• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Playing through Phantasy Star III and can't help but wonder why the fuck someone thought it would be a good idea to have your revival tech have a chance of flat out not working. 20 casts in a row... all failed... What kind of sick person does this?

Any other games that have bullshit like this that isn't explicitly told to you?

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
In Thracia 776 healing staves can miss.

The formula is something like Staff accuracy = [Staff Hit + (4 x Skill)] %

On the other hand, they can also double which is pretty cool I guess.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
In Mega Man Zero you need to get good rankings in order to get the boss abilities, which make the game easier.

So your reward for being super good at the game already is having the game made easier for you. If you're an average player, you'll miss out on these skills.

OP
OP
BigHatPaul

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
In Mega Man Zero you need to get good rankings in order to get the boss abilities, which make the game easier.

So your reward for being super good at the game already is having the game made easier for you. If you're an average player, you'll miss out on these skills.
Christ almighty I just thought the game didn't have them. Oof.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Tripping in Brawl compromises the implicit trust between game and player by fucking with the control scheme at random, which is heinous and indefensible.

Another is XCOM's dual percentage averaging, where 93% means either 100% chance to hit, or 74% to fuck you stupid haha

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
Instant death attacks coupled with accessories that don't give 100% protection against it. FFXIII has this and party leader being KO'd is a game over.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I think some of the controversy around Modern Warfare's Skill Based Matchmaking would dissipate if IW actually explained some of the detail behind how it works.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Hollow Knight's lame copy and pasted Dark Souls retrieval mechanic. It doesn't add anything to the game. Not only is the map stupid huge, but the combat encounters do not pose nearly the same risk they do in Souls games. It follows a trend for the sake of following a trend.

Might also say the same about Fallen Order, though it's not as bad there.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020

This is more common than it should be. I think one Red Faction and Dead Space games did something similar, beat the game on the hardest difficulty and get a weapon that one-hit kills with infinite ammo.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of people say Assassin Creed 2 is still the best one, disagree, that synchronization mechanic where you can't explore until you've finished a number of mission is just so lame and ruins the visuals of exploring.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Missing 95% hits in strategy games feels that way to me. Not really something the game does not communicate, but man it feels often like the game isn't telling you everything when you miss those frequently.

May 10, 2018
The Mega Man Zero skill thing is one I really disliked and why I liked how Zero 4 handled it.

Like the OP said, I just thought the games didn't have them until I happened to look at a guide for the games.

Edit: Same thing with the Forms in Zero 2.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Knockdown completely takes away the player's ability to play for what feels like an enternity. It shouldn't exist.

Oct 26, 2017
Enemies not being affected by fog of war in SRPGs
Advance Wars has entered the chat.
Missing 95% hits in strategy games feels that way to me. Not really something the game does not communicate, but man it feels often like the game isn't telling you everything when you miss those frequently.
If I've maneuvered my guy into a position where he's flanked the enemy and has them effectively out of cover with nothing in between them then I've "earned" a 100% hit chance imo.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Breakable golden tools animal crossing

Might as well just stick to my regular Axe

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The way Oblivion handles its level scaling

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't remember if this is true for the other Souls games but I distinctly remember a bullshit NPC invasion in Dark Souls 2 that demonstrated that the enemies don't have a stamina bar. It would constantly attack, there was never an opening.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Random QTE while an apparent "cutscene" has been going on for a while. I enjoy QTEs, there are games that do a great job with them, but others are downright stupid.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Playing through Phantasy Star III and can't help but wonder why the fuck someone thought it would be a good idea to have your revival tech have a chance of flat out not working. 20 casts in a row... all failed... What kind of sick person does this?

Any other games that have bullshit like this that isn't explicitly told to you?
I remember the Into the Breach devs saying how they had something similar for the game regarding how building defense had a chance to fail, and how players didn't react well to the idea. So they flipped it and made it so instead the buildings would normally take damage but sometimes could block all damage by chance. Even if the numbers behind it were the same in both cases, reversing the meaning turned the mechanic into something positive for all players, to the point where they would keep playing when all seemed lost in hopes of buildings miraculously blocking an attack. When it happens and you manage to win a round it feels amazing!

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I think some of the controversy around Modern Warfare's Skill Based Matchmaking would dissipate if IW actually explained some of the detail behind how it works.
Not really. Most of the people complaining about it care more about winning easily without "sweat" than fair matches.

I vaguely remember that CoD has some code that allows you to spawn behind someone's back when you're on a bad losing streak. That's pretty bad if true.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Dark Souls 2 decreasing your HP gauge after each death until it stops at like 50% of your HP
Also it was pretty commonly talked about, but DS2's weapon degradation system was just abysmal. Epspcially on the PC which because of the 60FPS made the weapons degrade twice as fast.

Man what a poor mans imitation of DS1

I remember when Counter-Strike:Source was updated to the newer Source Engine:
6h3A0sC.jpg

KRsVPDB.jpg

Dat Next gen BLOOOM

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
JRPGs that have instant game over if the main protagonist falls. If you're playing as a party then it should be until the last member falls damnit!

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Brainsuckers in bloodborne stealing from you insights, even though I had 40-70 of them I felt disheartened when they did that