• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its amusing to see the reactions here because whenever Death Stranding wins, the narrative is that its unique and games that step away from the norm should be recognized in the industry. No game encapsulates that more than the winner in this case. I guess its more important for a goty to be AAA than anything else.
and that's just tea!

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
......like picking Mario Kart World Tour over every other racing game released in 2019?
Devs are not these god chosen entities which opinions are law and incontestable. They have better insight than most people here for being in the industry of course but that doesnt make their opinions about the medium as a product for the consumer inherently better or superior.
that's why consumers have their own awards and devs have theirs.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I can't tell if some reactions here are purposely dense or just unaware how great Untitled Goose Game is, and how refreshing it was to play. Makes sense that devs that make cookie cutter games would love a game like this.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Huh. I thought Game of the Year is about the fun and enjoyment people get out of a game, rather then how pretty or Triple A the game is?

If the VGA's are anything to go off people loved the UGG segement more then the Death Stranding moment.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
*Sekiro and Resident Evil not winning a single award*

Worst award show ever. Disgusting even.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I still don't really get the fanfare around this game. It was amusing for a few hours, but didn't really leave a lasting impression for me.

Should have been Disco Elysium.

AndrewDean84

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
It was my GOTY as well.

The weekend I spent playing the game with my family was one of the happiest times of my life.
Yup. We spent a weekend too, trolling a small community as a fucking goose! It's simply an amazing experience.

Nothing for Outer Wilds is criminal. Some people don't know a good thing if it's starting at them right in their faces.

Goose Game for GOTY is just... A meme award for a meme game.
The irony.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
You know that a game about a goose is successful when it is already spreading chaos on Resetera.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
it really isnt. the people making these calls have been in the industry for years and some decades. they've seen it all, so a game where you play as a goose is breath of fresh-air for everyone involved, especially when you've been working on shooty-man project #10000000.
Which is another issue one can raise: shorter, less involving titles have better chances to get played and leave an impression on a developer who is likely in a middle of crunch. Honestly, i never looked into who's eligible to vote in DICE awards.

And what do you base this impression off of? The game was in development for almost 3 years and saw a few delays. I can imagine getting the dynamic soundtrack alone to work seamlessly was a difficult undertaking.
From my second-hand limited exposure to these titles (haven't played any of the candidates). Outer Wilds was in development for longer, for all that matters, and probably has a lot more complex systems and mechanics to build and manage.

It's ok to say you don't agree, but you're the one diminishing & trivializing the efforts & triumphs of game devs.
That's not my intention. But if i put what i know of Goose and say Outer Wilds next to each other then my impression is that there is a clear difference in the triumphs achieved between the two. This doesn't diminish what Goose did, only highlights that others did more. Can't we acknowledge this difference?

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
As much as I appreciate it, I am actually genuinely curious what criticism people are trying to get across when they use the term 'meme game'. It's a throwaway remark that I'm struggling to pin down.
I think it's mostly used in the same way walking simulator was - to disparage a product that a person isn't interested in and doesn't enjoy that it's doing well. It can be used by them to brush aside and disregard any arguments about the game's quality because to them it's obviously just a joke game and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I appreciate it, I am actually genuinely curious what criticism people are trying to get across when they use the term 'meme game'. It's a throwaway remark that I'm struggling to pin down.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I was piggybacking off its usage in this thread to highlight a game that is mostly mentioned as a meme. I wasn't calling UGG one.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Dismissing UGG as a meme game and calling Death Stranding a work of art in the same sentence, is an interesting statement.
If by interesting you mean true, then sure. Btw, I have no time for people who try to downplay the merits of Death Stranding, so if that's your angle, don't bother.

Which do you think is more worthy of accolades, a Charlie Chaplin short or Battlefield Earth?
What do you think you're saying here? Are you actually drawing a serious comparison between the games and those movies? Huh.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
What do you think you're saying here? Are you actually drawing a serious comparison between the games and those movies? Huh.

Sometimes a film or game can be superficially simple and small in scope, but be executed with sublime elegance and cleverness. Meanwhile, sometimes a passion project can be huge and ambitious and involve a massive amount of time and money and effort and still be an artistic failure.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
That still doesnt change my point that the game was everywhere thanks to the meme and not for being original (which also doesnt mean the game is bad or unoriginal - read further). People liked the game and the memes, and thats fine, but i can assure you little timmy from youtube comments wasn't honking during AGDQ cause he thought UGG was an outstanding achievement in gaming design.
This is like TLOU was only everywhere because it made people sad

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
The hatred in here is ridiculous. The game was awesome. Yeah, I'm glad Sekiro won the most awards from all the big names as it is a fucking masterpiece but I'm also okay with UGG getting one. Congrats to House House!

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I liked UGG, fun and interesting game, it deserves it. But I cant not be sad Outer Wilds didn't win :(

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of salt that UGG is getting for winning over [AAA Narrrative Experience] and similarly large-scale fare is hilarious.

House House made a brilliantly goofy little game and deserves its accolades.

Oct 25, 2017
OXeHb5E.jpg

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Lmao for this thread. The game is like perfect for what it is. Yes it is short and not a big budget title. So? This is exactly why I hate game criticism. Games have to be certain genres and usually at certain budget to get over 90 at metacritics. If we are talking about something like indie game or a puzzle game it is automatically 80 at best. Now compare that to any other critics? Is country music compared to classical music or metal music? Does only big label publishers win awards? Game criticism is ridicilous. What we have here is perfectly executed and fun, fresh, very much of a new kind of a game and it doesn't compare because it is not AAA or harcore enough.

Btw it wasn't my game of the year but one of the best certainly.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
If by interesting you mean true, then sure. Btw, I have no time for people who try to downplay the merits of Death Stranding, so if that's your angle, don't bother.
Ah so it's okay for you to downplay one game because it's not made for you, but the moment your game is criticized then all discussion is off limits.

Totally cool thing to do.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Goose isn't a meme game, its a game that had tons of memes about it. In that sense is far more akin to Dark Souls than Goat Simulator. Theres a solid foundation of a game there, it isnt something made to cash in social media attention. Which doesn't contradict the fact that it got a lot of it either.

This is like TLOU was only everywhere because it made people sad

That would be true if people started noticing Last of Us for the "you know Ellie we truly are the last of us" thing i guess

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
lmao the fucking airs people put on while airing their driveby-tier "meme game" takes
"ppppp-preposterous! i have no time for people who downplay the merits of the game i like, but I will continue to do exactly as such about the game i dont like! pishposh!"

pairing a plastic monocle with clownshoes

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I have friends who do judging for the AIAS panels, and they take the process pretty seriously. Game devs aren't immune to popularity however. But for something so broad as game of the year, I'd really have to see the judging criteria to agree with this particular winner. I think it's a little sad that Outer Wilds lost out, since I feel like it was more interesting and innovative overall than Goose was.

I do feel like some of the award categories are a bit awkward for direct comparisons and should be divided up, like the strategy/sim and family games ones.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I do feel like some of the award categories are a bit awkward for direct comparisons and should be divided up, like the strategy/sim and family games ones.

Family games i'm almost sure its just mirroring The Games Award. Since its a quite silly category to have and shouldnt exist. What exactly constitute a family game? Single people can't enjoy stuff like Luigis Mansion?