• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
This thread is too long to search and it's probably been posted but for those who haven't seen check this out:

Nah homie, we live in a fucking simulation. I'm convinced now.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Is L really real when he was cut and is nowhere to be found in the final game? It isn't like we didn't know that he was in the game in the early stages. It is cool that his cut model was found but it doesn't REALLY mean that he is in Mario 64.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
XkWqlel.png

Looks like some pretty major changes were made fairly late into development. This beta version of Kokiri Forest still existed in a build that had the final Link model and HUD.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
XkWqlel.png

Looks like some pretty major changes were made fairly late into development. This beta version of Kokiri Forest still existed in a build that had the final Link model and HUD.
I've always wanted to see what this one looked like, seeing how the only screenshot of it seems to be a very low quality one. Can't wait to explore this soon!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
This is getting murky. AFIAK the Luigi model was found/reassembled but what we're looking at are existing fan mods that people are dropping him into.

this is him being dropped into mario 64-- someone got it running on real hardware.

is this a jojo reference?

the game was originally designed to have a split-screen mode. i think this is from a hack though because nothing i've seen has indicated the split-screen engine is anywhere in these (incomplete) source files.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The complete version of SMB5 is Yoshi's Island ;)
You mean Super Mario World 2 ? We got that.
Seriously? It's available on NSO now. No need to pay full price.

Oh I know this, I still have my original cartridge even! I was just saying I would love to play a "complete" version of Yoshi's Island with the beta HUD, beta levels and all the beta-assets including the map :P

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
One thing I wouldn't mind seeing from this leak is the early mario fx demo that got pitched.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some of these leaks are genuinely insane. Shout outs to Luigi in SM64, that "Super Donkey" prototype for Yoshi's Island and how its stomp (with the clouds with faces shooting out the sides) being used decades later for the shoe powerups in Mario Maker 2, and the scrapped Star Fox 2 portraits.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Man the hours I used to spend screenshotting assets from emulated Zeldas and photoshopping then onto transparent backgrounds for my fansite - I would have killed for this stuff!

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
in the newer "other.zip," there's a curious collection of tightly zoomed photos of bicycles and cherries. these are dumped into the same folder as promotional Nintendo images/videos (only for released products) and one apparent prototype GBA-shaped cartridge with a glowing LED board sticking out, code-named "ntr-apc-led-x2."

the bike/cherry photos are undated, so it's unclear when they were taken, or if they were used to test general camera compression or something else. I'm tempted to believe they were art-reference images, but the rest of the archive revolves around engineering and marketing, so that doesn't seem likely.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
in the newer "other.zip," there's a curious collection of tightly zoomed photos of bicycles and cherries. these are dumped into the same folder as promotional Nintendo images/videos (only for released products) and one apparent prototype GBA-shaped cartridge with a glowing LED board sticking out, code-named "ntr-apc-led-x2."

the bike/cherry photos are undated, so it's unclear when they were taken, or if they were used to test general camera compression or something else. I'm tempted to believe they were art-reference images, but the rest of the archive revolves around engineering and marketing, so that doesn't seem likely.

It's just strange. Also the video with throwing frisbee to a dog.

Oct 25, 2017
México
If I were Nintendo, I would release some sort of Beta/Museum app for Nintendo Switch Online subscribers. It could feature:

• Unreleased artwork
  • Unreleased 3D models
  • Uncompressed music
  • Manuals, box-arts, promotional material
  • Developer notes
  • Playable incomplete games

What's stopping them? The money is on the table.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
If I were Nintendo, I would release some sort of Beta/Museum app for Nintendo Switch Online subscribers. It could feature:

• Unreleased artwork
  • Unreleased 3D models
  • Uncompressed music
  • Developer notes

We can't even get GB games on the Switch, and you want them to actually add a museum of some sorts to NSO? Nice to dream I guess.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's a repurposed beta castle town, but a separate town track all together.

" We also made a big city track, with a castle, and a nice pond, where you got to race around all these different houses and buildings. Unfortunately, it was a very large map, and it took too much time to race through. So we cut it. "

from http://shmuplations.com/mariokart64/
Crazy how much stuff lines up with interviews.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'd love if Nintendo were to do a Hyrule Historia-esque series of books that went in depth on the development history for their big titles. That seems like the closest way we'd legitimately get some of this information, lol.

Or even just a series like this, where they show off footage of old builds interspersed into interviews, and reveal that the Giant's Lair wasn't anywhere near as cool as you dreamt it was:

convo

Oct 25, 2017

• Unreleased artwork
  • Unreleased 3D models
  • Uncompressed music
  • Developer notes

Seeing as people are salvaging busted up data, curating what's actually good or of interest would be hard and Nintendo doesn't want to spend their time with thrown away concepts. Music and sound effects are one thing, incomplete games are unplayable in the state they are and need more than a little work to be playable and much more importantly to Nintendo presentable. Star Fox 2 was mostly done so that didn't need work to the extend these leaks would require.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I would kill for a SGI style Wave Race. Even a reboot of the first game. Same gelatinous water but clean with the SGI styled characters. Would be so great.

Oct 25, 2017
Has this beta environment from Ocarina of Time been found? I remember staring at these screenshots in Nintendo Power or EGM back in the day, and this forest looked so mysterious and amazing.
XTL0Idd.png