• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Nice piece of linear 3D model tourism. All world animations were clearly pre-scripted. The rocks look rockier than ever!

This demo is really depressing ifs its any signal of next gen. Detailed 3D models crammed in by the millions isn't impressive anymore. Where is the new gameplay??? We have already flown through rich detailed environments. we have already crammed through rocky caves and ran on walls. We have already climbed up cliffs that crumble in a prescripted sequence. This demo was a big nothingburger on the gameplay front.
It's a demo to showcase their new engine's graphical improvements......what exactly do you expect? It's not a real game.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Epic uploaded some wallpapers in case you wanna look at those pixel level triangles.

UnrealEngine5wallpap.jpg

Box

Hell yea

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what you get when you only brute force power with PC parts put together 😎
I can't wait to see actual next gen games and hope people won't be disappointed when they see them and not being in the same league as this tech demo. They will still look absolutely great but at the same time it's great to a glimpse of the future, even if we have to wait for it.

Well, next gen all games will feature fast flying and super man powers from what I see on the forum.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Nice piece of linear 3D model tourism. All world animations were clearly pre-scripted. The rocks look rockier than ever!

This demo is really depressing ifs its any signal of next gen. Detailed 3D models crammed in by the millions isn't impressive anymore. Where is the new gameplay??? We have already flown through rich detailed environments. we have already crammed through rocky caves and ran on walls. We have already climbed up cliffs that crumble in a prescripted sequence. This demo was a big nothingburger on the gameplay front.

There's noone blinder that that who doesn't want to see...

If you can't see some of the implications this will have for gameplay I don't what to tell you

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
It definitely looks impressive, but chances of games actually looking like that are probably slim aren't they?
(Going by previous history of tech demos)

Maybe but my main concern right now is the Series X, because if this is beyond its streaming capabilities we're _definitely_ not getting games like this beyond a few Sony exclusives.

So can the demo run on the Series X??

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like Epic was planning to do this anyway to show off their engine, as apart of Keighleys summer of games or whatever. Then, either because of close relationships with Sony or Sony reaching out specifically, they tried to rebrand it as a PS5 thing. Makes sense as PS5 has been largely left out of the next gen discussion. However its quite obvious we aren't seeing anything that won't be possible, or even perform better, on SeX as well. Overall very cool demo.

lol yes thats the only reason they showed it on PS5. smh. You guys are losing it.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, next gen all games will feature fast flying and super man powers from what I see on the forum.
To me it was clear that the flying part was to go in line with what Sony showed with the Spiderman demo. There will be more to be revealed from this demo this week we heard and I feel the flying part will be a part of that.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
available 2021?

that's just disappointing.

means we probably won't get a non epic UE5 game for years.
At this point Epic isn't the one making flagship UE games, it's basically The Coalition with their Gears games. Gears has always come out with the latest and greatest in Unreal engine for its time, even after the franchise left Epic. So will be exciting to see what The Coalition does with it.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I lol'd at the "squeeze through the narrow passage slowly" scene. SSDs eliminating load times and devs keep "hidden loading" mechanics because they're "cinematic" would be hilarious.

I can picture a time in the future where people love fake loading screens. They'll feel it's super immersive to be reminded they're playing a videogame.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe but my main concern right now is the Series X, because if this is beyond its streaming capabilities we're _definitely_ not getting games like this beyond a few Sony exclusives.

So can the demo run on the Series X??

Of course the demo can run on Series X. Epic has a partnership with Sony and had a hand in the console in terms of giving feedback etc. Im sure they just felt it was a cool way to show PS5s super fast SSD. Xbox will be able to do the same although its SSD is definetly slower, itll just make up for it in GPU power.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
It definitely looks impressive, but chances of games actually looking like that are probably slim aren't they?
(Going by previous history of tech demos)

The UE4 demo on PS4 actually makes me more convinced that this will be in games than the other way round.

Really happy about the animation bits that they mentioned. They should've talked more about that.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Or maybe they attached to Sony because they were going the strongest on drive speed on this coming generation - a bottleneck that has plagued us for generations and the single biggest upgrade in this upcoming one. It would make working on a cutting edge demo that requires streaming data that much easier. They even hinted to this in their interview.

I'm not a fool - I get that money can go in hand. But there are lots of reasons this sort of thing can be set up, least of which is just that devs are excited to work on exciting hardware. PS5 is exciting.
Can you shed some light on the differences in platform holders tech focus then? MS opted to tackle a stronger GPU, Sony tackled a Stronger SSD. I keep seeing than Xsex is "good enough" for no noticeable differences between SKU's, so I'm still trying to wrap my head around why we don't have nearly identical pieces of hardware. is the really fast SSD (when just fast is good enough) solely to make lives easier for devs? Would that even show favorably when sites like digital foundry do side-by-sides?
Certainly easier in many ways compared to this generation, from asset creation to optimization and even publishing. There's been a big focus from the platform holders of speeding up the time it takes for things to come "online." It's too early for me to hypothesize new pain points though. We're really just getting started, it's only really been a year for us with next gen hardware.
So, you're saying it might not take PD another 4 years to make Gran Turismo 7 right?? lol...
Those bottlenecks are removed, that's the point, it was mentioned in the video, open world games not longer have to be dumped down due technical constraints, you're no longer dealing with draw calls, LODs, you're material instruction counts can be higher, etc etc, and in terms of assets, that one demo had billions of polygons, that dwarfs any open world game currently in existence, i've worked on a few, working on one right now.
Is the jump to SSD big enough for linear games (Uncharted 4 for example) quality to be matched in an open world as big as Botw or Witcher 3?

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing disappointing about this was the character model not Fortnite default dancing into the portal at the end there

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
What other reason(s) if not marketing?

Are you saying this demo isn't possible on SeX?

They have a partnership with PS5 and had a hand in its development by giving feedback and what not. Maybe, JUST MAYBE they are ALSO excited about the super fast SSD. Does the Series X have a faster SSD? Cuz thats part of what they were showing with the flying at the end. The benefits of streaming on the fly.

Which SSD is faster?

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
That's what you get when you only brute force power with PC parts put together 😎
I can't wait to see actual next gen games and hope people won't be disappointed when they see them and not being in the same league as this tech demo. They will still look absolutely great but at the same time it's great to a glimpse of the future, even if we have to wait for it.

I promise the games will look better than the tech demo 4 years into next gen. Its always the case.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
At this point Epic isn't the one making flagship UE games, it's basically The Coalition with their Gears games. Gears has always come out with the latest and greatest in Unreal engine for its time, even after the franchise left Epic. So will be exciting to see what The Coalition does with it.
We have no idea of when Gears 6 is coming, though.

~3 years has been the dev time so far, but who knows if that will change with Series X.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
User banned (1 month): hostility, multiple prior infractions for the same
They have a partnership with PS5 and had a hand in its development by giving feedback and what not. Maybe, JUST MAYBE they are ALSO excited about the super fast SSD. Does the Series X have a faster SSD? Cuz thats part of what they were showing with the flying at the end. The benefits of streaming on the fly.

Which SSD is faster?

You sound so insecure. With copious amounts of desperation sprinkled on top.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
It just dawned on me that you can just pull the JJ verse Star Trek starship models into this and play around with them. I was a huge Star Trek Bridge Commander nerd when I had a PC with a optical drive and now I'll be sad if no one uses this tech to give me ILM level Star Trek ships in real time.

Last edited:

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Some lovely lighting. Character model wasn't anything new but it did look great overall. They couldn't have picked a more "Sony" looking game to show off the tech so the demo makers knew how to pull the strings of the intended audience. A good marketing decision.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why would someone looking to release their in-development game port to this engine? Expect few to be stressed about jumping to UE5. There are still games coming out on UE3 to this day.
Extra features? Better performance? Maybe just so they can say they are on UE5 as props? I am sure some people will be unsure about moving to UE5, just because it now demands more expertise etc. It always takes time to adjust to a new engine but its still just UE.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Which SSD is faster?
The Sony SSD is faster. You're asking the wrong question. The question is how much that difference matters for this demo. Tim already said this same demo runs will on current mid-high end PC configs, without the fancy SSD tech. So maybe it's not especially important here at all. Which means maybe the XSX can run it equally well or better given it's GPU advantage. Who knows.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
You sound so insecure.
Why would I be insecure when Im fortuate enough to own and game on all consoles? Sounds like youre projecting. Im not the one saying the only reason they did the demo on PS5 is cuz of marketing and money. Some people in this thread cant wrap their head around the fact perhaps Epic is excited for the PS5s capabilities.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So games in development now but won't be appearing till possibly 2021/21, it really depends on how quickly a port from engine to engine can be done.

If you move a game to UE5 from UE4, you're going to get benefits but if you're deep in development, pipelines are set and content is coming together, you're not going to make a drastic switch to Nanite and upend all that work you've already done unless you're pushing your game back.

Games built from the ground up with Nanite and Lumen are going to look incredible but we're years away from that.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Gotdamn that was draw dropping. Not having to waste time creating low poly models is going to be a massive time saver.

Utherellus

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Or maybe they attached to Sony because they were going the strongest on drive speed on this coming generation - a bottleneck that has plagued us for generations and the single biggest upgrade in this upcoming one. It would make working on a cutting edge demo that requires streaming data that much easier. They even hinted to this in their interview.

I'm not a fool - I get that money can go in hand. But there are lots of reasons this sort of thing can be set up, least of which is just that devs are excited to work on exciting hardware. PS5 is exciting.

so SeriesX isn't exciting.

100mb/s streaming industry standard shifting to 4800mb/s isn't exciting. it must be 9000mb/s to drop our jaws.

BCpack - MS's new compression tech, which handles the most demanding asset bottleneck in games - Textures, 30% more efficiently than Sony - isn't exciting.

this is so funny.

Oct 25, 2017
This is great.

Epic has been submerged in the Fortnite life for a very long time now, and a large part of that is probably learning first-hand how difficult it is to take a single idea, or a single set of artist produced assets, and take them through a pipeline for each and every platform to optimize along that path. The idea of mapping 1 pixel to 1 triangle (and theoretically culling everything else, through whatever virtualization this is), makes rendering seem more like a cost relative to resolution, which naturally scales up and down depending on how powerful the hardware is. This *seems* like it would take a huge load off of the shoulders of artists who have been given the difficult task of making sure their crazy high-poly models can exist in that iPhone version of their game. It's a horizontal scaling method that seems really powerful and will save a lot of pain and time on behalf of larger companies that can afford to think in the direction of many skus, and make that considering a possibility for even the smaller teams. It kind of makes sense that some of this is born out of the battle-testing grounds that is Fortnite -- it's more than just a game to them at this point, or some social experiment, it's an honest-to-god testing ground for the latest and greatest technology.

I'm a little... confused, or maybe underwhelmed that the solution here for GI is not RT. I actually don't know exactly what it is, but I am reminded that at some point there was a voxel octree GI solution (or something like that) made for UE4.x that got cut due to hardware not being there; my guess is, this is that, brought back, better and more refined. It looks great, mind, and I realize that this doesn't mean reflections or shadows are going away -- those are still options. But it does mean, I think, that Epic has chosen to steer clear of the route taken by, like, the Metro guys or Remedy. This is their solution, and they think it cuts a perfect middleground -- for consoles, they are probably right on the money, and this leans in hard to the earlier point I was trying to make.

Overall, super excited. This stuff really does seem next-gen to me -- and a huge paradigm shift in terms of how we deal with detail in games. It reminds me about the granularity MS was showing off with meshlets in DX12; being able to cull to almost perfect precision high density models bought them a lot of performance, so it stands to reason that if you can cut off all waste you can reasonably do what they have set out to do here.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
The Sony SSD is faster. You're asking the wrong question. The question is how much that difference matters for this demo. Tim already said this same demo runs will on current mid-high end PC configs, without the fancy SSD tech. So maybe it's not especially important here at all.

Youre right it might not be important. But I am just taking tims word as is, people in this thread cant accept that they didnt demo on Xbox instead because they are convinced it is objectively better in all possible ways. Im sure there are pros and cons to each console and perhaps tim wanted to showcase the streaming abilities on PS5 because the SSD is faster and to show best case scenario in terms of streaming. All we know is they decided to do a demo using PS5. Im sure their partnership had to do with it but that doesnt mean tech wasnt a factor either.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If you move a game to UE5 from UE4, you're going to get benefits but if you're deep in development, pipelines are set and content is coming together, you're not going to make a drastic switch to Nanite and upend all that work you've already done unless you're pushing your game back.

Games built from the ground up with Nanite and Lumen are going to look incredible but we're years away from that.
Agreed. It would be a massive jump for some but Epic have always pushed towards helping people migrate. I guess it depends on how different UE5 is from UE4. I am guessing the workflow will be similar and stuff like blueprints etc.

I can see teams like the Coalition already adding features from UE5 into their plans now, so maybe it will be easier.

I guess we will find out soon..ish...

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Has anyone gif'd the part where two holes in the ceiling open up and light pours into the tomb or w/e?
That might have been my favorite part of the demo. We've never had such natural dynamic light without serious elbow grease and smoke 'n mirrors!

Then 3 seconds later you see the statue made out of a bajillion triangles..... and then 5 seconds later "oh, we filled a whole room full of these and more".

Here quick webm, didn't find good cutoff point for the end :(

gfycat.com

Unreal Engine 5 - Hallway GIF by Tovarisc | Gfycat

Watch and share Unreal GIFs and Epic GIFs by Tovarisc on Gfycat

Last edited:

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
were the biggest reason why virtual texturing kind of died before it caught on.
Storage size will continue being a limiting factor if you target unique detail at high density. Obviously consessions will be made to fit things into "shippable" sizes.
Production pipelines were another challenge though.