• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
I own a 2015 MBP that is currently running on Mojave, because I still used non-64-bit programs for uni.

Now I wanted to update to Big Sur and the update process never finishes. Most of the time I get stuck to the notice "Less than a minute remaining". I let it run the whole night, but nothing. Restarting hasn't worked, because the Mac "updates" for like half an hour and then gets stuck at the same notice.

I tried using cmd+r but when I wanna select Big Sur manually it tells me that there's not enough space on my drive.

I now used my time machine and went back to Mojave.

What can I do to properly update my Mac?

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
do you have your hard drive encrypted? That can slow down an install.
Also run disk utility on your hdd.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
Try updating to like High Sierra first and then make the jump to Big Sur. I find it it's a lot easier for customers computers to update them from a newer older OS than it is updating from an older OS.

do you have your hard drive encrypted? That can slow down an install.
Also run disk utility on your hdd.

It's not encrypted, just password-protected.

Try updating to like High Sierra first and then make the jump to Big Sur. I find it it's a lot easier for customers computers to update them from a newer older OS than it is updating from an older OS.
I thought about this, too. I'll try that.
Can I properly select High Sierra as my wanted update?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure - you may need to download it - google will point you in the right direction to find the dmgs for earlier versions than Big Sur. I had to do that when upgrading from High Sierra to Catalina (office won't allow Big Sur just yet) and App Store was only offering big sur

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
If you have a TimeMachine backup, you might just wipe the computer and make a clean install from net boot:

Use Option-Command-R at startup to upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

You can use macOS Recovery, your computer's built-in recovery system, to reinstall the Mac operating system. Reinstalling macOS doesn't remove your personal data.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't believe how much HD space I had to clear on my 128gb MacBook Air drive just to upgrade.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire

High Sierra might not be in the store but they do have direct links to it.
Whoops. Looks like Mojave is newer than High Sierra. So You should go to Catalina.

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Download and install current or previous versions of the Mac operating system on compatible Mac computers.

I don't know why, but I now have two "Macintosh HD", one "Macintosh HD - Data" and one "Update" under disk utility.
What happened there? I can't properly do a backup.
The first has barely any data on it, the second 11GB, the Data 180GB and Update 111MB.
Which is what?

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why, but I now have two "Macintosh HD", one "Macintosh HD - Data" and one "Update" under disk utility.
What happened there? I can't properly do a backup.
The first has barely any data on it, the second 11GB, the Data 180GB and Update 111MB.
Which is what?

Big Sur uses a read only system volume as its base. You can always boot to 11.0 or whatever OS was installed with the machine. Then Macintosh HD - Data is the read-write volume for any subsequently installed data. The other Macintosh HD is probably the APFS snapshot of the complete system. The Update volume is used to update the system.

The way the system volume works now means macOS has changed the way it handles software updates, since the system volume can't just be mounted and modified.

When it comes time to install a major macOS update, Big Sur loads up a separate snapshot of your system volume in the same APFS container as your system and data volumes (this volume is a persistent hidden volume called "Update," and it is visible if you boot into Catalina on the same system).

That snapshot of your current Big Sur install is then patched with the new update files. A new snapshot is then created and sealed; when you reboot next, you'll use the new updated snapshot, which will be sealed and verified just like the old one was. When you look at your Big Sur system volume in Disk Utility, it will even show you that you're booted from an APFS snapshot.

Screen-Shot-2020-11-12-at-9.19.51-AM.png

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Ah ok, I now deleted the almost empty one, restarted and now Time Machine is able to perform the backup.
I am also only on Catalina, I couldn't do the update to Big Sure, yet.

Yeah but you did an upgrade that failed. It's probably the remnants. Catalina still uses APFS but doesn't understand Big Sur's volume layout which is why you can see those volumes.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
If it were me I'd wipe the disk and start from scratch. Just Command-Option-R during boot, hit up disk utilities, wipe the drive, install Big Sur fresh.

I've never liked major version upgrades.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC the update process seemed like it stalled out with my install as well, and someone else I spoke to had the same thing. I think you just have to wait it out, but hopefully it will be more straightforward with Catalina.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I went from a 2015 MBP, same kinda position as you - it took A LONG ASS TIME. Just let it go overnight, honestly it'll eventually kick through.

I recently traded it in to apple tho, used the credit to buy an M1 MacBook Air and it's MARKEDLY faster.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
I had issues on an older laptop as well from that same era. I had to make a bootable USB drive and then nuke the entire drive from the usb drive disk tool. Only then was I allowed to install the new OS on the main drive.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Use an external drive or secondary volume as a startup disk from which to install macOS.

I think this is related to the whole APFS switchover that happened a few years ago.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to hijack this thread but if by any chance anyone has a Big Sur VM going, I have an issue where the screen resolution's all messed up and smeared when I VNC in (fine when accessing from vsphere). Anyone come across this and find a resolution? I saw one post on the vmware forums with advice but it didn't seem to work.

If it were me I'd wipe the disk and start from scratch. Just Command-Option-R during boot, hit up disk utilities, wipe the drive, install Big Sur fresh.

I've never liked major version upgrades.

how

I went from a 2015 MBP, same kinda position as you - it took A LONG ASS TIME. Just let it go overnight, honestly it'll eventually kick through.

I recently traded it in to apple tho, used the credit to buy an M1 MacBook Air and it's MARKEDLY faster.

I really don't want to trade it in, because for my stuff it's still pretty good.

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Man i have to update my work computer to Big Sur one day, but i don't want the tracking that comes with it...