• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
giphy.gif

A picture is worth a thousand words. 60 of those a second for a video demonstration... you do the math.

dom

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hold on

HOLD ON

the main thing here is "a back catalog of ps4 titles"... what the hell does that mean?? Sounds like a smaller number than "all"

oh and EVERY game gets better framerate and shorter loading on xbox x/s...yes even on s

so only "select" titles get better framerate?? Wtf is this shit.gif
Every game doesnt. Can't increase a games framerate if it never drops.

Favio Bolo

Banned
Aug 17, 2020
Hold on

HOLD ON

the main thing here is "a back catalog of ps4 titles"... what the hell does that mean?? Sounds like a smaller number than "all"

oh and EVERY game gets better framerate and shorter loading on xbox x/s...yes even on s

all ps4 games if not patched will run in ps4pro mode if they had a patch, and in ps4pro boost mode if they didn't have a patch. it's pretty much like having a ps4pro inside your ps5, don't expect more

Oct 25, 2017
Hold on

HOLD ON

They've said 99% of games will work with BC that's the same as Xbox. No point in saying 100%, when there could be one offs.

You can't boost every game, if a game has a capped frame rate, running it on more powerful hardware isn't going to magically improve it.

You'll get better frame rates on games that have variable frame rates.

So if a game runs at a capped 30 with no dynamic resolution on PS4 it probably isn't going to be improved on PS5 unless it gets patched to take advantage.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Hold on

HOLD ON

Some PS4 games actually stick to their internal framerate and rez locks, there's nothing to boost.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
What? This is wrong, they put out details of how it's enchanted on series s which is far better than what one s does.
That was for older generations [x360 and classic xbox]. MS said that gen8 games will run in Xbox One S mode, which means for example, Jedi Fallen Order will still be 720p30 on Series S.

PS5 has only one hardware model, that can run both PS4 base and Pro games.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't they using this term incase the odd game doesn't work?

This is essentially PS5 boost mode.
In the case of BC, there are just a few games that won't work. I think the "Select" phrasing is different though in terms of boosted performance. I.e. Almost all games will be compatible, but fewer than that will receive various degrees of boosted performance.

I would imagine the SSD should help every game with loading times though.

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
User Warned - Platform Warring
Hold on

HOLD ON

Not a fair comparison considering xbox has literally ZERO games. 😆

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I find Sony's solution better than Series S but and about the same as Series X.

Series S runs Xbox One S versions of current-gen games, PS5 runs PS4 Pro versions of current-gen games.
Series S is running One S games with added enhancements, you can probably expect them to sometimes look as good as and maybe better than PS4 Pro enhanced titles, just not at 4K.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY

Series S runs Xbox One S versions of current-gen games, PS5 runs PS4 Pro versions of current-gen games.
There aren't many PS4 boosted titles so its only a handful of PS4 games that will run on the profile on PS5. PS4 pro "could" force the boost but it just make them run slightly better.

XsS will run all Xbox One games with better resolution (1440p) and better frame rates as far as going from 30fps to 60fps by bruteforcing it.

MS has the best solution on both S/X.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
It is possible that the frame pacing will fix itself because the internal calculations are much faster. If I remember correctly, DF has proven that the PS4 Pro boost mode actually made the frame pacing better in Bloodborne, even though the game still remained at 30FPS.
It was NX gamer that did a video irc. About 25% less frame pacing issue than ps4. Frame pacing also happen when cpu couldn't keep up with gpu, so faster hardware will help. People love Bloodborne so I think Sony should really hire Qloc to port the game over to the latest From Engine(sekiro) and it will benefit tremendously. TAA, HDR, 60fps etc, the game doesn't even require any assets upgrade, simple A. I upscale texture should suffice.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Series S improves framerate and loading on ALL games.. not "select" games though
I think select games is there since some games won't see any improvements. If a game was already locked at 30 or 60 how would they improve it. They would be lying if they said all games had improvements.

dom

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There aren't many PS4 boosted titles so its only a handful of PS4 games that will run on the profile on PS5. PS4 pro "could" force the boost but it just make them run slightly better.

XsS will run all Xbox One games with better resolution (1440p) and better frame rates as far as going from 30fps to 60fps by bruteforcing it.

So much is wrong with this post. Try again

Oct 27, 2017
Series S improves framerate and loading on ALL games.. not "select" games though
That Digital Foundry thread also said select One S games. "We made it easy for existing Xbox One S games to be updated to run with double the frame-rate when played on Series S as well. When games are updated, existing games can query to determine whether they're running on the new console."
Shorter loading times is a given since it's an SSD but the games still need to be updated to get full advantage and not all thousands of games on Xbox are getting updated, same as on PlayStation.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

Aren't they using this term incase the odd game doesn't work?

This is essentially PS5 boost mode.
What's wrong with what I said? They spoke about original and 360 games.
"We designed the Series S to enhance the Xbox One S games in a way that the Xbox One X can't do," system architect Andrew Goossen tells us. "We made it easy for existing Xbox One S games to be updated to run with double the frame-rate when played on Series S as well. When games are updated, existing games can query to determine whether they're running on the new console. And in terms of the performance, the Series S provides well over double the effective CPU and GPU performance over the Xbox One, making it pretty straightforward for the games to do this. And in fact, the Series S GPU runs the Xbox One S games with better performance than the Xbox One X."

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
In the case of BC, there are just a few games that won't work. I think the "Select" phrasing is different though in terms of boosted performance. I.e. Almost all games will be compatible, but fewer than that will receive various degrees of boosted performance.

I would imagine the SSD should help every game with loading times though.

