• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet, but it looks like OoT's Castle Town has been found. It was repurposed to be a track in Mario Kart 64 but was was then still cut for being too big.
I don't think it's a repurposed beta castle town, but a separate town track all together.

" We also made a big city track, with a castle, and a nice pond, where you got to race around all these different houses and buildings. Unfortunately, it was a very large map, and it took too much time to race through. So we cut it. "

from http://shmuplations.com/mariokart64/

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a repurposed beta castle town, but a separate town track all together.

" We also made a big city track, with a castle, and a nice pond, where you got to race around all these different houses and buildings. Unfortunately, it was a very large map, and it took too much time to race through. So we cut it. "

from http://shmuplations.com/mariokart64/

I love that these old quotes corroborate new findings.

National Scar

Oct 27, 2017
Wait are you implying at one point there was a Zelda course in Mario Kart 64?

I don't know if I'd specifically call it a "Zelda" course, but they were trying to repurpose an asset originally designed for Zelda. There probably wouldn't have been anything designating it as being related to Zelda if it had made it into the final game.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet, but it looks like OoT's Castle Town has been found. It was repurposed to be a track in Mario Kart 64 but was was then still cut for being too big.
This stage is referenced here:

youtu.be

Mario Kart 64 - Did You Know Gaming? Feat. Dazz (N64)

SUBSCRIBE for more Mario Kart Facts ► http://bit.ly/DYKG_Subscribe Mario Kart Secrets ► https://youtu.be/UYtRtln-rLo Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares ► htt...

"There was a track that took place in a huge city with a pond and even a castle, where players raced around different kinds of houses and buildings. But Tadashi says the stage took too long to race through, so the city was scrapped. "

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'd specifically call it a "Zelda" course, but they were trying to repurpose an asset originally designed for Zelda. There probably wouldn't have been anything designating it as being related to Zelda if it had made it into the final game.
What's pointing to this being the original Castle Town and not a map specifically designed for Mario Kart?

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Just a big, quick thank you to everyone posting all these discoveries. This thread has been an absolute blast to follow.

Can't wait to see some more Beta Zelda stuff. Like others, I spent SO much time reading about that stuff as a kid.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
2exvUuo.gif

4K background animation of Super Mario Bros. 5.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
If this thread doesn't enter the hall of fame, nothing else deserves to be considered that status.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, it's been really interesting to see people dredge up all of these extremely old Zelda 64 enemy models and such. Never thought I'd get to see those old Octorocks in such clarity.

now if only, so people could finally shut up about it lol

jy70Efv.jpg

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
every bit of Zelda 64 mystery to rest assure

The cut dungeons from wind water would be interesting to see. We know they got repurposed in another game but Nintendo has never said which.

Anything from Super Mario 128?

Mario 128 is a tech demo for GameCube. It was never a game. Nintendo showed it off along with other demos.
There was a mario 64 expansion for the DD but it never got far into development according to miyamoto.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been going through the manuals, and it's seemingly all fully compatible with the latest versions of Illustrator.
Which makes me wonder why Nintendo stopped with the original .pdf files on the WiiU N64 VC and ended up going with scans later on.
Just look at how crazy good this looks!

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Last edited: