• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
What are some uncstructured stories that you like, ones thst aren't told in an A-B-C manner?

Examples are stories...:
-That suddenly switch protagonists for the rest of the plot.
-Where the genre and tone completely change part of way through
-That end abruptly in an unsatisfying way
-That add and drop plotlines messily
-etc

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
...Would Hot Fuzz count since that movie genre-switches at least 2 times?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
From Dusk Til Dawn. Especially considering I had no idea what it was about before I watched it the first time.

cosmicspooks

Oct 29, 2017
Big big fan of Hong Sansoo and nearly all of his movies are structurally funky in some way. Right Now Wrong Then, where the same story is told twice, but with the main character making different choices, is one of my favs. But they all rule.

Also, and I don't wanna spoil what happens, but boyyy that new Japanese movie One Cut of the Dead is the best thing to ever happen in this world, and does it ever have a genre change! And it isn't told in a linearly!

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I'm not sure there are many films with stories that have no structure whatsoever, but I love unconventional plot structure in movies.

I love how 2001 is essentially three movements, almost three self-contained stories, and the first is an extended sequence showing hominids surviving in prehistoric times, followed by a segment based on 60's futurism attempting to show what it might look like if there were colonies on the moon, and finally a thrilling cat and mouse game between two astronauts and a self-aware rogue AI that will preserve itself at any cost. There is arguably no main character with the possible exception of David Bowman, who isn't even on screen until 50 minutes into the film. There is some structure to the movie, but it's very unconventional and it makes you realize that there are so many ways you can tell an engaging story through mostly visuals alone.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I think Chronicle would fit the bill.

Movie starts with friends having fun with their newfound powers and end in a very dramatic note.

@edit

Hancock develops in similar fashion as well.

sam huge

Oct 27, 2017
Inherent Vice in both forms

I've enjoyed all the Pynchon I've read, but the two that I thought of in response to OP were Gravity's Rainbow and Against The Day. Both of those books do strange things with narrative structure, and both reads were very memorable experiences for me. Recently got Against The Day on audio to passively revisit the wonder. from what I hear the GR audiobook is very well done, too (A lot of people avoid or don't continue these books because they're 'difficult', but I would chalk most of the difficulty up to the subversion of narrative norms the OP is interested in; anyway, audio takes no effort so I recommend people give it a shot since the readers apparently put in good work.)