They pretty much confirmed BC for majority PS4 games. I would be surprised if boost mode doesn't increase the load times, frame-rate and dynamic resolution on PS5.

I hope they manage to increase the Anisotropic Filtering for BC games.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
So much is wrong with this post. Try again

What does the below from MS mean to you?

We designed the Series S to enhance the Xbox One S games in a way that the Xbox One X can't do," system architect Andrew Goossen tells us. "We made it easy for existing Xbox One S games to be updated to run with double the frame-rate when played on Series S as well. When games are updated, existing games can query to determine whether they're running on the new console. And in terms of the performance, the Series S provides well over double the effective CPU and GPU performance over the Xbox One, making it pretty straightforward for the games to do this. And in fact, the Series S GPU runs the Xbox One S games with better performance than the Xbox One X."

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I could be wrong, but we still don't know if actual PS4 games can be patched for full PS5 mode of operation.

I think that in all those cases you listed are just cross-buy titles, where PS4 game owners get access to a completely different PS5 app download.

Even with Witcher 3, owners will get PS5 W3 Complete edition. Cyberpunk 2077 owners will get some future PS5 C2077 GOTY edition. I would not be suprised if Doom Eternal upgrade is a standalone PS5 version.

You're conflating two things, I was responding to the question of what the PS4 to PS5 digital copy thing meant and that's specifically the games that are getting actual PS5 releases beyond just a "patch". These are two entirely separate versions of the game, you're just getting the PS5 version for free with some titles (the ones I listed) and not with others (Spider-Man: Remastered).

Without patching there are PS4 games that will run at the full PS5 clock speeds, mainly every game released after July 2020. This is a mandate by Sony, those titles must natively support running on PS5, just like there was a cut-off for PS4 games that every title must run natively on PS4 Pro even if there were no "enhancements". They still run at the full PS4 Pro clocks and not just with boost mode which was limited. Mark Cerny said there are games that will run fine at the PS5 mode, and there are games that will have to be locked to the PS4 Pro mode, that's what all of the backwards compatibility testing is for. This is not the same as games that are coming out with a PS5 box on the shelves, this is the PS4/PS4 Pro code running at PS5 clock speeds with no other adjustments. That's what this topic is all about.

What we do not know is if for example there is a game that does not work in PS5 mode for backwards compatability, for the sake of example lets say Yakuza 6. [Note this is not confirmed this is just an example calm down Era]. Let's say Yakuza 6 is tested by engineers and when the PS5 is running at PS5 clocks some mini-game breaks and the game crashes and this is a consistent issue. But running the game on the PS4 Pro mode reduces the clock speed to match PS4 Pro's, which Yakuza 6 supports, and the mini-game works as intended and there are no crashes. Can Sega patch Yakuza 6 in the future to fix this issue and certify the game as one that functions properly in PS5 clocks mode? That's what we don't know, and honestly it's fairly unlikely many devs/pubs are going to fund patches to get these games working that way.

edit: what I said above was based on the GPU/CPU running in a PS4/Pro mode. I guess they could flex that around a bit and we could see minor improvements to games where they didn't meet their target frame rates but still, feel like we're seeing PS4 Pro mode advertised as a PS5 feature.
Yes, that's exactly what they're doing. Except the boost mode is for up to the full PS5 CPU and GPU clocks, not the PS4 Pro clocks. This was specifically detailed in Mark Cerny's PS5 presentation. Backwards compatibility has 3 modes, we've known this since March.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Series S is running One S games with added enhancements, you can probably expect them to sometimes look as good as and maybe better than PS4 Pro enhanced titles, just not at 4K.
Better than the Pro version running One S profile?
"We designed the Series S to enhance the Xbox One S games in a way that the Xbox One X can't do," system architect Andrew Goossen tells us. "We made it easy for existing Xbox One S games to be updated to run with double the frame-rate when played on Series S as well. When games are updated, existing games can query to determine whether they're running on the new console. And in terms of the performance, the Series S provides well over double the effective CPU and GPU performance over the Xbox One, making it pretty straightforward for the games to do this. And in fact, the Series S GPU runs the Xbox One S games with better performance than the Xbox One X."
These would require patches, no? It doesn't talk about resolution, just the potential to increase frame-rate. Which is good of course.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Did God of War have an uncapped framerate on the Pro? I never got the mid-gen refresh so I legit don't know.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
it will be slightly better. there were still frame drops on the pro
You're probably confusing framedrops with issues with framepacing. Iirc the framedrops were gone in Bloodborne on the Pro, but the pacing issues remained. The chances of that being ironed out on the PS5 without additional work by a developer are slim.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very curious to see the performance modes for Jedi Fallen Order and Infamous SS on PS5.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It got cut off in the screenshot, but they just mean that when inserting the PS4 disc on a PS5, you'll download the Digital version of the PS5 game (as the PS4 disc has no data for the PS5 version), but you'll still need to keep the disc inserted to play it. Digital Edition is a separate menu and they confirm you can only play digital PS4 games there.
Thanks. That makes a lot more sense.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Will be interesting to see how ps4 games run without any patches.
Even with CPU running with identical clocks, there should be change in performance.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wait. This can't be right. If a game is capped in the code at 30 it'll stay 30. There's no bruteforcing through that, and even if there was that would break a lot of games.

Is there a source on this?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Enhanced and non enhanced games should see an increase in target frame-rate, dynamic resolution and loading. That's just normal boost like the one found on Pro or Xbox One X.
I don't know if Sony is optimising some games selectively for PS5 hardware.

When did they say all One S games will run at 1440p on Series S?

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Does anyone know if we'll be able to buy PS4 titles digitally on PS5? I know the answer is likely yes but I'm a little confused lol