphones with just about any smart device except my PS5. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

My girlfriend does use her bluetooth headphones to play games by pairing them with our smart TV, then uses a desktop mic via USB for chat audio. Works pretty well.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
I tried a Schiit stack (Magni 3+ and Modi 3) with DT770 pros, but it wasn't worth $300 to me over my old 558s with no amp. I like good audio but I'm just not discerning enough.
Welcome to the world of audio, it gets very expensive for little or no improvement when you get to a certain level. Both the Dt770 and 558s will be great for gaming.
Not sure the X3s are much of an upgrade over the X2s, some reviews even suggest a downgrade. But I get itch to upgrade I have been gaming with X1s for about 8 years and have more than once had the DT1990s in my Amazon cart.

Dec 2, 2017
Well, the Arctis Pro Wireless and Astro A50s run £250-300, so that's about the same.

Plus I coupled this with the mixamp that I bought from Astro perhaps 5 years ago. So the actual spend this year was about £170. I actually think that's cheap, especially when you look at reviews, as the X2's outperform many £300+ pairs.

I might be dense on this subject but I find it baffling that next gen consoles don't support bluetooth headphones out the gate. It feels like I can pair my blutooth headphones with just about any smart device except my PS5. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
It's something to do with audio latency? Hence why even the pulse headset needs a USB dongle to work.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yikes idk if I'll ever invest that much in headphones
well look at it this way: you can't miss what you've never had. Or heard, in this case.

You can get damn near life-changing audio improvements...for life-changing prices. $300 is little league money compared to what you could do if motivated. But if you can avoid curiosity, you can avoid ever finding out just how much you're missing and how much it matters.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's something to do with audio latency? Hence why even the pulse headset needs a USB dongle to work.

Makes sense. I haven't tried my girlfriends audio setup with the bluetooth headphones connected to the TV, but for a casual play experience it seems fine. She didn't note any issues with latency.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
I looked at reviews of the X3s before buying the X2hrs and the X3s aren't viewed as favourably as the X2hrs. They offer a more balanced sound profile which is fine, but there are better sets you can get that offer that within that price point. The Fidelio's are fantastic gaming headphones specifically because they are actually do the base justice.

On rtings the X3s have a 7.5 rating for 'base accuracy' while the X2hrs have 9.2. That 9.2 rating is a big component of what in my opinion makes them fantastic for playing games, and outperforms many much more expensive pairs of open back headphones.

Not sure the X3s are much of an upgrade over the X2s, some reviews even suggest a downgrade.

Hm interesting, maybe i should just get another X2HR when mine breaks some day, they are pretty cheap now and will probably drop abit more in price later on.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I've had Fostex TH-X00 for 5ish years and they're great, usually great headphones last you long time and they're great for music, movies and games alike. Needs to be coupled with amp though. (Also I own Beyerdynamic DT770 600ohm, Sennheiser HD555 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50x for various situations)
Gaming headphones usually just work for gaming, I've found Playstation headphones to be fine for games (esp on Playstation platform where you can tune EQ) and for the price they're great value wireless. I'm never touching Steelseries again personally, just can't appreciate their signature.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I've had Fostex TH-X00 for 5ish years and they're great, usually great headphones last you long time and they're great for music, movies and games alike. Needs to be coupled with amp though. (Also I own Beyerdynamic DT770 600ohm, Sennheiser HD555 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50x for various situations)
Gaming headphones usually just work for gaming, I've found Playstation headphones to be fine for games (esp on Playstation platform where you can tune EQ) and for the price they're great value wireless. I'm never touching Steelseries again personally, just can't appreciate their signature.
+10000000000

Never fucking again. Mine was an awful experience in audio quality and sound signature as well as poor comfort. I can't remember what headset it was now, as it was years ago, but it was about $275 at the time and it was the last headset I ever bought. Sent it back and went headphones + modmic. Never looked back.

For my console, Penrose with a touch of EQ is fantastic. You know a headset is good when you're happy listening to music on it.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
Hm interesting, maybe i should just get another X2HR when mine breaks some day, they are pretty cheap now and will probably drop abit more in price later on.
I would think they will stop making X2s soon, by the time yours break they might be onto the X4s. Check out Beyer headphones, I think they are amazing for gaming. The Beyer Tygr 300r are around £150 and are getting amazing reviews.

X2hr's also look better aesthetically imo. :P
Great OP, yeah the X2s are great looking headphones. Unfortunately my X1s do not allow you to change the pads and after 7 years they are looking a little tired.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
well look at it this way: you can't miss what you've never had. Or heard, in this case.

You can get damn near life-changing audio improvements...for life-changing prices. $300 is little league money compared to what you could do if motivated. But if you can avoid curiosity, you can avoid ever finding out just how much you're missing and how much it matters.

On the plus side, you get to still listen to your favorites because once you get to a certain point, many of your favorite songs will sound like crap. =/

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Amazon.com: Philips Audio Fidelio X2HR Over-Ear Open-Air Headphone 50mm Drivers (Black) + NeeGo Attachable Microphone for Headphones - Gaming and Communication: Electronics

Buy Philips Audio Fidelio X2HR Over-Ear Open-Air Headphone 50mm Drivers (Black) + NeeGo Attachable Microphone for Headphones - Gaming and Communication: Over-Ear Headphones - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

They're available on amazon for $130 with a coupon. This bundle includes a different microphone.

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I would love to get some advice and this seems like a good thread to ask...

