• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Up to 40% of British people do not think those from ethnic minority backgrounds face greater discrimination than white people in areas of life such as jobs, education and access to finance, according to a poll.

The YouGov poll, shown exclusively to the Guardian, also found that between 14% and 20% of the public think white people face greater discrimination in some areas of life.
Overall, 72% of those polled thought racism existed a great deal or fair amount, 52% thought it existed "a fair amount", with 20% saying "a great deal" was present. One in five (20%) thought "not very much" racism existed in the UK.
But despite the fact that the majority of those polled believed racism existed in society, when asked whether minorities faced greater, lesser or the same level of discrimination as white people, they were most likely to say "no difference" in almost all areas of life.

First poll:
Screenshot_20181220-204828_Chrome.jpg

When things start to get dumb:
20181220_205024.jpg

More jokes:
Screenshot_20181220-205328_Chrome.jpg

For another joke:
When asked whether objecting to people speaking languages other than English in public was racist, 31% said they did not think so.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...le-do-not-face-more-discrimination?CMP=twt_gu

This shit would be funny if it wasn't so fucked up

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018
With all the out of touch Europeans on this site that claim racism is a unique American tradition, I'm not even slightly surprised lol.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm only surprised it's not 48%.

Edit: wait I mean 52%!

Reasonable margin for error

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
With all the out of touch Europeans on this site that claim racism is a unique American tradition, I'm not even slightly surprised lol.
Europe isn't a country, mate. Racism isn't a chance to point score because you get upset when your country is criticised. I do wish we could have one thread dealing with these issues without Americans doing shit like this.

Beefy , none of that OP surprises me. Honestly, I think it's because we all see the crazy American shit where half the country will defend you if you shoot a black kid walking home with skittles. The more insipid and hidden aspects of racism seem mundane by comparison so they don't get reported and when they don't get reported people know fuck all about it.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Europe isn't a country, mate. Racism isn't a chance to point score because you get upset when your country is criticised. I do wish we could have one thread dealing with these issues without Americans doing shit like this.

Beefy , none of that OP surprises me. Honestly, I think it's because we all see the crazy American shit where half the country will defend you if you shoot a black kid walking home with skittles. The more insipid and hidden aspects of racism seem mundane by comparison so they don't get reported and when they don't get reported people know fuck all about it.

Agreed, in Britain it's way more insidious. I don't know how to explain America, it's beyond a joke over there.

Oct 26, 2017
When asked whether objecting to people speaking languages other than English in public was racist, 31% said they did not think so.

Technically, that isn't racist. Maybe they are bothered when people of their race talk in other language than English!
/reaching

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty pathetic to use this as some point scoring exercise, especially given how awful America is right now for this sort of subject.

Europe is a huge place with differing attitudes and cultures from country to country so you can't really compare somewhere like that as a whole with America.

Apr 16, 2018

Never said it was a country, nor did I imply it was, yet I'm sure Europeans will come in here and downplay their historical racism some more by pretending it's only the UK lol.

Why would I be upset America is criticized for racism? I'm black. You don't know what you're talking about.

Also, thanks for proving my point.

Apr 16, 2018
Pretty pathetic to use this as some point scoring exercise, especially given how awful America is right now for this sort of subject.

Europe is a huge place with differing attitudes and cultures from country to country so you can't really compare somewhere like that as a whole with America.

Lol. America is similarly huge with a melting pot of cultures, but continue, please.

Why do y'all think I'm scoring points? As far as I'm concerned, most, if not all majority white countries are demonstrably racist. I just find it funny y'all think your racism is somehow less bad than America's because y'all are nicer about it.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.

Whooosh!

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Totalbiscuit saying that white privilege didn't exist in the UK because he came from a coal mining town. I'm not surprised that a lot of daft British people think racism is just a US phenomenon

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It's sad that I had no clue what BAME stood for, but correctly guessed that this would basically be the same thing as all the racism surveys from the US.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised in the slightest - probably a substantial overlap of those who think the country isn't racist with those who especially are. They just don't think they're racist because oh, it's 'common sense' and they're the real English, not like those fancy London sorts.

The shit some people say when they think there's no minorities in the room...

Nov 9, 2017
User Warned: Low effort post in sensitive topic thread

LOLOLOL

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Victoria Waldersee, a data journalist at YouGov, said: "The idea was to essentially try and pin down what exactly people mean when they say racism. We have a lot of discussions in society about what is and isn't racism, but those discussions can get stuck because people don't mean the same thing."

Waldersee added: "Some of these results demonstrate that people are a lot more likely to agree that racism does exist [in] one-on-one interactions, for examples interactions between strangers.

"But actually when it comes to the more institutional racism, which is discussed a lot in policy, results show opinion is still a lot more divided. People seem to think it's a one-on-one issue, instead of an institutional one."

