• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
As I live in a city ravaged by domesticated geese, this game had me sold at "dedicated honk button."

Though I won't be getting it until next year, I do hope it does well. The world needs more weird games like this.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
How do I make the man put on the sun hat? I thought I could snatch his current hat but no dice.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How do I make the man put on the sun hat? I thought I could snatch his current hat but no dice.

There are two ways, as far as I can tell:

Sometimes he'll take his hat off to wipe his head. Scare him into dropping it, grab it and run. He doesn't do this often and you'll need to distract him with something to stop him from immediately picking the hat back up, so this isn't my preferred method.

Pick up the rose/tulip/red flower and let him retrieve it. When he's replanting it, you can grab the hat off his head.

Either way, if he can't get his initial hat back he'll switch to the sun hat.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
duLo6n3.png

No need to thank me.
fuck. lol

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
As someone who grew pretty tired of the awkward controls in Octodad, does this game become especially fiddly and annoying with the strong physics emphasis?

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Played this at our office for a bit after our brownie baking competition. Everyone loved watching me torment the poor gardener.

(Have I mentioned I love my job? I love my job.)

Plum

May 31, 2018
As someone who grew pretty tired of the awkward controls in Octodad, does this game become especially fiddly and annoying with the strong physics emphasis?

Not at all so far. There is a physics emphasis but I haven't encountered any puzzles that rely on manipulating the physics, they just seem to be there to create shenanigans and such. The game does have fiddly parts but I never felt like the controls were a burden and it's generally very lenient.

You do have to get used to controlling the swan, though. The turn radius is quite large even if you're only walking. But, again, that adds to the game's charm as you're not supposed to be controlling something agile.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
There are two ways, as far as I can tell:

Sometimes he'll take his hat off to wipe his head. Scare him into dropping it, grab it and run. He doesn't do this often and you'll need to distract him with something to stop him from immediately picking the hat back up, so this isn't my preferred method.

Pick up the rose/tulip/red flower and let him retrieve it. When he's replanting it, you can grab the hat off his head.

Either way, if he can't get his initial hat back he'll switch to the sun hat.

Thanks! I tried snatching his hat when he was using the small shovel but I couldn't get grab indicator to show up. I'll try again.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The run has has a certain, deliberate sense of unwieldiness to it but you get used to it. Otherwise the physics kind of just behave as you'd expect on large/heavy objects, so it can feel a little like you're wrestling with them but nothing feels like the sort of physics struggle/madness of Octodad. Needing to lower your head to pick up things low to the ground can take some getting used to. I can't guarantee the game won't bother you but it's certainly not Octodad.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I thought Octodad was complete and utter twaddle, and the only reason it got any interest at all is because it featured in an early PS4 indie montage.

Untitled GG on the other hand, controls beautifully and elegantly. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Waypoint has their review up, I think the title says it all:
Goose Game takes the common video game fantasy of being someone else's bad day and dresses it up with pastoral allure. I think you could probably cobble together a critique here: All the power fantasy with none of the consequences. But I think the more pertinent read is that Goose Game is an excellent example of how much incredible white space video games have yet to explore.

I mean, come on, it's 2019. How the fuck is this the first time I've gotten to be a mischievous goose?
No score, but they like it.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was walking around my city earlier this week and came across a flock of geese lounging about in the shade under a tree. I was like, ah, cute geese, I hope I don't scare them away from their comfortable lazy spot. As I approached my bemusement turned to fear as one of the geese looked me dead in the eye and hissed at me. Just fucking dead ass did not move, hissing the entire way, watching me. It was I, who was afraid of them.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I was walking around my city earlier this week and came across a flock of geese lounging about in the shade under a tree. I was like, ah, cute geese, I hope I don't scare them away from their comfortable lazy spot. As I approached my bemusement turned to fear as one of the geese looked me dead in the eye and hissed at me. Just fucking dead ass did not move, hissing the entire way, watching me. It was I, who was afraid of them.
source.gif

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Welcome to Canada.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I thought this might be a game my partner could enjoy, as they haven't much experience with games but enjoyed the physical nature of Breath of the Wild.

Unfortunately the controls were too unforgiving and it was hard for them to tell why the goose dropped items. The gardener key task was too difficult and she gave up in frustrating.

I will try the game myself this weekend. It seemed fun despite the feedback problems.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
I thought this might be a game my partner could enjoy, as they haven't much experience with games but enjoyed the physical nature of Breath of the Wild.

Unfortunately the controls were too unforgiving and it was hard for them to tell why the goose dropped items. The gardener key task was too difficult and she gave up in frustrating.

I will try the game myself this weekend. It seemed fun despite the feedback problems.
The only time you drop items is if you press the "pick up/drop" button, or an NPC makes you drop it by shooing you away or taking it from you. If your partner gives it another shot, consider looking into the control options where many functions can be changed to toggles rather than needing to be held down or vice-versa.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Playing for a while. It's so nice when it works, but when you have no idea how to get closer to a task it becomes tedious.

I'm stuck on the phonebox and the broken broom task, as I can't find a phone anywhere and the broom doesn't snap when twisted between two hard objects.

I tried making every character step on the broom, tried holding metal items while being swept at, and everything that didn't work made the game feel less coherent and more like an awkward point and click.

Probably best to wait and play it with a written walkthrough, huh? It would be nice if someone would write spoiler free play guides for games like this, especially the devs. I doubt the devs planned for players to drop the game.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Playing for a while. It's so nice when it works, but when you have no idea how to get closer to a task it becomes tedious.

I'm stuck on the phonebox and the broken broom task, as I can't find a phone anywhere and the broom doesn't snap when twisted between two hard objects.

I tried making every character step on the broom, tried holding metal items while being swept at, and everything that didn't work made the game feel less coherent and more like an awkward point and click.

Probably best to wait and play it with a written walkthrough, huh? It would be nice if someone would write spoiler free play guides for games like this, especially the devs. I doubt the devs planned for players to drop the game.
You might be overthinking the broom puzzle:
Think about how a broom is generally made up, who is upset when you try and take it and how those two elements can be combined

As for the the phonebox, the game is set in a UK village - think about what the phoneboxes over here might look like.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK

Welcome to New Honk City.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
You might be overthinking the broom puzzle:
Think about how a broom is generally made up, who is upset when you try and take it and how those two elements can be combined

As for the the phonebox, the game is set in a UK village - think about what the phoneboxes over here might look like.

I tried pulling on the broom with the shopkeeper to no avail. I saw the phonebox but couldn't open it, and none of the NPCs would either.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I tried pulling on the broom with the shopkeeper to no avail. I saw the phonebox but couldn't open it, and none of the NPCs would either.

You have to pull on opposite ends for a few seconds. I was a bit stuck on that one as well but it's definitely easier than it looks.

As for the phone box, here's a tip:
Try leading the boy to the phone box.