• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
image0.jpg

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao, glad to hear it seems to ease development. Now, don't replace that with hardship in some other area of development. Real talk, does it seem like development will be easier for next gen?

Loved the music choices, I was crying, lol.

You won't get reported from me for that alone. Nice surprise, no one leaked it was running on PS5.

Certainly easier in many ways compared to this generation, from asset creation to optimization and even publishing. There's been a big focus from the platform holders of speeding up the time it takes for things to come "online." It's too early for me to hypothesize new pain points though. We're really just getting started, it's only really been a year for us with next gen hardware.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Seems like Epic was planning to do this anyway to show off their engine, as apart of Keighleys summer of games or whatever. Then, either because of close relationships with Sony or Sony reaching out specifically, they tried to rebrand it as a PS5 thing. Makes sense as PS5 has been largely left out of the next gen discussion. However its quite obvious we aren't seeing anything that won't be possible, or even perform better, on SeX as well. Overall very cool demo.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm struggling to see how people think this looks so much better than other stuff we've already seen like Cyberpunk, StarCitizen, Etc.

Looks great, but also as expected based on what's already out there.
Its less about it looking better but more about how things are going to be far easier to develop. Lots of stuff already done was faked with baked lighitng, normal maps, etc and all that work is unnecessary now if this is true.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Nice piece of linear 3D model tourism. All world animations were clearly pre-scripted. The rocks look rockier than ever!

This demo is really depressing ifs its any signal of next gen. Detailed 3D models crammed in by the millions isn't impressive anymore. Where is the new gameplay??? We have already flown through rich detailed environments. we have already crammed through rocky caves and ran on walls. We have already climbed up cliffs that crumble in a prescripted sequence. This demo was a big nothingburger on the gameplay front.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Seems like Epic was planning to do this anyway to show off their engine, as apart of Keighleys summer of games or whatever. Then, either because of close relationships with Sony or Sony reaching out specifically, they tried to rebrand it as a PS5 thing. Makes sense as PS5 has been largely left out of the next gen discussion. However its quite obvious we aren't seeing anything that won't be possible, or even perform better, on SeX as well. Overall very cool demo.
I'm suspecting the flying part is streaming an enormous amount of data from the SSD.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

Mr_Nothin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nice piece of linear 3D model tourism. All world animations were clearly pre-scripted. The rocks look rockier than ever!

This demo is really depressing ifs its any signal of next gen. Detailed 3D models crammed in by the millions isn't impressive anymore. Where is the new gameplay??? We have already flown through rich detailed environments. we have already crammed through rocky caves and ran on walls. We have already climbed up cliffs that crumble in a prescripted sequence. This demo was a big nothingburger on the gameplay front.
Which is exactly why this was a tech demo....it's showing off the new tech & isn't about the gameplay at all.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017

It's a demo of a game engine. Not a game.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
All this excitement thanks to the next gen PS5 gameplay reveal of the U5 tech demo, now imagine when Sony shows HZD2...they will break the internet

Also Arksys. I wanna see what people who focus on cell shading and other nonrealistic art styles end up doing with this.

Also can't wait for Jump Force 2 with even more artistically dissonant visuals.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
This demonstration single-handedly eviscerates many bullshit arguments about next-gen - principally that SSDs won't change anything beyond improving load times. The flying sequence at the end just simply is not possible on current-gen hardware and thus isn't something that can be simply "scaled down".

This technology has profound implications for us end users but for developers as well. That's equally exciting.

Bravo to Epic for their accomplishments and giving us an excellent glimpse at technologies built for next-generation hardware from the ground up.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
available 2021?

that's just disappointing.

means we probably won't get a non epic UE5 game for years.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has anyone gif'd the part where two holes in the ceiling open up and light pours into the tomb or w/e?

That might have been my favorite part of the demo. We've never had such natural dynamic light without serious elbow grease and smoke 'n mirrors!

Then 3 seconds later you see the statue made out of a bajillion triangles..... and then 5 seconds later "oh, we filled a whole room full of these and more".

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Those bottlenecks are removed, that's the point, it was mentioned in the video, open world games not longer have to be dumped down due technical constraints, you're no longer dealing with draw calls, LODs, you're material instruction counts can be higher, etc etc, and in terms of assets, that one demo had billions of polygons, that dwarfs any open world game currently in existence, i've worked on a few, working on one right now.

Your comment makes me realize there must be some pre-processing. What if I try to drop a 100TB asset into a game? So it must create some kind of detail hierarchy during a baking phase of some kind.

But it makes me wonder why they demoed such a narrow environment if the system runs assets independent on the environment like you say.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
available 2021?

that's just disappointing.

means we probably won't get a non epic UE5 game for years.

To be fair we probably wouldn't anyway since current gen systems will probably be supported for a good few years. By the time the transition is over you'll probably see quite a few UE5 (V?) games.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I'm keeping my expectations tempered, but beyond the in-engine Hellblade 2 cutscene, this demo has been the first truly wow moment in anything next gen I've seen, so in a way it came at the perfect time, because I was starting to doubt the next gen jump would actually be that notable.
Remember what virtualized geometry could do over a decade ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ned4N4fLF_I - and that was using storage several hundred times slower than the PS5 SSD (not to mention how GPU constrained that was).
Storage limitations become a thing very quickly with unique-detail at this scale&density though.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This demonstration single-handedly eviscerates many bullshit arguments about next-gen - principally that SSDs won't change anything beyond improving load times. The flying sequence at the end just simply is not possible on current-gen hardware and thus isn't something that can be simply "scaled down".

This technology has profound implications for us end users but for developers as well. That's equally exciting.

Bravo to Epic for their accomplishments and giving us an excellent glimpse at technologies built for next-generation hardware from the ground up.
Oh it can be scaled down, you can pre cache it and have low quality models, lots of repetitions around.
It's not possible to do it in current gen the way it's done here, but to have a flying section like that is possible because we've had fast flying section in games before too.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017

It's a tech demo.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Remember what virtualized geometry could do over a decade ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ned4N4fLF_I - and that was using storage several hundred times slower than the PS5 SSD (not to mention how GPU constrained that was).
Storage limitations become a thing very quickly with unique-detail at this scale&density though.
I feel storage speed (as well as storage size since average storage size and game size it was not as large a decade ago) were the biggest reason why virtual texturing kind of died before it caught on. That plus obviously the CPU/GPU constraint they had when using virtual texturing (like with idtech 5)

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I lol'd at the "squeeze through the narrow passage slowly" scene. SSDs eliminating load times and devs keep "hidden loading" mechanics because they're "cinematic" would be hilarious.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
That might have been my favorite part of the demo. We've never had such natural dynamic light without serious elbow grease and smoke 'n mirrors!

Then 3 seconds later you see the statue made out of a bajillion triangles..... and then 5 seconds later "oh, we filled a whole room full of these and more".

Im not even a developer and cant fully understand everything that was discussed in the video, but the feeling I'm getting is that the trickery and finesse to make things happen before, theres a lot less of it to do and some stuff straight up works now.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Kinf of a dumb comment. RDR2 has all that he described (more so than Skyrim) and looks, well we all know how good it looks. Skyrim looks bad because it's tied to an ancient tech, and visuals are generally not that developer's very strong suit.
Good point. The Skyrim comparison does seem weird especially with FO4 being a newer and better looking iteration of the same tech.

However, I do think it's worth pointing out the things not shown in the demo since they are more essential to the core design of certain types of games.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Such a boring console, no redeeming qualities whatsoever, only advantage is 100p on res. :)
That's what you get when you only brute force power with PC parts put together 😎
I can't wait to see actual next gen games and hope people won't be disappointed when they see them and not being in the same league as this tech demo. They will still look absolutely great but at the same time it's great to a glimpse of the future, even if we have to wait for it.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a tech demo. You won't get raw, max quality assets littering any game that actually has to be made into a game.

Beyond that, the benefit of Raw max quality assets diminishes the further away from the screen they are. There's no need to even shoot for that outside a tech demo.

It's not just art style. But the actual tech on display and playable in cyberpunk is well beyond what in this demo.

No way does Cyberpunk push this much geometry or have this level of GI. Accept the demo for what it is showing you - a proof of concept. You may prefer Cyberpunk's look, but it's not pushing the same quality of polygons or textures.

Otherwise, show us exactly what you're talking about in Cyberpunk.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
I am expecting it to hold up to this. Horizon Frozen Dawn looks insane on current gen.

Same. I wasn't super serious. :p

I don't expect Decima to throw a bajillion polygons at the screen like UE5 is doing o I guess the super ultra high definity shown here won't be in any other games for a while. But other than that I think this is the kind of lighting and general geometry we can expect from AAA games in near future. Exciting times!

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely looks impressive, but chances of games actually looking like that are probably slim aren't they?
(Going by previous history of tech demos)