• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Micolash

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Even ignoring all the issues with the dude and the original premise for the game (don't ignore it... Fuck that dude and his terrible views)

People are actually super hyped about a game that they haven't actually seen anything from yet...

It is well established and mentionned in this thread that when the original trailer was released the game did not exist yet... It was 100% smoke and mirror CG to market a (bad) idea.

You're literrally getting hyped for something that doesn't even exist....Even if the game ends up getting released, and that's a gigantic if, there's absolutely zero guarantees that it will look or play anything like what was originally promised.

Part of it existed as a flash game, which is what spurred the idea of expanding it into a full-fledged game with better visuals and everything.

https://timsoret.itch.io/the-last-night

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Art style was great, but I question how well the gameplay is going to turn out if this ever actually releases.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone talking about some "Those were just Tweets from 2014. He's changed!" It doesn't even take five minutes of Twitter searching to find a host of shit from this year that is evidence to the contrary.

We had plenty of representation in the 80s. Black Panther's representation is just manufactured for money!

Identity politics dog whistling with a healthy dose of "Americans are too obsessed with race."

More identity politics dog whistles: https://twitter.com/timsoret/status/1012984190105804800

Some nonsense about Techno McCarthyism he retweeted. See if anything sounds familiar.
https://twitter.com/EricRWeinstein/status/1075411268477931521

It's impossible to make art nowadays because everyone will get offended.
https://twitter.com/timsoret/status/1034030420940271616

Why won't everyone leave ScarJo alone for taking trans roles!
https://twitter.com/timsoret/status/1014309853542731787

Again, that's all from this year, and it took longer to organize this list than it did to actually do a quick search. Go back a bit further than that and there's still plenty of ranting about how SJWs and social justice is ruining lives and how GG is purely devoted to making games journalism more ethical.

Oct 26, 2017
Where did all the "Keep politics out muh vidya games" people go? Y'know, the ones who complain every time somebody dares to put a woman or a POC in a leading role in a game.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's the equivalent of someone claiming to be socially liberal, fiscally conservative and then voting republican at the polls.

It's funny that for a group of people who love to decry left win criticism as straight out of 1984... it's these fucks who use all the tools Orwell warned against in Politics and the English Language.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Everyone talking about some "Those were just Tweets from 2014. He's changed!" It doesn't even take five minutes of Twitter searching to find a host of shit from this year that is evidence to the contrary.

We had plenty of representation in the 80s. Black Panther's representation is just manufactured for money!

Identity politics dog whistling with a healthy dose of "Americans are too obsessed with race."

More identity politics dog whistles: https://twitter.com/timsoret/status/1012984190105804800

Some nonsense about Techno McCarthyism he retweeted. See if anything sounds familiar.

Again, that's all from this year, and it took longer to organize this list than it did to actually do a quick search. Go back a bit further than that and there's still plenty of ranting about how SJWs and social justice is ruining lives and how GG is purely devoted to making games journalism more ethical.

Based on the reality I seem to be living in I can only assume the game will come out and make its creators billions of dollars so they can join Notch in telling everyone about the truth that rich white guys are the only people with real problems.

This is just sad.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where did all the "Keep politics out muh vidya games" people go? Y'know, the ones who complain every time somebody dares to put a woman or a POC in a leading role in a game.

It's almost like anyone who uses that line is lying.

tumblr_inline_p7gqpblyx11rbgili_540.gif

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

What's his ERA account... dude has the same Racism is an American thing that so many Euros here have XD

Zendoc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (Permanent): Trolling, account still in its junior phase.
Fuck this game. Fuck the devs. They should die. Buyers are assholes.
Can i get my medal now resetera?

Seriously.

Game looks great. Premise sounds original.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I can't believe misogynists managed to fucking turn the word egalitarian into a dog whistle.

In their twisted world view, women are inherently inferior. Therefore if society treated everyone equally, the system would properly reflect our inferiority with fewer opportunities and recognition. Feminism in their world view is a threat to undermine the status quo, which they see as a meritocracy. It's utter bullshit, of course, but that's basically the line of thinking. Propagating that point of view is toxic and should give institutional funders pause because they'll be associated with it by proxy.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017

Seriously.

No one said anything about death threats, and implying that anyone here wants that is pretty disgusting honestly.

You're trying to argue that a game claims universal income/healthcare and feminism will cause the downfall of society as we know it is "original" and "great."

Last edited:

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people even make threads for this game?

*clicks*

Oh, it's just eight pages of people dogpiling on this shitstain of a dev. What a pleasant surprise. Carry on then.

Considering the basis behind the world in this game, it's strange to me that it isn't on the banned games list.
I don't either. Somehow even Kingdom Come was allowed.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game doesn't even really look good without taking into account what a fragile tosser Tim Sorbet is tbh.

I mean, if I missed a video of the gameplay that makes it look amazing somewhere along the way I'm happy to be proven wrong here.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017

Seriously.

