• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
LINK animations:

LINK1.anm
rPdWzrH.gif

LINK2.anm
D9PRDhY.gif

LINK3.anm
ewHpkN3.gif
The third is like a Russian squat dance / prisyadka

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
If you take a copyrighted game and reverse engineer how it works and then reproduce the very same game, then this is a copyright breach. It is not necessary that you also steal the source code.
No it's not, especially if the code doesn't contain original assets or a .exe. Again, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Oct 27, 2017
That's got me wondering. Is there a first party game of Nintendo's that's unreleasable due to legal issues, that isn't because they flat out don't own the IP (i.e. Popeye, SimCity, Yoshi's Cookie or the Mike Tyson version of Punch-Out)?

It seems like every one deemed to be a "problem" has been released at least once. EarthBound, Donkey Kong 64, the SuperFX games, the arcade DK and DK Jr. Were they ever problems, or is Nintendo future-proofing them by clearing any legal hurdles for rereleases?
Uniracers come to mind, unless they decide to pay Pixar royalties.

Time Twist doesn't really have legal issues, but considering the themes of the game I'm pretty sure Nintendo will never re-release it.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey so...what if we get leaks for Kirby Dream Land 3 and there's information about Shinichi Shimomura within...

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I would love to see OoT and MM ported over to PC and see what modders can do
The thing about these leaks, and this was discussed in the last thread, was how you prove to a jury or judge you didn't look at the source code when you made the "port." Remember, none of the code or assets can be from Nintendo. If such a game was made on PC, as an enthusiast you would have to obtain the assets yourself to even run the game. It's all dubious but not necessarily illegal if done right, like the Mario project.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
No it's not, especially if the code doesn't contain original assets or a .exe. Again, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Directive 2009/24/EC protects not only the specific source code, but also the design of a computer program. Therefore, you need not steal the exact source code, if you source code copies the original design it is still a copyright infringement. Moreover, Super Mario 64 does not only consist of source code, but also art assets and PC ports of Super Mario 64 include those assets naturally. But have fun putting your own assets on the reverse engineered Super Mario 64 source code and trying to sell it as your product.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Lol k, they're effectively creating an engine/skeleton and putting it on the internet. It's not illegal why are you tripping. It still hasn't been taken down has it? Even if Nintendo lawyers are building a case I'd like to see them prove the code wasn't made in a clean room. There will be a settlement, and the port will still be on the internet lol.

Edit; nope still up.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
OOT speedruns about to get more interesting?
Maybe, but I don't think it really matters that much considering some of the human performed ACE exploits depends on compile time RAM locations to perform and work done on said game.
Damn. I would love to see OoT and MM ported over to PC and see what modders can do
It's not happening with leaked source code, anything made with it is dead instantly

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Lol k, they're effectively creating an engine/skeleton and putting it on the internet. It's not illegal why are you tripping. It still hasn't been taken down has it?

Edit; nope still up.
Something being online is a very bad indicator for it being legal. They are not creating an engine, they are recreating* the Mario 64 engine, including all of its characteristic behaviour. This most definitely is not fine with Directive 2009/24/EC .

* Which in itself is pretty strong wording, it being based on a decompilation of the original product.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, but I don't think it really matters that much considering some of the human performed ACE exploits depends on compile time RAM locations to perform and work done on said game.
thats interesting, could an emulator mitigate this? Oh this would fall into the "work done on said game" category I guess.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Something being online is a very bad indicator for it being legal. They are not creating an engine, they are recreating* the Mario 64 engine, including all of its characteristic behaviour. This most definitely is not fine with Directive 2009/24/EC .

* Which in itself is pretty strong wording, it being based on a decompilation of the original product.
counter point: how will Nintendo prove that in a court of law without providing Nintendo assets and an .exe which the creators don't provide? Since you're so fond of looking up statutes I'm curious to see you explain the intricacies of such a case.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about Ocarina 2, unless it's just a second folder for Ocarina cause it was too big or something.

Also, any hints of Super Mario 128.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a sneak peek:

WVKUHyy.gif

2kXS9PI.gif

My friend on my n64 dev discord was able to figure out how to convert those .anm files for the SuperFX test models. That's probably the first ever 3D Yoshi animation ever made lol. Still working on converting the rest, will post them here.

That's really cool, been trying to find out how to convert some of these files, but no luck myself. So great that others manage so quickly!

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
counter point: how will Nintendo prove that in a court of law without providing Nintendo assets and an .exe which the creators don't provide? Since you're so fond of looking up statutes I'm curious to see you explain the intricacies of such a case.
"It is difficult to prove to be a copyright breach" is not the same as "it is no copyright breach". In principle, such a proof would have to use very specific behaviour, e.g. bugs, that are recreated and are very unlikely (in sum) to have been developed independently. In this specific case it would probably be a bit easier though because the people who did it said themselves they decompiled the original and built their recreation of the behaviour from that.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of stuff in this is downright insane. This is a massive breach.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Directive 2009/24/EC protects not only the specific source code, but also the design of a computer program. Therefore, you need not steal the exact source code, if you source code copies the original design it is still a copyright infringement.

It protects the preparatory design documents. It explicitly says that it doesn't protect what's underneath the program.

Moreover, Super Mario 64 does not only consist of source code, but also art assets and PC ports of Super Mario 64 include those assets naturally. But have fun putting your own assets on the reverse engineered Super Mario 64 source code and trying to sell it as your product.

They're distributed separately though.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Here's something I just remembered I want to see...the Jack and the Beanstalk game HAL worked on that became Pokemon Snap (and part Mother 64 too?). We know it exists but we've never seen anything of it right?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
List of roms:

1080 - 1080 Snowboarding
cba - Custom Robo
cba2 - Custom Robo 2
dm64 - Dr. Mario 64
forest - Animal Forest
mk64 - Mario Kart 64
wr64 - Wave Race 64
yoshi - Yoshi's Story
z_majora - Majora's Mask
z_ocarina - Ocarina of Time
z_ocarina2 - Ocarina of Time (Ura 64DD Expansion?)

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I like Sega leak threads better. They're not full of people lecturing about copyright or making others feel bad for simply being fascinated by work-in-progress material.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a lot of files are corrupted or missing :/

Zelda source code has lots of 0 byte files.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
With this both being SMB5 and Super Donkey at various stages and with these early DK sprites I think its best to assume (as others have stated) he would have been the antagonist of Super Donkey (Kong) and this would have been the next evolution on the series from Donkey Kong ('94) on Game Boy.

This early version of the game is SO mobility focused and the whole pitch for DK94 was "look at all these new moves Mario has" as seen in this ad:

I'm having trouble finding the NA ad but I remember it being similar.

Y'know, looking back through this thread, I find this part fascinating. Because it's only just clicked in my head really that Donkey Kong 94 -- and this emphasis on Mario's new moves -- lead directly into Super Mario 64, right? They'd have been working on that (or at least thinking about it) around that time. Hard not to see Super Donkey as the missing link in so many ways.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
THE FULL CVS FOR SUPER MARIO 64 IS IN THERE

THE OLD BETA BUILDS LIKE 1995 SHOSHINKAI CAN BE COMPILED INTO ROMS

Awesome.

All I really want are two things. DragonFly and the 1990 proto/alpha of Super Ghouls N Ghosts where the first level has a lot of different graphics/enemies.

Old build of SUPER MARIO 64 sounds awesome. I'd like that N64/64DD version of 64 Wars as well

M a k e t h e r o m s