• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, sadly looks like this new leak even though it's huge, it's mostly useless.

Most of the source code has been stripped and debug files removed for most (all?) games. Only the precompiled files remain.

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
Okay so...

Like to simplify it, if I write a paper and have a folder with a rough draft and the proofread copy and the final copy I show to my professor. The folder with the older versions in is equivalent to the CVS?

It's more like the CVS repository has your essay and all the rough drafts you saved.

Edit:
Yeah, sadly looks like this new leak even though it's huge, it's mostly useless.

Most of the source code has been stripped and debug files removed for most (all?) games. Only the precompiled files remain.

Nevermind. Looks like this is only part of the CVS. It's not uncommon for repositories have be separated into chunks and to only allow certain users access to certain chunks to prevent leaks.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I should clarify that the precompiled files are valuable as they can be decompiled to be analyzed like SM64 was originally, but this is going to take a long time.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I remember poring over websites full of beta OoT screenshots - the unicorn fountain, the old Lost Woods, the equippable medallions, the full 3D Castle Town... Zelda 64 is like the most legendary "early build" of all time, I'd kill to see some of it unearthed.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Assuming this wont result in a PC port of OoT since using this leaked source code to port the game is illegal being it was written by Nintendo while the decompilation project of SM64 doesn't use actual code from Nintendo, right?

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
49ez49.jpg

Woylie

May 9, 2018
God, a PC port for OOT like the Mario 64 one would be crazy, especially with mods. People have done some wild shit with that port:

I'd love to see something like that for OOT someday.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Assuming this wont result in a PC port of OoT since using this leaked source code to port the game is illegal being it was written by Nintendo while the decompilation project of SM64 doesn't use actual code from Nintendo, right?
I don't even know if reversed-engineered code is considered to be the authors' (Nintendo) codes.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
An OoT port from this like the Mario 64 decomp one is not going to happen because it is illegal

The decomp is legal and that allows it to live on github and have any dev easily and legally do work on it

An OoT port from this leak should be done in secrecy and that means less developers will work on it

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
source code being stripped makes sense, i think Nintendo gave some team a debug rom of OOT/MM & told them to work with that instead of the source code.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
Another Super Donkey DK Sprite (and another weird monkey)

iJji6eC.png

Now we got Mario flipping the bird!

v9LEn26.png
Y'know, looking back through this thread, I find this part fascinating. Because it's only just clicked in my head really that Donkey Kong 94 -- and this emphasis on Mario's new moves -- lead directly into Super Mario 64, right? They'd have been working on that (or at least thinking about it) around that time. Hard not to see Super Donkey as the missing link in so many ways.
Well put! It jives with the reoccurring rumor that Mario 64 started live on the SNES too. I believe they flat-out denied it was a Super FX game but you can definitely see how some ideas about giving Mario new mechanics and ways to move both lead to and stemmed from this prototype.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I wont deny that its interesting but damn this is veeery illegal
All leaks pretty much are. Random developers grabbing something like the Star Fox 2 beta rom/cartridge and selling it to collectors is just as much of a crime as hacking into a database and stealing these files. This has been going on for decades. Whether that's a good thing or not is up for debate, but I personally so no issue because Nintendo themselves have no real interest in actually preserving this stuff.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
well seems like he wasn't the only one who had this stuff.
Yeah, the ex-Malwarebytes researcher distributed the leaked data to his inner circles before he was caught. His inner circles somehow planned to hold onto the data until the dust has settled (since they were on the risk of getting FBI'd)...

That's all according to the folks on 4chan from May, when the whole story was explained through 77 imageboard threads.