• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
The recent thread about mean spirit moments in tv show had a discussion about a episode of Tom & Jerry where it ends with Tom being beheaded for failing to catch Jerry. While this happen offscreen with a silhouette, it still a pretty dark moment in a otherwise goofy show about a mouse using objects to hurt the cat.

One that I thought of that just felt pretty out of place is in Ant-Man, the Marvel movie which are all pretty family friendly enough to be on D+. In that movie the main villain kills another employee in his company by shrinking him while they were cleaning up in the bathroom, with him suddenly just a tiny bloody smear on the floor which he throws into the toilet.

I imagine a lot of Doctor Who entries will appear in this thread since that show tends to have some nasty deaths, like the episode with the aliens who look like wall art of humans.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it was too friendly of a movie but in the first Captain America movie there was that one guy who flew into the propeller of the airplane and died.

I think something similar happened again in The Winter Soldier where Bucky throws a guy into the engine of one of those modern jet planes. Just gruesome deaths.

I was hoping for another airplane propeller death in Civil war.

OP
OP
Rirse

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Do you count Roger Rabbit as family friendly ? Because DAMN that movie

It's on D+ like Ant-Man and Captain America, so yes!

I wouldn't say it was too friendly of a movie but in the first Captain America movie there was that one guy who flew into the propeller of the airplane and died.

I think something similar happened again in The Winter Soldier where Bucky throws a guy into the engine of one of those modern jet planes. Just gruesome deaths.

I was hoping for another airplane propeller death in Civil war.

Not it also the most family friendly movie either (but on D+ again so I count it), but Midnight gets turned into a bloody mist in Infinity War.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
ShyDismalImperialeagle-size_restricted.gif

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this counts, although his battery does go out, but Johnny 5 getting the shit beaten out of him and being left on the street to die in Short Circuit 2 was maybe the most traumatizing thing I'd ever seen.

I mean, his eye fucking pops out of his socket and he loses an arm.

Edit: throwing in a link so we can all watch in horror.

Last edited:

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this counts, although his battery does go out, but Johnny 5 getting the shit beaten out of him and being left on the street to die in Short Circuit 2 was maybe the most traumatizing thing I'd ever seen.

Don't forget the entire time he's basically pleading for his life. Just a completely disturbing scene.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017

He got better.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
The doctor massacre in Spider-Man 2. Definitely disturbed me as a kid. Sam Raimi going full Sam Raimi.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
When Darren Cross kills that one Pym Technologies guy in the bathroom in the first Ant-Man film, by shrinking him with Pym particles and squishing him. For a kid friendly Marvel movie, it seemed pretty dark.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
This scene from Superman 3 scared me really badly as a kid. Looking at it now, I don't really know why. But it did.

JC317

May 29, 2018
In the first Agent Cody Banks movie, the main villain dies by ingesting an ice cube filled with nanobots, which proceed to devour him from the inside.

We only see the beginning of the process, which luckily doesn't become too gruesome, but that scene still terrified me as a kid...

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
This is in a video game, but... gonna say it counts anyway.

A Dog's Life for the PS2. Timestamped at 10:02.

The TV version of this is King of the Hill's Pigmalion.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017

Holy. Shit.

My buddy and I discuss this scene at least a couple times a year. Shit was fucked. Johnny Five definitely did NOT feel alive here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The original 1980's Transformers Movie. Bonus points so many of the characters were ones that kids knew for years before hand. Ironside for instance gets blasted down, then crawls to Megatron before blasting him straight in his face.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Doctor Who, season 22 is probably the most violent season of the show ever, from acid bath death to hand bleeding from being crushed by a cyberman.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
These two are good ones. I think Superman III is the best choice because it's definitely a family film. Roger Rabbit isn't for kids.

It's a completely innocent bystander. It has no way to fight back. And that final, thousand-yard stare when it realises: this is it. I'm dead.

This scene from Superman 3 scared me really badly as a kid. Looking at it now, I don't really know why. But it did.

For me, it's because it's not clear she's actually dead. She was fully conscious while the machine converted her body, and whatever's left of her is trapped in there.

Last edited:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the Brave Little Toaster having some fucked up shit in it. Like these appliances that were alive getting crushed and gutted or something like that.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the live action Jungle Book, there's a scene where a guy is buried alive in quicksand. Gross and terrifying, even for me as an adult now.

Frankly, the whole movie was a bit much for a PG rating, but it was one of my favorites.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The scientist lady in Shazam of recent stuff.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Zara's death in Jurassic World. A shockingly cruel way to kill such a minor character who did pretty much nothing.

That's some shit you would save for the main villain or something.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
Zara's death in Jurassic World. A shockingly cruel way to kill such a minor character who did pretty much nothing.

That's some shit you would save for the main villain or something.

I immediately though of this too, I jsut remember feeling really umcomfortable with this scene when I saw it in theatres

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Revenge of the sith has a lot, if that counts. Which I mean it does, it's star wars.
I remember a big deal being made out of it getting a pg-13 rating, and iirc before that I had discovered that all the SWs before it were merely rated pg. That shocked me because there are multiple things I thought would put the series over the edge like the several decapitations and the cutting off of limbs, I guess you could get away with alot when theres no blood.

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the Brave Little Toaster having some fucked up shit in it. Like these appliances that were alive getting crushed and gutted or something like that.

Has a whole song sequence about cars being smashed, including a truck in the end who acts borderline suicidal.

But the part that screwed me up as a kid was the angry air conditioner. You can easily find that on YouTube too. I'd post both but I'm on mobile and it's kind of a pain.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
It's a wonder that the The Brave Little Toaster didn't create a generation of hoarders, because fuck.

Awful as a kid, I kind disliked Short Circuit 2 in part because of this.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017

The death of Rourke in Atlantis the Lost Empire really stuck with me for some reason. Like wtf happened to him?

•79•

Banned
Sep 22, 2018
South West London, UK
I don't think the guy was killed but the test pilot in Ironman 2 whose knockoff iron man suit spun a 180 at the waist snapping his back in the process was so tonally off that carried through the whole movie for me.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
Yeah, the Jungle Book is what I thought of when I saw the thread title. And it wasn't even just the quicksand scene; that whole movie was full of really rough deaths.

What's weird is, I always remember the scene near the end with the guy getting crushed underneath the ruins as having been in The Mummy. It was tonally on par with some of the deaths in the movie, with the beetles and whatnot. And I'm just now realizing both movies were directed by the same guy, Stephen Sommers. And he also directed The Adventures of Huck Finn (1993), which had a similarly gross scene in which the villains were tarred and feathered and paraded through the town.

So I guess I can blame that one dude for pretty much all my traumatic moviegoing experiences.

I'm so glad we left that trend to die at the end of the 90s.

SuperFinal

Cinematics Designer at Playground Games
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
I remember Krull being loaded with these moments. Haven't seen it in 30 odd years, but I still get vivid memories of the friendly cyclops being squished in a doorway.