I am looking for a good pair of headphones to watch movies late at night. I have a LGC9 and just bought the Pansonic UB820 4k bluray player. I have the Vizio elevate soundbar which is amazing but can't use it late at night.

Wireless headphones are preferred but am open to wired.

I don't know much about headphones and dacs but open to any suggestions!

I currently have the Sennheiser RS 175 but I am not too happy with them.

Thank you in advanced!

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
So, would you recommend me to get a DAC/AMP and a V-Moda mic in addition to the Sony XM3 headphones I already own instead of a new dedicated headset?

I've been thinking about this for a while but never knew where to start with a DAC. I owned the Sony Gold which were terrible and now own the Arctis 7 which are leagues better than the Gold but not really great either.

I'm really happy with my XM3 for general use though and I've actually been using them wired to the DS4 and Dualsense much more now than my headset. I know I'm probably not getting close to the maximum out of these headphones this way but it honestly sounds a lot better on PS5 now than it did on PS4 and I'm ok with that quality. It even sounds better like this than my Arctis do.

But this thread makes me think again I should invest a little more to get the most out of them while gaming.

- which DAC/AMP would you recommend for my XM3 for PS5 and maybe Switch usage (any solution to easily let me switch between multiple devices)?

- being wired from my head to the console will surely annoy me. Any recommendations for cable types to mitigate that? I love wireless stuff.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I have my AKG K701 and my Beyerdynamic DT880.
I did never need a microphone since im not playing online, so Gaming Headsets where never an option for me.
But it is true, that its ofthen a hassle to get them to work with console setups, so that a gaming headset is an alternative that "just works".
But i also prefere better sound to cordless, which is a big nono to a lot, they dont want to have a cable to the headset dangling from the console or tv.

For PC gaming? there never was a reason to prefere gaming headsets. All of them support great not expensive usb audio interfaces and DACs, and with a reasonable budget you can get such a great sounding experience. And since you're 90% of your time on your desk...just use a dedicated dynamic/condensor mic?

(Current PC Setup, not for gaming but could work just as good:
Rode Nt1-A --> Komplete Audio 2 --> Adam Audio T5V/Beyerdynamic DT880
Higher end than most would be willing to pay for gaming i asume, but the mic and interface can be cheaper, and headphones...there are so many great options out there, you'll have to try some out, but 150$ is the sweetspot where it will be hard to get a big improvement in sound if you go morth of that (in that pricerange you can find AKG 7xx, Beyerdynamic DTXX0, Fidelio x2, Sennheiser 5xx and sometimes even 6xx on a sale,...) )

I was kinda down on the fact that my phone supports my interface, but the switch does not.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
Steel Series Arctis Pro with Game Dac
Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless

Could you or anyone compare these two? I am planning to buy one of these but I am torn between the two. The wireless would be more convenient but if the audio quality is much worse then I would stick with the cable one.

Last edited:

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Yeah, it does make a big difference.
I would like to streamline my headsets down to a single pair. I currently have 2 because(down from 3) because they don't work wirelessly with different systems and my pc. Maybe I'll have to give up on it. Honestly, I don't even need a mic I would be happy with a good set of wireless headphones that I could at lest just use on my XBSX and PS5 that work with Tempest and DTS Headphone:X.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
I would love to get some advice and this seems like a good thread to ask...

I am looking for a good pair of headphones to watch movies late at night. I have a LGC9 and just bought the Pansonic UB820 4k bluray player. I have the Vizio elevate soundbar which is amazing but can't use it late at night.

Wireless headphones are preferred but am open to wired.

I don't know much about headphones and dacs but open to any suggestions!

I currently have the Sennheiser RS 175 but I am not too happy with them.

Thank you in advanced!
The Fidelio X2HR discussed here are great allrounders for both movie and gaming use. Popular DAC, though you might be fine without one, that is also properly supported by the PS5 is the SoundblasterX G6.
If you absolutely need wireless headphones, then give the Astro A50 a try

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I have almost that exact setup minus the amp! Got the X2HR's for an absurd sale price on Amazon (checked my order history and they were £109.99), and I have the BoomPro for a mic.

I should look into an amp, but at the moment I have them plugged into the Xbox controller and they seem to get loud enough. I still need to test them with the DualSense.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I also got a lot of headphone upgrades in the last 10 years, but I was already a headphones fan before that.

I think most interesting is I have headphones that really excel at different things, it's fascinating to hear the differences and/or have varied use cases.
Absolutely! I noticed over the last few years how headphones are more and more optimized for certain kinds of music and sounds that become popular, like stuff with heavier bass. It's a shame because I prefer the older sound profiles even if modern ones are, well, more modern.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I bought Sennheiser 599HD a couple of weeks ago after mostly going with gaming headsets mainly PS Gold.
It is a huge upgrade, almost a revelation even just listening to music.
I think it's the open back is the reason for improved sound specially for gaming. The locality of audio and sound mixing get lost in the muffed sound of a closed headset.

Thankfully the Dualsense drives the headset well enough unlike the DS4 so I haven't bought an amp.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I bought Sennheiser 599HD a couple of weeks ago after mostly going with gaming headsets mainly PS Gold.
It is a huge upgrade, almost a revelation even just listening to music.
I think it's the open back is the reason for improved sound specially for gaming. The locality of audio and sound mixing get lost in the muffed sound of a closed headset.

Thankfully the Dualsense drives the headset well enough unlike the DS4 so I haven't bought an amp.
I have a decent pair of Sennheisers too that the controllers don't power close to enough so I've been using Gold's too. The gold's just sound so much better sadly cause they can get loud enough. It's unfortunate