• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Do these little ghosts and Blooper start appearing on the released version of SF2? Still haven't played it.

Och0RJg.png

The rom is dated 1994-08-31 for what it's worth.
The CES named one (dated 1995-01-24) won't load for me, but perhaps someone will get it to work.
Oh, I'm pretty sure those are all Link's Awakening sprites, it looks like the Zelda version of the Blooper, plus a Ghini and Anti-Kirby. They definitely don't appear when playing the final game.

I did a quick check on TCRF ( https://tcrf.net/Proto:Star_Fox_2 ) to see if the graphics were at least included in the final game or in any of the other betas, didn't see them.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Oh, I'm pretty sure those are all Link's Awakening sprites, it looks like the Zelda version of the Blooper, plus a Ghini and Anti-Kirby. They definitely don't appear when playing the final game.

I did a quick check on TCRF ( https://tcrf.net/Proto:Star_Fox_2 ) to see if the graphics were at least included in the final game or in any of the other betas, didn't see them.
Looks like they just started adding info about the new prototypes as they have links for the same build dates I gave earlier but no text yet. Will keep an eye on that!

Also found a third SF2 rom that seems like the final. Intro and everything matches up to a video I watched of the SNES Classic edition.
Dated 1995-09-21

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I love the look of the SGI Art so much from that era. Be it DKC or in these cases Mario 64 and Lylat Wars - it's crazy to think that we finally hit a console generation that could produce that kind of lighting and look in real time.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if several gigs are not game assets or any kind of production files, but straight up corporate espionage.
That's essentially what much of this already is. It contains localization notes, code notes, personal comments and emails, alongside all these assets. And all these ideas from unused and unfinished projects can even be used against Nintendo. If someone sees an idea they like from them, they can patent it and prevent Nintendo from using their own idea.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading that everything leaked so far has come from analyzing only about 100GB of the 2TB of files that were leaked?

Holy shit.

Wow that really puts things in perspective. There's so much valuable stuff we could potentially still get like pokemon gen 5 leaks, earthbound 64, and even later gen stuff like gamecube and wii leaks. We've already got D/P leaks too so more DS leaks are probably coming.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
I'm reading that everything leaked so far has come from analyzing only about 100GB of the 2TB of files that were leaked?

Holy shit.
There's gonna be a veritable shit ton more stuff that drops, though I wonder if that will slow down after a point because the size of stuff is gonna be much larger in later gens.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Just saw that a part of the leak had a Nintendo developer agreement "last updated November 2016", and now stuff for 3DS and Wii U games is coming out.

Oh shit.

Jun 2, 2019
Just saw that a part of the leak had a Nintendo developer agreement "last updated November 2016", and now stuff for 3DS and Wii U games is coming out.

Oh shit.

Weeeeeeeeell

This can be VERY interesting in a different way. Hopefully we'll see anything about some cancelled deals and such, maybe something about the unprecedented partnership? That's my personal holy grail

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wonder if there'll be remnants of a Mother 3 localisation somewhere in all of that data.

anyway, anything interesting found for Animal Crossing? It's was in a list of leaked N64 stuff but no ones posted anything.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm crying. This stuff is so good. I'm sad that Nintendo was hacked like this, but all of these things we would never have access to...my goodness. Just uncompressed files of audio and PR images just throws me back to my childhood.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I love the look of the SGI Art so much from that era. Be it DKC or in these cases Mario 64 and Lylat Wars - it's crazy to think that we finally hit a console generation that could produce that kind of lighting and look in real time.
I would love a game that actually looks like these SGI graphics. They look so strange and surreal, their odd lighting schema mixed with the smoothness of the CGI. It's something that was so ubiquitous in marketing at the time but, as graphics advanced, we never really got an accurate in-game depiction of.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I would love a game that actually looks like these SGI graphics. They look so strange and surreal, their odd lighting schema mixed with the smoothness of the CGI. It's something that was so ubiquitous in marketing at the time but, as graphics advanced, we never really got an accurate in-game depiction of.

Something about the Lost Kingdom level in Mario Odyssey really reminds me of the old school SGI rendering style. The plasticky/waxy tree models and overall dusky colour scheme evoke it for me.

mario-odyssey-jungle-diddy-kong-110617.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean that an OoT PC port like the Mario 64 one is possible?

The OOT source that is currently available in this leak is not usable. It has been stripped of most of the code.

If a later leak came out that had the full version of the source, yes that would be possible.

Would it be from legal challenges? No.

The same team that did the Mario 64 decompile are working on other N64 games. I would wait for them to come out with something rather than wait for something usable from a leak.

-edit-

Mods might want to update the pinned messages or the threadmarks to explain what this stuff is because this question is clearly going to come up a lot when the thread title includes the words 'OOT source leaked'.

Last edited:

carmofin

Nov 15, 2017
I'll be honest, I don't feel too bad for Nintendo. These games are fundamental parts of our cultural herritage and have reached so much widespread relevance that I almost consider all this stuff public property. I've felt about software this way for a long time, there comes a point, after decades, when it should move into public hands.
Think about how we find out how capcom, konami or square treat their stuff. It just ends up in some garbage bin. Literally.
God bless Nintendo for treating their work with respect, but as far as I'm concerned it would just be a matter of time until all of this stuff is lost to the ages anyway. Meanwhile, for some people, it means the world.
That being said, not so cool about all the internal emails and business strategies leaked. Thankfully the Switch-era seems to be somewhat of a clear cut, so I really hope for Nintendo that nothing from that has leaked at all. They really wouldn't deserve that.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
So, if I understand this correctly, all of this is from iQue's massive data breach?
The thing is though, would chinese Nintendo's distributor really have super details data going as far as NES prototypes?

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Wait, if the uncompressed voice recordings for Star Fox 64 are available, why did Nintendo re-record them for the 3DS remake? They said the quality was too low in the original recordings but they sound clear to me.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017

Oh shit.

The closer we get to current day the closer we come to Nintendo's lawyers trying to shut all this down. Diving deep into the past is one thing, but there could easily be info there that applies to current games or business relationships.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, if the uncompressed voice recordings for Star Fox 64 are available, why did Nintendo re-record them for the 3DS remake? They said the quality was too low in the original recordings but they sound clear to me.
The samples were recorded in what seems a room without sound-dampening, lots of echo.

Probably that was going to be very noticable in the 3DS, unlike the original hardware.

This game code request form is... something

XDn11Y6.png
"How do Wii contact you?" lmao