• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017

It's by Syrox Developments. It predated Mutant Academy. It's a 3D fighter kind of like Bloody Roar, as opposed to be a 2.5D fighter. The idea of the mirror match giving you a different character name (2P mirror Wolverine is Logan) is cool.

There is also a N64 port of this, but this PS1 version looks so much better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr. Pointy

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
It's still a 30fps fighter, but it doesn't seem to have that cardboard cut out animation look to it, like Toshinden.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly looks pretty forgettable, but I'm always down for more unreleased video games. I eat this shit up.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of the mirror match giving you a different character name (2P mirror Wolverine is Logan) is cool.

There are a few fighting games that have done things like this. Breakers gave a different name to every mirror match character, Endless Duel would swap out some pilots in story mode (Trowa would pilot the Wing if playing as either of Heero's Gundams, while Heero would pilot the Epyon as the final boss if playing as Zechs).

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Makes me want another xmen game so bad. I wish we would get an xmen legends port on newer consoles. Hopefully Disney has given the license to someone to make a badass game no matter what the genre is

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I actually liked the 2.5D fighters, so I'm glad their franchise went in that direction for that little while. However, I love this videogame archaeology stuff!

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't even see this video get picked up, glad everyone is enjoying it! Hoping to have more to show for it soon...

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mutant Academy was really good for a Western fighter at the time.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
This looks kinda generic, but seems like it could've been a big deal at the time. The alt costumes and names are a neat idea. Always cool when stuff like this sees the light of day.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That's really cool, and is that a first person mode?

Yep, as a debug option! Glad someone noticed.

This looks kinda generic, but seems like it could've been a big deal at the time. The alt costumes and names are a neat idea. Always cool when stuff like this sees the light of day.

Generic by today's standards, but there werent that many 3d fighters to go off of that were made for console first, let alone superhero ones. I have at least one design document for the game, so once I get one of these other builds going, there will be a huge video covering what is and what was intended to be.