• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if it was posted before. Beta Kokiri Forest running:

All itens high res renders:
Ed43henWAAEXH-Q

Except the Master Sword oddly.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
This is just the Kanji for Monday to Sunday in Japanese. I fail to see how this confirms 7 days? I can see if they found some sprites saying "Dawn of the Fourth Day"
We already knew that Majora's Mask was originally planned to have 7 days but was cut down:

www.polygon.com

The three-day timer in Majora's Mask was originally set for a week

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is distinctive within the franchise for being a tricky title that hinges on reliving the same three days over again, but the game's timer was originally set for...

Iwata Asks

Iwata
You needed a completely new idea to make something in such a short turnaround like one year, and that was the "Three-Day System".

Aonuma
Right. But at first, it was one week.

Iwata
Three days was originally one week?

Aonuma
That's right. But when you returned to the first day it was like "Do I have to go through an entire week again...", so we thought three days would be just right.

Iwata
Wait, it got decided just like that? (laughs)

Aonuma
(laughs) In this game the townspeople do different things each day and many different things happen, but when the timespan becomes a week, that's just too much to remember. You can't simply remember who's where doing what on which day.

Iwata
Moreover, you probably wouldn't have been able to make it in a year if you were aiming to make a game filled with so much content for seven days.

Aonuma
Right, we never would have been able to do it. We felt it would be best to make it a three-step process, and we compressed all sorts of things we had planned for over a week into three days.

Iwata
That's how it led to the game feeling like it's packed to the gills with content. You squished all sorts of ideas you were originally planning to use in a week into only three days.

Aonuma
I think so.

If it's not from Majora's Mask, maybe Animal Crossing 64?

Jun 29, 2020
Just got here and this is so fascinating and exciting. OOT and MM still have this glorious mystique to them and I fucking love seeing this temp stuff pulled out. This thread is long and hard to follow, are all the assets in one place to view in one place for a dummy like me yet?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Just got here and this is so fascinating and exciting. OOT and MM still have this glorious mystique to them and I fucking love seeing this temp stuff pulled out. This thread is long and hard to follow, are all the assets in one place to view in one place for a dummy like me yet?
The post in 4chan typically has a archived history of what threads to follow. And there's a pastebin you can look into, as well as a Google Doc overview document you can read to peer those contents.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now that we're getting all the Mario 64 stuff out of the way I hope in the future we get the 2001 Space World build of Sunshine.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
We already knew that Majora's Mask was originally planned to have 7 days but was cut down:

www.polygon.com

The three-day timer in Majora's Mask was originally set for a week

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is distinctive within the franchise for being a tricky title that hinges on reliving the same three days over again, but the game's timer was originally set for...

Iwata Asks

If it's not from Majora's Mask, maybe Animal Crossing 64?
That was definitely for the best, to pack the three days with content. It's intriguing how many memorable aspects of Majora's Mask were entirely down to the scant year they had for development time (reusing many models from OOT made Termina a mirror world instead of just a new place, the three day format instead of seven, etc). A lot of it contributed to the surreal tone, I do wonder what the game would be like if they had two years instead.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
We're never gonna definitively know what it says.
Isn't this the point where we need to use ESRGAN?

www.resetera.com

AI Neural Networks being used to generate HQ textures for older games (You can do it yourself!)

Credit to Christian Ledig, Lucas Theis, Ferenc Huszar, Jose Caballero, Andrew Cunningham, Alejandro Acosta, Andrew Aitken, Alykhan Tejani, Johannes Totz, Zehan Wang, Wenzhe Shi/Arxiv on their paper about Photo-Realistic Single Image Super-Resolution Using a Generative Adversarial Network. I...

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Hope we get some Twilight Princess beta stuff later on... that's the last game that had the same air of mystery for me as OOT, Mario 64, Banjo etc.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Someone found there's a spriting software developed in-house by Nintendo, similar to GraphicsGale.

It's located inside the Super Mario Advance directory, and it's called "SCad.exe". The application dates back to at least 1999, and can open proprietary graphics files used with SNES, GB, GBC, and GBC games.

1595822029391.png

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Dr. Mario in Japanese is pretty cool to see.

Strange how it was presumably started in Japanese --> Not released in Japan --> Then localized and released only in America. Do we know the story behind that?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Someone found there's a spriting software developed in-house by Nintendo, similar to GraphicsGale.

It's located inside the Super Mario Advance directory, and it's called "SCad.exe". The application dates back to at least 1999, and can open proprietary graphics files used with SNES, GB, GBC, and GBC games.

1595822029391.png

By the way, this means it's cool and all, but we can't really use it. If you do use it, that's actual grounds for suing. Nothing can be made with this and sold or used in any project.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA