• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and it's weird how i can call my horse almost anywhere and he comes out from the Ocean, but yet i can't call him in a Spartan or Athenian zone. What are some silly things in games that break the immersion for you?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
One consistent thing for me is graphical and is constantly done in FP games.

You play supposedly as human and usually without any eye wear like glasses yet there is shit of lens flare, glare etc. effects poppin off. Even then there is coatings to prevent that shit.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
The silent protagonist who does not talk in a world where everyone else communicates normally. That always hurts my sense of immersion to some extent. I hate it.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Permanent rim lighting and otherwise poor lighting effects.

I wish we could do the Ocarina of Time thing and have fairies fly around you and change your shadow. That stuff was cool.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Telling me to find a way some insane way or do a puzzle to get around a 3 foot high obstacle.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us.

There are metallic resources all over the place, but I guess Joel really likes his weapon made of the weakest-ass wood he can find.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Being able to save and resume or restart after death.

Yes, this is baked into the design of almost every game as a matter of necessity.
Yes, it means any time I'm playing a game I'm expressly aware of the game being a game.
Yes, I think the notion of 'immersion' as a means of justifying suspension of belief for the narrative of a given game is bullshit.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A really subtle one for me is when characters turn but they just spin on the spot. No foot movement, it's like they're on a lazy susan. It's such a minor thing but I absolutely hate when I notice it and it bothers me constantly once I do. It makes the character feel so detached from the world even though it's just a small missing animation, as opposed to the character shuffling their feet when they turn.

The silent protagonist who does not talk in a world where everyone else communicates normally. That always hurts my sense of immersion to some extent. I hate it.

This is one for me as well. Every conversation being the other character essentially just talking to themself is so silly. It becomes especially silly when they start talking about "your" personality, despite your character literally being a blank wall.

Oct 26, 2017
Magnetic weapons, weapons that just stick to the characters back or waist. One that really sticks out is staffs, why the fuck would you "sheath" a staff?

llLeonhart

Oct 21, 2019
I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and it's weird how i can call my horse almost anywhere and he comes out from the Ocean, but yet i can't call him in a Spartan or Athenian zone. What are some silly things in games that break the immersion for you?
Came thinking about a bunch of AC Odyssey stuff. hahah
Sometimes NPCS will randomly attack you if they see you attacking a guard.
I had this mission where I had to save this guy, I saved him, and a mercenary attacked me in the process of getting him out. He joined the mercenary. Then he bugged and became a regular NPC. I had to knock him out and actually bring him to the designated spot.

There's a skill that makes bodies disappear when you stealthily kill them, but if they are a cultist, you need to "execute" air, where the main character will proceed to stab air like he was murdering someone.

Unrealistic armor.

Why in the hell a game that claims to be "historical" have so many women warrior? I like Kassandra, but take it easy on the NPCS. Women warrior existed, but they were rare, make it so when you find one, a big deal ffs.

I had Kassandra romance a girl named Kyra, it was awesome, with a really well made questline and a personal and amazing story. But it's only meaningful during the missions, romance in this game never passes beyond a one night stand

Deleted member 7948

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Present day JAV actresses on the phone cards in Yakuza 0 which takes place in the 80's.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games have limitations even today and unless they're super egregious they don't bother me.

It's when you try to justify those limitations and fail that things get weird, like Dead Space sticking your health bar on your back. What kind of practical use does that have?

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
In games where you have a character following you (Resident Evil 5, The Last of Us, etc), they never react when you shoot your gun very close to them or into a wall they're close to.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Virtually everything on the worlds of Jedi Fallen Order felt like it was just a platform game designed around wall runs, sliding, and other character traversal techniques, instead of actual worlds. Ruining any immersion.

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
  • Mute protagonists that other characters interact with as if they can talk.
  • Bullet sponge enemies that don't follow logic. For example a human who can take multiple shotgun blasts to the head.
  • Every women character being dressed in fetish gear, regardless of their profession, or logic.
  • Seeing the same NPC or enemy over and over again. Sometimes even multiple clones of them in the same area.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game over. Time to load my previous save as if nothing happened lol! Such brutal, wow, much reload!

Silent protagonists. Uh why aren't you saying anything?

Oh look a 5 foot cliff. My character is a badass that hunts monsters all day and consumes mutations to increase his strength. Let me jump off I'll be... I'm dead

All video games destroy their own immersion by having video game things in them.

Deleted member 29691

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

You play supposedly as human and usually without any eye wear like glasses yet there is shit of lens flare, glare etc. effects poppin off. Even then there is coatings to prevent that shit.
Yep. You're supposed to be looking through the character's eyes, not a camera lens. If I can I always turn off blood splatter, depth of field, chromatic abrasion, etc. in first person games.

Nov 17, 2017
Magnetic weapons, weapons that just stick to the characters back or waist. One that really sticks out is staffs, why the fuck would you "sheath" a staff?
It's always funny when they go the extra mile to give the weapons some sort of physics. Xenoblade has the character's weapons jiggle around like they're hanging on an invisible rope. I tried to find an example but looking up "Xenoblade weapon physics" just give you gifs of Pyra...

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Low ledges or small gaps that your character can't cross even though they should be able to

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Yep this is it for me. I've never had rain fall on my eyeballs and look like a bunch of raindrops on a sheet of glass IRL. That always bugs the hell out of me in FPS games.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Almost every game in existence has some elements of this.

