• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
A lot of people agree with you, based on how positive the initial feedback was. The problem is that quickly became irrelevant when the true nature of the game became known. It isn't just a cyberpunk setting. It's one where the awful state of society is caused directly by feminism, in the eyes of the developer.

Wait, I thought the devs changed that? Are they seriously still doing the whole ''feminism dystopian'' thing?

If that's true then I am gonna reconsider this.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I thought the devs changed that? Are they seriously still doing to whole ''feminism dystopian'' thing?

If that's true then I am gonna reconsider this.
He claimed he didn't think that way anymore, but there was still more than enough evidence of him still actively promoting shitty ideas before he got caught as a milkshake duck and started deleting tweets.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm getting the impression this game is about a poor white man, in the future, who is repressed because computers, andriods, robots, women, and minorities got too many equal rights.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Shocked no one pointed out this is what made Milkshake duck famous

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
He claimed he didn't think that way anymore, but there was still more than enough evidence of him still actively promoting shitty ideas before he got caught as a milkshake duck and started deleting tweets.

Well that's fucking bummer, I will not support the game if the game's content (story, character etc.) is influenced by the creator's believe, I was gonna play it because I thought it's just the creator that has issues and the game is just its own thing (while looking beautiful as shit). Fuck this.

If I can't separate an art from its artist then it's a no from me.

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm getting the impression this game is about a poor white man, in the future, who is repressed because computers, andriods, robots, women, and minorities got too many equal rights.

the intial pitch was something along the lines of, universal basic income will destroy the desire to create art, so humanity is dead. Tech has gone too far and given women too much agency (artificial uterus for example) but he hasn't quantified exactly why and how this is a problem.

here's some of his deleted tweets #gamergate

The-Last-Light-Controversy.jpg

last-night-tim-soret-gamergate-2.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
If this game really was deeply about a "feminist dystopia" I would have loved to see (or at least read about) how they managed to manifest that nonsense as a game.

I wonder if MS bailing on support was purely over optics or because the game really was about that shit.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
lol this explanation on Urban Dictionary. Pathetic.

Milkshake Duck
A forced meme created in response to a video game developer who gained recognition for a very impressive looking independently created game, only for it to be found later that he was an Egalitarian who supported the existence of bisexuals instead of a SJW "Feminist" who openly hates men. His success was derailed by outraged independent "video game" developers who were jealous of his newfound fame who promptly dug through 8 years of social media posts (and posted some that were photoshopped) to claim he was Literally Hitler.

Not widely used, but often repeated as an attempt to force it's popularity, in part because it presumes the guilt of the person targeted by the name.

Refers to the act of doing opposition research towards a person who is newly successful or famous, finding something in their past (often in their social media accounts) that can be misconstrued as offensive or non-politically correct, and then directing an outrage mob towards them.
"Bob saved those kittens from the tree, and that's cool, but I found he once posted a picture of Elmer Fudd in a dress making fun of someone. That's transphobic! Gotcha, you Milkshake Duck! Quick, everyone, be outraged!"
#forced meme#outrage culture#social justice warrior#sjw
by Xython January 17, 2018

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'll never forget how quickly this guy and his game got Milkshake Ducked after that reveal trailer.

Larkoz

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Rationalizing misogynist rhetoric and excusing the dialog associated with hate and harassment movements
I think it's interesting to how a society would be if
the intial pitch was something along the lines of, universal basic income will destroy the desire to create art, so humanity is dead. Tech has gone too far and given women too much agency (artificial uterus for example) but he hasn't quantified exactly why and how this is a problem.

This sounds perfectly reasonable and rather interesting, except for the stupid hashtag. I hope everything will be ok for him, the game looks phenomenal.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
You don't do him any favors pitting him as someone so out of touch with feminism, that he just assumes it's a certain way without digging deeper. He's dumber than I thought if your explanation is anywhere close to the mark. On a base level for not bothering to do just a bit of homework. Then for the fact that he's making a game based on his lack of education, for a whole host of people who agree with those shitty viewpoints to latch onto. Irresponsible would be the most charitable word to describe it.
I'm not defending him, I'm explaining how he probably ended up believing what he did at that point in time. People aren't born supporting gamergate, there's a complex internet filter bubble preceding such views. And I doubt he left that bubble after people tried going after his livelihood.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
whats interesting as well is that Soret seems to have spent some time on 4chan, at one point he's expressed interest in incorporating a character "Vivian James" into the game that was created there. His optics on modern feminism seem extremely questionable.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

Wow this is lame. Yet some still say "but the game looks good." Oof.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's interesting to how a society would be if

This sounds perfectly reasonable and rather interesting, except for the stupid hashtag. I hope everything will be ok for him, the game looks phenomenal.

https://forum.waypoint.vice.com/t/c...y-and-everything-else-really-image-heavy/4646

Tim Soret clearly sees himself as some sort of rebel against the system…except that to him the system isn't Late-Stage Capitalist Alienation, or the Prison Industrial Complex, or the Military Industrial Complex, or anything that it actually is; to Tim, the system is apparently Feminists, anyone who disagrees with him on the internet ever, and anyone fighting for a better world. Needless to say, he isn't a rebel against anything, in fact he's clearly the exact opposite. He looks at the people trying to solve the problems of the world as the problem, and the actual problem(s) as a good thing. His game is a product of this warped mentality, entirely. So much so that it's anti-cyberpunk, it's literally the antithesis of the genre he claims it is.

