• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like their logo. It's very much in-line with the type of design and aesthetic I enjoy.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer this EA logo.

latest
Always thought it looked like a phone company logo from 1989.

Deleted member 26900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This might be the silliest thing I have ever seen on this forum. There is no reason to be mad or upset by this.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I miss when logos looked visually different.

This whole conforming to flat simple design shit is lame as hell.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they? Got any examples? I know Unity and YoYo Games are super strict with that kind of stuff and get mad if you mess around with it (admittedly I tried doing so with my own game which is why I know so much about this).

It's probably handled on a case by case basis with them having to approve it.
this one's from Siege and the Sandfox, though this video is also very old, so no idea if they're still using it

gKfqsQB.png

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Three replies about some apparent controversy regarding this "reee" thing. Care to enlighten me as I feel like I've opened up a can of worms already.

It's an able-ist insult that represents "autistic screeching". It is derogatory and insulting to people with autism(and anybody who cares about the useage of able-ist slurs), so just don't use it. Moving on.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
As someone who loathes with every fiber of my being on this longstanding trend of flat design, I must disagree with the OP here in the strongest possible terms.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please, find another fight.

That's the only thing left @ Epic that's referencing Unreal Tournament, can we at least have that ? :'(

OP
OP
AtomicShroom

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
That isn't their preferred logo anymore as of 2014, this is
https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/branding

QLQiFqK.png

In fact, with the branding materials they provide, the old one you posted in the OP isn't even there.

Blame Square for using the old one? idk? Seems like a weird thing to make a thread over.

That "u" design is still ungodly (looks like a power metal band or something), but that's leagues better than what they used in Octopath. So I guess most of the blame is on Square then. Damn you Square!

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That "u" design is still ungodly (looks like a power metal band or something), but that's leagues better than what they used in Octopath. So I guess most of the blame is on Square then. Damn you Square!
It's better than just a basic U quite frankly. With logos all looking flat these days, let them have some flare. You see it for seconds if that.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Power metal's rad. Just seems like you're looking for foolish reasons to be upset today.....did you get a speeding ticket this morning when you were just going ten over? Be honest now.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
The '4' is the only part of that logo I have any issues with. The shading is almost refreshing in a world of ever simpler color schemes.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I don't think it looks that bad, in fact I prefer the blue and gold over the one Epic prefers devs to use.

plateaux

Oct 27, 2017
New England
As a designer, this is largely just subjective opinion on your part. Yes, flat design is the current standard of the 2010s, as the shiny/chrome buttons, UI, and logo embellishments of the 2000s Web 2.0 style was phased out of style. Skeuomorphism was kind of the final phase at the tail end of this trend, before flat design became the norm. But like anything else – there's no "right" or "wrong" in design. And trends will always come and go and come back around.

Some may even find it refreshing to buck the trend. Good design is timeless, and flat design ages better and appears more "clean and professional" because it does not rely on any visual flair to express its meaning or strengths. But it can also be viewed by some as boring and plain, especially in our current branding landscape as everyone jumps on the wagon (like... 5 years ago by now).

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I prefer the new one, but old one is still nice.

But the Rare and Lucasarts ones are unforgivable!

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
I think it could certainly look classier. They should NEVER lose the Unreal "U" though. Gotta stick to those roots!

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've never liked that gothic U in the logo. It doesn't speak to me as a piece of technology, but rather a metal band or something.
As someone who loathes with every fiber of my being on this longstanding trend of flat design, I must disagree with the OP here in the strongest possible terms.
Flat logo design is timeless. When people get access to new graphic design techniques, like when Photoshop landed in the hands of amateurs in the '90s, they tend to go completely batshit overboard with their new tools. After a while things settle down and flat is back in style.

As others have pointed out, the "new" official logo uses a flat design. In my opinion both varieties have their qualities and I enjoy both.

I worked on some Unreal Engine logo explorations for a Cyberpunk game as we were considering applying for a custom one. Nothing came of it but I thought it was a fun little venture.

Some other variations and whatnot can be found here.
Do they? Got any examples? I know Unity and YoYo Games are super strict with that kind of stuff and get mad if you mess around with it (admittedly I tried doing so with my own game which is why I know so much about this).

It's probably handled on a case by case basis with them having to approve it.
Epic does allow developers to apply for custom logo approval. There are few games out there that already do this, as others have shown. Most developers do not allocate resources to custom engine logos so most games simply do not get them.

Oct 25, 2017
Lot of people shitting on the power metal look in here. I wish Epic would put money into Unreal Tournament 4 because I have extremely fond memories of UT. I know Fortnite is their focus now but the U in the UE logo is iconic. It's like throwing out Mario's moustache.