For the sake of the argument I'll try my hand at the last things I played :
- DQ XI : Typical RPG issues : I carry literally tons of weapons and shit. Weapons stick to your back. Silent protagonist. I have to equip a full set of armor before my appearance changes (that's NOT how clothing works !).
- DMC V : Whew, quite some choice here. I'll go with Nico's magical van which can appears anywhere (even underground), crush through any walls and fall meters without a single scratch.
- Overwatch : Infinite ammo. Special mention to Reaper who throws away its two shotguns each reload. You'll casually go through dozens or hundreds of them in a single match.
- BotW : Weapons break in seconds. You can parry a charging Lynel (basically : a minibus rushing to you). I have INFINITE bag space, yet I have to buy more bag space for equipment. (Etc, too much ground to cover here.)
- Any medieval RTS : Swordsmen and archers can take down walls and stoned buildings.
- Any FPS : Any part of the human body can be shoot for lethal results. Just shoot this guy through his hand of foot a few times and he'll die.

..And so much more ! Really apart from puzzle games I can't think of any game being credibly realistic.

Bovine

Oct 29, 2017
Villains that have no agency, ones who just sit around all day in their fortress doing nothing.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Needing a key to open a door when you have powerful weapons.
Cant proceed because there's a box in the way so you have to find a long ass way around it.
When enemies can absorb a bunch of headshots.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I don't really understand "immersion". I never get so into a videogame that I literally forget I'm playing a game, if that's what it's supposed to mean. And I find that it's often used to justify clunky controls like in RDR2. Sure Arthur controls like crap, but it's for the sake of realistic animation and immersion! Screw that.

The more "gamey", the better as far as I'm concerned.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Mostly graphical glitches:
  • Pop-in (geometry, level of detail, shadows, etc.)
  • Graphical errors (pixelated shadows, jittery textures, etc.)

The smaller the scope of the game, the best chance I will be engrossed by its world and environment-narrative. Open world games tend to have the glitches I listed above so I'm never immersed in them .

Assassins Creed Origins is an exception. That game is very polished, and even as an open world, has the required detail, IQ, and low incidence of glitches required to immerse me.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London

Can't remember the skill name but basically jump from anywhere and take no fall damage.

The thing that gets me most is quite simple. I can climb a 7 foot fence but I need a key to unlock a five foot gate.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Most games aren't really immersive for me, because there's always some "gamey" aspect to them.

But the one thing that gets me most is the overly cheery character(s) that want to join a silent protagonist for some reason, and enjoy talking to someone that just nods.

Oct 26, 2017
It's always funny when they go the extra mile to give the weapons some sort of physics. Xenoblade has the character's weapons jiggle around like they're hanging on an invisible rope. I tried to find an example but looking up "Xenoblade weapon physics" just give you gifs of Pyra...
I think the Mass Effect games did it well, they were literally magnetically (it seems) locked onto the characters armour.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Immersion isn't tied to realism for me. What breaks it is something not related to to inner universe of the game, like "Switch" t-shirt in BotW for exemple. I am ok with easter eggs or fun references but not that litteral.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My suspension of disbelief is super strong in the sense that I have a pretty low bar for being immersed and entertained by movies, games etc. I'm not watching/playing with a very critical eye. I just want to relax and escape from work/life stress for a while.

With that mindset, nothing really jumps to mind in terms of flaws that take me out of a game. It's more difficulty spikes, not knowing where to go next, puzzles I can't figure out (and I'm not gaming to solve puzzles as I use my brain for that for work all the time) that ruin the experience for me. Not in a breaking immersion stand point, but just from ruining the relaxing vibe I'm going for.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand "immersion". I never get so into a videogame that I literally forget I'm playing a game, if that's what it's supposed to mean. And I find that it's often used to justify clunky controls like in RDR2. Sure Arthur controls like crap, but it's for the sake of realistic animation and immersion! Screw that.

The more "gamey", the better as far as I'm concerned.
My suspension of disbelief is super strong in the sense that I have a pretty low bar for being immersed and entertained by movies, games etc. I'm not watching/playing with a very critical eye. I just want to relax and escape from work/life stress for a while.

With that mindset, nothing really jumps to mind in terms of flaws that take me out of a game. It's more difficulty spikes, not knowing where to go next, puzzles I can't figure out (and I'm not gaming to solve puzzles as I use my brain for that for work all the time) that ruin the experience for me. Not in a breaking immersion stand point, but just from ruining the relaxing vibe I'm going for.
These two posts are what I was going to write.

Immersion breaking things make me laugh. Things that end up frustrating the gaming experience do not.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy talk: these things don't bother me because I'm aware of the absurdity (and limitations) of an interactive virtual world.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that always bugs me is when your character should be able to get past an obstacle, but can't. Whether that's a tiny "wall" that a human could just step over, a couple of cars blocking a street, a locked wooden door when your character has a grenade launcher, whatever.

Probably the most egregious example I've ever seen is in Jedi: Fallen Order. At multiple points in the game, you're blocked by small metal bars, like a jail cell door. I have a lightsaber! It's made worse by the fact that at other places, you have to use your lightsaber to cut through fairly similar blocked paths (they look more like tubes than bars, but whatever), and also by there being blocked paths that are more plausible, like force fields.

It always bugs me. If you don't want me to go that way, then put something there that would actually prevent my character from going that way.