• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Runwhiteboyrun

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I guess Climax had the engine from their never completed Metallica game, and wanted to pitch Nintendo on a new Diddy Kong.

Dr.Osiris

Oct 14, 2018
Interesting. So this game was going to be on all consoles? Hard to believe since it has dk and diddy. My guess is Rare was just playing around with the xbox dev console.

Oct 29, 2017
This doesn't come from the Nintendo leak, this comes from an old auction when Climax was liquidated.

Cool to see that the ROM itself is out there now, not just a video.

Wait, I don't get it, why is it on Xbox lol. This is so weird haha
My brain hurts for sure.

Climax's engine was only up and running on Xbox at the time. They used it to create this build and pitched the project to Nintendo via a video recording being sent to them.

Nintendo rejected the pitch.

Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't come from the Nintendo leak, this comes from an old auction when Climax was liquidated.

Cool to see that the ROM itself is out there now, not just a video.

Climax's engine was only up and running on Xbox at the time. They used it to create this build and pitched the project to Nintendo via a video recording being sent to them.

Nintendo rejected the pitch.
Well of course Nintendo refused if it was running on Xbox. Literally neither Nintendo nor MS would accept it, at least as is.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I wish i was born in the timeline where this wasn't canned.

We could've had Halo on Nintendo DS and Diddy Kong Racing on Xbox. Think about it.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Although the video in the OP is old, this is my first time learning about this. Between this and Rare's Donkey Kong Racing/Saberman, It hurts seeing these pitches for a DKR (spiritual) sequel that got nowhere.

At least the GC build in the video is now technically available through this Xbox build I guess? :/

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
We really need a new Rare kart racer.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool Nintendo turning it down. Lame. Can't get any kind of DK Racing or adventure game because of Nintendo. Just stick with same ole Mario Kart over and over with garbage single player

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Someone (allegedly) ripped a huge amount of data from Nintendo's servers. They claim to have 2TB of archival stuff from the N64-Wii era. It's been slowly leaking out in chunks on 4chan over the past few days.

Stuff like N64 tech demos, complete N64 hardware verilog documents, Pokemon Red/Blue/Silver source code, Pokemon betas, etc..

If that's true, I hope some of the cancelled n64 games that had public demos (Resident Evil 0 N64 and Earthbound 64) come from this. I'd flip shit to get to play these two in particular, in addition to getting to learn about they're development from them being datamined.

Sails

Oct 27, 2017
Well of course Nintendo refused if it was running on Xbox. Literally neither Nintendo nor MS would accept it, at least as is.
That's the point. They likely told Nintendo something along the lines of "We can make this on GameCube we just only have an Xbox SDK setup for our needs at the moment and wanted to make the pitch before setting up a GameCube environment that we won't need at the moment if you decline"

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That's not true. This was a pitch, the hardware the demo was running on doesn't matter. They rejected the concept.

Title should probably be edited too, people are coming in here with the wrong idea (that this was a game that was actually pitched for, or would have ever have been released on, the Xbox).

Edit - Case in point:

This is pretty interesting as presumably it comes from the GameCube days. Could Nintendo have been flirting with the idea of moving to third-party development as has been speculated throughout the last two decades?

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
This is pretty interesting as presumably it comes from the GameCube days. Could Nintendo have been flirting with the idea of moving to third-party development as has been speculated throughout the last two decades?

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
This is old. The video is from Nov 2016. This is just one of the numerous pitches/prototypes that Climax made during the 2000's. They also did two different Diddy Kong Racing DS pitches, and even a Sonic game pitch on PSP that I believe was related to Shadow the Hedgehog.

Funny enough, they'd go on to do the PC port of Viva Pinata after the fact. So Rare certainly took notice.

But here's the bit that's extremely bizarre; if you watch the video in the OP, you see Diddy riding a rhino... that rhino is ripped right out of Sabreman Stampede which the world didn't know existed outside of Rare. Did Climax work on that and have access to the assets? Maybe they were on a PC port of that, or as an unusual support team (which is weird as Rare back then did everything in-house without 3rd-party support devs).

Sabreman Stampede I believe was actually mentioned in Scribes before. Plus, in the Perfect Dark Zero credits, there's even a thank you for the Sabreman Stampede team.

EDIT: Nvm. At that particular time, no one would have known.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Wrong. They've been making a number of games for Outright Games, including Crayola Scoot and the How to Train Your Dragon game IIRC.

They also announced a Switch port of that original shmup they made but it's yet to surface since IIRC.
Looking at their Wikipedia didn't enlighten me to the shmup, but it made be think of Blast Works, which was an interesting enough game that I wonder if people remember. I had a good time with that one, playing with my very young little brother at the time.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Climax didn't have access to Stampede as far as I can tell.

And the reporting on this is so bad, no this was never considered for Xbox. They made a video using technology they already had, which was for their Metallica game, which ran on PC (supposedly), PS2, and, you guessed it, Xbox. Notice how there are no button prompts, no anything that would show Xbox, that isn't an accident.

Just wait until you hear about their Castlevania pitch.