• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
GBA ports of Donkey Kong Country. Just so goddamn ugly looking.

maxresdefault.jpg

Isn't that piss yellow skyline just lovely looking?

Now to be fair, this isn't entirely Rare's fault, they were just trying to compensate for the original GBA model lacking a front light, but boy did it result in the games being hit with the ugly stick hard.

What the hell, this looks worse than the Gameboy Colour port of DKC.

Edit: Looking at this comparison, even the MUSIC is worse than the GBC port. What the hell happened with the GBA port?!

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Final Fantasy X. If you want actual enhancements do yourself a favor and play the PS2 game on an emulator.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Scott Pilgrim on X360/PS3. When they pushed the update to add online play, it impacted the framerate of the game across the board, even in single player mode. What was once mostly a smooth 60fps became a stuttery mess.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger DS.

The definitive version of the game has the wrong aspect ratio.
Damn. I was going to get this to try it out.

As for the OP's question:

Batman Return to Arkham.
God of War 3 Remastered.
Silent Hill HD Collection.
Castlevania SotN Saturn.
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.
Super Smash Bros Brawl.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Mario 64 DS doesn't add anything substantial to the base game and messes with the control scheme and original pacing to add bonus playable characters. Best part about it is the minigame collection that later ended up in NSMB

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What the hell, this looks worse than the Gameboy Colour port of DKC.

The original GBA's screen was that awful. Games that were built for launch, like Castlevania Circle of the Moon, were mostly unplayable due to how dark they appeared. Developers quickly adjusted course and boosted the gamma (or in this case, also changed time of day entirely) to make everything look, well, viewable on the shit screen. It looks bad on this image, but viewed on an original GBA screen, it looked better than anything else would have.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy IV PSP.

Yes it has the most content but other than the enemy sprites the game looks hideous.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Is it? Because OP is talking about the difference between Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold and Street Fighter Alpha 3. Two different games in a series.

Looking through some other posts, I don't think anyone read the OP.
Alpha 2 Gold and 3 are both updates to Street Fighter Alpha. They use the same assets. Itd be different if I was talking about SF4 and SF5, but those are both completely separate games built from scratch.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Dark Souls 2 SOTFS.

Aldor and the revamped Dragon Shrine were great additions. The rest is absolutely fucking not.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Command and Conquer 3 is a good one.
At some point they rebalanced the online to slow it down and try to make it play more like Starcraft for some reason instead of the fun spammy rush tactics it was designed around. They changed things like lowering how much you got from mining Tiberium. However those balance changes were also applied to the campaign, which has missions designed around having tons of money and spamming out tanks and such and it made those missions bizarrely difficult unless you followed a real specific build order because you had less to play with and your units did less damage.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
All the Mario & Luigi games remakes.
So much this, I find Super Star Saga on GBA better than the 3DS remake.

I find the new look and feel dull for some reason I can't quite explain. I thought it was nostalgia but seeing someone else mention this makes me believe there may be more to it.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's so incredibly frustrating when updated versions are the only option on a given platform, regardless of the quality of the changes

Nov 4, 2017
It has to be those mobile ports of FFIV, V, and VI.

I think more people would be happy with slightly tweaked graphics of the GBA ports and remastered audio.

The GBA ports put back in stuff missing from the original SNES English versions, and overall kept the spirit of that graphical style alive.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The Bioshock 1 & 2 remasters that were bugged out on PC, making them crash on startup for some. Including me.

Oct 27, 2017
Almost every FF rerelease ever.

One notable exception being the Zodiac Age, though some still would prefer the International ver. as having two jobs per character tends to diminish the difficulty.

Edit: And I say this as someone that actually likes the PSP version of IV.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Ah, you mean like the recent Dragon Quest 1-3 releases that run at worse framerates than the decades old original 60fps versions, and have horribly updated character sprites on top of that.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
These ain't on page 1? You slacking guys.

