• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
3444.jpg

Up to a million Hindu pilgrims have gathered on the banks of the River Ganges in northern India, marking the start of a major religious festival that is taking place despite the risks of Covid infection.

Millions more are expected to descend on Haridwar in the coming weeks for Kumbh Mela, one of the world's biggest religious gatherings. Pilgrims bathe in the Ganges in the belief that the sacred waters will cleanse them of their sins.

Some pilgrims in Haridwar dismissed the threat from the virus. "India is not like Europe … when it comes to immunity we are better," said 50-year-old Sanjay Sharma. "It's really sad to see people not gathering at Kumbh in the same numbers as they would earlier … The greatest truth on Earth is death. What's the point of living with fear?"

Unesco has recognised Kumbh Mela as intangible cultural heritage. According to Hindu mythology, gods and demons fought a war over a sacred pitcher containing the nectar of immortality. Drops fell at four different locations, which now alternate as hosts.

Several other religious festivals are taking place in India this week, including the Gangasagar Mela in Kolkata, where officials expect about 15,000 people.

Madurai in the southern state of Tamil Nadu is due to host a bull-chasing carnival known as Jallikattu, where revellers grab hold of the beasts' horns as they run through crowds of people.

www.theguardian.com

Up to 1m Hindus gather in India as festival goes ahead amid Covid fears

Millions more expected to descend on Haridwar in coming weeks for Kumbh Mela despite pandemic

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Some pilgrims in Haridwar dismissed the threat from the virus. "India is not like Europe … when it comes to immunity we are better," said 50-year-old Sanjay Sharma. "It's really sad to see people not gathering at Kumbh in the same numbers as they would earlier … The greatest truth on Earth is death. What's the point of living with fear?"

Famous last words

Dec 2, 2017
"The pandemic is a bit of a worry, but we are taking all precautions," said one of the organisers, Siddharth Chakrapani

🤔

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"India is not like Europe … when it comes to immunity we are better,"

Pro Modi nuts are the equivalent to Trumpers , how they try to justify eating cow shit is something else. I remember during the beginning of the Pandemic, these Modi loyalists claimed (given their belief in race superiority) their DNA was superior to the rest of the world, hence low infection rates, despite their testing capability being almost non-existent at the time.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I think there are far deadlier things in that river than Coronavirus

One of my graduate professors was from India and he ran a class for modeling pollution in streams. One of his assignments was to simulate a burned body floating down the Ganges. He said it's a regular environmental problem in India because people use the river for funerals. He also talked about how his village was selected to be one of the major locations for the pilgrimage and he said millions of descending onto his small village felt like the end of the world.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

lol, there is a lot of that sentiment cause the governments have had the media completely shut down reporting numbers/deaths. I have to keep arguing with my parents that no, India is not a special case and that 'we don't have as many severe cases/deaths as other countries' is bullshit.

"The pandemic is a bit of a worry, but we are taking all precautions," said one of the organisers, Siddharth Chakrapani

🤔

I have come to hate that phrase. I've seen lots of people say something like 'oh we had this christmas party with a few families (but don't worry, we took precautions)'. Wtf? What precautions?

Last edited:

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This belief that Indians are more immune is also prevalent in my family in the USA.

Then my entire extended familygot COVID!

So much for that superior immunity.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
God I wish people could stop being fucking idiots about this virus for ten fucking minutes. So sick of seeing shit like this. You're not immune.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Please use a capital M for millions. I thought this was about a bunch of very, very short hindus when first reading it.

anamika

May 18, 2018
Fuck religion as usual.
lol, there is a lot of that sentiment cause the governments have had the media completely shut down reporting numbers/deaths. I have to keep arguing with my parents that no, India is not a special case and that 'we don't have as many severe cases/deaths as other countries' is bullshit.
India as well as many other developing countries in South Asia and Asia have lower fatality rates compared to US and Europe. One possible reason for this is because of the younger populations in these countries compared to richer, developed nations. People in these countries also have lower BMI on average and don't suffer from issues like obesity and other co-morbidities.