Not surprised the people polled had disagreements about what racism/discrimination actually is. Way too many people equate racism to actions involving hate, anger, or violence/death towards a different social group while downplaying racist actions where the individuals "meant well" or "didn't mean any harm" or "had no ill intent".

Oct 27, 2017
London
I come from a migrant background and am not white. I stopped off in some little village to get lunch after going to a wedding and I felt like I got hostile treatment from people there. Like a Wild West movie when you enter the saloon and everyone stares at you. So yeah, subtle racism definitely exists here in the UK.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I actually was having a discussion with my British friends on this today (I'm an Indian immigrant in UK) and they basically said while there's some discrimination still, it's not as prevalent and that whites can get discriminated too as there are times when they won't hire a white for a job. To which I explained maybe the job itself needs a non white perspective. And I explained how reverse racism isn't a thing because of white privilege. One of them said, then what about the countries where whites are a minority? To which I said it's different because the west prides itself in being more advanced and multicultural, so it's worse when discrimination happens in the west than when it happens in a supposedly less advanced country, and that the day you can find me a country where whites are a sizeable minority and get discriminated against, like non whites are in western country is the day you can get back to me with that statement.

Infact look at the facts, there were two kinds of colonisation in the past. One where the white europeans colonised to settle which led to native population being eradicated more or less (like USA) and the other where the white europeans colonised only to benefit the homeland but not settle (like India). And it's no wonder that the country where they went to "settle" is the one that ended up being the more developed and advanced compared to the country where they didn't.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

This is an example of how you get people who visit the US for the first time and think they are going to travel from New York to Disney World by Taxi in a few hours.

The US is a huge country made up of 50 states + US territories. States/territories like Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Minnesota have just as many "differing attitudes and cultures" as any three European countries you could respond with.

Oct 29, 2017
Never said it was a country, nor did I imply it was, yet I'm sure Europeans will come in here and downplay their historical racism some more by pretending it's only the UK lol.

Why would I be upset America is criticized for racism? I'm black. You don't know what you're talking about.

Also, thanks for proving my point.
And you also don't know what you're talking about if you think I'm proving your point. Unless you disagree with my post, in which case I'm more than happy to discuss it.

That's for the contribution and putting some thought into your post, lads. Glad that topics like these are taken seriously and people take the time to shitpost.

Oct 29, 2017
Nah, you definitely did. You'll realize it one day, though.
You came in with a shitpost that has ultimately and also due to my frustration at seeing it in all these threads helped to derail the thread, I took issue with this and now you're being criptic.

Or maybe you're suggesting my reason for white British people are blind to the racism in the UK (because they don't see it and it's not reported because our media just reports how bad it is elsewhere) is incorrect. If you do disagree with that, it would be nice to at least have a reason,.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Totalbiscuit saying that white privilege didn't exist in the UK because he came from a coal mining town. I'm not surprised that a lot of daft British people think racism is just a US phenomenon

I know where he's from and it is definitely a racist area.

Oddly enough it's near where Clinton's grandfather was from.

Apr 16, 2018
You came in with a shitpost that has ultimately and also due to my frustration at seeing it in all these threads helped to derail the thread, I took issue with this and now you're being criptic.

Or maybe you're suggesting my reason for white British people are blind to the racism in the UK (because they don't see it and it's not reported because our media just reports how bad it is elsewhere) is incorrect. If you do disagree with that, it would be nice to at least have a reason,.

I'm shitposting because I, as a black man, already knew white people from other countries were racist?

This information is for y'all, not for me, broham.

Check yourself before you embarrass yourself even more.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm slightly confused by this, doesn't BAME include also Slavs in example? And much of Slavs are also white. Or aren't they considered as white in the UK?

Edit: Seems like BAME means only non-white people in the UK. I had wrong information before. Weird to have it worded like that if it doesn't include all ethnic minorities.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised at the slightest.

Yeah he's wrong, if you're white you're pretty much set as you never have defend the fact that you're British.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I'm slightly confused by this, doesn't BAME include also Slavs in example? And much of Slavs are also white. Or aren't they considered as white in the UK?
Racism against Eastern Europeans is quite a large part of the racist fuckery that goes on in the UK

The amount of hand wringing and bile spewed when our local Tesco had the temerity to add a Polish food aisle was sickening

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

As a man of slavic descent, it's a weird, nebulous thing. Like, you're generally 'white' until the conversation turns to immigration and actual integration and suddenly your kind is part of the faceless horde that is apparently reason to bail out of the EU, changing the 'character' of whatever part of town the local little Englander is getting nostalgic for. The likes of Nigel Farage's will praise eastern european countries for how they approach the refugee crisis (that is, cruelly and with tints of ethnic nationalism), while being quite serious when saying he would not want a Romanian for a neighbour.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
This is just another reminder that lots of people unironically believe that racism is over.