H2x1_NSwitch_PokemonLetsGo_Combo_enGB.jpg

Take the fairly easy pokemon games and turn them into brain-dead experiences that you could solo-sweep you're starter alone. Add on top of that a poorly programmed forced motion control mini-game to capture pokemon now, a bad chibi-artstyle, add overworld pokemon but don't adjust the geometry at all to hold them in, add gate-checks that weren't in the previous game, remove series staple features like Held Items and Abilities, add in a Candy System that ruins any possibly variety pokemon can have in stat sets. Throw in the worst rival in the series over blue (Oh good, new players can have a new rival they can call their own, shame they can't have new pokemon or region they can call their own), have the worst post-game in the series yet with Master Trainers (If you can even stomach playing the game long enough for the master trainer that is), sell Mew with a $50 accessory that is the only way you can get it.

Oh, and they removed 6 of the 7 generations of pokemon in the game as well. Ya get 2 outside of Kanto. That's it. Worst is some people think having less pokemon is better somehow. Boo to anyone who says that's a good thing.

Track down Fire Red and Leaf Green if you can and screw this game.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't consider myself a purist at all, but usually I find most rereleases to be at least slightly inferior to their originals.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Bioshock remastered.

How the hell you gonna make a remaster and actually make some things look worse? It was so weird, there were parts that look better in the original, some parts look better in the remaster.

Worst of all though was the water effects that looked worse, like that's literally one of the MAIN aesthetics/themes of the game.

Nov 2, 2017
The redone voices and writing in the newer versions of Symphony of the Night are dreadful. They even changed Alucard's grunts when he gets hit and it throws me off every time.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
Ah, you mean like the recent Dragon Quest 1-3 releases that run at worse framerates than the decades old original 60fps versions, and have horribly updated character sprites on top of that.
The DQ3 sprites are pretty good on switch actually, for some reason they're all done in a different style than DQ1-2. But yes I agree; the SNES versions of all 3 were the superior way to experience them IMO.

My votes are:
Secret of Mana remake 2018, oof
All the Final Fantasy mobile ports pretty much. RIP the fonts.
The PS4 ports of Jak & Daxter are pretty rough
Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Resident Evil HD with the modern controls (1:1 analog) ruins the game play but it's also completely optional. Most other examples are already posted.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017

Higher resolution≠better

The character sprites in particular suffer because their proportions remain the same but their detail increases which gives them this really strange almost playmobil kind of look. Especially in battle where they're juxtaposed with these high resolution backgrounds with perspective which just gives the entire game a slapdash kind of look.

For my money the GBA version actually looks the best because it builds on the SNES foundation but adds detail in a way that keeps the game looking consistent.

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Sadly FFIV GBA has a bunch of other problems that prevent it from even being on even footing with the SNES original overall.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Doom 3: BFG Edition comes to mind. The missing sound options was really perplexing and I remember it being pretty unstable (the game would crash for me where the original would not). It's inferior in other ways too but I can't remember exactly what now, it's been a long time since I played it.

Claris

Oct 29, 2017
NiGHTS into Dreams... on everything aside from Saturn.

Damn I have SO many problems with the port (biggest being the butchered physics), and that's going to be the only way to ever play the game aside from on an actual Saturn... It sucks so much.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Here are two that are more mixed bags than indisputable downgrades, but:

• Majora's Mask 3D has a lot of nice quality of life updates, but also has some baffling changes:
    • Zora Link's agile swimming and energy attack are now combined into one special move that drains magic. In the original, the dolphin like underwater movement was Zora Link's default and didn't consume anything. Now, your default swim is the clunkier "standard" swimming of other 3D Zelda games.
    • Most bosses got changed to be more "Zelda-like," (ie, relying on a specific skill to defeat). Odalwa in the original could be beaten by just using the bow and sword; in the remake, it heavily encourages you to turn into Deku Link and drop Deku Nuts on him to stun him first in some phases. Gyorg in the original could just be stunned in a number of ways, and then you dove in as Zora Link to damage him. In the remake, it's more rigidly phased, with having to stun it by shooting its mouth, and having an underwater combat phase that requires you to damage it in specific ways while it fights back. Twinmold goes from a straight fight with an amusing visual gimmick to having multiple phases against each half having different abilities and the combat being significantly changed. Some of these are neat in theory (make the bosses more distinct and complex) but I also remember a lot of people pointing out that these made them way longer to complete.
    • Ice arrows can only freeze certain sparkling patches of water... for some reason.

• Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cuthas a lot of great stuff in it (like the director's commentary, New Game+, and the revamped boss fights that replaced the original outsourced ones that could really only be completed in very contrived ways if you were playing as a pacifist/stealth build). So why am I listing it? Well, because it has two notable issues (okay there was also the common complaint that it's buggier than the original game due to being based on pre-release code for the original, but I don't know how true that it is these days).
    • The removal of the yellow filter. Yes, "piss filters" were fun to make fun of less generation, but Human Revolution was actually going for something really distinct and meangingful with its black and gold color grading, and the aesthetic is hurt a bit by its removal.
    • The Missing Link DLC is integrated right into the main story where takes place chronologically. "Wait, what's the problem with that?" you might ask. I mean, the base game itself had the issue of Jensen hinting that something took place during his little boat trip in the second half of the game and then never remarks on it again, so this way it all fits together and you don't have to separately launch a DLC mission after finishing the story, so it's better this way, right? Problem: Missing Link is several hours long and the fact that it was a separate DLC mission meant that it was designed around that; Jensen conveniently loses all of his upgrades and items at the start and the maps are designed around you unlocking them again as a little mini-campaign. The Director's Cut version gives you all your stuff back at the end so you haven't permanently lost anything going back into the main story, but it effectively acts as a now mandatory several hour long detour that barely advances the main plot at all and completely messes with the sense of progression and story momentum.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Higher resolution≠better

The character sprites in particular suffer because their proportions remain the same but their detail increases which gives them this really strange almost playmobil kind of look. Especially in battle where they're juxtaposed with these high resolution backgrounds with perspective which just gives the entire game a slapdash kind of look.

For my money the GBA version actually looks the best because it builds on the SNES foundation but adds detail in a way that keeps the game looking consistent.

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Sadly FFIV GBA has a bunch of other problems that prevent it from even being on even footing with the SNES original overall.
Nah, it's not only about the higher resolution.

Here is the same picture from the GBA that you posted. It has better enemie battle sprites, the attack animations and spells are superior, detailed backgrounds. The back row actually works.

maxresdefault.jpg

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, if we're talking about ports then this one takes the cake. It's partially responsible for the whole "Sonic Adventure was never good" opinion people hold these days.

Even the art was butchered

Wf13cwU.png

L1CL1Hi.png
I don't think it was good originally either but yes the DX port is a disaster on so many levels.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Wait, I'm confused. Is this about sequels or remakes, remasters and general rereleases? The title suggest one and the content says the other.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
super mario 64 DS
a game that literally revolutionized character movement with an analog stick ported to a system without one

NiGHTS HD remake for PS3, for the same reason. Elegant 360 analog control allowing for smooth transitions between acrobatics and fluidly swimming through gates and looping around enemies.. all lost, only giving players 8-directional controls. The game became a clunky, awkward exercise. And you can only really unlock the amazing song remixes mid-stage when you're smoothly stringing together a bunch of moves. Might as well not have even released this remake.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Yes, if we're talking about ports then this one takes the cake. It's partially responsible for the whole "Sonic Adventure was never good" opinion people hold these days.

Even the art was butchered

Wf13cwU.png

L1CL1Hi.png

Gosh, I knew I had avoided this version for good reason, but I forgot just how awful it is.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Almost every FF rerelease ever.

One notable exception being the Zodiac Age, though some still would prefer the International ver. as having two jobs per character tends to diminish the difficulty.

Edit: And I say this as someone that actually likes the PSP version of IV.

I like the gameplay additions, but I'm not too keen on the updated visuals in TZA. There are some obvious improvements like Vaan but a lot of the environment textures don't look that great. They look like they've been upscaled in Photoshop with various filters applied on top, and too much contrast.