For example a coronavirus outbreak in a congested, densely packed slum in Mumbai had only 80 deaths.
www.bbc.com

How Asia's biggest slum contained the coronavirus

Mumbai's densely-packed Dharavi has tamed Covid-19 without social distancing.
www.bbc.com

India coronavirus: 'More than half of Mumbai slum-dwellers had Covid-19'

India's financial capital has so far reported more than 110,000 infections and 6,000 deaths.

Imagine more than 650,000 people spread over 2.5 grubby sq km, less than a square mile. That's a population larger than Manchester living in an area smaller than Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Eight to 10 people live together in poky 100 sq ft dwellings. About 80% of the residents use community toilets. Homes and factories coexist in single buildings lining the slum's narrow lanes. Most people are informal daily-wage workers who don't cook at home and go out to get their food. The relatively low death toll is possibly explained by the overwhelmingly young population of the slum - most infected people have been in the age group of 21 to 50 years.

The study also found that a large section of people had been infected and survived with no or little symptoms, leading to a low fatality rate in these areas - one in 1,000 to one in 2,000. This also lowers the city-wide death rate from Covid-19. And more women were found to have been exposed to infection by the virus in both slum and non-slum areas.
There are some papers published on why this could be so.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

SARS‐CoV‐2 infection in India bucks the trend: Trained innate immunity?

SARS‐CoV‐2, the causative agent of COVID‐19 pandemic caught the world unawares by its sudden onset in early 2020. Memories of the 1918 Spanish Flu were rekindled raising extreme fear for the virus, but in essence, it was the host ...

The theory is that due to Indians being exposed to diseases a lot more often than people in developed nations, their immune system does not go into overdrive to attack the coronavirus and hence is less fatal. There has been work done on cross-reactivity and certain populations possibly having an immunological head start.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Turns out it won't be a comet or aliens, but human stupidity, which will end civilization.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck religion as usual.

India as well as many other developing countries in South Asia and Asia have lower fatality rates compared to US and Europe. One possible reason for this is because of the younger populations in these countries compared to richer, developed nations. People in these countries also have lower BMI on average and don't suffer from issues like obesity and other co-morbidities.

For example a coronavirus outbreak in a congested, densely packed slum in Mumbai had only 80 deaths.
www.bbc.com

How Asia's biggest slum contained the coronavirus

Mumbai's densely-packed Dharavi has tamed Covid-19 without social distancing.
www.bbc.com

India coronavirus: 'More than half of Mumbai slum-dwellers had Covid-19'

India's financial capital has so far reported more than 110,000 infections and 6,000 deaths.

There are some papers published on why this could be so.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

SARS‐CoV‐2 infection in India bucks the trend: Trained innate immunity?

SARS‐CoV‐2, the causative agent of COVID‐19 pandemic caught the world unawares by its sudden onset in early 2020. Memories of the 1918 Spanish Flu were rekindled raising extreme fear for the virus, but in essence, it was the host ...

The theory is that due to Indians being exposed to diseases a lot more often than people in developed nations, their immune system does not go into overdrive to attack the coronavirus and hence is less fatal. There has been work done on cross-reactivity and certain populations possibly having an immunological head start.

Huh, this is actually surprising. Thanks for the info.

The cynical part of me assumed they were just lying about numbers.

(still not gonna tell my parents though, they are both diabetic...)

anamika

May 18, 2018
Huh, this is actually surprising. Thanks for the info.

The cynical part of me assumed they were just lying about numbers.

(still not gonna tell my parents though, they are both diabetic...)
Personally, given the population density, generally poor hygiene, poor health infrastructure, crowded conditions where social distancing is just not possible, I thought India would get totally fucked after the virus got there. That it has not, has taken me by surprise.

And no don't tell your parents! This is just theorizing and initial studies right now. We need a lot of research to confirm all this.
Better to be safe till they get the vaccine.