this post does a better job than i ever will deconstructing the myth of Soret's "radical" cyberpunk vision

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not defending him, I'm explaining how he probably ended up believing what he did at that point in time. People aren't born supporting gamergate, there's a complex internet filter bubble preceding such views. And I doubt he left that bubble after people tried going after his livelihood.
I guess I'm seeing it as there's no need to come to the why of it all. It's a propaganda game if it's still anywhere near what he claimed it to be at this point. Either the drop in funding made him reevaluate his views (unlikely), or it hardened him and put him on a mission to get this message out even more.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Well done Microsoft - in case they really stopped funding this garbage.

I dont really think it had to do with the devs troubling views but with MSofts spotty record with developing "Exclusives" with third party devs.

Same thing happened with Phantom Dust and Scalebound, they come in...throw money around for a demo and trailer and then fuck off when it comes down to the nitty gritty.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
If i remember correctly, Raw Fury was supposed to be publishing it with involvement from id@xbox for the Xbox version.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong.

boy would it suck if women and minorities got too many equal rights

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont really think it had to do with the devs troubling views but with MSofts spotty record with developing "Exclusives" with third party devs.

Same thing happened with Phantom Dust and Scalebound, they come in...throw money around for a demo and trailer and then fuck off when it comes down to the nitty gritty.
Takes from your ass?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

That's two games you mentioned. I'll bet on it being the shitty views that made them back off.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

what did shannon loftis tweet at the creators of scalebound or phantom dust?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I just think everyone in here is being too judgmental about the game because they're basing their criticism solely on the stated concept for the game and the views of the auteur director.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Can't really say friend but an acquaintance has this exact view of feminism, like 100%, no gamergater because he doesn't game but super invested in all the historical and political side of feminism so you really can't argue with him because he's far too invested in it and probably does nothing else than read about it. You just get this unsettling feeling when he starts to talk about it because you get upset but really have nothing at all to counter with and just wants to walk away. I've tried to pinpoint what's his problem but I can't, no cultural thing or anything like that, just some sort or fear that women are going to take over the world unless we put the foot down and speak up :P

As for this game I'm still undecided, it does indeed look amazing and I bet I can ignore the politics, but I'm not sure if that goes for everyone playing it though and spreading this type of message might not be wise.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. It makes me sad how many people here can't look past the nice neon lights and care about the fact that the game will be apparently set in "dystopia caused by women having rights".

I'm gonna go ahead and take a stab and say all the people vaguely saying "Game looks awesome, can't wait!" are actually super into the "dystopia caused by women having rights" angle, because right now there's literally nothing else to the game.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

You're a fairly inactive user with a very low post count that just happened to post in this thread with an incredibly hot take.

"I think a game that portrays feminism as having gone 'too far' and women have 'too many' rights creating a future the game portrays as a dystopian hellscape sounds super interesting!"

like what lmao. very suss tbh

Oct 26, 2017
UK
He's a fucking moron who doesn't even understand the basics of the topics he's covering. From eugenics coming from people who have a progressive viewpoint to the dangers of UBI not being that the people pushing for it most being the rich capitalists who have a history of giving their workers the fewest protections and smallest wage imaginable.

That's not even going into the insane anti-woman message of the game.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
I agree but i am telling the simplest thing: let's play it and then critisize it with all of our hearts. Maybe there is the 0000.1% possibility the game to be "good"

ps. mods have the right to delete my comments here, i don't want to be banned.

There's a 99.9% that it sucks. Was it worth it going to bat for a alt-right bigot for a 0000.1% chance? Do you stand on the corner listening to whack jobs claiming the world is going to end on the 0000.1% chance that they might be right?

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's always funny for me to read that Tim Soret isn't an alt right dude. I've been on Gamerama for years, which is a forum made mostly for talking about video games without mods and without "limits". There are a lot of great people down there, and i had a ton of great debates / discussions with them. But there was also Tim Soret, who said stuff like "Since the attacks in Paris, i just can't watch arab people in the eyes", and was also posting some really alt right stuff. I'd love to provide you some screenshots for that, but he deleted his account and every single message hours before the Microsoft reveal of his game, that's something you do when you have nothing to hide, right ?

But yeah, i'm sure he's a good guy now (lol).

It's alright to buy a game if you want the game, even if you disagree with the views of the creator, but please don't believe the whole "My views have changed now", because this is bullshit.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's alright to buy a game if you want the game, even if you disagree with the views of the creator..
See in some cases I'd say sure. In this case, it's not enough to say "separate the art from the artist". Most art is an expression of the artist's views in one way or another. In this case it's a fucking statement. Someone doesn't get to play that card in purchasing this to me.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See in some cases I'd say sure. In this case, it's not enough to say "separate the art from the artist". Most art is an expression of the artist's views in one way or another. In this case it's a fucking statement. Someone doesn't get to play that card in purchasing this to me.

In fact yes, i think you're right on that.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
damn that's a real pity, the game looked amazing and i was lookin forward to it. i hope Soret will find the funding and will finish the game, would be a real pity to lose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.