Wishing for someone's death is a bannable offense, fyi. Not that I'd mind if some dumb troll account got banned, mind you.

Could you elaborate on what's so original about the premise?

Edit: lol, already banned. Nevermind.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
it sounds like they might have been missing milestones. this could have been why microsoft pulled support (see also: scalebound). that would make sense with the legal & financial issues that they can't talk about. what it sounds like to me is that the game was proceeding on a certain path, soret got a sweet deal from microsoft, which led to a dumb expenditure of cash that bought them all the nice things they always wanted and also put the game behind schedule because now they could make it 'better'.

Last edited:

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I remember when GAF was burning down he was doing a victory dance on twitter.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
Can't say I feel sorry for him. Any publisher that supports this man and his ideals will deserve a boycott.

I gotta say, if The Videogame Awards thing is true, I am really disappointed that Geoff was gonna allow him on the show. I'm actually surprised that more people aren't paying attention to that. But I guess it's no surprised with how many sexist streamers get nominated there.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a good example of the perils of indie development when you're no longer a few people working from someone's house. Things can go very bad behind the scenes when large amounts of money and significant numbers of staff are involved, and you can end up shit creek without a paddle. Having a solid publisher who has your back and enough money to keep the lights burning is more important than having a great gameplay concept or a cool trailer. I suspected something was wrong behind the scenes when the game didn't make any appearances in 2018.
Could you elaborate on what's so original about the premise?
From what I remember, the game's premise is a dystopia driven by the absence of need and purpose. Most cyberpunk stems from a fairly samey and ultimately myopic worldview where all the evils in the world are caused by greedy corporations being greedy. Billowing smokestacks, rampant poverty, rich people living on top, poor people in the underbelly. While is is true that in the real world, the love of money is the root of all evil, in the absence of such structures, new types of dystopia could form. Cyberpunk as a genre basically has a giant fetish for 1984. Brave New World, not so much. A lot of popular cyberpunk has been politically unimaginative. Deus Ex is a rare example of cyberpunk, I feel, that looks past the cliches to some of the underlying problems of government and society and how creating a seeming utopia can potentially backfire in horrible ways.

Of course the Eidos Montreal Deus Ex games completely ignored this and went right back to cyberpunk cliches, cackling old dudes in towers as the source of all evil, and oppressed underclasses the audience is supposed to automatically side with.

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
I haven't read up on everything he's written/said, so I don't know to what extent the stronger reactions in here are justified vs hate campaigning, BUT, from what I do know about him and the game he was making it just seems like a dumb and tasteless concept for a cyberpunk premise, doesn't it?

His "literature stopped being as smart after 19th century england" phrasing and whiney attitude towards critics are not a good look when your game is marketed as relevant art and, based on the timing of its development, it seems like a reaction to #metoo, Anita Sarkeesian, anti-gamergate, and other equal rights movements happening rn. THAT's you're oppressive dystopia? A world with more equality where feminism is more influential and where poverty might be addressed, possibly fixed via UBI? Sounds like another typical "I read Ayn Rand, of course I'm woke" tech bro philosophy. Maybe the game is smarter than its premise lets on, but it's understandable that a concept like that will not get overwhelming positive feedback, and should be open to criticisms if the critics know something the general public does not (which is often the case).

If he can't make his point well via tweets, it seems pretty unlikely he's capable of making a full game that matches the ambition or relevance of what he's trying to present it as. Make your case guy and hold your own in discourse or just admit your concept is probably dumb and you're just whining about critics who probably have more progressive views and emotional sensitivity than you and are more aware of it than you are.

Inb4 he's claims he's being targeted on twitter and books himself on Fireside Chats to have a prepared, defensive soliloquy about how relevant and important his game is, lmao.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
it sounds like they might have been missing milestones. this could have been why microsoft pulled support (see also: scalebound). that would make sense with the legal & financial issues that they can't talk about. what is sounds like to me is that the game was proceeding on a certain path, soret got a sweet deal from microsoft, which led to a dumb expenditure of cash that bought them all the nice things they always wanted and also put the game behind schedule because now they could make it 'better'.
That does make a lot of sense as far as a possibility. Even if Microsoft didn't pull the plug specifically because of the game or Soret himself, if his team was consistently unable to deliver what they promised on time, that would give Microsoft reason to just cut their losses without controversy. And now Soret is up shit's creek unless he can find someone else to fund a game he's already overspent on and is loaded with bad PR of his own making.

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've looked through some pages and haven't seen anything too bad... maybe I'm missing it. Regardless of the mans views there are other people working their so I wish no evil upon them.

So you think that islamphobia, strongly disliking women having their own agency, complaining about identity politics and claiming that social progression is a bad thing isn't "too bad" and these are normal thoughts to have?

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
All the internet rage generated by this game just makes me more curious to see how it turns out.

I'm going to be weirdly disappointed if it ends up being relatively innocuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.